Type keyword(s) to search

SNL: The Current Cast Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Discussion in this topic is for current cast members. Thank you!

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, vb68 said:

Not sure if that was directed to me or not, but I wouldn't say so.  I know he gets a lot of love on social media, but compared to Pete or Kate?  He's getting more time on the show but again not at the expense of the power trio of Kate, Aidy, and Cecily. Chris Redd's exposure on the show has also increased a lot.

Bowen reminds me of Chloe in that I feel like there have been periods when she gets far more focus in the media than she has in the show itself. Bowen was not getting a lot to do for the first half or more of the season before starting to get more focus in the last few months. 

• Love 1

Not sure where to put this, but Andrew Dismukes put on social media that he has tested positive for COVID. So he will presumably miss this week and maybe next week as well. Not sure if this will affect the show, similar to the December shutdown. I saw that they tweeted a photo of the readthrough earlier today.

• Love 2
On 5/24/2021 at 4:49 PM, ChicksDigScars said:

As far as Cecily's status, did anyone else feel that her WU segment and Drunken Judge Janinne (always hilarious, but she did less SPITTING of her wine on Jost, instead FLINGING it all over him...COVID, you know), that it might have been a good bye? She sang My Way. Sure sounded like a good note to go out on.

In fact, Aidy, Kate, Cecily and Keenan together in the cold open, seemed a little nostalgic. They got the biggest cheer from the audience and were the most emotional about reminiscing. All I could think is that I sure hope that they don't all leave at once.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/pete-davidson-kate-mckinnon-cecily-strong-aidy-bryant-kenan-thompson-saturday-night-live-exit-speculation-colin-jost-season-46-finale-1234762519/

Chloe and Heidi playing the Olsen twins on the Hollywood Squares sketch was perfect, as I consider them a little too similar and interchangeable (I do prefer Fineman to Gardner, even though the producers were at one time shoving Heidi into every possible sketch that they could while Aidy and Cecily were off filming other projects). Heidi's WU ditzy teen characters make me want to stick cocktail forks in my eyeballs. 

As far as promotions from "featured cast" to "regular cast," I'd like to see Bowen Yang and Fineman get that call. 

Now Kyle Mooney could leave and I wouldn't notice, or care. He sucks the funny out of every bit he's in.

Bowen AND Chloe ARE Regular Cat Members This Season Which Is 2021-2022 ! ! 

Michael Che gave an interview out yesterday where he said he's thought a number of times over the last five years about leaving. Lorne makes some of the usual oblique Lorne  comments about "change."  I am curious to find out how many are actually going, if the exodus will be bigger than expected or if Lorne will manage to kick the can down the road one more season. I think Kyle, Pete and Melissa are gone, after that is a blur,  but I'm guessing at least one of Kate/Cecily/Aidy. I'm 50/50 on Jost and Che. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Pete Martell said:

Michael Che gave an interview out yesterday where he said he's thought a number of times over the last five years about leaving. Lorne makes some of the usual oblique Lorne  comments about "change."  I am curious to find out how many are actually going, if the exodus will be bigger than expected or if Lorne will manage to kick the can down the road one more season. I think Kyle, Pete and Melissa are gone, after that is a blur,  but I'm guessing at least one of Kate/Cecily/Aidy. I'm 50/50 on Jost and Che. 

In Colin Jost's memoir 'A very punchable face' he was talking about SNL and how it wasn't great for people with families.  I got the impression that if it hadn't been for Covid, he might have left by now.  Now that he has a young kid, I'd say he might be leaving sooner rather than later. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

To carry over from @vb68 in the media thread: 

I am hoping Che and Jost leave, because I think 8 years (8 and a half for Jost) is a run where you get all you can from the personalities behind the desk, and I don't want them to become played out. We haven't heard anything, which makes me think they probably will stay as I don't think Lorne would want to change the desk without a big goodbye, but we'll see. As for replacements, I think Punkie or Punkie and Andrew, or Alex and Ego, might be  a good pick. If they keep going to the writing room, I've seen some fans talk about Rosebud Baker.

As for other potential departures:

- Cecily has said with regard to leaving that she would like to go quietly. As she had a goodbye last season, I do wonder if Lorne asked her to not talk about her departure until the summer (Andy Samberg said recently Lorne asked him to keep quiet about his departure). I could go either way as of the three ladies Cecily was the one who felt most integrated into the cast, so maybe she does plan to stay. 

- Melissa vented a bit on social media this season (nowhere near as much as she did last season). She has had two pieces get on in the last four episodes of the season, which is a lot more than she had last year - they were also two pieces that were very personal to her. I'm torn between thinking she told them she was going and they let her have these as a thank you/goodbye, or that she isn't leaving.

- Aristotle...we've talk about that one quite a bit already. 

- Punkie. I think she's done enough this season to come back, and the last person to be featured for two seasons and not join the main cast was Dean Edwards 20 years ago, I suppose it depends on whether NBC wants a big budget cull, as I imagine Punkie, along with Melissa, Aristotle, and probably Alex, would be on that list. 

• Love 2
On 5/19/2022 at 11:57 AM, Pete Martell said:

Oh no.

Sherman teases what she hopes one day makes it to air: experimental body horror, “big, gross blood spray and vomiting” sketches that she’s figuring out how to nail for the live show. 

I don't think she's ever going to get that type of piece through. For one of the first episodes this season she had a bloody surgery sketch which supposedly got a bad dress rehearsal response and didn't even finish.

