Type keyword(s) to search

Red Band Society - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Now see, I don't need realism all that much, unless it's a documentary. I watch TV and go to movies to escape and be entertained. This show does both for me. Of course it won't last because it doesn't have zombies, or murder, or whatever else many people consider entertainment these days.

I agree I can get over the lack of realism, I don't watch TV for realism unless it is a documentary. I liked this episode more than the last few, most likely because the love triangle seems to be over and Kenji had a bigger part.

The whole letter writing had a Breakfast Club vibe which I liked, a group of different kids that if were out in the world would have nothing to do with each outer, brought together for the most part because they are forced in the same area and find friendships. Leo is the Jock and Emma the Basket Case, Kara the Princess, the new guy I guess would be the "criminal" not sure about Dash and Jordi though.

• Love 1

The anorexic girl eats to not get better for herself but hold onto the boyfriend? Ok. 

The new "bad boy" kid looks like he's in mid 20's. 

I'm surprised Fox is still airing the show. 

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 3

This episode also brought up my previous gripe: Why was a child in a coma not hooked up to an EEG? Doesn't cost a lot to hook one up. An insurance company would need one anyway, as that is how you detect the brain wave activity in the patient

And they would've realized much earlier "Hey, look! Coma boy's brain is doing stuff it hasn't done before. Let's call his parents/go to his room!"

Right! Extended Inpatient hospitalization for these kids ? Who pays for that? Kids with anorexia might stay in the hospital for a short time, then go home and attend day programs. Most of these other kids would be sent home. People in my family have had major illnesses and surgery with very short hospital stays. If the parents don't want to take them home, they would lose custody and g o to foster care. The girl with the heart problem would either be confined to bed on a monitor, OR sent home to wait for a donor heart. I can't figure out why these kids require round the clock hospital care. Insurance companies don't cover that any more.
I know it's a tv show, but it's so unrealistic it's hard to watch.

Dash being in the hospital for an extended stay makes sense.

Same with Leo, Jordy, Kara, and Charlie.

Emma should just be in an inpatient clinic for eating disorders (Although that seems to be the section of the hospital she is in, she shouldn't be allowed to interact with people on the floor Kara/Leo/Dash are on, other than for class, as unless the patient is too ill to leave their room, instruction would take place in a group setting, to try to keep things as regular as possible.

Dash - As seen in tonight's episode, his condition is a bit more severe than let on in the past, we know he needs at least two oxygen treatments a day. Assuming pure oxygen, that means his lung capacity isn't doing so well. I believe in a previous episode, they mentioned his lungs have to be cleaned out something like three times a day. So Dash is probably pretty high on the list for lung transplants and given the severity of his condition, I can handwave any minor concerns away about his being there.

With Leo, it seems that at the time the story started, his cancer is recently in remission and he is getting used to his one-leggedness, still. However, I would say that he would be transferred to an inpatient rehabilitation clinic for the next stage of his treatment (However, given the wealth of this hospital's seemingly sole benefactor, he'd probably build a top of the line rehabilitation clinic at the hospital just to keep his favorite pediatric patient there, which is a bit creepy, but whatever)

With Jordy, the hospital is probably the best place for him, given the fact that his family has essentially abandoned him and he has been left there to his own devices. So most likely, the social worker is trying to get him on MediCal, which won't pay for a place like that without significant concessions from the hospital in terms of billing. So if the show were more realistic, in a few months of in-show time, we'd face the storyline of "Medicaid wants to transfer Jordy to a cheaper hospital."

With Kara, keep in mind the timeline, it's been probably two weeks at most that she's been in the hospital. Also, her parents are wealthy - she probably is covered by the best of the best insurance plan, which will cover a ridiculous amount of pretty much anything - as long as the parents keep paying the insurance premium. Her condition seems to have gone back-and-forth over her tenure in the hospital, leading her to not be exactly stable, which might lead to a doctor not to recommend her release, especially given her attitude towards treatment and taking care of herself.

