Type keyword(s) to search

SNL: The Current Cast Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Discussion in this topic is for current cast members. Thank you!

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, helenamonster said:

Perhaps she does have people advocating for her behind the scenes, but that advocating only seems to go so far. And she really does have to be careful about social media (I see she's learned nothing from her awful tweets she had to delete when she got hired). The next project she works on may not be as forgiving of negative comments. I'm not saying she can't blow off steam--everybody complains about work--but blasting your employer on the gram is a no no in any industry.

I didn't even know about these and I'm reading them for the first time now.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Avabelle said:

One question I have though - is Colin Jost always breaking character during the weekend update? Or maybe breaking character is the wrong phrase.. does the host always laugh through the segment? I don’t think Che is as bad. It doesn’t bother me, in fact I think it’s endearing but I thought they’d want him to be more serious.

I know when the show first started, the WU anchors were in character -- think Chevy Chase, Jane Curtain... -- but I don't think of the anchors as "in character" now. I like it when Colin apparently sincerely reacts to a joke. As for Michael Che, he bothers me more. He always comes off as too-cool-for-school. 

You make me wonder, though, if it was a deliberate decision to have the WU anchors be more casual and react to humor rather than be the stereotypical serious news anchor.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Avabelle said:

I’ve only seen two episodes so I haven’t seen Jost do anything but the WU but in his other sketches does he break as much?

He (and Che) are almost never in other sketches.  He was the show's Pete Buttigieg but that was his only regular gig outside of WU.  I don't remember him breaking but he never got more than a few lines.

• Love 3
(edited)

As far as Cecily's status, did anyone else feel that her WU segment and Drunken Judge Janinne (always hilarious, but she did less SPITTING of her wine on Jost, instead FLINGING it all over him...COVID, you know), that it might have been a good bye? She sang My Way. Sure sounded like a good note to go out on.

In fact, Aidy, Kate, Cecily and Keenan together in the cold open, seemed a little nostalgic. They got the biggest cheer from the audience and were the most emotional about reminiscing. All I could think is that I sure hope that they don't all leave at once.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/pete-davidson-kate-mckinnon-cecily-strong-aidy-bryant-kenan-thompson-saturday-night-live-exit-speculation-colin-jost-season-46-finale-1234762519/

Chloe and Heidi playing the Olsen twins on the Hollywood Squares sketch was perfect, as I consider them a little too similar and interchangeable (I do prefer Fineman to Gardner, even though the producers were at one time shoving Heidi into every possible sketch that they could while Aidy and Cecily were off filming other projects). Heidi's WU ditzy teen characters make me want to stick cocktail forks in my eyeballs. 

As far as promotions from "featured cast" to "regular cast," I'd like to see Bowen Yang and Fineman get that call. 

Now Kyle Mooney could leave and I wouldn't notice, or care. He sucks the funny out of every bit he's in.

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

As far as Cecily's status, did anyone else feel that her WU segment and Drunken Judge Janinne (always hilarious, but she did less SPITTING of her wine on Jost, instead FLINGING it all over him...COVID, you know), that it might have been a good bye? She sang My Way. Sure sounded like a good note to go out on.

In fact, Aidy, Kate, Cecily and Keenan together in the cold open, seemed a little nostalgic. They got the biggest cheer from the audience and were the most emotional about reminiscing. All I could think is that I sure hope that they don't all leave at once.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/pete-davidson-kate-mckinnon-cecily-strong-aidy-bryant-kenan-thompson-saturday-night-live-exit-speculation-colin-jost-season-46-finale-1234762519/

Chloe and Heidi playing the Olsen twins on the Hollywood Squares sketch was perfect, as I consider them a little too similar and interchangeable (I do prefer Fineman to Gardner, even though the producers were at one time shoving Heidi into every possible sketch that they could while Aidy and Cecily were off filming other projects). Heidi's WU ditzy teen characters make me want to stick cocktail forks in my eyeballs. 

As far as promotions from "featured cast" to "regular cast," I'd like to see Bowen Yang and Fineman get that call. 

Now Kyle Mooney could leave and I wouldn't notice, or care. He sucks the funny out of every bit he's in.

Do You Think Beck Is Going To Leave Saturday Night Live ? I LOVE Beck And I REALLY Wish He Would Stay On Saturday Night Live ! I LIKE Cecily Also And I Wish She Would Stay On Saturday Night Live, But I Think She Wants To Leave And She DOES Seem To Be Getting Other Things To Do Like Maybe Movies !

