Type keyword(s) to search

Hollywood Divas - General Discussion

• Start Topic

President Obama is smizing.

What bothers me most about Paula, her child, and her husband living in a motel is that neither of the adults pulled up their boot straps and found a job - ANY job - to provide for their son Onederful(that name...). The desperation to remain a Hollywood "diva" is too strong in her and he's a piece of shit for having his family live there.

• Love 4

During my regular life, I speak properly....but in this forum, ya'll heathens got me ackin' all brody and shit!  Try as I might to avoid it, I get all Tasha Mack up in here! (Chews on Grape Now & Laters, pops on BBQ Sunflower Seeds)

But don't take that out on Lisa.  Don't hate the player, hate the game.  Hate the game that hires a Beyonce who can't act over a trained actress because producers feel Beyonce fans will fill the movie seats and the trained actress can't.

BOOM!  (Drops mike on floor)....that's exactly what I was thinking but didn't add in my post.

And Golden gives me bulimia vibes so Countess needs to skim Lil Golden Book and put her back on the shelf.

This is what I'm talkin' bout.....so wrong, but so goddamned funny, LMAO!

When Paula went to meet Lisa, she said she was wearing the dark shades because her make-up artist was heavy handed.  Make-up artist? Who lives in an extended stay and has a make-up artist?  Does he have an adjoining room?  Is it included in the extended stay package like free breakfast?

Aaaaand DONE!  Ya'll have truly made my muhfuckin' day, I love you guys!!

One thing Funky Dineva said that I forgot about regarding Paula....how in the bluedilly hell did she have cizzash to pay for that eye procedure if she's so broke?!

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 1

I don't like Golden at all, but she did make an interesting point.  I think it must suck for someone to study acting in college and then have jobs "taken" by reality stars who are only hired because of their personalities, not their acting talent.

It looks like more actors are doing reality shows than there are reality stars being hired as real actors.  Tit for tat.

• Love 5

When Paula went to meet Lisa, she said she was wearing the dark shades because her make-up artist was heavy handed.  Make-up artist? Who lives in an extended stay and has a make-up artist?  Does he have an adjoining room?  Is it included in the extended stay package like free breakfast?

Hell, up to the procedure, I thought her husband punched her in the eye.

I understand Golden's feelings about the acting craft and what it is worth these days, but she still didn't need to shade Lisa.  If Golden had just googled her, then she probably would have shut her piehole. I didn't like her pulling Lisa to the side to make her give her credentials. Did she think Paula gave her the Producer nod for shits and giggles?  If Golden is that stank to someone she just met, I wonder how she treats people she knows?

• Love 2

Clearly this is something to do while that Executive Producer money rolls in.  It's easy to dismiss someone when you don't see all the things they do.  Lisa clearly has enough juice in this game.  I'll bet if Nene Leakes was on this show no one would be shading her "reality star status"! 

I think Nene would be shaded. Elise has been known to go after the big dogs around this issue of reality stars taking roles from actresses. She went after Tyler Perry for casting Kim Kardashian in his Temptations movie. If she would go after a reality star as big as Kim, then Nene sure wouldn't get away unscathed.

Edited by WimminWinning

Though I can't stand Golden, and I hated how she was to Countess, I do get what she means about black actresses.  

Years ago, a black actress would be cast for the "ethnic" role.  Now black actresses have to compete with actresses of other races for that "ethnic" role.  And many times, producers give that part to an actress with the most Caucasian features.  I think about what happened to Taraji P. Henson , who was killed off "Person of Interest" and replaced by Sarah Shahi; though Shahi technically is a woman of color, half Middle Eastern, she has more Caucasian features than Henson and I'm sure was brought on the show to bring in white, male viewers who might feel guilty finding a brown skinned woman attractive, so Henson had to go.  

So no, I don't blame Golden Brooks for how she feels, but she still shouldn't shade Lisa.

• Love 1

Countess is the one I am most sympathetic to.  She's multifaceted in that she can act and sing and has worked in comedy.  I wonder if she's auditioning for any Tyler Perry or other plays because she has chops.  I would think she would do well in that venue.  Of course, her voice is very hoarse on this show so I wonder if it has affected her singing.  I wish her all the best. 

• Love 2

I understand what Golden/Elise are complaining about, but part of me wants to smack them in the face and yell "get over it." Hollywood is not now, nor has it EVER been a strict meritocracy. And that's the case for white women too. Beauty, connections and fan base (aka butts in the seats) have always played a huge role in Hollywood some times larger than talent, and that is the case whether we are talking about "reality stars" getting cast for parts or the complaints about 10 years ago that all the rappers were taking movie roles from "trained" actors. Add in the fact that actors, trained or otherwise, are always in for a hard road, and I just don't understand why all the handwringing about reality stars. 

