Type keyword(s) to search

Hollywood Divas - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Paula sitting on the floor folding clothes, in the middle of a bunch of garbage bags talking with her husband about how folks were jealous of their "love" made me very sad for her mental state.

You and that man are living in the trap house from Hustle and Flow. Ain't nobody jealous of that shit.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 9

So Paula missed Sundance, and all of the important press for the film, and she thinks that marrying a production assistant is the reason that nobody wants to work with her??? I wonder if Paula and her husband have/had a drug problem. There seems to be a lot that Elise knows but doesn't want to say, especially when Paula brought up Sundance.

• Love 2

Paula's husband should really be embarrassed by his portrayal on this show.  "I'm not poor, I'm broke"?  Does he realize they're one and the same?  Trying to live off of a wife who isn't working doesn't make you look good bruh!  I guess she's getting some money for doing this show, but I wonder what his contribution is?  I would have never allowed those cameras in to see those clothes strewn all over the place and in garbage bags.  I would have thrown them in the closet while the cameras were there and sorted through them later.  Do they not have any pride? 

Paula needs to make sure she's camera ready at all times like Elise does.  Every scene that Elise has been in shows her with every hair in place and makeup on point.  If any producer was to see this and consider you for a part in their play, movie or whatever, why would you want them to see you at your worst?  Paula just looks cracked out on this show, like past characters she has played.  She keeps blaming being blackballed on her choice of a mate but she needs a reality check.  Hollywood producers don't give a hang who your husband is.  They care about you being able to act, and not just in one-trick-pony prostitution/whore roles and they care about you being reliable and showing up on time for promotional tours for their movie, play or whatever.  She really needs to get it together.

• Love 1

Paula's husband should really be embarrassed by his portrayal on this show.  "I'm not poor, I'm broke"?  Does he realize they're one and the same?  

Please note english's not my first language but I took it like poor is a permanent state as broke is a phase between two more wealthy periods.

Not to defend him, I think he's an ass from what we've seen so far, it's for my own culture I'm asking !  

• Love 1

Can we get back to the subject at hand?  Topic: What is going on with her teeth, tho???  Discuss.

Here's my thing: I'm pretty sure they've always been that way, even when she was working pretty regularly.  Like, if you were on one tooth and wanted to visit the next tooth, you couldn't just walk across the border - you'd have to rent a car and drive.  What is really going on?  Why is there enough space for another tooth to squeeze in between each tooth?  And why do they look jagged?  She has meth mouth.  Is she on meth?  Is that why they're living out of lawn bags in the no tell motel?  Please advise.

• Love 3

Can we get back to the subject at hand? Topic: What is going on with her teeth, tho??? Discuss.

Here's my thing: I'm pretty sure they've always been that way, even when she was working pretty regularly. Like, if you were on one tooth and wanted to visit the next tooth, you couldn't just walk across the border - you'd have to rent a car and drive. What is really going on? Why is there enough space for another tooth to squeeze in between each tooth? And why do they look jagged? She has meth mouth. Is she on meth? Is that why they're living out of lawn bags in the no tell motel? Please advise.

I have never been so angry in the am. SistaLadybug, I cannot stand you. Please be my new bestie!!

But seriously, have the teeth always had to call each other? I'm going to skim Hustle and Flow when I get to my desk because I just don't remember them being this distant.

Maybe she wears false teeth like Toddlers and Tiaras?

• Love 2

I may be alone here but I don't have a problem with Paula'a mother. I get the feeling that Paula's slide started when she met her husband and that is where the anger lies. If she was having problems on the set and missing Sundance, which you drag yourself out of your hospital bed to get too, there were obviously some serious issues going on. My money is on drugs. Mom has probably been trying to save her daughter for years. Nothing out of Paula's mouth is logical. Her husband can't work because she needs him with her to call quiet on the set because people won't listen to her? She isn't directing or producing anything. He looks and sounds so out of it that I want to know who would listen to anything he says. She hasn't been on a set in years so what is the exuse for him not working? Paula obviously only got that house because she got a paycheck from this show. What is she going to do when it is over? It's one thing to be living in a motel while trying to find work or a better job. It is quite another to be living there while actively choosing not to work.

Although Elise's wigs/weaves sometimes need a little work, she does always look well put together. All of the other women do as well, except for Paula. I never understood allowing yourself to look or act like crap when you are an actress. It's a superficial profession and you have to comply with it.

