Type keyword(s) to search

Hollywood Divas - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Elise & Golden are pissed they have to be on a reality show with Lisa & Countess, Paula is bitter because she's been blacklisted/blackballed because she & her husband look cracked out, and Countess & Lisa are just happy to be there.

Team Lisa and Team Countess here.  I couldn't believe how shady Elise and Golden were towards Lisa!  Miss "Triple Threat" and Miss "I studied my craft" need to have a stadium full of seats.  *whispers* You'se all Reality Stars now bitches...

Paula is just plain crazy boots.  I almost felt bad for her husband, but then I realized that he must not be any good because he has his wife and son in a hotel.  He sat there while she blamed him for all their issues!  Any man with any self respect would have walked out the first time he heard her say that!   Paula also gets a side-eye for naming her boy "Onederful".  Poor kid.

• Love 5

Golden Brooks known for roles on hit movies like Beauty Shop and Something New, and the mega successful hit show Girlfriends and Heart of Dixie is on the search to discover the next big hit! Like many black actresses, Golden has several layers to her craft which include dance and poetry but feels there isn’t certain avenues allotted for Black actresses to showcase their skill set. A doting mom to a precocious 4 year old girl named Dakota, this single mother is ready to have it all. And with her eyes on the prize, this beauty is determined to achieve just that.

In the clique-ish world of Hollywood, it is great when a black actress finds herself on the inside. Paula Jai knows this answer all too well. She was accepted and dated within the circle, but once she married a former production assistant she met on set, she had to suffer the consequences. Known for her roles in Hustle & Flow, Friday and She Hate Me, Paula’s career also suffered once she had a child she affectionately named Onederful. With her sights on getting her name back in the spotlight and move out of the hotel she lives in with the family, a new project may actually help Paula reclaim her fame.

Countess, a child star, has been dealing with being a Hollywood actress since a very early age. Like most women in Hollywood, sometimes Countess felt she couldn’t measure up to most of the leading ladies she co-starred with on her past television shows. Once The Parkers ended, Countess took some time out to being a mother a wife. She currently has two children, one from a previous marriage and one with her current boyfriend, David, a construction worker who also has a child from a previous relationship. Their blended family has been her focus over the last few years.

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • Love 1

Elise is a black actress who has no problem with self-confidence. She eats healthy, works out and knows that she’s a great looking 48 year-old starlet. She’s been fortunate to land several lead roles on TV shows like The Hughleys and All of Us, and great films including, Rosewood and Hustle and Flow. As a result, Elise knows her worth and what she brings to the table as a multi-faceted actress. But Elise knows as a black actress you have to wear more than one hat. Therefore, she is going to reignite her dance troupe, Elise and Assorted Flavors, and show the world that she is a true triple threat!

Lisa Wu shot to fame with her role on Bravo’s The Real Housewives of Atlanta. She is unwillingly tied to the stigma that reality stars have no talent but Lisa has credits to rival those in Hollywood. Prepared to come in and use her talents to fight for her place in this business, Lisa doesn’t think other actresses should be upset by her presence. Instead, they should get to know the real person she is and not the reality star she portrayed.

I am so conflicted about this show. Paula soul crying at Elise was a bit too real for me, but the shade in the talking heads. THE SHADE. Honestly I could have done with a hour of just Countess and Shar being friends and running around being silly, The Simple Life 2.0 style. 

• Love 2

Golden Brooks's Catwoman face needs to shut it all the way up.  She isn't a great actor by any means.  She's rocking the same TIRED look she rocked on "Girlfriends" and there is no one checking for her which is why she's on Hollywood Divas now.  No matter what she's done in the past, she and Lisa are in the same boat.  Acting may not be a spectator sport but she's in the stands with the rest of us right now.  Boo-urns, bitch.

• Love 1

Todd Bridges looked like he's back on "that stuff", he is not aging well.

