Type keyword(s) to search

Gary: The original Belden Lineman

• Start Topic

8 minutes ago, Snarky McSnarky said:

So Gary may have simply completed 40 hours of training?  Kristina should have clarified, or just said nothing at all.

In Indiana, reserve officers are required to complete 40 hours of basic training, as well as 24 hours of continuing in-service training each year. In comparison, paid, full-time city police officers must finish a 600-hour training course administered by the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy in addition to the basic training, followed by the same yearly 24 hours of in-service training.

We don't know exactly what the truth is here, maybe she was very clear in her statement.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, blubld43 said:

We don't know exactly what the truth is here, maybe she was very clear in her statement.

Her statement wasn't clear. She called him a ___ county police officer. I'll find the post later it was either on Twitter or Instagram.

• Useful 1
8 minutes ago, druzy said:

Her statement wasn't clear. She called him a ___ county police officer. I'll find the post later it was either on Twitter or Instagram.

She did not call him a county police officer, just police officer. Kristina is sweet and a great mom, but not the brightest bulb, so it's probably all the same to her. In the photo he is not in a uniform like the officer next to him. And did anyone seriously think that Gary had actually gone through the police academy? Really?

• Love 5
19 minutes ago, Snarky McSnarky said:

I must be blind.  Articles refer to him wearing a firearm in a holster on his hip in the photo.  I don't see a firearm, a holster, or even a belt.  Maybe there's more than one photo out there.

I don't see a gun, a holster or a belt either. I can see a phone in his pocket. I found one more picture and I can't see a gun there either

• Love 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, politichick said:

She did not call him a county police officer, just police officer. Kristina is sweet and a great mom, but not the brightest bulb, so it's probably all the same to her. In the photo he is not in a uniform like the officer next to him. And did anyone seriously think that Gary had actually gone through the police academy? Really?

You are right. I am wrong. I was saying that from memory.

Kristina is sweet and a great mom. I'm sure she didn't have any ill intentions, I was just confused.

I'm not the brightest bulb either and I really did think Gary completed the police academy and wanted to surprise everyone. I applaud Gary for his work with law enforcement.

Edited by druzy
  • Love 7
15 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

The Instagram post had 2 pictures. This is the second one. I enlarged it a bit.

62CB4722-692F-4739-BFBE-F5F43F12F0F2.jpeg

Yes, this is the picture I found as well except I don't know how to enlarge photos. You can definitely see the gun in this enlarged picture.

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, zenme said:

I agree! Gary has been shaping up into a wonderful man, despite his upbringing. It’s crazy, because while Gary had a less than ideal family life growing up, he’s taken his life in his hands and broken a cycle. Meanwhile, there’s Ryan, who’s been given every opportunity to succeed in life, and look at what he’s done with it...

Then there's Adam...

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

I cannot find where I read he was a Henry County Sheriff's Department Reserve Officer but I'm going to assume it for the purpose of this response.

On 7/11/2019 at 4:46 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

I care, and I'm not an Amber stan.  In fact, we should all care, because what's being passed around appears simply not to be true.

If it had been presented all along as Gary getting some training and becoming a reserve officer, then good for him. 

You appear to be under the mistaken impression that a Reserve Officer is not a police officer. It is. What is being passed around IS true. Gary wanted to be a police officer, he lost weight, went through training, and was sworn in as a law enforcement officer. He IS A POLICE OFFICER.

He is paid for his service to his community at a much lower rate than a salaried officer, sure, and no, he is not a detective investigating murders. This is like saying someone cannot call themselves a nurse because they didn't go through the training to be a Nurse Practitioner, they are merely a Registered Nurse, like it's nothing. It's not like Jenelle insisting she would be saving lives with her medical assistant degree, because she knows CPR. 

This is the point @allienc was making and I was responding to in when asking, "Who the fuck cares?" It's a really petty distinction to me and many others.

• Love 17

One of the comments made on an article that I read when I was trying to find where I read he was a Henry County Sheriff's Department Reserve Officer was that he was helping to direct traffic for the fireworks. I don't think he lives near Amber so it was probably just a joke leading up to a "Spite Amber" payback, but using that as an example, while he's trying to keep traffic moving another police officer is available to take a call where a woman is threatening her boyfriend with a machete and assaulting him with a flip-flop. He probably also has training to give people the Narcan shots, too, something that they do around here.

• Love 11
On 7/12/2019 at 5:40 PM, Christina said:

You appear to be under the mistaken impression that a Reserve Officer is not a police officer. It is. What is being passed around IS true. Gary wanted to be a police officer, he lost weight, went through training, and was sworn in as a law enforcement officer. He IS A POLICE OFFICER.

He is a RESERVE police officer.  The "reserve" in this case is not like "tall," like "He's a tall police officer."  It pertains to the actual position.

He is paid for his service to his community at a much lower rate than a salaried officer, sure, and no, he is not a detective investigating murders. This is like saying someone cannot call themselves a nurse because they didn't go through the training to be a Nurse Practitioner, they are merely a Registered Nurse, like it's nothing.

It's not like that at all. 

Instead, it's like a substitute teacher and a teacher.  Substitute teachers don't have to have the same training and education and licensing as teachers, just like reserve police officers don't have to have the same training and education and licensing as police officers.  Substitute teachers are not teachers, and if they call themselves a teacher, I think most people would find it to be dishonest or misleading to not include the "substitute."

It's a really petty distinction to me and many others.

I don't think it's petty if it leads to people believing things that aren't true.  For example, Gary was praised for thinking ahead and launching this career, so he'll have a salary and benefits and retirement, and won't have to depend on TM money.  None of which is true if he's a reserve police officer. 