• Love 3

Please note english's not my first language but I took it like poor is a permanent state as broke is a phase between two more wealthy periods.

I think that's what he meant too, but it's not something to brag about, and neither is telling your husband not to work because you need him. Paula made no sense. Why in the world would anyone on a set listen to Forrest? Is he the director? Who cares what he says?

• Love 1

Both Paula and her husband are sickeningly delusional. Toting around trash bags full of your belongings is the bottom for me. The Container Store sells inexpensive laundry bags. Why the trash bags?

I think we should call Paula's teeth "toofuses". They stopped being normal looking teeth a long time ago.

• Love 3

Paula's husband is out of line in many ways.  Paula should not have to tell him to go get a job.  He should get a job to take care of his family.  There is nothing wrong with having a dream and a job at the same time.  Many of us want to do other things while maintaining a job to pay our bills.  Hollywood, IMO, is just like any other job.   You work hard and you make the most of your opportunities.  You keep striving for your goals, but you pay your bills in the meantime.  Paula chose this career and most people no matter their race or sex don't make it in Hollywood.

If Paula married this dude to get over in the game, she married poorly.

Edited by ToukieSmith
  • Love 2

You know who I would have liked to see on this show?  Lisa Nicole Carson.  Remember her from Love Jones?  ER?  I'd like to replace Paula Jai with Lisa.

Two episodes in and I'm very much over Paula.

I look up Lisa from time to time to see if she is acting.  During the height of her career she was on two hit shows simultaneously and making movies in her spare time.  I was saddened to find out she suffered from Bipolar Disorder.  I was glad to see that David Kelley hired her for a couple of episodes of Harry's Law.

I would like to see her on this show too.

LisaRaye would have been an excellent choice....she sho nuff would have no problem putting Golden/Elise in their places if they stepped to her incorrectly.

I stopped seeing it for Lisa Raye when she had that Reality Show and her staff held a prayer over her as she laid in bed over a lost suitcase

I got a question. Paula said she doesn't want Forrest to get a "regular" job because then he'd be giving up on his dream...Well he was  a PA right? What could he have possibly been on the fast track to?  What is PA a stepping stone to, when it comes to TV and Movies?  Because I always thought they were glorified gophers.

It's so scary and disturbing that Countess performed her own abortion. She has a lot of issues that she needs to sort out, but not on television. Her story of the woman talking about her on the set of "227" was so sad. Words have a lot of power and even though the person didn't know she heard them they should've never said those words about a child. Golden and Elise get a side-eye for claiming they don't see her as a project. She's the fat girl who they want to fix. Yes, Countess can lose weight for health reasons, but Golden and Elise come across as shallow with their "help".

Paula and her Walker-looking husband can also get the fuck out of here. Dude is a loser. And so is Paula. Their delusions of grandeur know no bounds. The way he speaks to her mom is ridiculous. Paula thinks it's cute, too, because she didn't check him when he said he's trying hard not speak to her(Paula's mom) like a bitch on the street. I wish someone would say some shit like that to my mom. Paula and her husband are assholes. And they were still living out of trash bags!

Golden should exit stage left with her dancing. She's horrible on so many levels. Acting, dancing, personality,etc.

• Love 1

I continue to watch this show for Countess.  I'm glad she got Elise and Golden together about trying to make her their project.  The clothes Elise wanted to put Countess in looked like they came from the BLAIR circular you get in the Sunday coupons.  Countess has an apple shape and trying to put her in muu muus isn't going to hide that apple shape.  It's people like Elise, Golden & Pearl from 227* that have done a number on Countess' self esteem.

Golden was seething over Lisa's project and whining about her name dropping but at least Lisa has some names to drop.  Golden needs to have a seat.

Elise, no one cares about Assorted Flavors.  No one.

Paula and her husband are bums.  How is Paula's husband talking reckless to Paula's mom when he's living in her condo?  Why is Mama Claudia (I think that's her name) picking up Onederful from school? Neither Paula nor BumHusband have a job so why is Mama Claudia picking the boy up? I need Iyanla to come fix their lives.

*Countess said the person who said the mean things to her on 227 was older and from another time.  She said Marla Gibbs was nice to her, I can't imagine the man who played Lester would say things to her, the person was "older" so that rules out Calvin, Brenda & Sondra (who wasn't that old when the show aired), I also can't imagine Rose saying mean things so that leaves Pearl as the culprit.

