Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Monsters Among Us

• Start Topic

The movie was very grainy but I had the feeling peppermint girl was kidnapped, drugged and raped.

Not that I'm trying to get into a debate over the definition of "rape," but it didn't appear that she was being...forced? I think she was drugged and "willingly" participated while under the influence. When Elsa showed her the film of her clearly "enjoying" the orgy, I think she realised that there was no way she could argue that she was raped...because the evidence was right there, with her smiling and watching happily.

What does it say about me, that the one thing about the episode that made me go "Hey, wait a minute!" Was Elsa singing " Life On Mars" on a show set in 1952?

This one was very slow to start, I thought, but finished strong. Of the four seasons, I think this one may be the most ambitious with it's premise, and took some time to really build up to that.

Not only was this young woman a victim of drugging and gang rape and then told "you liked it," it was clearly established that she "deserved it" for being an almost reform-school girl/being insensitive towards freaks ("If I gave birth to something that looked like that I'd drown it in the bathtub.")

But she was snapping her gum when she said it!

My take was that she didn't waste any time checking out the exotica recommended to her by the seductive foreign woman in furs, got an opium high going after she arrived and engaged in activity she was hazy about,  but which she was pretty sure she regretted when her buzz wore off.  Jessica:  "Really?  Let's go to the video."

Quite the setup, just to score a candystriper outfit--which is why AHS is so tantalizingly bizarre. . .and horror-ible.  Any other show would have clonked her over the head in the parking lot and taken her uniform.

Two heads vs. conjoined torsos:  ditto.

• Love 2

What is the tall lady's deformity? I dont think she's freakishly tall--she's even wearing 4-5 inch heels.

She's super effing tall, 6'8" in real life, at least 7' in heels

• Love 1
What is the tall lady's deformity? I dont think she's freakishly tall--she's even wearing 4-5 inch heels.

Height and weight were often exaggerated with costumes/props in order to make the performers look taller/smaller or fatter/thinner. It was common to wear platform or high heeled shoes or hats in order to make giants appear taller. They might even use items in their shows that were slightly smaller than normal, like undersize cups or chairs to make them seem larger, as well. It's a show, after all.

I have to do some research to see if the diner scene was filmed at Camellia Grill in New Orleans. My son goes to school down there and it sure looked like it (and maybe they started filming this season while still on location in NOLA for Coven?)

With the exception of Kathy Bates' super-distracting accent, I give this episode three thumbs up!

• Love 2

I am not afraid of clowns, but Twisty in broad daylight? Just, no. Can't unsee it. But I thought the scene with the picnic was reminiscent of the original Frankenstein film. The scary looking creature offers the little girl flowers. Underneath, frankensteins creature isn't bad. So I thought that was where this would go,..and then I realized it is AHS. So, there is no good underneath.

I already have....let's say "issues"....with clowns.  Twisty is the stuff of nightmares for me.  Have zero sympathy for any of the characters as of yet.  BUT, I am interested to see where this show goes. 

• Love 2

Ok, so, at the risk of appearing ignorant, what is it that the lobster boy character can do with his hands that a regular guy can't do?

In answer to someone's question above: the real lobster boy was murdered by another performer, the wife was convicted of manslaughter for asking the other performer to kill her husband.  Lobster boy's son has recently given interviews where he does say his father was abusive and a drunk (his words)

Jessica Lange's character was trying to channel Marlene Dietrich, but all that make-up made her look like Mrs. Roper from Three's Company. And why was she singing a Bowie song from the 1970s when the show is set in 1952?

The murder of the cop was ridiculous, excessive and unjustified. The cop was an asshole, but Bette did kill her mother. Sadly, based on their Siamese status, Dot (the twin I actually find likable) would go down as well.

One episode in, and the inevitable disaster hand-writing is already on the wall.

How is killer clown walking around the streets of America looking like that and not getting caught?

There is no way creepy mom and mama's boy are not going to play a role in the downfall of the freak show, which based on the dynamic we saw, they should most definitely be a part of.

Every season, I get sucked in by the promise of what the season could be, and every season I wind up wishing I had either not wasted my time, or at the very least bailed when I saw the ship sinking. This will no doubt be a repeat of previous seasons, but hope springs eternal.