With Charlie, they've already dealt with this, but they seem to have grossly mishandled his case (see: no EEG) - I am guessing Charlie is covered by Medicaid, hence reps from the county deciding his fate. 6 weeks of almost-PICU for a kid in a coma seems about right for medicaid, then they'd want to transfer the kid to an inpatient rehab/long term care facility.

Now all the stuff with Charlie must begin anew, as he has seemingly regained consciousness - or has upgraded on the Glasgow Coma Scale, at the very least - since he went from a 1 (Does not open eyes) to a 3 (Opens eyes in response to voice) or a 4 (Opens eyes spontaneously).

However, he still seems to be a 1 on the others (Making no sound or movements).

Though if he was a total score of a 3, I am seriously wondering why he was not hooked up to a ventilator and all of that fun machinery.

Ha, I got a very Breakfast Club feeling from the letter at the end too!

While I am fine with Nurse Jackson's patients and coworkers wanting her back, it seems ludicrous that no one else would know to look at Dash's chart and give him his oxygen treatment. I was willing to accept that Brittany couldn't find the key to the supply closet and that no one bothered to get tacos for Dr. Jack, but everyone completely forgetting to give a patient treatment because she wasn't there seemed ludicrous.

I know both doctors and nurses in real life and the ones I know are nice people but I totally laughed at how obnoxious Dr. Jack was because no one had bought him tacos at the truck. I loooved when Kenji pointed out that fetching tacos isn't part of being a nurse. I was willing to cut Jack a tiny but of slack because he said he had been in surgery because scheduling an appendectomy around whrn the taco truck will be there is a bit much. But then Brittany said the truck was still there and he made no move to go get his own tacos. Suck it, Dr. Jack!

But Nurse Jackson can suck it too. She switched Charlie's bloodwork and can barely admit that she might have maybe possibly been a tiny eensy weensy bit out of line.

When they went to the karaoke place, I was hoping that Wilson Cruz would get to sing (I saw him as Angel in Rent and he was awesome!). Stop teasing me, show!

Nurse Jackson must be doing really well if she can pay for her niece's college expenses and still have that nice place in LA. I don't need the show to get weighed down in minutiae but I would be interested to know if her sister dying meant that she went to the closest community college the next day to sign up for the LVN program so she could become a nurse as quickly as possible or if she did a BSN. I only mention this because there have been some minor subplots on Nurse Jackie about the different types of degrees that the nurses have and some of the characters wanting to go back to school to get new degrees.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

This.  So much this.  It's distracting.  And I'm someone who bought Gabrielle Carteris as a high school student.

Ha, I got a very Breakfast Club feeling from the letter at the end too!

(snip)

When they went to the karaoke place, I was hoping that Wilson Cruz would get to sing (I saw him as Angel in Rent and he was awesome!). Stop teasing me, show!

My Breakfast Club moment was when they were running through the halls.  I kept expecting to hear Wang Chung!

And I was really hoping someone would get up on stage with Nurse Jackson.  What kind of friends leave someone without Pips?

• Love 2

I thought this was the best episode yet, but it is a very low bar.

I had to laugh that when a former back-up singer wanted to show off her solo singing chops, she picked perhaps the one song that's best known for its back-up vocals.

• Love 2

The anorexic girl eats to not get better for herself but hold onto the boyfriend? Ok. 

I'm surprised Fox is still airing the show. 

I suspect that it'll air through December and then disappear from the schedule in January, only to be quietly burned off over the summer. Or, if it continues to air new episodes each week through November and December, it'll hit episode 13 on Dec. 24. 

I'm just hate watching at this point...looks like I'm the only one lol

The unrealistic nature of it is still too much. They should have set it in a boarding school or done an adaptation of the book "A Really Awesome Mess" if they wanted the kids to just hang around. All of them, expect maybe Dash, could be home and only coming to the hospital as needed.

That said I loved the bouncer at the strip club. I'd watch a show on his life because he was hilarious (the final head nod!) and I thought his take down of Leo was awesome... And that's all I got. The rest was terrible.

Edited by t7686
  • Love 2

I liked the bouncer too, but you know Jordi could've played the same cancer card but without the lost leg because the cancer's too far gone. I also liked that the kids know full well they're exploiting the cancer card. I appreciate that they're mostly letting the kids be kids, warts and all. 