Edited by drivethroo
  • Love 3

I agree that it has to be Pearl, drivethroo. She said it was a her so that rules out all the men. Didn't Countess play Pearl's granddaughter or great-niece on the show? Imagine having to share scenes with someone who says such ugly things about you.

Oh man, the look on Elise's face as Golden struggles through the relatively simple choreography is priceless. Bet she's kicking herself for putting Golden in the show, but at least she's being professional and trying to work through it with Golden.

Loved when Golden said to Countess that she was "indirectly" lumping her in with Elisa, and Countess responded, "no, I'm directly telling you right now." Love her!

Paula's husband is a jackass. How dare he refer to her mother as "some bitch off the street". Say what you will about Todd Tucker, but despite everything that Mama ajoyce has said/done to him, he's never disrepected her. And Paula just sat there with that half-wit smile on her face.

One of the things that bothers me about these shows is that they always try to force the ladies into friendships. Aren't their current friends good enough? I'd like to see Golden talking to Regina whats herface from Best Man, or Elise hanging out with her actress friend (Tammy Townsend? ) who came to watch the rehearsal, or Countess and Shar doing what they normally do when they get together.

Edited by luckyroll3
  • Love 1

Lol! You guys are killing me. I think her teeth look much more aweful than they have in the past because they've been whitened a lot, which make them stand out much more. They kept fucking distracting me during her talking heads. Kind of reminded me of Pennywise the clown's teeth (from the book/movie It), only less daggery.

Paula looks straight up crazy in every scene. She's either a druggie or she has some mental illness. There is just something really off about her.

Edited by luckyroll3

What is PA a stepping stone to, when it comes to TV and Movies?  Because I always thought they were glorified gophers.

Someone may correct me if I am wrong but I think Todd Tucker, executive producer of this show and husband of Kandi Burress, started as a PA.

This isn’t the first time Countess mentioned behind the scenes drama on 227….when she first spoke about it on Celebrity Fit Club, she mentioned the negative person being a woman; now, I assumed it was Marla Gibbs as Marla has always been about keeping fit. But in the back of my head I wondered if it was the late Helen Martin as well, and last night it was clear that she meant Helen.  Helen always reminded me of my late paternal grandmother and not in a good way, because as a child she would always verbally abuse me about my weight.  I really felt for Countess about her body issues and could totally relate; it really is true what they say about words hurting more than a fist.  And the clothing store?  Eesh, reminds me of Catherine’s/Chico’s or those other ‘distinguished but frumpy as fuck’ type of clothing for heavy-set women.

Paula – Sigh.  Um, what in the bluedilly fuck is Forrest’s dream/destiny?  Anyone know?  Ever hear of the casting couch, honey?  That goes on everywhere, most women are strong enough to shut it down; how is having him around going to stop the catcalls (that by the way are in her head, chile done long past her Sprung sexy years, I’m just sayin’!)  I will say I was Team Forrest though regarding her mother.  Look, I know the man’s a bum but at the end of the day, he’s still a human being and should be treated with some civility.  If she doesn’t like him then she doesn’t need to be around the man….and share your negative thoughts about him with Paula!  Sometimes, just ‘cause you’re old don’t mean that you should get to say whatever the fuck you want and not expect to be treated the same way back.

Lisa – Luh ya girl, but you should have kept your movie news to yourself….let the haters (Elise/Golden) google the news and choke on it. 

Golden – Yeah, reality stars are keeping you from getting the good jobs….your attitude stinks worse than a crackwhore after sex, maybe you need to work on it.

Elise – Whatever with the Assorted Nuts.

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 2

While I don't advocate cursing out your mother-in-law in general, I kind of see where Forrest is coming from. They've been together almost a decade and have a son together. SHe's going to have to let it go and let Paula make her own mistakes and decisions. If you couldn't stop them from getting married, you certainly aren't going to be able to force them to divorce or do anything else you want them to do. Stop disrespecting him in his home. Talk all the smack about me outside that you want. But you're not going to sit at my table, eating my food and disrespect me. Even if I deserve it. LOL. I thought Todd let Mama Joyce go on way too long since Kandi made no moves to stop it. People can't demand respect for their position while they are simultaneously being disrespectful to the person they're making demands of. Not cool. Again, maybe not curse her out or call her a B. But make clear that this is not okay and it is inappropriate. And that should come from Paula and Forrest. You can't disrespect the father of your only childhild so openly and think he has to sit there quietly and take it because you're his mother-in-law. If she can be so free with her feelings about him, she can't complain when he's as free with his feelings about her actions.