Golden is doing herself no favors acting out this way and apparently doesn't see or can't acknowledge the contradiction in complaining while being on a reality show. LOL. That and I've never though she was that great, masters from Sarah Lawrence or not. I also wonder why they don't shade Countess since she's not a "trained" actor either by their standards. She was a singer, won on Star Search and then started acting. That's the same career path many reality stars are taking. Countess may have taken classes and done the work since, but at the start, she did the exact same thing that Golden is complainaing about the reality stars doing.

I'm glad that Lisa isn't taking her crap and loved that she was the one who came prepared and professional to the brainstorming meeting. Which speaks to her experience in production and willingness to put in the time and work. And Golden could barely give her props for that.

• Love 3

Can we substitute Regina for Golden? Oh, wait, she's steady working. She came off a lot differently than I would have expected, considering the roles that she has played.

You know, I get Golden and Elise's arguments. But, here's the thing; sometimes, UNTRAINED "actors" do a better job than trained actors. As Regina said, a reality star can bring something fresh to the table. As much as they talk about their training, I never would have guessed that either of them had as much "pedigree" as they do, Golden, more so than Elise. 

But, as much as I dislike Golden, I think she's been spot on about everything she has said, including Countess' weight issues. The problem is the way that she says it. Tact, girl. Use it.

Frankly, I don't think Golden is a particularly good actress. Elise is a competent actress and is gorgeous. Countess has good comedic timing and is (or was) an amazing singer. I have no opinion on the skills of Paula or Lisa.

• Love 1

I have no opinion on the skills of Paula or Lisa.

Every role I've seen Paula in is as a chickenhead or a whore.  She plays those roles very well.  I haven't seen her in any other role to judge her acting abilities.

• Love 4

Why hasn't Countess consider gastric sleeve bypass surgery as opposed to lipo?  Both can be dangerous, but IMO isn't lipo more deadly?  (see James Brown's former ex-wife, who passed on the operating table)

Silver, you might want to edit the forum name, you missed the 'h' in Vaughn.

Edited by Vixenstud

Golden Brooks has played the same role her entire career. Maya on Girlfriends, Maya in Beauty Shop, Maya in that movie with Shemar Moore and Vivica Fox(Tois? Pandora's Box? Not to mention, I never liked any of those characters and now I know its because she's been playing herself, no wonder I don't like her on this show either.

And I know we all see what her parents did with her name, golden brooks? They could have also named her babbling brooks or flowing brooks....smh

Edited by Fairlily26
  • Love 7

I think about what happened to Taraji P. Henson , who was killed off "Person of Interest" and replaced by Sarah Shahi; though Shahi technically is a woman of color, half Middle Eastern, she has more Caucasian features than Henson and I'm sure was brought on the show to bring in white, male viewers who might feel guilty finding a brown skinned woman attractive, so Henson had to go.

I think skin color is definitely an issue regarding ethnic characters.  However we are also in a global economy now and Hollywood is responding to Asian, Latin and South American, and Middle Eastern global demographics in kind.

Edited by SpringTulips

I think skin color is definitely an issue regarding ethnic characters.  However we are also in a global economy now and Hollywood is responding to Asian, Latin and South American, and Middle Eastern global demographics in kind.

If that were true, then Asian, South American and Middle Eastern characters would replace white characters, not black characters.  And for some strange reason, this always seems to happen with women.  Meaning, there will always be a black man on a TV show but the woman can be any ethnicity except black.  

I have heard the "global" argument before and I think it's a clever way for producers to just be racist.  

Edited by Neurochick

If that were true, then Asian, South American and Middle Eastern characters would replace white characters.  I have heard the "global" argument before and I think it's a clever way for producers to just be racist.

there is no argument that Hollywood is not racist ..that  is given, noting that  races throughout the world  are favored in entertainment if light skinned.  It is just that Blacks can no longer expect to rely on that "minority" role, as was indicated in the show since demographics and economics may show that adding other ethnicities/races is profitable.

Edited by SpringTulips
  • Love 1

President Obama is smizing.

Hush, please.  Next thing you know this word finna be his fault too, along with: 

no wifi in the house

ebola

ostrich meat doing business as mcdonalds hamburgers

dad jeans

beyonce's new bangs (which are truly awful but aren't his fault)

• Love 3

I'm happy to hear more about why the industry "black-balled" Paula. So it turns out no one cares she has a PA boyfriend, it's that she set up house in DC(where Ronald Reagan airport is) and missed film festivals for no valid reason.

• Love 1

There are just no words that do justice to the loathing I am starting to feel for Golden.  Her little temper tantrum in front of her friend was just so juvenile.  And then she almost made it look like she was taking it out on her friend when she tried to soothe her.  Does she really think the way she's portraying herself on this show is going to help her get gigs in the future?  If I was a casting director, and I saw how she acts on this show, I would think twice before I would sign her to any project of mine.  Just no!