I liked the appearance of Lisa Shay (Leo's female friend) but I think the tone of this episode towards Emma really highlights why she shouldn't be with the other kids. Her anorexia should be treated by a psychiatrist and not Dr what'shisname. What the kids were saying to her was really mean, albeit totally understandable from their point of view, in a psychiatric hospital she'd be treated appropriately and not called out for 'not really being sick.' 

I really really really don't like Hunter. Not even a little bit. He could die and I'd be okay with that. 

Ha, the bouncer was awesome. He shut down their cancer pity story in the best way possible.

When Enma was staring at the Cheetos dust on her fingers, I was expecting to see her erupt into a fullblown case of OCD.

I have absolutely no interest in Hunter. As soon as that other girl showed up, I knew she would turn out to he his sister and Cara would be jealous. I get the "sick people want control" thing but dying when your sister has a perfectly good liver is stupid. And how about thinking of her feelings? How will she feel if she loses her only remaining brother because he was being stubborn? Ugh. I don't think we need Hunter as an additional character. Bring back Nurse Kenji!

I give the show points for trying to make the end feel moving by using "Medicine" by Daughter but it was used better last season on Person of Interest when they were running through the woods and Shaw was shot and S3 of The Vampire Diaries when Alaric died.

Medicine by Daughter is a pretty good song.

I concur so hard that is was used so much better last season in Person of Interest.

I still love this little show. It's hard to watch because I know that it's going to be cancelled most likely.

I really like this show, despite the fact that no way in hell any of this stuff would happen in a real-life hospital. Any show that gives me "Personality Crisis" by The New York Dolls gets a pass as far as I'm concerned.

I really hope it doesn't get cancelled but alas, I fear you're right.

• Love 2
A pop star checks in to the hospital, but it upsets the status quo. Meanwhile, love is all around as Kara and Hunter's relationship intensifies; Dr. McAndrew hopes to rekindle his romance with Dr. Grace; and Emma and Leo start to reconnect.

I laughed at Mandy Moore saying "I don't know what it's like to be a teen pop star!"

Kara's plot line reminds me of erectile disfunction drug commercials that remind men "be sure to talk to your doctor to see if your heart is healthy enough for sexual activity."

So I heard about the cancellation and that they still need to wrap production on the final episodes.

Let me guess, the last 3-5 minutes of the series finale are:

1. Charlie montage, he talks without blinking, walks of his own power, etc.

2. Jordy gets told the chemo is working and the tumors are shrinking (sometime in the finale, probably - but his life will be in danger for parts of the finale, most likely) and gets the attention of record producers and he is shown in a recording studio at the end of the little Jordy montage..

3. Leo gets out, is shown dribbling a soccer ball.

4. Dash gets a new pair of lungs, is shown hanging out with Jordy, Leo, and Emma.

5. Emma gets hospitalized again (probably next week in episode 10 or in episode 11), then makes actual improvement in a montage. She gets out and is greeted by Jordy and Leo.

6. Hunter is probably dying before the end of the series; this makes Kara make a complete 180 with regards to her attitude towards her heart. Blah blah blah, she's nice to people, not sickly sweet Disney nice, but kind. Kind enough to make her get on the Donor list. She eventually gets a heart, but can't participate again. Her last scene shows her on her phone texting. The camera pans to the phone - it shows a group chat. The camera looks at the title of the group text - Red Band Society.

That texting could even be the framing device for the little montages.

Edited by bros402

Ha, is it wrong that I loved Brittany punching Dr. Jack? But mostly because he was such a dick to Dr. Grace - how dare she lead him on by TOUCHING HIS ARM and not immediately disclose that she had a boyfriend as soon as she got back from Africa? I am so tired of people (fictional and IRL) acting so entitled about their relationships with other people. Just because she didn't kick you in the balls doesn't mean that you get to act like a petulant child when you find out that she has a boyfriend. She is your ex-girlfriend and your co-worker. She has been nice to you since she got back, but that doesn't mean you should assume she likes you. And notice that he just decided to get back together with her without actually getting any huge signals from her, yet acted so wounded that she is dating someone else. Ugh.