Now, I'm not saying she should pay for it, i.e. pay their bills, let them live for free in her condo or raise their kid. But she can absolutely be quiet about her feelings on the matter. If you're that worried, offer to let 1derful stay with you and let them live out of trash bags if they want to. LOL

• Love 1

I think PA is entry level to production and directing. It's how you get your start, and you move up from there. It doesn't seem like Forrest has progressed though.

He does not seem to be a hustler.  Someone like Todd would run rings around him.

I cheered when Golden said Countess's remarks may have been directed at her indirectly and Countess replied "No, not indirectly." I would watch a Countess reality show. She needs a make under though.

The "pursue your dream at the expense of income" time ends when you have a child, I'm sorry.

Golden is one of those people who tries to sound smarter than she is, and fails.

• Love 2

This episode made me shake my head.  

Who was the man Paula went to?  What does he know about black people today?  The advise he gave her might have been true 30 years ago, but black people aren't all religious and I really don't think younger black people would mind witches.  I hate it when people put all blacks in one basket.

I understand what Paula's mother was talking about.  I can't stand it when women marry losers either and I really don't understand it.  But I could relate to Forrest; I have a friend whose mother-in-law hates her for all kinds of reasons (some of those reasons are justified IMO), and no matter what happens, it's always her fault.  Though I can't stand Forrest and I think he's another sorry ass man, for some strange reason, Paula picked him and her mother has to respect that, some women think that losers are all they deserve, and some women may pick losers for all types of reasons.  

I agree 100% with what mother in law said about getting a job though; at some point you have to stop being an "artist," especially if it doesn't pay the bills.  

• Love 1

Paula made me chuckle when in her TH she said the other women didn't have a "pot to piss in or window to throw it out of".

Paula sweetie, that phrase belongs to you and only you and your garbage living husband.

YES! She's out here choosing her luggage by gallon size and had the nerve to say some mess like that... 

• Love 2

YES! She's out here choosing her luggage by gallon size and had the nerve to say some mess like that...

*note to self...never drink anything while reading this thread*

I'm still laughing at this! You'd think it'd be cheaper to buy an inexpensive set of luggage instead of constantly buying trash bags.

I mean, why isn't their shit at least in boxes? You mean her shit is so raggedy that they couldn't even afford Storage USA? And now that they're in the house they are STILL getting dressed out of garbage bags! Is there no Salvation Army nearby where they can at least but a chest of drawers?

Maybe this IS the art and we're all just too dim to understand it.

Edited because I know the difference btwn there, their and they're.

Edited by Brooklynista
  • Love 1

It's bad enough that they live out of Hefty bags, but why does it seem that Paula is forever taking their paltry clothing items out of the bags, refolding them and then loading them into other bags?  Does she think their eleven outfits will multiply through the laying on of hands?  Does she think if she packs and re-packs often enough, those garbage bags will become Louis Vuitton?

I howled when she swanned into that meeting wearing a huge Joan Crawford hat and cape.  Girl.  GIRL.  You literally own 30 lawn-sized trash bags and some MAC cosmetics items that probably went rancid three years ago.  You are no one's diva.  I did, however, scream out "SHADE!!!" when she made Golden the crackhead.  LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  Golden, my love, you already got a crackhead's weave - go on 'head and embrace it, boo.

• Love 5

What in the fuckity fuck?!

1) The best actor in the whole thing was the dude who played the inmate Elise did in the interview room (or wherever they were supposed to be).

2) THE WEAVES.  Golden's highlights look green and Elise is noticeably bald.  No edges at all.  I'm pretty sure she has fallen prey to Naomi Campbell syndrome and her hairline starts halfway back on her head.

3) Why was Golden nekkid underneath a kicky blazer?  Who made that costuming choice?

4) Golden's Masters degree didn't help her acting. She's gonna play Maya Wilkes in every role she's given, isn't she?  I was waiting for her to roll her neck and say, "Oh, hell no!"

5) Has Countess been banished to the bed because she's fat?  Because, if so, at least she's getting the kitty eaten while she's at it.

Elise is noticeably bald. No edges at all.

It's obvious on the show too. The wig with bangs she wears isn't good, but at least it covers up the fact that she's bald. The side part is not her friend. All of them except Lisa, whose hair is hers, seem to be struggling with hair loss - Paula's part is very wide, and Countess has been open about her hair loss.