• Useful 1
(edited)

They've already done a bloody sketch that I can't see them topping.   I hate bodily fluid skits too but this was perfect.   However,  it wasn't live; it was recorded.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
(edited)

I cannot stand that Sarah Sherman. Notice, all she ever does in any sketch, is emphatically SCREAM HER LINES IN THE SAME VOICE. 

She has no range of comedic skills or acting.

Edited by Bossa Nova
  • Love 7
(edited)

Well of course it's nepotism.  But Herlihy and Higgins are such big legends on the show that it seems like a no brainer.  Remember Abby Elliott?  And I don't know if Chris was ever considered a "legend".  lol.

If someone's terrible on the show, it will become obvious quickly.  PDD are not falling into that category, thankfully.

My favourite sketch this season off the top of my head was that Oscar Isaac HR sketch, and you said that they wrote it.  Pretty amazing!

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 1
On 4/18/2022 at 3:25 AM, Pete Martell said:

Bowen reminds me of Chloe in that I feel like there have been periods when she gets far more focus in the media than she has in the show itself. Bowen was not getting a lot to do for the first half or more of the season before starting to get more focus in the last few months. 

I AM Not Sure Where To Put This, But, Kenan's Show Has Been Cancelled So I Presume That Kenan And Chris Redd Will Come Back Next Season ! ! What I Mean Is I Presume That Kenan And Chris Redd Will Come Back On Saturday Night Live In September 1922 ! ! 

• Useful 1
8 hours ago, Jody said:

I AM Not Sure Where To Put This, But, Kenan's Show Has Been Cancelled So I Presume That Kenan And Chris Redd Will Come Back Next Season ! ! What I Mean Is I Presume That Kenan And Chris Redd Will Come Back On Saturday Night Live In September 1922 ! ! 

i sure hope so

I was just wondering if we know if the Please Don't Destroy guys are returning?

They weren't in the Premiere, and I haven't heard a thing about them.

Edited by vb68
15 hours ago, vb68 said:

I was just wondering if we know if the Please Don't Destroy guys are returning?

They w2eren't in the Premiere, and I haven't heard a thing about them.

I read elsewhere that they wrote one or more of the sketches in the premier.  Hopefully someone with more details will reply.

A few recent James Austin Johnson podcast interviews.

http://www.wtfpod.com/podcast/episode-1392-james-austin-johnson

https://expandingdan.substack.com/p/james-austin-johnson-interview-steely-dan

Sarah Sherman Vulture interview.

https://www.vulture.com/article/sarah-sherman-snl-profile.html

Sarah on Today:

Bowen Yang on Seth's show (there are two videos).

Kenan on Seth (also two videos):

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Like 2

I have been getting along all right recognizing Please Don't Destroy as a collective. The boys look different from each other (Small, Red Hair, Glasses) so I am not normally confused about which one is which as far as appearances go (although in the promo where they each dressed as Wednesday I could not differentiate between Red Hair and Glasses). However sometimes people on the internet will refer to one of them by name and I have no idea which one they mean. How do I associate each one with the correct name?

3 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I have been getting along all right recognizing Please Don't Destroy as a collective. The boys look different from each other (Small, Red Hair, Glasses) so I am not normally confused about which one is which as far as appearances go (although in the promo where they each dressed as Wednesday I could not differentiate between Red Hair and Glasses). However sometimes people on the internet will refer to one of them by name and I have no idea which one they mean. How do I associate each one with the correct name?

The One With The Dark Hair Is Steve Higgins Son !  Steve Higgins Is The Announcer On The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon ! Steve Higgins Is A Producer/ Writer On Saturday Night Live ! ! I Think The Red Hair That Mostly 

Does The Most Things Is Ben Martin ! I May Not Have The Name Right, But, I DO Have The Correct Person In These Sketches ! The Other Red Hair That Doesn't Do Too Much Is Tim Herlihy's Son ! Tim Herlihy Writes Most OF Adam Sandler's Sketches ! 

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, Jody said:

I Think The Red Hair That Mostly 

Does The Most Things Is Ben Martin ! I May Not Have The Name Right, But, I DO Have The Correct Person In These Sketches ! The Other Red Hair That Doesn't Do Too Much Is Tim Herlihy's Son !

I thought that one of them was called Martin Herlihy. Does another have Martin as a surname? That is going to be confusing.

Does Glasses [Herlihy?] also have red hair? I know his hair is lighter than the dark-haired small one [Higgins] but it's not as red as Red Hair [Martin?].

8 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I thought that one of them was called Martin Herlihy. Does another have Martin as a surname? That is going to be confusing.

Does Glasses [Herlihy?] also have red hair? I know his hair is lighter than the dark-haired small one [Higgins] but it's not as red as Red Hair [Martin?].

Okay, I Looked That Up And That Is Ben Marshall, John Higgins Is The Dark Hair And You Are Right That IT Is Martin Herlihy ! ! ! I Am Sorry About That ! I Do Think There Are Two Red Heads Though ! ! 

Looks like the WU guests spend more time with Colin than Michael if their screen time is that different.

I also expect JAJ's time to spike next season as the presidential election cycle really kicks into gear.  Makes me wonder who's going to portray DeSantis.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, baldryanr said:

Makes me wonder who's going to portray DeSantis.

Based on looks, I'd say either Andrew or even Marcello. I think the show would go with Andrew. He's been getting more varied things to do than early on.