Type keyword(s) to search

Red Band Society - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I'm glad I tuned in.  I don't care if I had to suspend some disbelief as I was hooked within the first five minutes.  Overall I liked the "Scrubs"ish vibe and the "Breakfast Club" overtones.

I had no intention of watching this and was surprised how much I liked it. I totally felt the Breakfast Clubness of it, I think that's what made me like it so much. As others have pointed out, it is the pilot and relying on FOX to give a show time to grow scares me, I'm afraid to get invested and I know I will if I keep watching it. Joss Whedon rules my viewing choices so I have no problem with suspension of belief.

I really hope FOX keeps it in the same time slot and doesn't wait a month between episodes and lets the writers write what could be a great show that will end up causing me distress, anxiety, and a lot of tears, just the way I like it. :D

And I'm looking at you too writers.

Coma kid would be in a skilled nursing facility, not a hospital.  You're not going to be in a hospital unless you're sick enough to need constant care by a doctor, otherwise they'd be in a rehab facility or at home with a home healthcare aide.    The only one who would be in the hospital is heart girl, but she'd be under constant monitoring.  Cancer kid 1 would be at home, cancer kid 2 wouldn't get past the ER, CF kid would be at home, eating disorder kid would be in a mental ward or ED clinic and coma kid as I said before would be in a nursing facility because he doesn't need constant monitoring by a Dr. 

• Love 2

I think if they could find a way to make this a little more realistic I would enjoy it. If Jordy was on his way to the operating room, he would have a saline IV and would most likely be sedated. No way would the doctors let him run around the hospital at that time. Heart patient girl would be closely monitored because she could easily have passed out on the rooftop and her parents would have sued. Not to mention the idea that these children not only live full time at the hospital, but have full reign of these huge wards with no parents or relatives present. Then of course there is the idea that a doctor would operate on a minor with no parents or guardian present. Sure. I did like the actor who played Leo and I think it could be a good show but not as it is.

I actually thought the Red Band Society would be a bunch of kids who meet up with having Chemo and then it would be about their lives, it never occurred to me that these kids would be full time residents and yet appear healthy enough to run around and steal doctor's cars.

• Love 1

There is a line Charlie says in the first block, something like "living in a hospital is like being at boarding school" that I think summed up what is the main goal of this show: put a bunch of kids/teens in a sort of contained environment where they don't need to follow the exactly rules of the outside world and there is not need for adults other than their doctors/nurses who clearly play the rule of teachers if this was indeed a show about a boarding school.

I'm willing to suspend a lot of disbelief, including the fact that none of those kids aside Kara would really be there, but, yes,  please, at least make some allusion to things like who is paying these bills, how Jordi, who is a minor, was able to cross the border, schedule an appointment, and go into surgery without an adult's consent, why Nurse Jackson didn't even mention that, I dunno, smoking some weed is not really a smart move when you get cystic fibrosis. A few adjusts here and there and this show would be much more enjoyable for me. I mean, how hard it is to write a s 0.10 seconds scene where McAndrew takes of Leo's band from Jordi's arm before surgery but promising to return it to him later, thus saving the kid from, who knows, get the wrong type of blood because if something goes South  all info is Leo's and not his?  And David Annable is looking daaaamn fine, but Mexico is a large country, with a bunch of great hospitals, where Jordi would have gotten excellent care without the need to go back to US.

I love Octavia Spencer, but word to whoever said she was challenging Bailey from Grey's Anatomy. Six months in and sponge bath nurse still doesn't have a clue? I have very mixed feelings about Reuben; I know he will probably turn out to be the father of some kid who died from disease X and is there to play the old wise voice of eccentricity, but an adult in a bathrobe and pajamas living in a hospital with vulnerable kids? Nope, please. How come Kara didn't set the fire alarm when she was smoking? Speaking abut it, Kara blowing smoke on Charlie's mouth was one of the most horrible things ever.

I usually hate voice overs, but I liked Charlie's and Charlie himself. I like Leo and the kid playing Jordi has charisma in spades. The football scene totally totally got me and I hate myself for falling for that, but that's life.

I'm giving this three more episodes and that is it.

Edited by Raachel2008

I am curious about why so many people are seeing Glee in this?  I've also seen a couple of professional reviews make the comparison.  But I am not flashing on Glee when I watched it.  Other than the bright color palette and the teenagers, what about it is triggering Glee comparisons?  I watched the first season of Glee and enjoyed it because it was quirky and a little bent (reminded me of Murphy's other teenaged show, Popular).  I bailed second season.

The previews with its plucky kids fighting the odds reminded me of season one Glee. However, the actual pilot reminded me of season two Glee. The "twist" that the narrator is a kid in a coma -- and that the unconscious kids can talk with him -- feels like how later Glee would handle a such a story. The heartless cheerleader has been done twice on Glee and a heartless teen needing a heart transplant feels like something Ryan Murphy would do. At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if Jordi turned out to be someone with an amputation fetish playing a con. Plus, the moments where realism gives way to a big sentimental gesture are very Glee.

And it's sort of discomforting to think that a girl with a serious enough eating disorder to be a permanent resident in a hospital is just given some food, left to eat it herself (unmonitored) and then "believed" when some of the food is gone. Again, from what I know of eating disorders this would never, ever happen in a ward.

I remember the first cast of Skins had a character with an eating disorder. She went through a lot of effort to hide that she still wasn't eating (which included secretly drinking a lot of water on weigh-in days). "Would you like to have my lunch?" wouldn't work.

I actually thought the Red Band Society would be a bunch of kids who meet up with having Chemo and then it would be about their lives, it never occurred to me that these kids would be full time residents and yet appear healthy enough to run around and steal doctor's cars.

ABC Family has a show about a young woman with cancer, Chasing Life. It's promising and a lot better than this show. Some of the action focused on her support group and those parts got really interesting since you actually had young people with cancer at different stages dealing with the disease in different ways.

That show makes being sick look complicated. This show makes it look like its full of wacky hijinks.

• Love 1

Chasing Life is a great example of how to do sick people well. It's complex, addresses the issues at hand, and nobody's randomly in the hospital when they're totally fine per all obvious metrics one would use to determine if they should be there.

A major problem with this show for me is that when you're okay enough to get up to whacky hijinks, you're okay enough to go home and be getting outpatient care. If you're not, it's pretty dull watching you hurl up your breakfast or be hooked up to tons of tubes while bedridden. Only the coma kid seems like he should actually be in the hospital. I'm all for giving a show one handwave to set up the premise, but this one somehow seems bigger than vampires are real and there's one cheerleader chosen to kill them all.

As unrealistic as the show is (and I agree with everyone that it is extremely unrealistic), I enjoyed the pilot. As others mentioned, it felt like The Breakfast Club in a hospital setting. That works for me. I'm not that interested in yet another medical drama so I wasn't planning on tuning in but I'm glad I did.

• Love 3

No way would these kids have so much freedom to roam the hospital.  When I spent time in a pediatric hospital, they were was a security chip in my ID bracelet.  Once I went to the public restroom right off the unit because my roommate was in my bathroom and when I returned 5 minutes later, half the nurses on the unit were looking for me.  No way would I be able to sneak out to buy beer

• Love 3

Yikes, I had this show DVR'd and I love me some Octavia Spencer but yikes..

First, this is plot hole-irific.

1) Hows there ever been a worse line than "Living in a hosptial is a lot like living in a boarding school, just with a lot more freedom"...Holy crap. How callous. Maybe on TV in the prettiest hospital on the planet with the healthiest looking patients in the world but man. I've read A Fault In Our Stars, and I can't help what Hazel would think of a line like that.

2) Jordi is a terrible actor. Like, make Colton Haynes of Arrow look like an Emmy winner bad.

3) Some of these in-patients make no sense. W

- Why is a girl with an eating disorder living full time a pediatric hosptial?

- Why is a kid who's not getting treatment for osteosarcoma still living in a hosptial. If these kids could walk and talk, and aren't getting treatment, they wouln't be in a hosptial.

- What do they all look so healthy for kids who need to live in a hosptial

- Why is a surgeon so involved with these kids? He's a surgeon. A pediatric physican would be more involved in the day to day lives of cancer patients. 

4) Why focus on the kids when you have Octavia Spencer? SHe was the best part...the kids were the worst part. How did you not see that in the pilot and immeditely re-shot?

5) How do they have so much freedom? They're sick!

6) This show falls under the "Sick is pretty, sick is heroic" that I don't think any cancer patient feels. THey don't want to be treated like saints but like people and this fails to do that. And that's it's most egregious error.

Also who thought Glee at a hosptial was a good idea? Yes I want to see every character on Glee die, but this isn't it!

Edited by XtremeOne1
  • Love 3

I am usually a sucker for over-the-top melodramatic hospital shows, but this was a little ridiculous even for me. I might give it one or two more episodes, then I'll see how full my DVR gets with the new season.  I suspect this will be the first to go.

I'm sorry, but this show is completely nuts, for all the reasons others have stated. Even the red bands. That is medical identification, you can't wear a whole bunch of them, and you can't give them out to other kids! Am I misunderstanding what they are?

Thank you!  I had assumed the title came from the fact that really sick pediatric patients were all given red ID bands. That scene on the roof was the final straw: so the bald kid has been wearing these bands for weeks and months, through sleep and showers, and yet they look brand new? And he can very easily slip them off his hand, yet they never just fall off or get in his way?  Right.  I've worn hospital bands for 3 days and they get completely ratty and have to be cut off your wrist.

• Love 1

if one of my annoying co-workers went to the trouble of buying/making a batch of muffins, I think I could muster up enough politeness to thank her for it. I certainly would never toss them in the trashcan in front of her. Just rude.

Or what about offering the muffins to your other coworkers? It is rude and wasteful to just throw them away.

• Love 1

So, Dash, the black kid, is the one with the weed connections, is the party animal and has sexual harassment issues that would get him kicked to a private room with a male nurse.  And Brittany never had ANY training for "sponge baths" (which are like the hoariest hospital joke EVAH) and how to handle randy patients.  Riiiiiiiight.

It's going on our 2nd DVR so my wife can watch -- she liked it.  I doubt I'll make any effort to see it again.

As unrealistic as the show is (and I agree with everyone that it is extremely unrealistic), I enjoyed the pilot. As others mentioned, it felt like The Breakfast Club in a hospital setting. That works for me. I'm not that interested in yet another medical drama so I wasn't planning on tuning in but I'm glad I did.

This lack of realism might bother me in the future, I also balked at the coma kid being there... I enjoyed the show a lot. When I was a kid I spend 10 years traipsing into a  hospital every three months for tests and doctors appointments on a specialized wing and it reminded me of that.  I even thought Dave Annabell seemed a little young to be the big doctor that was so well known. He must have gone to medical school in his teens. Must be nice that Jordi just cut the line in front off like 100s of other people who were probably waiting for the doctor. 

I will give it a few more episodes.

Edited by BooBear

Given the lack of realism on other TV shows these days (Revolution, Under the Dome, any sitcom, any 'reality' show, I'm willing to let the realism issue slide.  It made for an enjoyable hour of TV entertainment.  That's all I require. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 3
I was distracted by Dave Annable's graying hair and still-brown facial hair.

Is that the cancer doctor? If so, I was more distracted by his horrible toupee.

I thought this was awful. Bad acting, obvious jokes, and way too melancholy. The whole scene with the kid passing out his wrist bands as if it was somehow meaningful was bizarre and lame.

Edited by 90PercentGravity
  • Love 2

I've created a new account just to reply to this. I'm on my phone and it looks super weird, so near (or is it bare?) with me!

As far as the girl with the eating disorder, she seemed to be in a different ward. Some hospitals do have eating disorder rehab facilities, but like mentioned above, it seems very odd that she was left alone to eat. I was hospitalized for an eating disorder as a teen, and you even so supervised meals as an outpatient. No way they would allow that. As an outpatient, you might eat on your own and then have a check, but never as an inpatient! Also most facilities in the US will kick you out after 30 days due to insurance. Some countries have inpatient eating disorder treatments that last for 6 months or more, but the waiting list is long as heck.

Do people stay in the hospital this long in Spain where the original show was set? Because I'm an American in the UK, and even though you get hospitalized here for things you may not in the US/stay longer, it isn't dramatically so because the NHS can't afford it. I'm not sure if kids would be in the hospital for chemo here, but I kind of doubt it.

All that being said, I kinda love it in some weird way. I'll give it a couple more episodes anyway!

Given the lack of realism on other TV shows these days (Revolution, Under the Dome, any sitcom, any 'reality' show, I'm willing to let the realism issue slide. It made for an enjoyable hour of TV entertainment. That's all I require.

I'd give this show up in a racing heartbeat to have Revolution back. Yeah I know it sucked but I miss Monroe.

My tween was desperate to see this. I told her we would watch a couple of episodes but if it became inappropriately teen-y then it was gone. (She has plenty of time to do the teen thing so I protect her while I still can.) She really liked it. I found myself hoping they would do something truly horrible so I could cut it. Sigh. It's on probation due to the casual nature of the drug & alcohol use. C'mon Red Banders & go wild enough I can drop you off the schedule!

His name is Astro(?) was a contestant as a rapper on X Factor(?). 

Yeah, he was. He was kind of cute there.

And, no, these kids wouldn't be in the hospital for these things here. It's almost impossible to last more than a few days unless you're coma kid, and even he'd be offloaded to some nursing facility pretty fast.

Another thing that bugged was Nurse Jackson's (Did we ever hear her first name? Maybe Jackson is her first name? Maybe its a Boy Named Sue situation?  I digress.)  reaction to Nurse Brittany and the muffins. She was just downright rude.

Her name is Scary Bitch!

• Love 2

When my sister was in a hospital due to a ruptured appendix that turned septic, there were other kids that stayed full time for long amounts of time. There was one girl I remember that had a blood clot in her brain that could move at any time so she was there for months at a time. She did not look sick, but I guess she needed to be there. This was 15 years ago, so maybe times have changed, but that has stuck with me. My sister was there for a week as well.

I liked the show, I guess we shall see who gets super sick and makes a miraculous recovery just in time for sweeps.

I feel like an absolute fool.  First time watching, cried through it and although I wanted to change it, I did not. 

We were one family blessed to walk out of CHOC and never have to go back again.  Being on the cancer floor was frightening.  I feel embarrassed to get mad at my son for slamming the toilet lid down. 

I appreciate the snarky lines.  The seriousness does come through.  Prayers to everyone who is going through cancer, Sincerely, Lab <3

• Love 6

Damn, when did Dave Annable get so gray?

How are they performing surgery on Jordy without a parent to give permission?

Hey, Doctor, giving out Jordy's information to Leo is a violation of federal law.

I love when Kara's stepmother called Charlie cute and he VO'd "devastatingly handsome"

• Love 4

So how many parents does Kara have? So the mom and dad parents from the pilot got cut out and we're supposed to forget they even exist because her moms flew in from Cabo and these are her new parents? They should have just cut the scene of Kara's old parents from the pilot instead of airing the scene last week and then bringing in a new set of parents this week.

These kids seems to drink a lot for being cancer and hospital bound. 2 for 2 on the drinking.

• Love 2

How are they performing surgery on Jordy without a parent to give permission?

I'm assuming they got the hospital social worker involved and they have guardianship over Jordy/have given the hospital permission to do whatever is medically necessary to treat his cancer while they attempt to get in contact with relatives.

So how many parents does Kara have? So the mom and dad parents from the pilot got cut out and we're supposed to forget they even exist because her moms flew in from Cabo and these are her new parents? They should have just cut the scene of Kara's old parents from the pilot instead of airing the scene last week and then bringing in a new set of parents this week.

I'm *guessing* that last week we saw her father and her step-mother on that side.

That's just a theory, though.

What was up with Dave Annabel's voice this episode? It was like he just had dental work and was struggling to talk.  I am not sure that I understood Leo's melt down. Surely someone that experienced would know the only reason they wouldn't take the leg was actually a worse situation for Jordy

Ok these kids have known each other for like or 48/72 hours tops and are all up in each other business and jealous and resentful and pouting about each other really?

Just not feeling it for some reason.

I am not sure that I understood Leo's melt down. Surely someone that experienced would know the only reason they wouldn't take the leg was actually a worse situation for Jordy

My theory is Leo desperately wanted someone to be in the same situation he's in so they could understand what he goes through and share the same feelings and experience.  He's not thinking beyond the leg.

• Love 4
What was up with Dave Annabel's voice this episode? It was like he just had dental work and was struggling to talk.

I noticed it too. I couldn't recall hearing that weird lisp from him before on other shows so I was wondering what happened.

Ok these kids have known each other for like or 48/72 hours tops and are all up in each other business and jealous and resentful and pouting about each other really?

Heh, well, they are teenagers after all.

I know I was supposed to see Kara's bio mom's behavior and understand Kara more but all I thought was ugh, ANOTHER obnoxious character.

Leo can kindly STFU with his slut shaming at the party. That is classic dick behavior. A cute college girl is nice enough to make out with you and then you call her a slut? Fuck off, Leo.

• Love 2

I don't know, I'm not feeling this show.  I loathe the voice overs, can't stand Kara, don't really like Leo either, feel like Dash is just playing a stereotype.  I can't get past why all these kids are in the hospital full time.  I wanted to like this, but I don't.  I'm still a co-mod here, so I'll be hanging around, but I don't know if I'm going to watch it anymore.

• Love 1

I'm with you GenL but I didn't even want to like it because sick kids are just not something I really want to watch. But I read good reviews so I've watched the first 2 shows. I agree that less focus on the kids would help this show tremendously. I like Nurse Jackson, Nurse Wilson Cruz (what's his name?) and Nurse Brittany. I liked Dr. Dave Annable until the end. Blech. And Coma Boy is the worst!

Yeah, I would give up on the show, but I'm hoping the snark-factor will make it more fun to watch.  I just can't get into the storyline because I can't suspend belief for that long... The things that bugged-

The handling of Emma, the anorexic girl: so last week we had a situation where the nurse just left food for her and she was not monitored as she ate.  When food was gone from the plate, it was assumed she ate it. Then this week, the most-unbelievably naïve nurse goes to weigh her, leaves her alone right before the weigh in (because apparently nurses aren't told in advance of all the tricks kids with eating disorders get up to before a weigh in) and Emma goes so far as to overload herself with clothes, stuff rolls of coins down her bra and chug a huge bottle of water.  Then she gets weighed in in what looks like a gym, in front of others who hear all about her weight gain.  Nope.  That's not how it would be done, ever.  And where is her doctor?  And where is her therapist?  And why does she seem to be alone on the unit?

Nurse Brittany- I may be almost able to believe her if she was clearly a nurse in training or an intern or whatever. But even then, how could have had NO training in any of the issues that these kids may present with. Then of course, she saves the day for Leo, but like, in what hospital can a nurse just leave the grounds without telling anyone and wander off in the middle of a shift?  I'm re-thinking my desire to be in that hospital if the nurses just disappear willy nilly during their shifts.

Jordy- OK, I'll admit I thankfully know very little about childhood cancer.  But last week I complained that it seemed premature to amputate Jordy's leg without extensive testing.  Then this week, they open him up, discover the cancer has spread and decide not to amputate.  Did the Dr. ever consider this as a possibility?  Wouldn't he have had to prep Jordy for all possible outcomes? Like, I've had minor surgeries before and the doctors prep you for just about every possible thing from "we'll open you up and find nothing and you'll be home in an hour... or you may drop dead on the operating table!"  Would they have been able to test for the spread of the cancer without doing the surgery?  Are we now actually going to see Jordy get ill from his treatments?  Like, will one of the cancer patients actually have to go through chemo on this show????

Nurse Jackie & other nurses- I have two friends who are nurses in pediatric units in major metropolitan hospitals.  Both of them work in a specific "ward"- one in oncology and the other in cardiac/pulmonary.  They never move from ward to ward, and are specifically trained for their particular type of patient.  Certainly my friend who works in oncology never works with patients in the eating disorders clinic.  But it seems like Nurse Jackie and all the nurses move easily from one ward to another.  In fact, I'm not even sure if they have different wards in this hospital, other than the eating disorders one, but apparently anyone can go visit it when they want.  Nurse Jackie doesn't really seem to do any nursing at all.  I like her character the best, followed by Nurse Cruz, but she seems more like the hospital therapist than she does a nurse.  Has she even taken a pulse yet?  And why does she allow kids to skateboard in the hallway? 

Did Dash and Leo just discover that this big, huge, wide-open, fully-encased-in-glass hospital had a frat house directly across the street?  I guess maybe the hospital is on a university campus... but it sure seems like they wouldn't have to go far to get beer ever again.  Why is Dash even there in the hospital?  He doesn't seem sick in any way, shape or form- not enough to be living in the hospital.  Was Leo supposed to be drunk at the frat house?  Why didn't we at least get to see him hungover?  Is he still undergoing chemo treatments?  If not, why is he there?  If so, how does alcohol mix with chemo?  How can these kids just get up and leave the hospital so easily whenever they want.  And no one seems to notice?  And how come some of the kids get to wear street clothes and others are in a gown (Dash versus Kara)? And why was Kara wearing thigh high boots while she was laying in bed? Can't this hospital or her richy rich Mom's buy her a nice pair of slippers?

I too was bugged about the ease with which confidential information is shared with the kids.  And while I know Charlie can hear everything... who is doing all this talking about everyone else in front of him?  How would he even know Emma?  Do the kids from all the different wards come together and hang out with him?  Why is he in a room with a cardiac patient?  Surely they have a head injury recovery unit, right?

Speaking of bugged, I could not understand what happened to Dave Annable's voice either... I think he must have had some dental work done the morning of shooting or something, but it was driving me crazy. I couldn't listen to him after a while.

There's much more I could say, but luckily for you I have to go to work!

• Love 3

Nurse Wilson Cruz (what's his name?)

Kenji Gomez-Rejon (although we have only heard his first name on the show)

why was Kara wearing thigh high boots while she was laying in bed?

I thought those were the same tall socks she has been wearing. I don't understand why she is running around in a short hospital gown and tall socks instead of just putting on some damn pants. I guess we are supposed to assume she isn't wearing regular clothes like the other kids because her parents didn't bring her any but it's still stupid.

Why is Dash even there in the hospital? He doesn't seem sick in any way, shape or form- not enough to be living in the hospital.

He has cystic fibrosis.

I hate that they are painting Brittany as the dumb new nurse. If she has been there six months and is weighing patients like Emma, she would have been told to check for extra weights and to take her clothing into consideration.

He has cystic fibrosis.

Even the girl on Bates Motel who has cystic fibrosis has to have oxygen and she is out and about living at home, going to school and working at the motel.

The bitchy cheerleader knows more about  eating disorders than the dumb nurse.

• Love 1

.. The things that bugged-

Everything I agree with. I do have to wonder how long I am going to be able to really watch this show with all of these little things. It starts to feel like you are watching a fairy tale. For me the Doctor's character is just too young looking. An accomplished surgeon is just older than that, and where are the other doctors in this hospital?  They really annoyed me last night by making him go for a drink and sleep with some stranger.  Accomplished surgeons are MARRIED and tired. They don't go out for drinks alone unless they have a problem. In isolation I could let it go but boy, there are a lot of things.

Haha but what about all those young unmarried brilliant surgeons who are always drinking after work on Grey's Anatomy?

Another fairy tale.. but now aren't they all married? I don't want the show anymore... but