Countess is the only one who comes off well here. She has great comedic timing, and I hope she gets some work (I mean it - I'd watch a reality show with her at the center). Lisa is terrible - really flat. And Golden is incredibly limited - she really does bring Maya to everything. And that editing looks a mess. This could be a career-killer, honestly.

• Love 2

I'm sorry, but Paula was being foul as hell by making Golden the crackhead! And Paula gets to play what? The older, wise sister with a Yale degree. Uh huh. Elise plays what? The oldest sister. Paula knew she was throwing that shade by making sure Elise remembers that she's not a spring chicken anymore. Ugh. Despite what that man said to Paula, I don't agree that the black community wouldn't watch a film about black witches. My friends and I are huge sci-fi fans and we are always complaining that we  want to see more black women and men in fantasy/sci-fi films/books. The black community is so varied that we can't act like we all share the exact same interests. We don't.

I want to hug Countess. She just seems so sad to me. I bet she was talking about Pearl from 227 (Helen Martin, I think). I remember her talking about getting bullied on the 227 set years ago and most people assumed she was talking about Marla or Jackee. However, the fact that Countess emphasized that the person was of a different generation, Helen fits the bill. I just looked at her Wiki and she was born in 1909. In my experience, elderly people don't give a shit, will say all kinds of shit to you, and dare you to do something about it.

I never cared for Lisa Wu on RHoATL, but I did laugh good and hard when she was bragging about her new movie while Golden sat there with a grimace. I get why Golden is mad someone like Lisa is able to get roles while she isn't, but her attitude is so stank.

On another note, everything about Paula and her husband just seems raggedy to me. From the clothes to the way they keep everything in plastic bags to the way Forrest talked to his mother-in-law. Just raggedy.

• Love 2

I see that Golden got her character changed from a crackhead to a schizophrenic.  Although, to me, she looked like she was still playing a crackhead.  Sarah Lawrence needs to take her acting degree back, because she is terrible.  

• Love 2

Who was the man Paula went to?  What does he know about black people today?  The advise he gave her might have been true 30 years ago, but black people aren't all religious and I really don't think younger black people would mind witches.  I hate it when people put all blacks in one basket.

Well over 30 years ago I grew up in a black Christian household and Bewitched was one of our family's favorite after school shows.  I agree the consultant gave very bad advice.  They could have been on the something.

Edited by SpringTulips
  • Love 1

That man Paula met was narrow-minded and stupid. I'm a Black, Christian woman who loves watching zombies, witches/warlocks, werewolves, vampires, etc. I don't know what Black folks he's talking to, but he should never make that generalized statement again.

This is kind of random but whenever the music is played for the commercials/bumper scenes it reminds me of the old Comic View theme music.

• Love 1

I did, however, scream out "SHADE!!!" when she made Golden the crackhead.  LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!  Golden, my love, you already got a crackhead's weave - go on 'head and embrace it, boo.

I have a strong feeling that if Golden does agree to play that role, we will still get Maya playing a crackhead.  The girl doesn't seem to have much versatility. 

Paula is so wicked.  She's giving me a strong Nikki Gilbert vibe the way she brought all of these women together just so she can shit on them.  It seems she tries to make herself look good by making them look bad.  She and her shiftless husband deserve each other.

Countess continues to break my heart.  She still seems very medicated to me.  I'm wondering if she's on Prozac or some other mind altering drug.  When she was in the therapist's office, I kept expecting her to pass out on the therapist's desk.  I guess it's the way her voice sounds so slurry and hoarse.  I hope she's going to be okay. 

I just watched the video on TV ONE of Elise and Assorted Flavors and all I can say is....CRINGEWORTHY!!!  Is she serious?!  Now I see why the Pussycat Dolls got recognition and Assorted Flavors didn't.  Paula was giving commentary during their dance and I agree with everything she said.  The moves were so dated and so were the dancers.  Yes, Elise looks good for a 48 year old, but as a dancer, she's jiggly and not toned.  Most dancers are toned where their thighs aren't shaking like Jello when they dance.  I know I'm being superficial, but Elise is always pushing this group like they're the best thing going.  She needs to stick to acting and let that dance thing go...just let it go!

My question is who is clamor ing for these Assorted Flavors? Are we huddled around each other's cubicles saying

"Girl I heard dem Assorted Flavors are in town! "

"Word?, well I have got to get to Barry's Batbershop to get my tickets before they sell out"

Just where is she trying to hype this tired dance group?

• Love 3