Elise, Paula & Golden all suffer from an inflated sense of self importance.  Hustle and Flow came out in 2005, Elise & Paula, 9 years ago, which is a long time not to be relevant in Hollywood.  And Golden had to mention her Masters Degree; I'm with Funky Dineva, "What the hell is it doing for you now?"

Countess, I like her and am routing for her the most.  Lisa, I didn't like her so much on "Atlanta Housewives" so I'm coming to this show with a tainted view of her but I will give her a chance.

• Love 1

Just caught this on Sunday morning reruns and I'm already out. What nasty, unlikable women they are (with the possible exception of Countess). I feel for black actresses, but these egomaniacal, madoerately talented ladies who seem to think they are superstars, and talk about the lack of support from the industry and each other as they sit there being b***hes to others is just beyond the pale.

If they think this show is going to revive their careers then the delusions know no end because this will be the drill-based nail in their career coffins,

• Love 1

I'm glad there is a thread for this show, yay!

I actually like Lisa, I can't believe I'm saying this but I do.  The other women were so nasty to her; sure Lisa is a "reality star" but the truth is, name recognition is what gets the audience to come to a movie.  I mean more people will come to see a movie starring Beyonce than Golden Brooks.  That's not fair, but it's the way it is.

I feel for these women and I understand the shade and the anger.  Black actresses are more fucked today than ever.  Like Golden Brooks' agent told her, years ago when they asked for an "ethnic" part, they usually meant a black person, now they might want Hispanic, Asian, Indian.  IMO if "Chicago Fire" had been made 20 years ago, the Dawson part would probably have been played by a black actress, now she's Hispanic.  Also today, black actress from other countries like the UK and Canada are now playing Americans, are black, American actresses getting work abroad?    

This goes back to something I once read on a blog, "All the women are white and all the blacks are men."  Too often on TV shows, if they have a black character, they normally cast a male (Chicago Fire again) and if there are women characters on a show, the character is usually white and if she is another woman of color, they probably aren't a black woman (see Person of Interest, Chicago Fire, Elementary), unless Shonda Rhimes is involved.  

And they shouldn't hate on Lisa for "marrying well" if that's what she did.  Maybe some of those other women should learn that lesson, especially Paula.  I got a bad feeling about her husband.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

Have we had a reality show so out of the box catty? These broads went for blood immediately. Yikes.

It was bizarre watching them all battle over who was the bigger Has Been. And Paula Jai was all kinds of nutty boo hooing over being blackballed for being with an outsider. Don't you yourself have to be an insider before they can cast you out?

Just checking.

• Love 4

Honestly I could have done with a hour of just Countess and Shar being friends and running around being silly, The Simple Life 2.0 style.

Me too. They were hilarious. Even in her interviews she was funny. I do wonder what happened to her voice -was she sick? Countess was really funny, and the only one besides Lisa who acted like she had some home training.

Elise Neal and Angela Bassett must bathe in virgin blood or something. They take "black don't crack" to a new level.

I watched this show because Funky Dineva CAME for these birds, and it did not disappoint. Paula with the parasol AND the hat? She seems like a lunatic. Golden and Elise are feeling themselves way too much. Rip-offs or not, Elise, people have actually heard of the Pussycat Dolls.

• Love 3

Me too. They were hilarious. Even in her interviews she was funny. I do wonder what happened to her voice -was she sick? Countess was really funny, and the only one besides Lisa who acted like she had some home training.

If she has some sort of illness I will stand corrected but based on how much weight she gained in her face alone, I think her weight may have somehow affected her voice. She sounds congested and like her airway is "smushed" if that makes any sense. 

Team Lisa and Team Countess here.  I couldn't believe how shady Elise and Golden were towards Lisa!  Miss "Triple Threat" and Miss "I studied my craft" need to have a stadium full of seats.  *whispers* You'se all Reality Stars now bitches...

LMAO!  Stardancer Supreme, you and Drivethroo are gonna be cracking me up I see.

SO glad there is a forum for this board, I was bubblin' with shit to say!