2 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

I’m only a few episodes in but Beck and Andrew Moffat could legitimately be the same person for all I know. I can never tell them apart. 

I can identify Beck, but I can't tell Mikey Day and Alex Moffat apart, even with people having given me hints. I've really tried! I have studied the credits and taken notes, and then I look at them and it's still a mystery.

• Love 1
(edited)
29 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I can identify Beck, but I can't tell Mikey Day and Alex Moffat apart, even with people having given me hints. I've really tried! I have studied the credits and taken notes, and then I look at them and it's still a mystery.

I can usually tell them apart, but I couldn't remember their names before you mentioned them. This has been an era with extremely strong women in the cast (the best female cast since the 70s, I think - Kate, Cecily, Aidy, and Leslie Jones, in particular; also Vanessa Bayer & now Ego Nwodim & probably Chloe Fineman; and no weak links among the women, just a few who don't stand out to me quite as much and end up filling standard SNL roles rather than jumping out as individuals). (Some of this is just taste - I hated the Kristin Wiig era, and whoever gets slotted into trying to recreate that energy is somebody I'm not going to get excited about.)

(There are other women over the years I've really liked - Tina Fey & Amy Poehler, for example - but never such a great ensemble all together.)

The men, though, aside from Kenan & the particularly strong WU update of Colin Jost & Michael Che, have mostly been pretty forgettable lately - again, fine, but mostly just filling standard SNL roles. Bowen Yang is the first in a while that I've really gotten excited about (He & Ego are the ones who will keep me watching when the old guard moves on). I even forgot about Pete, who is distinctive, and I like him just fine, but I wouldn't really notice if any of them weren't there - someone else could step right in. Aside from the Trump Boys, and Vladimir Putin, and the stuff Pete filmed from home, I'm hard pressed to remember what any of them do. 

Edited by akr
20 minutes ago, akr said:

The men, though, aside from Kenan & the particularly strong WU update of Colin Jost & Michael Che, have mostly been pretty forgettable lately - again, fine, but mostly just filling standard SNL roles. Bowen Yang is the first in a while that I've really gotten excited about (He & Ego are the ones who will keep me watching when the old guard moves on). I even forgot about Pete, who is distinctive, and I like him just fine, but I wouldn't really notice if any of them weren't there - someone else could step right in. Aside from the Trump Boys, and Vladimir Putin, and the stuff Pete filmed from home, I'm hard pressed to remember what any of them do. 

I don't always love Kyle, but I have frequently really liked the pretapes where he plays himself. And I think Chris Redd is very good at presenting a character. I know the difference between Mikey and Alex but I don't need anything more from either of them. I'd like to see at least 4 of  Kyle, Beck, Mikey, Alex, Che, Jost, and Pete leave, but they would need 2 more strong newbies coming up IMO.

I'm ready for some turnover with the women as well. They need someone strong to replace Cecily (no pun intended).  I would be disappointed to see any of Ego, Punkie, or Lauren go now but the rest have either been around for a while, or I don't really feel excited about and they have been around long enough to have their chance.

15 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

And I think Chris Redd is very good at presenting a character.

You're right, he's good, too. I tend to forget about him, perhaps because he's never irritating, unlike a lot of the other guys, but he's a solid role player and it would leave a pretty big hole if he left.

15 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I'm ready for some turnover with the women as well.  . . . I would be disappointed to see any of Ego, Punkie, or Lauren go now but the rest have either been around for a while, or I don't really feel excited about and they have been around long enough to have their chance.

Yes, I definitely want to see more of Punkie & Lauren as well as Ego. I'm just starting to get a feel for them & what they have to offer is still fresh.  

• Love 1
11 hours ago, akr said:

I can usually tell them apart, but I couldn't remember their names before you mentioned them. This has been an era with extremely strong women in the cast (the best female cast since the 70s, I think - Kate, Cecily, Aidy, and Leslie Jones, in particular; also Vanessa Bayer & now Ego Nwodim & probably Chloe Fineman; and no weak links among the women, just a few who don't stand out to me quite as much and end up filling standard SNL roles rather than jumping out as individuals). (Some of this is just taste - I hated the Kristin Wiig era, and whoever gets slotted into trying to recreate that energy is somebody I'm not going to get excited about.)

(There are other women over the years I've really liked - Tina Fey & Amy Poehler, for example - but never such a great ensemble all together.)