Besides, facts are facts, and whether Gary graduated from the police academy and whether the position he holds is as a career/salaried police officer are discernible facts.  So far there's no evidence whatsoever that he graduated from the police academy or that he has any position other than as a volunteer reserve officer.

Which has nothing to do with whether it's laudable that he's a reserve officer.  As long as it's clear that what he is is a reserve officer and not a police officer.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

In my state substitute teachers are licensed teachers. They are usually either retired or waiting for a full time position. They have rhe same degrees as any other teacher

If Gary is an auxiliary officer he attended training for the situations he would encounter. Here, at least at one time, auxiliary officers worked one or two days a month to stay sharp.

• Love 10
4 hours ago, bobalina said:

In my state substitute teachers are licensed teachers. They are usually either retired or waiting for a full time position. They have rhe same degrees as any other teacher

In Indiana, where Gary lives, the state not only doesn't require substitute teachers to have a teaching license, it doesn't require any college at all--just a high school diploma or GED. 

https://www.doe.in.gov/licensing/substitute-permits

Individual school districts can impose more onerous training requirements, which is the same with reserve officers--the state requires 40 hours of training, but individual jurisdictions can impose more onerous training requirements. 

If Gary is an auxiliary officer he attended training for the situations he would encounter.

I would certainly hope so, since he carries a gun while on duty.

I just thought of this--it could be argued that Gary is lazy because he sought out and accomplished the minimum required to fulfill his dream of acting as a police officer.  I'm not taking that position because I wouldn't be surprised if Christina was exaggerating about Gary's "dream," and the duties of a volunteer reserve officer are all he aspired to, in which case there's no reason for him to become a "real" cop.  But going to the police academy and getting a job as a cop is how most people who dream of being a cop do it. 

And really, if he wants to direct traffic, just go to Manhattan.  During the blackout yesterday, the NYC local news I was watching interviewed some tourists who were doing it.

• Love 1

It's time to move on from the debate over what Gary's official title/capacity in the police department is.  

4 hours ago, druzy said:
Leah's on social media but Gary is running is supervising it:
image.png.f39c020b43cd79324eeb6a192d83dcf6.png

Maybe Leah can step in and help Gary with his grammar. (He's a great dad, but, damn, Gary! 😁)

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 7
On 7/30/2019 at 11:20 PM, Stusan said:

Maybe Leah can step in and help Gary with his grammar. (He's a great dad, but, damn, Gary! 😁)

Leah is adorable, so is Emilee. Gary and Kristina are my heroes of this entire franchise. I know some people are mad because they are appearing to support Amber, I see it as family supporting family.  

• Love 13
5 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

What? He fucking gave in? Damnit Gary.

Even Instagram thinks she's too young to use their platform:

Instagram requires everyone to be at least 13 years old before they can create an account (in some jurisdictions, this age limit may be higher). If your child is younger than 13 and created an account on Instagram, you can show them how to delete their account.

• Love 9

I know a lot of kids around Leah's age that are on Instagram or some other form of social media. My sister-in-law has to approve everything my niece puts on Instagram. I would assume most parents heavily monitor it or run it. I think it is getting to be more of a norm for tweens to have their own social media accounts. At least Gary and Kristina are in charge of it than Amber.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

What? He fucking gave in? Damnit Gary.

Right?! Even if he and Kristina run it, there is absolutely no reason for kids to have a damn social media account that young. We know how bright Leah is and how important academics are in that house, which is why I was so heartbroken to see that they signed off on an account for Leah. Psychologically speaking, social media is the worst thing to ever happen to anyone. The worst thing.

When Amber was justifying Leah having an account so that she “would be able to connect with her friends”, I wanted to slap her through my TV and tell her that most kids connect at school, participating in after school activities or going to sleepovers. Leah also has a phone, so it’s not like she’s cut off from her friends once they leave school. 

As a teacher, I just can’t get on board with teens/tweens and social media. It has interrupted the growth and development of adolescents and adults in ways that both sadden and frighten me.

We all know about cell phone addiction and how it’s the new crack. No one gets enough sleep anymore because of the light emanating from tablets, laptops and phones. Sleep deprived students are struggling in school, both academically and in time management. How many more studies need to be published before people understand the severity of these issues?

The formats of Instagram and Twitter are causing a major regression in the field of literacy, and not just with teens; it’s happening with adults too. With the use of short sentences, emojis replacing words and poor spelling/grammar (“should of” isn’t a phrase!), not many students are consistently reading or writing at a proficient level anymore. The brevity rules of social media have also created unique new challenges that blow my mind: the struggle for reading stamina and short term memory. 

There is a reason that most students struggle to get through a short story or even read an assigned passage for HW. They don’t have the stamina to do it. In the exact way one would work up to building enough stamina to run one lap around a football field, it’s the same for reading. It might sound crazy, but these things are real. I have a unique vantage point, which I appreciate, but it also makes me want to shout “no social media!!!” even louder from the rooftops!

• Useful 1
  • Love 18
On 8/9/2019 at 7:48 PM, ginger90 said:

Can I just say how refreshing it is that Kristina is counting the days until school breaks? I know too many people who are counting the days until school is back in. I know some are joking (I hope), but it always makes me so sad. They're only young for a short time. 

• Love 12
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

Can I just say how refreshing it is that Kristina is counting the days until school breaks? I know too many people who are counting the days until school is back in. I know some are joking (I hope), but it always makes me so sad. They're only young for a short time. 

It's funny; I used to dread the beginning of summer vacation with the worry of how I was going to keep them occupied and entertained all day, but after dropping them off at school that first day, I felt like I was missing an arm. My sidekicks were gone. Then I'd start to appreciate the quiet house and the freedom, and then the cycle would begin again,...

• Love 6