Paula - Sigh.  First of all, there are plenty of actresses that have married non-actors and still had good careers; I'm giving the fish-eye on this theory.  Secondly, with all the stuff this chile has done (Sprung, H&F, True Blood, Friday, The Wayans Brothers, etc.), why in the bluedilly fuck is she livin' like a crackhead?!  She must have had a high living lifestyle.  As for putting Golden on blast at the table about the drinks thrown on her ten years ago.....I understand not forgetting but like Countess said, it should have been discussed when it happened.  If she needed to bring it up, she should have done a one-on-one; doing it at the table made her look stupid.  And lawd, I'm not goin' there on her son's name; I could handle Dunquarious or something like that but 'Onederful'?  Oy.

Elise and Golden - Boo-boos, maybe ya'll graduated from Sarah Lawrence/Royal Academy of Arts, but ya know what?  Lisa Wu got a masters in muhfuckin' manners from her mama!  I don't care how long you been in the game, the least you can do when you meet a person for the first time is to be courteous....if that person has a stank nature then throw shade but until then mind your manners.

Countess and Lisa - FLOVE THEM, they look like they'd be a hoot to hang with.  I like that Countess is still friends with Shar Jackson, their chemistry in the quack doctor's office was hysterical.  That doctor was seriously skeeving me out, Countess wants lipo and you quicky suggest puss tightening?  Should have been a red flag there.  I've never seen a Housewives show so I'm not familiar with Lisa, but unlike Elise and Golden will give her a chance....she brings the pretty.

If Countess has some sort of illness I will stand corrected but based on how much weight she gained in her face alone, I think her weight may have somehow affected her voice. She sounds congested and like her airway is "smushed" if that makes any sense.

In that case, with my fat face I should be talking like Mush-Mouth from Fat Albert but I don't; I co-sign on a possible illness.

Forgot to mention TB, yikes!  He was always a cutie....I guess doing 'that shit' really fucks up your looks eventually.

ETA:  OMFG at Funky Dineva, that fool had me crying!

Edited by Vixenstud

CPS needs to come for Paula and her husband for naming that poor child ONEDERFUL, and one or both sets of his grandparents need to slap them silly. That is a sin. Like, this is a person who will have to make a resume. I would be at the courthouse the SECOND I turned 18.

• Love 1

Paula was giving me aging boozy barfly sitting there in front of that mirror trying to revive that dead weave.

"Ten cents a dance, that's what they pay me!"

And let's say she hasn't worked since she was blackballed (bullshit). That man of hers don't work no damn place? Nobody can fold clothes at the Gap? You both have your baby living out of garbage bags?

And that doctor, is that the same dude that was on with Dr Rey a few years ago? Dr 90210 or something like that?

• Love 3

Golden is already getting on my nerves.  I don't care what your acting credentials are, you need to stop being so judgmental and whiny!  With all of her studying, she's been on Girlfriends, and what else?  Maybe she should go back and study some more.  I hope Lisa WU chews her up and spits her out...and I don't even like Lisa. 

Speaking of Lisa, I wonder how she got Keith Sweat to consent to letting her show their sons' images on this show but wouldn't let them even be referred to on The Real Housewives of Atlanta?  Maybe because they're older?  At any rate, they are very good looking boys.

Elise is also a bit of a snob.  Get over yourself and stop trying to make that stupid Pussycat Doll wannabe group happen.  The day for that has come and gone.  Robin Anton beat you to it.  NEXT!

I feel so bad for Countess with the weight problems.  She's another example of how lipo is not permanent.  As short as she is, she's never going to look svelte.  I like her though.

These actresses need to smooze with Tyler Perry and Spike Lee.  They seem to cast the most blacks in their movies.

Edited by swankie

Golden is way too much. I don't know how Regina Hall was able to tolerate her. She's so mean and whiny. How can she look down her nose at "reality" stars when she's now on a "reality" show? She's also delusional because she has never been a good actress. I wouldn't even categorize her as mediocre.

I think Paula is on some type of drug. Her and her husband are giving me Gator vibes. She needs help.