I Love Beck And I Like Mikey Day ! ! What About Ana, Molly Shannon And Cheri OTeri? Also I Like Jan Hooks ! I Also Like Amy And I Like Maya Rudolph ! !

On 5/24/2021 at 8:10 AM, peeayebee said:

I know when the show first started, the WU anchors were in character -- think Chevy Chase, Jane Curtain... -- but I don't think of the anchors as "in character" now. I like it when Colin apparently sincerely reacts to a joke. As for Michael Che, he bothers me more. He always comes off as too-cool-for-school. 

You make me wonder, though, if it was a deliberate decision to have the WU anchors be more casual and react to humor rather than be the stereotypical serious news anchor.

During the '70s and early '80s, there was a mix of aping real news anchors and parodying the idea of what news anchors aren't meant to do - Chevy's dirty phone calls with his girlfriend, Jane's desperate crush on Walter Cronkite, Mary Gross and Brian Doyle Murray having a love affair. 

From the early/mid '80s to the early '00s, you had various anchors (from Brad Hall to Colin Quinn) who were a mix of wiseass and serious news reader.

The big change starts with Jimmy Fallon and Tina Fey, as there's much less emphasis on any pretense of serious news. Jimmy tries, and he actually becomes a pretty decent anchor, but he was put in the role mainly because he was the young heartthrob of that era, Tina was in some ways similar to old anchors like Jane (playing at real news) or Norm (being sarcastic), but she combined the two in being much more forthright about her political opinions, similar to Che and Jost now. She and Jimmy also brought back the silliness of early '80s co-anchors, complete with storylines about having a baby together, etc. 

When Amy replaces Jimmy, the balance shifts further toward trying to be liked by the audience - Amy is very 'cute,' and giggly, and she and Tina have little songs and such. When Seth joins Amy, he is more serious, balancing her out, and she gradually becomes more serious as well. 

When Seth is solo, he mostly leaves behind his earlier serious personality, aside from the occasional editorial, and much of Update is turned over to 2-3 long correspondent pieces a night, which you can often hear Seth giggling through. This is probably best shown through Stefon, since for many years an Update anchor would tolerate or be outright hostile toward a correspondent, rather than falling in love with them and marrying them. 

Cecily, in her short tenure, was a mix of goofy and "fun" and serious.

When Colin first joined, he was very earnest, and was trashed for that by some fans - from then on, he seems to have shifted Update more toward having fun with how people see him, poking fun at his relationship with Scarjo, etc. with Che happy to play into that. Then sometimes he gives serious editorials. Che tends to focus more on trolling viewers, or Colin. I think this has led to a good balance, but I'm not sure how much longer the combination can work - that they've gone on for 7 years still surprises me sometimes. 

On 5/25/2021 at 1:46 PM, possibilities said:

Even the show joked about this last season. I guess part of the reason is because they were a double act early on (especially as the Trump sons), but in the last few years, Alex has usually just had supporting roles (outside of the occasional Update feature) while Mikey has been a reliable presence - he's the one who frequently appears on Update with Heidi, he has the "reacts" type sketches where he comments on something crazy or shocking, he has the War in Words sketches when British women host, the "funny name" news sketches where he usually plays the reporter, etc, 

In skillsets I think Beck and Alex have much more in common - they both do impressions, physical comedy, can sing, etc. but Beck tends to dominate. 

I think Alex, like Melissa, suffers from not writing much for himself or not being able to get the show to put his ideas on. It's a shame because on paper I feel like Alex could be a wonderful part of the show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I want Ego and Punkie to leave this show and go over to A Black Lady Sketch Show where they can shine. 

They are both talented, and deserve opportunities to be featured more and play a variety of fully fleshed characters in well-written skits with beautiful production values. 

• Love 2

I'd imagine it has to do with Che's disgusting tweets about Simone Biles.  Che really is garbage.  I didn't really want to believe that, but it's the truth. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 10
(edited)
12 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I'd imagine it has to do with Che's disgusting tweets about Simone Biles.  Che really is garbage.  I didn't really want to believe that, but it's the truth. 

I'm off to look for what he said about Biles, but if it was disrespectful then I already know he's dead to me.

ETA: Oh my God. It's worse than I could ever have imagined

https://news.yahoo.com/michael-che-under-fire-sharing-133520814.html

Edited by possibilities
  • Love 6
On 7/31/2021 at 12:41 PM, helenamonster said:

Really hope he's gone this season. Can't stand him personally and he's also just not funny. 

My problem is not that he's not funny. He can be very funny at times and even brilliant. My problem is that he's immature and confuses laziness and nihilism with coolness. Which was fine when he was starting out and was hired for his potential and raw talent. It is not OK for a head writer and veteran performer who is more than old enough to have moved past that stage in his career. If you are too cool to care about anything other than getting laid and some forms of racism leave and let somebody else have a shot. Go off and do your wildly inconsistent sketch show and stand up and let somebody else have their shot. You can still write a couple of brilliant sketches every year if you want. Maybe even a guest appearance. And you won't have to bothered to show up when you aren't inspired. I'm sure somebody else will be happy to do the job all those weeks you have no interest in doing it.

• Love 11
19 hours ago, wknt3 said:

My problem is that he's immature and confuses laziness and nihilism with coolness.

This has always been my issue with him. He thinks he’s too cool for school and it affects his performance and any skit he does on WU. The only time I ever enjoy him is when he and Jost write each other’s jokes as a sketch.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, Avabelle said:

The only time I ever enjoy him is when he and Jost write each other’s jokes

Are you enjoying Che reading jokes written by Colin, or jokes read by Colin written by Che? I don't really like the segment myself (it's the reverse of Seth Meyers' Jokes Seth Can't Tell which gives other writers an opportunity to appear) and I don't remember what the joke on Che is, just the part where Colin gets to pretend he's being forced to appear racist. 

• Love 2

So apparently Lorne is asking all the veteran cast members to make quite a commitment. Stay until the end of the 50th season. (We are about to start the 47th, I think.) Speculation is that Lorne will retire after the 50th season, and who knows what happens to the show at that point. 

Edited by vb68
  • Useful 1

I'm not sure why he'd want to do that.  I know everyone talks about what a loss it'll be when some of the superstars leave but every time that happens, someone who is toiling around in the company eventually starts to pop until they become the irreplaceable ones. 

But this might explain why we've seen such flexibility with people like Aidy, Cecily and Keenan to go off and do other things and come back when they aren't booked for anything else even if those outside projects film at the same time as SNL. 

I don't remember that happening in the past.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

Are you enjoying Che reading jokes written by Colin, or jokes read by Colin written by Che? I don't really like the segment myself (it's the reverse of Seth Meyers' Jokes Seth Can't Tell which gives other writers an opportunity to appear) and I don't remember what the joke on Che is, just the part where Colin gets to pretend he's being forced to appear racist. 

I like both sides of that sketch. It just makes me laugh. Nothing else Che does on WU holds my interest though. He could disappear from it and I wouldn’t notice. 

• Love 1

I wish he was grooming a replacement for himself, since he'll be around 80 years old at that point. I don't think the problems the show has had have really ever been about a lack of talented performers. I think that there is no lack of available people who could be hired for a fantastic cast. But the writing and management is what has been the problem from time to time, and it's what will make or break the show going forward; Lorne's ego should not convince NBC that when he retires their most successful show should die.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Lorne's ego should not convince NBC that when he retires their most successful show should die.

I truly do not think Lorne will want the show to die if he leaves. I just think he wants to hand pick his successor.

I do not think, however, that he wants the cast to stay on so one of them can be his successor.  His successor is likely going to be someone who wrote or did production for the show. (I mean, I guess that could be Jost but I somehow doubt it.)

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, vb68 said:

So apparently Lorne is asking all the veteran cast members to make quite a commitment. Stay until the end of the 50th season. (We are about to start the 47th, I think.) Speculation is that Lorne will retire after the 50th season, and who knows what happens to the show at that point. 

That is a lot to ask of people, and if they agree I hope they're being compensated accordingly. Even if allowances are made for other projects, people are inevitably going to have to turn better-paying jobs down. Especially with the delta variant and rolling lockdowns looming on the horizon, anything shooting outside of the tristate area (and definitely out of the country) could be a no-go.

Are they going to put a freeze on hiring new cast members while they do this as well, or are the opening credits going to be 10 minutes long by 2024?

Also found this line funny for some reason:

That deal has for several years driven speculation that Michaels, who is believed to be turning 77 in the fall

Is Lorne's age not verifiable?

• Love 3
1 hour ago, possibilities said:

I wish he was grooming a replacement for himself, since he'll be around 80 years old at that point.

There's been rumors on and off for years that Tina is the handpicked successor. Who knows though.

I don't think he will want the show to end, either. And I'm sure the network won't.

• Love 2

Here's a followup article about Lorne and the cast. The only new thing that really stood out for me is that Melissa is listed with some of the other people like Bowen and Chloe that they are really high on. I've never gotten that impression at all.

Also, Colin and his brother will write the next Ninja Turtles movie.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 4
On 8/3/2021 at 12:58 PM, vb68 said:

Here's a followup article about Lorne and the cast. The only new thing that really stood out for me is that Melissa is listed with some of the other people like Bowen and Chloe that they are really high on. I've never gotten that impression at all.

Also, Colin and his brother will write the next Ninja Turtles movie.

I have sometimes wondered if various people at the show do like Melissa, as they keep her around in spite of her being so infrequently used, but that article felt like drawing cast member names out of a hat to  me. 

Speaking of  Melissa, apparently she said on her podcast that she is coming back. I do think she has a great deal of talent, talent  that can be very effective when she and the writing are on the same page, but I just hope she scales back on social media, because last season was a vicious cycle of her venting on there, further upsetting her fans who were already unhappy over her lack of airtime, then having to delete or walk back her comments. She has chosen to go back to the show even when being so unhappy last season - it's time for her to accept that possibility and just find some positive aspects somewhere within that role. 

As for Lorne's decision, I imagine many of the cast will be hesitant to leave anyway due to the pandemic, but I do hope some will still leave, and I certainly hope they won't stay on until season 50. Even if  Lorne wants to work with a cast he knows and likes, three more seasons of so many of the same people is going to be suffocating to even the most loyal  fans. It's also unfair to future cast if NBC chooses to keep the show on after Lorne retires, because there's no way they can easily win over people after a mass cast, writing, and production exodus. It would be season 6 all over again. It's time for NBC to step in and transition Lorne's role if these are his last years as producer.

• Love 7

I saw on the main page here that Colin Jost is about to become a father.  Good luck to him and his wife. 

ETA:  according to CNN, they had a boy, and would appreciate privacy.  (Oops, but good luck.)

Edited by marketdoctor
Updated news.
  • Love 1

Those cast negotiations really must be going down to the wire for us to hear nothing two weeks out.

I'd say at this point either most all of them are back or a big cluster leave. I don't  think there's much middle ground.

Edited by vb68
21 minutes ago, JZL said:

The Kim and Pete mini-saga continues.  They're not saying one way or the other.  It may just be a publicity stunt.

If it isn't, then what the heck is it with Pete?  He must be well above average romantically.  Women are attracted to humor, but come on, is Pete Davidson that funny?  Is he Kim Kardashian Funny?

When this stuff started, with Ariana, I initially didn't believe it was  PR - and to be honest I still don't think that one was (or if it was it got out of control) - but after the last few years, it's pretty tough for me to  not just see these relationships as one long PR exercise.

• Love 3

James Austin Johnson's Trump voice is extremely good and I was blown away by it when I saw his pre-SNL bits. In those bits he did not do anything to make himself look like Trump, he was just a guy in a baseball cap mimicking the voice and the cadence and rambling discourse. On SNL they have made him look kind of sort of like Trump, but it has the effect of somehow making it less impressive. I was under the impression that when Trump makes impromptu calls to Fox shows to talk they typically only use audio, they don't interview him on video. I don't know whether doing it without the visual Trump would improve it in any way.

I don't really need or want much Trump on SNL, but if they are going to make use of JAJ's skill it should be done effectively.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

JAJ and his wife had a baby boy, Homer (named after his grandfather, apparently, as some kept joking he was named after Homer Simpson).

Aidy on Seth's show (there are two clips). She talks some about backstage the week of the Christmas show:

Kyle:

Sarah talks about Jackass:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/straightiolab/id1503599999

Bowen is on Conan's podcast:

Edited by Pete Martell
On 5/24/2021 at 5:49 PM, ChicksDigScars said:

Every. Damn. Thing. gets a thumbs up from me in this post. Well said, Chicksdigscars!

Not sure if that was directed to me or not, but I wouldn't say so.  I know he gets a lot of love on social media, but compared to Pete or Kate?  He's getting more time on the show but again not at the expense of the power trio of Kate, Aidy, and Cecily. Chris Redd's exposure on the show has also increased a lot.

• Love 1