I felt bad for Brittany but at the same time, slow your roll, girl. Just because you got drunk and slept with a guy doesn't mean he is your boyfriend.

The whole Delaney/Dash/Jordi storyline was lame and not even entertaining. No offense to the actor playing Jordi, but it was hard for me to believe this famous pop star thought he was so talented that she wouldn't introduce him to her manager. He sounded like every other kid at open mic night - not horrible, but nothing memorable either. And did he forget that he's in a hospital and there are cameras everywhere? Hopefully he doesn't end up getting arrested for stealing drugs from an old lady and selling them. At first I thought well, at least he has the common sense to take the pills out of the original bottle but later he threw a bottle at Delaney so I'm assuming that's how it will get traced back to him.

The girl who plays Emma is a pretty girl but her acting was very Drama 101 in the scene where she told Leo that she has been faking it and waiting for someone to notice. I was sure he was going to tattle on her to her dad for her own good in that last scene.

Nurse Jackson telling Kara that it's her job to take care of her heart? Cheesetastic! I don't care about Hunter at all.

Can we at least get some more Kenji for the last few episodes?

I haven't been watching but turned back in last night because  nothing else was on.

1. Dr. Mandy Moore, head of the hospital. HA! Wow, this show shoots for the unrealistic fence.  Never mind I still don't understand most of their care decisions.

2. Emma, I hate emma. I am sorry all of her problems are so of her own making and are so lower level compared to needing a new heart or cancer.  She is a spoiled brat and I hope she dies.

3. Dr. McDreamy there... ugh. He isn't all that... and seems to be kind of a sexual predator. Plus can we talk about how he seems to be the only doctor who has expertise in EVERYTHING. Neurology, cancer... ikes.

4. Why was the rock star put on the "red band" ward? She allegedly was suffering from exhaustion... not in anyway near what the others were. Do they house people via age?

So glad this show got cancelled.

• Love 1

I suspect that it'll air through December and then disappear from the schedule in January, only to be quietly burned off over the summer. Or, if it continues to air new episodes each week through November and December, it'll hit episode 13 on Dec. 24. 

I suppose it's too much to ask that they actually wind up each person's storyline.

Emma goes home and learns a secret that throws her into a tailspin, as Jordi debates breaking the law to get what he wants. Meanwhile, betrayal abounds as Leo and Kara hit the road and leave Ocean Park Hospital. Then, Hunter receives the news he has been waiting for and approaches a life-altering medical procedure with Dash by his side. Also, love is in the air as Nurse Jackson and Dr. Naday try to get Charlie to respond.

Man, this show has gotten so predictable. Kara, the bitch with a secret heart of gold, refuses to take Leo to see Emma and instead becomes all supportive of his soccer which results in them pulling the classic Rayanna and Jordan sex in the parking lot betrayal - and while Hunter is having surgery! And this was after Kara got pouty because Hunter had the absolute gall to let his parents take him home. She can't believe that he would really go home to make his mom feel better because everything is all about Kara. And of course as Hunter is leaving, his pager goes off to say he is getting an organ!

Emma pretends she is fine because she still wants someone to pay enough attention to her to realize that she isn't okay. Then she adds bulimia to her eating disorder repertoire and ends up unconscious on her bathroom floor. Bonus: we got the tv cliche of toothbrush = self induced vomiting. Because who would ever use something as boring as their own finger to make themselves puke?

And of course Jordi is going to be a drug dealer to fund his emancipation paperwork!

Meanwhile the nurse whose name I've forgotten blurts out that she slept with Dr. Jack and Kenji and Nurse Jackson are suitably horrified, which in turn leads to Nurse Jackson deciding not to date the weirdo hippie doctor who is visiting. Of course he takes that as permission to kiss her at work. Come on, guys, let's not enourage this kind of "no means yes" behavior. She just said she doesn't want to get involved with a coworker so he kisses her AT WORK? Ugh, dude.