• Love 1

What I didn't like about the cop was that he wanted to railroad the girls for other murders committed by Twisty because he thinks they are monstrous freaks and in his mind it's like of course they'd be serial killers just look at them! Nor did the guy even so much as blink when it came to pondering the fate of the sister who hadn't committed a murder.

I don't blame Dot for covering for her sister. If she doesn't then she'll be taken down with Bette and I'm pretty sure the penalty would have been death.. Telling the truth would only get her in more trouble and it's apparent that people are going to be inclined to think the worst of them simply because of their status of being conjoined.

Slightly OT but in response to the poster who read about the real lifeLobster Boy Grady Stiles--

This episode inspired me to do a bit of background reading on sideshow performers who were prominent during the heyday of circuses and carnivals and nearly all of the stories are shockingly sad and depressing. Stiles had it better than a lot of others that's for sure.

• Love 1
BTW Lobster Boy is real - I remember reading a book about a murder that the real Lobster Boy was supposed to have committed years ago.

Yes, he murdered his daughter's fiancee right before the wedding.  Apparently, he was found guilty in a court of law, but he got a sentence of 15 years of probation because the Department of Corrections didn't have any facilities capable of addressing the needs of his disability (whatever that means, does anyone know what kind of provisions would have to be in place for a prisoner with this condition?)

Edited by WearyTraveler

Ok, but a regular guy can use two or three fingers if he chooses (sorry to get graphic), so, if there's nothing particularly special about the lobster boy, I'd guess it was the fetish aspect combined with the housewives feeling neglected and/or that their husbands weren't paying attention to their particular needs.

The only other thing I can imagine is that given the separation between his digits, lobster boy can manage to stimulate the women vaginally and anally at the same time (again, sorry for getting graphic).  But, once again, a regular guy can manage that using both his hands, so, unless someones has knowledge of something special that this boy can do that a regular guy can't, I'll take the above mentioned explanation.

Ok, so, at the risk of appearing ignorant, what is it that the lobster boy character can do with his hands that a regular guy can't do?

Maybe he's like the 1950s human version of the Rabbit vibrator (clitoris and vagina/g-spot).  That was my thought.  I don't think that the average 50's housewife would be into having her anus probed much less so many Tupperware party goers.  

• Love 6
Every season, I get sucked in by the promise of what the season could be, and every season I wind up wishing I had either not wasted my time, or at the very least bailed when I saw the ship sinking. This will no doubt be a repeat of previous seasons, but hope springs eternal.

I'm with ya, Happytobehere.  We usually last about three episodes every season before giving up.  I always do enjoy the quirkiness of the characters and the excellent costumes, make-up and set.  I just never care about the stories.  It's a very creative show, but not sustainable for me.

I enjoy reading the references to DePalma's "Sisters," (1973) and wonder if I missed further explanations.  Jennifer Salt, American Horror Story producer was an actress in "Sisters."   She and Margot Kidder were Hollywood wild girls who partied with people who became some of our best actors, directors, etc.  They were the stars of "Sisters."    I remember being surprised at seeing Jennifer Salt's production credits some years ago...thinking she had just been some flash-in-the-pan pretty starlet.

• Love 1

Maybe he's like the 1950s human version of the Rabbit vibrator (clitoris and vagina/g-spot).  That was my thought.  I don't think that the average 50's housewife would be into having her anus probed much less so many Tupperware party goers.  

Yup, that's exactly what I assumed as well.

• Love 1

Jessica Lange's character was trying to channel Marlene Dietrich, but all that make-up made her look like Mrs. Roper from Three's Company.

She looked and sounded terrible.  I'm all for camp but that was just bad.  

Boring episode for me, but I haven't been really drawn into this show since the first season.  Sarah Paulson's CGI was distracting and the clown was creepy but not terrifying.  I had the same reaction with Asylum, so many things were just thrown out there, it's just a mishmash to me.

I just never care about the stories.  It's a very creative show, but not sustainable for me.

I agree Former Nun; I had hopes for this season but story wise it doesn't seem interesting.  Visually (costumes and set) it does look great though.

Edited by raven

Part of the problem with this show for me is that it comes on at 10:00 (usually bed time for me) and the commercials, commercials, commercials.  Slow building story lines make it seem more like work than entertainment.  So I purposely didn't watch on Wednesday and caught it on-demand last night.  I have to say that did the trick.  There are still commercials but only one or two between segments.  It was much more "fun" to watch and I find I can relax more and get in to the story. I should mention that I plowed through "Murder House" and "Asylum" on Netflix.

With everything that went down in "Freak Show", my biggest "OH MY GOD" moment was LobsterBoy Gigilo at the tupperware party.  I was somewhere between "I'm cracking up" and "I can't unsee it" lol.  Of course, having my teenager sitting in the room saying "EEEEWWWAAAA!!!" made it even funnier :)

I'm in, at least for now, as long as I can keep catching it on-demand!

Edited because I should proofread before I post.

Edited by RalyWilmy
  • Love 1

I think it's maybe a combination of the DP ability (he's giving 'em "the shocker") along with the fact that it looked like his conjoined fingers were kind of knobby too...providing extra stimulation from inside.

• Love 2

I don't have a fear of clowns but I can see why other people would and I thought the picnic scene with the couple was pretty scary. I couldn't believe she took the flowers! At first I thought there'd be something in them.

Me too. And then when he pulled the bowling pins out of the sack so slowly, one by one, I thought for sure the final one would have something horrific on it. Like bowling pin, bowling pin, severed hand.

• Love 2

I seem to always come late to these things, but here's my unsolicited $0.02

1) Twisty the Clown - when Husband and I were watching this and Twisty came out of the forest on the two lovers on a picnic I looked at Husband and said "This never ends well." And for some depraved, hard to identify reason I LOVE this clown. He is so over the top that he went from terrifying to hilarious. Maybe it's because the quite, unassuming human monsters that look normal are far more scary to me than a scalp-wearing murderous clown. Go figure. Still, I want a doll of this fucker for my dashboard. Maybe a bobble-head!

2) To me, definitely an over done Baltimore accent. I grew up in the DC area and it's the kind of accent one does to make fun of Baltimore. I wish she'd pull back just a bit on it. 

3) FWIW, I LOVE the constant of the "peepers" - what my family calls the sounds of the summer bugs and frogs on the East Coast. For me it's the sound of home so anytime I hear it I am charmed a bit. It was loud, but then they are loud down here... the sound mixing could have been better - there was one scene where Lange and Bates are talking in hushed tones and we had to turn up the sound... only to get blasted by the opening of the next scene. 

4)  Back to Twisty - I think JayKay has it right: 

Twisty's all "Let me entertain you? No, no, you don't get a choice."

He didn't start flipping out on the cages until he noticed that his captive audience was expressing terror over amusement, and he didn't attack the picnickers until the guy started shooing him away.​

I picked up on this too and got the feeling that anyone who shows him a modicum of courtesy will get "entertained" whether they like it or not and the rest will be stabbed repeatedly. I'm curious where things will go with his two captives as of the whole cast they seem innocent (although the blonde was pretty stupid for not running full out when she first saw him). 

5) the Candy-striper... I don't think she was given a drugged cigarette only because JL lit it and sucked a few puffs down first. Granted she probably has an immunity of sorts if it were drugged, but she strikes me as the kind of person who would rather get things done through salesmanship. The woman is a carnival barker almost literally.. I think she'd feel she failed if she had to resort to something like drugging someone - not that she wouldn't hesitate to drug someone, only that she'd rather just manipulate them. I hate, hate HATE going into this ugly territory, but there is this nasty place where a woman regrets her decisions and it looks a lot like rape to the rest of us. I'm not saying she wasn't raped and if she was then I'm all for the outrage and disgust. BUT (!) given the history of this show and how they love to flirt with this ugly line I'm not 100% comfortable going "OMG - rape!" When it comes down to it, my gut is saying "she went to the carnival, she went way past her envelop, shocked herself with her own abandon and when she sobered up she was disgusted with herself." I may have folks vehemently disagree with me, but I'm just calling it like I see it. I do wish they weren't so ambiguous about it though. (Dandesun put it better than I did!)

5b) As a side note - anyone think it odd that the projector just happened to have the reel of the festivities of an opium fueled orgy featuring the very person who is up in arms about where she has found herself? I doubt it will ever be addressed and will just be one of those weird details, but it seemed very odd that JL is sitting quietly reflecting on the images, shuts it off, is immediately confronted by the candy-striper, turns it back on cued up to the orgy itself. I just think it's weird. 