Paula is really a piece of work too.  Even I don't believe she was the one who came up with the idea for Elise's dance group and I had never even heard of Elise's Assorted Flavors before this show.  Paula is coming across a little cray cray and jealous.  However, I felt a little sorry for her when her mother just kept going on and on about how disappointed she was in her.  That woman really needs to get over her daughter's choice of a husband.  She's starting to give me a Mama Joyce vibe when it comes to that.  They've been together 9 years and have a child together.  She really needs to get over it.  And Paula really needs to stop keeping him from getting jobs since they're strapped for money.  And what was that clap-trap about her husband signing up to marry a rich woman, but ended up with a broke bitch but oh wait...he stayed with her anyway so it must be real love?!!!  WTF?!  Not really a good case for your husband's defense Paula. 

I like Countess, but I'm getting a self medicated vibe from her.  She seems so...I don't know...slowish?  She doesn't seem quite right to me for some reason.  And she really needs to get over her fear of hosting.  She could get a lot of gigs doing that just on her celebrity status alone.  She should have really taken some advice and mentoring from Monique when she was working with her. 

I hope Lisa's movie project does really really well just to piss Golden off.  That low blow about Keith Sweat being Lisa's only claim to fame was just unnecessary.  I think that Golden is just flat out jealous of Lisa.  She needs to get over it and work on her dull, whiny personality.

Edited by swankie
  • Love 3

Copied this from the Paula thread:

Because by and among Moesha, the Monique show (that's not what it's called, somebody say the name) and eleventeen stints on various other WB11 productions, Countess Vaughn better not be out of money.

It looks like plastic surgeons are getting quite a bit of Countess' money.  If she continues to get lipo without changing her eating habits she's going to be broke, as well as overweight and unhappy.  She also has spent a lot of money on her weaves and wigs.  I imagine it took quite a few visits to the dermatologist to deal with her skin condition caused by wearing those lace fronts.  I can believe she may be having money problems now.

• Love 1

Golden's tantrum in the store was completely dramatic and fake. She was showing off her acting talent(or lack thereof). Golden needs to get over herself. She has delusions of grandeur. I have never seen a grown women whine about something as much as Golden. Her biggest problem is her attitude.

Paula is a train wreck. The black trash bags she was toting their belongings around in, sorting dirty clothes on camera, her husband saying he's not poor he's broke, telling her mom to be patient because she's an artist, and still claiming she was blacklisted from Hollywood because of her love for her man are signs to me that Paula is lacking brain cells. Everything about her irritates me. I only feel sorry for her child because his parents are losers.

Countess might have a lot of phobias she hasn't dealt with. She needs therapy

• Love 1

Watch Paula and Golden say that they were "acting" in this reality show.  "It showed my RANGE! I am a great actress, I really am!"  ;)

Paula is certifiable.  "When Forrest speaks, everybody listens." Bullshit.  He sounds like a petulant child!  Paula has some deep issues.  That "we are artists!" crap is fine and dandy until you have a child.  Then you suck it up and provide for that child!  Paula's mom needs to get that boy.  Plus, she can't stand Forrest. Live with that, because that is not going to change.  It's been 9 years and clearly he is not going to sack up and provide for his family.

• Love 3

Great points, Swankie!

Does Golden really think the way she's portraying herself on this show is going to help her get gigs in the future?  If I was a casting director, and I saw how she acts on this show, I would think twice before I would sign her to any project of mine.

Precisely what I was thinking.....as for her friend Donna, while snapping at her was uncalled for, I have learned that sometimes when people suffer a disappointment to lay low for a few minutes then talk to them when they have calmed down.

Paula is coming across a little cray cray.

DING-DING-DING!  And tonight's eppy proved it 100%.  Her moms was getting on my nerves, I liked Paula countering with 'but you didn't marry a rich man'.  Look Mama, you may not like Forrest, but that's your daughter's husband....keep up the negative talk and you just might alienate yourself from her and your grandson.

And what was that clap-trap about her husband signing up to marry a rich woman, but ended up with a broke bitch but oh wait...he stayed with her anyway so it must be real love?!!!  WTF?!

(whispers).....This is where the cray-cray comes in.  Girl please, it isn't like Hustle and Flow had your ass driving an Escalade or anything.  And her hubs saying he's broke, not poor?  Doesn't make you look better, dude.

"When Forrest speaks, everybody listens."

Most tellers do when they have a gun in their face along with a stick up note.....oooh, did I say that?

Countess needs to get over her fear of hosting.  She could get a lot of gigs doing that just on her celebrity status alone.  She should have really taken some advice and mentoring from Monique when she was working with her.

I could relate to where I think she was going with that....stage fright is bad enough, but having stage fright as a big girl is worse.