Countess seems sweet. I wonder how she was able to deal with the issue of her scalp/hair after the weave glue problem? She sounds like she might have a respiratory problem. I hope it's not something more serious. I also want Golden to mind her business about her weight. It's good to help but she's so damn judgmental.

I remember Lisa Wu from RHOA. I never had a problem with her on that show. Out of all of them she came prepared and seems more professional.

Elise Neal is beautiful and looks great but she needs to hang up the dance group.

Paula and her husband... Judging from the previews of next week's episode, I am not going to like this dude.   First of all, he's letting Paula shade him on television. Then, he doesn't seem to be doing anything to keep his family above water.  Now he's about to get out of pocket with his mother-in-law.   *shakes head*

Clearly this is something to do while that Executive Producer money rolls in.  It's easy to dismiss someone when you don't see all the things they do.  Lisa clearly has enough juice in this game.  I'll bet if Nene Leakes was on this show no one would be shading her "reality star status"! 

Is Paula's husband even working?

Why is it a big deal that she's with a production assistant?  I'm sure plenty of actors have dated production assistants.  And not all actors are married to famous people either.  So I wonder if that's really why she was blacklisted.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 1

I think it's drugs. They both look like crack/meth heads. Julia Roberts married a camera man and Matt Damon married a cocktail waitress/bartender. I don't think she'd be blacklisted for marrying a PA. There's something they are not saying.

• Love 3
Golden is already getting on my nerves.  I don't care what your acting credentials are, you need to stop being so judgmental and whiny!  With all of her studying, she's been on Girlfriends, and what else?  Maybe she should go back and study some more.  I hope Lisa WU chews her up and spits her out...and I don't even like Lisa.

I don't like Golden at all, but she did make an interesting point.  I think it must suck for someone to study acting in college and then have jobs "taken" by reality stars who are only hired because of their personalities, not their acting talent.  About 10 years ago I read in "Entertainment Weekly" about how reality stars were getting snubbed in Hollywood.  They mentioned "Chicken George" who was on Big Brother in 2000, how even though he was very popular on that show, when he went to Hollywood, no one would even meet with him.  The article also mentioned Jacinda Barrett, how she had to leave out "The Real World" on her resume, or else she wouldn't be considered for acting jobs.

I think things changed for reality TV when "The Osbournes" became a hit show and it helped his career (as well as the careers of his wife and children).  Maybe that's when "real" actors realized there was a future in reality TV.  

I forgot to add this in my last post but I wonder if Countess has ever had her thyroid checked? That might be a contributing factor to her weight and health issues.

I think Countess did say she had a Thyroid condition back when she was on Celebrity Fit Club.  I think last night showed us she also has a fried chicken condition to go along with it.

I'm all for giving friendly advice, but I hope this doesn't turn into season of lets help the fat chick.  I'm no fatty but it still irks me

when folks who are genetically skinny act holier than those who may struggle a bit more with weight.

• Love 3

I think Paula is on some type of drug. Her and her husband are giving me Gator vibes.

RedKoolAide it is too early in the morning to be ki-ki laughing, you so stupid!  LMAO

I don't like Golden at all, but she did make an interesting point.  I think it must suck for someone to study acting in college and then have jobs "taken" by reality stars who are only hired because of their personalities, not their acting talent.

If she weren't a bitch about this then I could sympathize with her; however, her (and Elise's) general attitude towards Lisa makes me want them both to never succeed.  I can't stand Regina Hall, don't see the talent but she gave Golden real talk about herself.  Instead of seeing 'reality show girl', why not give Lisa a chance?  And she was straight up hating when Paula gave Lisa props. 

And her 'Save the Whales' comment about Countess?  Uh-uh, I was officially done with her by that point.  And who in the bluedilly fuck are you to tell her that she won't be getting lipo?  I hope the Latina that got the role she wanted last week is obese! 

Elise, all during Dontcha, Buttons, etc., I NEVER heard of your Assorted Flavors group so girl bye with that 'Pussycat Dolls are copying' bullshit.  Maybe you and Golden aren't getting the roles you want due to your entitlement. 