6) the sex! I honestly never saw the side business of Jimmy and his ectrodactyly hands. Interesting twist... and an interesting way to make some side cash. I kind of hope that he and the twins get caught up in something sordid. But his hair?? ugh. I guess I should be grateful that it's not the 70's and he isn't sporting massive sideburns and a puffy coif. Still. 

7) The twins - I like 'em as a concept, but what little I do know of conjoined twins, their relationship isn't quite so adversarial. I like that they can "hear" each others thoughts, but it's a little too fantastic for me and kind of pulled me out of the story - even though it helped provide a perspective otherwise not available to the audience. Next week looks like fun and I don't care that the music is out of sync with the time. I actually like it (though Husband had to point out that it was a Bowie song). 

8) I missed the "next time" and am not happy to read that Ma Petit maybe in trouble. I really liked her and want to see more of her on screen. She might be the one character that makes me feel bad because she is a grown adult woman and should be afforded every dignity and respect given to any adult woman. But dammit she is cute and makes me want to think of her in terms of a doll. 

9) Cop dismemberment! Is it awful that I was unmoved by the fact that a cop was killed, but rather delighted that the group - including the twins - were unified? I just have a hard time with the trope of the lazy, bigoted cop getting served and feeling like I should be sad for him. Hell, I pulled for Dexter and didn't feel conflicted so maybe it's just me. 

10) Elsa is a double amputee? Of everything in this episode - and there was a lot - this was one great big yawn from me. I hope there is some payout and back story to this. 

On the whole? Yay!! AHS is back and starting out with one hell of a bang. Here's hoping they can keep the momentum going. 

• Love 3

I watched this online and my daughter kept saying it wasn't all there.  I guess she's right as I didn't get to see the picnic scene people on here are referring to.  I'm bummed.  It showed the end credits and everything on the site I watched it at though.  Still bummed.  :(  Sorry if someone already addressed this.

• Love 1

As to the hand sex thing... I'm gonna get super graphic and just assume we're all adults here. 

I got the impression he was penetrating the vagina and rectum while stimulating the clitoris with his thumb. His digits are approximately twice the size in both length and girth AND knuckled. Which no only means "ribbed for her pleasure" but would be able to crook his digit to hit the g-spot. Excluding male boasting, I frankly don't think most men would be able to accomplish all of this with all ten digits. The coordination would have to be superior. 

Who thinks this will come out as a possible sex toy in the near future? 

• Love 4

My problem with this show just so far is those bloody comericals! It truly disturbs the feel of this show.

Also did the show foreshadow one of the twins being pregnant later on in the show? I only asked this because Elsa mention that one of the twins had a reproductive system and the other did not.

Also was Elsa character named after Disney Frozen? I hope soooo!!!

I only asked this because Elsa mention that one of the twins had a reproductive system and the other did not.

They share one reproductive system. I think it mostly served as an introduction to the sex question.

• Love 1

Former Nun, thank you for the Jennifer Salt/Sisters connection! I didn't even realize it until you pointed it out. That just kind of furthers the awesome for me on the season.

re: Elsa's Life on Mars performance

I got such a Rocky Horror Picture Show vibe. Remember when Tim Curry gave his farewell performance in the movie? I guess it was the heavy make up that did it for me. All Jessica Lange needed were some torn fishnet stockings!

I even wonder if the carny people are the 70s and the rest of the AHS world is the 50s, because wouldn't the 50s have been horrified by the freak show of the 70s?

• Love 3

I forgot to mention, the early scene of the twins being brought to the hospital, before we got a glimpse of them, was so OTT, with the hospital staff reacting so horrifically, shrieking and vomiting. In the Asylum season, I could buy the schoolchildren screaming when they saw poor disfigured Shelly, but for medical professionals to act that way upon seeing perfectly lovely conjoined twins? Even in that day and age, it just rang false.

re: Elsa's Life on Mars performance

I got such a Rocky Horror Picture Show vibe. Remember when Tim Curry gave his farewell performance in the movie? I guess it was the heavy make up that did it for me. All Jessica Lange needed were some torn fishnet stockings!

Yes!! I didn't get the David Bowie reference (although now that I know about it, that is awesome), so to me it was totally Frank N. Furter singing "I'm Going Home." Which was a pretty damn awesome reference too, even if it was only in my (and your!) mind.

Edited by canter
  • Love 2

Also was Elsa character named after Disney Frozen? I hope soooo!!!

Haha, that didn't even occur to me.  It is/was a pretty common German name, I think. Else/Elsa was my German grandmother's name, and I knew a couple of other old German ladies by that name when I was a kid. Is the name making a comeback because of Disney?

Guest Accused Dingo

I guess, but wouldn't they see worse trauma from car crash victims?

Well there are bad acciddents that any nurse is trained and prepared for and then there is....plus time was different then and well everything and everyone was separate. It is possible that the nurse has never seen anything like the twins before.

Edited by Accused Dingo

What I assumed was that, yes, a regular guy could do that with his hands, but these women's husbands were not about to.  Two women were having a conversation at the Tupperware party about how little sex they had been having recently and how low quality. So, they were stuck in unfulfilling sexual relationships which likely wasn't especially adventurous to begin with.  What to do?  It's not like they were going to have an affair. 

So, enter the circus freak who's safe outlet for these women. He's not about to expect a relationship or attachments and since it's a paying job I'd feel like he's not going to make it known around town or else risk backlash. win-win, I suppose.

• Love 2

What I assumed was that, yes, a regular guy could do that with his hands, but these women's husbands were not about to.  Two women were having a conversation at the Tupperware party about how little sex they had been having recently and how low quality. So, they were stuck in unfulfilling sexual relationships which likely wasn't especially adventurous to begin with.  What to do?  It's not like they were going to have an affair.

So, enter the circus freak who's safe outlet for these women. He's not about to expect a relationship or attachments and since it's a paying job I'd feel like he's not going to make it known around town or else risk backlash. win-win, I suppose.What I assumed was that, yes, a regular guy could do that with his hands, but these women's husbands were not about to.  Two women were having a conversation at the Tupperware party about how little sex they had been having recently and how low quality. So, they were stuck in unfulfilling sexual relationships which likely wasn't especially adventurous to begin with.  What to do?  It's not like they were going to have an affair.

That's the most reasonable & palpable assumption thus far.   Thanks Meraji :)

On another note, I can't wait to see what Twisty has in store for his play date with Dandy.     Let the good times roll !

• Love 3

I am always tardy to the party!

I got the impression he was penetrating the vagina and rectum while stimulating the clitoris with his thumb. His digits are approximately twice the size in both length and girth AND knuckled. Which no only means "ribbed for her pleasure" but would be able to crook his digit to hit the g-spot. Excluding male boasting, I frankly don't think most men would be able to accomplish all of this with all ten digits. The coordination would have to be superior. 

What I thought, and anyone watching Masters of Sex or with any other knowledge, feel free to correct, is: wasn't there a LOT of this sort of thing going on in the 50s? Well, maybe not a lot, but weren't women seeing psychiatrists for 'hysteria' & given manual orgasms? Also, "E" was over the counter, or maybe by prescription? 

• Love 2

His digits are approximately twice the size in both length and girth AND knuckled. Which no only means "ribbed for her pleasure" but would be able to crook his digit to hit the g-spot. Excluding male boasting, I frankly don't think most men would be able to accomplish all of this with all ten digits. The coordination would have to be superior.

I had the exact same impression.

What makes his hands distinctive isn't just that some of his fingers are stuck together. His fingers are friggin' huge, and very oddly shaped.

No one with typical hands would be able to give "the shocker" the way that he could.

• Love 3

Jessica Lange's character was trying to channel Marlene Dietrich, but all that make-up made her look like Mrs. Roper from Three's Company. And why was she singing a Bowie song from the 1970s when the show is set in 1952?

No, she was channelling David Bowie right down to his blue suit and blue eye shadow from his video. I have no problem mixing genres or timelines for artistic interpretation. Just this summer, I saw Shakespeare's  ‘Much Ado about Nothing’ set to Swing music. It was wonderful! 

• Love 4

Roofied?  Did I miss something, too?  I thought she was smoking opium and participated in an orgy.

I thought it was pretty obvious she was drugged, so she didn't participate willingly.  She woke up and didn't remember anything, then she saw it on film and doubted herself.

Much like a woman who has been roofied.  She was absolutely assaulted and it was really disturbing to watch. More than the scary clown.

• Love 5