I hope Lisa's movie project does really really well just to piss Golden off.  That low blow about Keith Sweat being Lisa's only claim to fame was just unnecessary.  I think that Golden is just flat out jealous of Lisa.

Yup!  And did you check out trick explaining to Elise how shady Lisa was treating her?!  She's been nothing but cordial to you, you're the one hating on her.

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 3

Anyone else notice how Elise kept changing her story about why she didn't show up to meeting?  First she didn't know about it and she didn't get any phone calls.  Then, she told the next person she got all these messages, but didn't know why, but her schedule for the day was already set.  Every time she spoke to a new person she had a different response.  It was annoying.

I loved that during the gym scene with Lisa, Countess was all "fuck this fake working out shit; can we get to the point of this scene: Gossiping about Golden.  Thanks!"

Is it just me, or was Golden awful in that scene she practiced.  Maybe that's why she doesn't get call backs?

• Love 1

I love Lisa.  I always give her a side eye when she talks about her numerous businesses.  But she's definitely that one friend, who is cool as hell and fun to hang out with, but you know that she's full of shit most of the time, but it's okay cause she's not an asshole.

Edited by luckyroll3
  • Love 2

I don't understand all the negative comments she keeps making about reality show stars and how she wouldn't lower herself and wants to earn her way by her talent and "doing the work".  Does she not get that she is currently on a reality show?  Does she think it's a documentary?

• Love 4

I liked the gym scene with Lisa and Countess.  There was definitely a lot going on this episode but I am stuck with this:  How could you miss SUNDANCE FREAKING FILM FESTIVAL and expect people to take you seriously.  As someone pointed out earlier, she was living in DC and Ronald Reagan National is most accessible...metro stops there.  Otherwise she would be flying out of Virginia (Dulles) or Baltimore. 

Still, her mom is a piece of work.  Maam, You chose to have a child, so don't put it on the child regarding the sacrifices you made.

Edited by SpringTulips
  • Love 3

I liked the gym scene with Lisa and Countess.  There was definitely a lot going on this episode but I am stuck with this:  How could you miss SUNDANCE FREAKING FILM FESTIVAL and expect people to take you seriously.  As someone pointed out earlier, she was living in DC and Ronald Reagan National is most accessible...metro stops there.  Otherwise she would be flying out of Virginia (Dulles) or Baltimore. 

Still, her mom is a piece of work.  Maam, You chose to have a child, so don't put it on the child regarding the sacrifices you made.

Even more? You can take the metro to Union Station and hop a MARC train that takes you right to BWI. I did just that over the summer. Also? Back then the Orange Line would take you to East Falls Church where you then take the Washington Flyer bus to Dulles. So yeah. Paula has literally zero excuse for missing any flight in the DC area.

• Love 1

Still, her mom is a piece of work.  Maam, You chose to have a child, so don't put it on the child regarding the sacrifices you made.

I tell you, this woman is Mama Joyce lite!  Too bad her daughter doesn't have Kandi Burruss money.  I think that's the reason she's really disappointed in Paula.  She isn't being given a life "in the manner which she's accustomed to" tm Mama Joyce. 

• Love 2

I love Lisa.  I always give her a side eye when she talks about her numerous businesses.  But she's definitely that one friend, who is cool as hell and fun to hang out with, but you know that she's full of shit most of the time, but it's okay cause she's not an asshole.

Lisa is a hustler and to make it in this business you have to know how to hustle.  You have to be able to sell yourself and she does that very well.  Golden could really take lessons from her because if anyone needs a new hustle, it's Golden.  She's not going to sell herself whining, bitching and crying.  All of Lisa's businesses might not have been legit, but she had a lot of people believing that they were and managed to put her name out there so that people know who Lisa Wu is. Whether it's as Keith Sweat's ex wife or from RHOA, she's using the reality venue to further her career and in the long run, isn't that the best way to use being on a reality show?  I never cared for her on RHOA, but I'm liking the Lisa that showed up for Hollywood Divas.  

• Love 2

So who is "vegan boy?" Is Golden talking about Dakota's father, DB Woodside? I don't think they are together.

I loved Maya Wilkes (Toni was my favorite girlfriend, Maya was second) but Golden really does not come off well here. At all. That tantrum in the fabric store? Chile ...

"If you're not getting any money for this art right now and you're starving, what good is the art?" Mrs. Parker is wise. Paula and Forest have a child to provide for. The starving artist time is over.

• Love 1

Anyone else notice how Elise kept changing her story about why she didn't show up to meeting?  First she didn't know about it and she didn't get any phone calls.  Then, she told the next person she got all these messages, but didn't know why, but her schedule for the day was already set.  Every time she spoke to a new person she had a different response.  It was annoying.

It was annoying yet kind of funny seeing how she had time to try to line up Golden and Countess for her show.