Was Lisa a bitch during the Housewives?  Why don't people like her?  'Cause I think she's a muhfuckin' hoot!  Loved her giving it back to Golden instead of taking it like Countess did about the lipo.

Countess - How much 'letting it build' will you let Golden get away with before you go off on her?  'Cause no bitch will ever tell me as a grown-assed woman what I will do to my body!  As a big gal myself, I related to her trying to explain to Golden about shopping for clothes.

Haven't seen Funky Dineva's video yet, might want to not be drinking or eating.  (ETA:  Okay, this man is straight up cray, my face is wet from crying and I ki-ki laughed so hard that I scared the cat!)

think Countess did say she had a Thyroid condition back when she was on Celebrity Fit Club.  I think last night showed us she also has a fried chicken condition to go along with it.

Brooklynista, the same warning goes to you as it did for RedKoolAide, LMAO!!  You know you wrong!

Edited by Vixenstud
  • Love 1

I think it's drugs. They both look like crack/meth heads. Julia Roberts married a camera man and Matt Damon married a cocktail waitress/bartender. I don't think she'd be blacklisted for marrying a PA. There's something they are not saying.

When she was talking about it with Elise, Elise made it sound like they were doing wayyy too much on set. I got the impression she was showing up to scenes late or he slacked off on the job because they were wrapped up with each other.

• Love 1

As much as I think Elise is acting stank on this show, I'm on her side in the Pussycat Dolls nonsense.  I mean, we all know that the music business is shady and it's gonna be an "all's fair in love and war" type of thing, but I believe Elise came up with the concept and the idea for using that show and was skunked by Robin Antin.  It wouldn't be the first time that Black folks have created something only to have it taken and used by someone from the "majority" for their own ends.

• Love 2

Wasn't Paula tight with Vivica A. Fox/Tisha Campbell-Martin?  I'd love to know their thoughts on this.

I still think Paula lived a high lifestyle without saving, 'cause she's done too damned much to be living in an extended stay hotel.

I felt for Golden as she explained to Regina about working and studying and trying to understand and perfect your craft, to only see a reality show star with no training get hired for a role you wanted.  I get it.

But don't take that out on Lisa.  Don't hate the player, hate the game.  Hate the game that hires a Beyonce who can't act over a trained actress because producers feel Beyonce fans will fill the movie seats and the trained actress can't.

And how many reality show stars are getting roles beyond "Sassy Black Woman in Bar #3" or "Overly Groomed Dudebro #2" in TV and film?  I know JWowww had a minor role as the snarky bartender on the OLTL reboot but that's all I can think of.

And Golden gives me bulimia vibes so Countess needs to skim Lil Golden Book and put her back on the shelf.

Edited by drivethroo
  • Love 1

When Paula went to meet Lisa, she said she was wearing the dark shades because her make-up artist was heavy handed.

Make-up artist? Who lives in an extended stay and has a make-up artist?  Does he have an adjoining room?  Is it included in the extended stay package like free breakfast? 

• Love 2

I saw his name on the screen and I thought of that Tom Hanks movie "That Thing you Do".  The band  was called the "Oneders" and everyone pronounced it

The Oh-Need-Ders

wins the internet.   LMAO!

Shame on it all, indeed.     What's ole boy doing now?

Is this show about has beens or climb back ups or we're out of cashers?  Because by and among Moesha, the Monique show (that's not what it's called, somebody say the name) and eleventeen stints on various other WB11 productions, Countess Vaughn better not be out of money.

• Love 1
Elise, all during Dontcha, Buttons, etc., I NEVER heard of your Assorted Flavors group so girl bye with that 'Pussycat Dolls are copying' bullshit.  Maybe you and Golden aren't getting the roles you want due to your entitlement.

I think racism more than entitlement, has a bit more to do with them not getting the roles they want.  I am with Elise regarding Pussycat Dolls.  It would not be the first time a black person came up with something, only to have it stolen...I mean "refined" by a white person.

• Love 1