I know very little about the organ donation process, but isn't it anonymous? Meaning the nurse couldn't or shouldn't tell Hunter whose liver he is getting?

This show had such potential and now it's just a soap opera full of cliches that you can see coming a mile away.

I don't know all the details about organ donation, but I read a book by a woman who had received a heart-lung transplant, and she knew lots of stuff about her donor, and I think even met his family eventually.

I thought Hunter wanted a name to verify that it wasn't his sister's donation-- was surprised when they played it straight.

The episode description said Emma found out a secret at home, but I didn't get that. I got that she was just not ready to eat and deal with life in general, not that she was reacting to any big revelation.

The episode description said Emma found out a secret at home, but I didn't get that. I got that she was just not ready to eat and deal with life in general, not that she was reacting to any big revelation.

I got the impression that the secret was about her grandmother's potential anorexia. Finding that out would definitely have the possibility of sending her into a tailspin. 

• Love 1

I know very little about the organ donation process, but isn't it anonymous? Meaning the nurse couldn't or shouldn't tell Hunter whose liver he is getting?

I believe it all depends on the family, but the doctors would know the basic stats even if it were anonymous, like age, weight, height, for viability purposes. If the family wanted it to be open, or the guy chose for it to be an open donation where the person could know his name, then why not?

This show is beyond ridiculous.  Cara and Hunter have known each other for about a week, why should he feel guilty about wanting to leave the girl he barely knows so he can go home with the parents who have been raising him for what appears to be 37 years?

• Love 4

So I just finished binge-watching the season so far. Am I supposed to think Dr. Matt is a dick? I mean, I realize what he said makes sense (and hitting him in the previous episode was out of line), but fuck that guy. I'm siding with the ridiculous nurse on this one.

Most of these kids should be in SSI, especially Jordi and coma boy. When one is on SSI, they are also on Medicare. I think abandoned Jordi is on SSI which may explain how he was able to obtain emacipated minor status so quickly. He will have an income.

I found the way that Mandy Moore's annoying doctor witnessed Kara committing Hunter's sister to be an effective means of clearing the decks for the heart to go to Kara (without the threatened appeal).

I thought this was a pretty decent and sad episode, on balance.

Since the show is cancelled anyway, it would be awesome if the endgame had all the kids dying, one by one. Sort of like my brain cells as I watch this show.

That would be kind of dark ... On the other hand I'd be happy if Emma would die, I find her existence on the show tedious. I think it's how her voice sounds as she yells at Leo over and over again about stuff...

The only unexpected thing in this episode was Leo's cancer spreading to his brain, which is still not that surprising. I'm not saying I need the show to have wacky plots from left field, but it's just so predictable. OF COURSE Hunter died so that Kara could get his heart! OF COURSE Emma found out that Leo and Kara slept together! OF COURSE Jordi wasn't emancipated.

I know I am supposed to root for the kids, but I had to take the judge's side. If you aren't adult enough to speak up during the hearing where you are trying to convince the judge that you are, in fact, an adult, why should she sign off on that? While it was nice of Nurse Jackson to speak up on his behalf, her speech was pointless. What she should have said is that Jordi has been acting like a responsible adult and taking care of himself for years because his mother is not the most present parent and that it's only fair that he should be allowed to make legal decisions about his own health since he has been basically been his own parent for a long time

Heh, I would be fine with most of the kids dying in the finale, but Dash can stick around. He's okay in my book  I love how he has the mildest health issues of the main characters and he still has to stay but Hunter, Emma, and Leo were all cleared to go home at one point or another.

The only unexpected thing in this episode was Leo's cancer spreading to his brain, which is still not that surprising.

I seem to remember reading that the character of Leo is based on a real life guy and his hospital experiences.

I initially thought Dr. Dave was looking at scans of Leo's brain because the area was kind of oval/round shaped (and to be honest, I wasn't giving this episode my full attention) but I just went back to check and I think it's actually a scan of his leg (if it's supposed to be his brain, then he is in a lot of trouble!). The middle scan on the bottom shows two round shapes next to each other which I assume are his two legs.

dyoxtGa.png

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo