Type keyword(s) to search

SNL: The Current Cast Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

Discussion in this topic is for current cast members. Thank you!

• Start Topic

Not at all surprised. Or sad, tbh. Yeah, it sucks to lose your job, but I didn't think he really contributed much as a cast member (he might have hand a bigger hand in writing, which is a whole other story).

Guess the Cast Member Hunger Games has begun. *canon sounds in the distance*

I thought he had two funny moments all  year--one, the Jim Parsons show where they were cowboys, and two, an online-only sketch where he and Kenan (I think it was) were hosts of a radio show about BBQ. That's it. Milhiser had even fewer moments than that.

Whelp, I feel exactly how I thought I would. I knew the cast needed to be smaller, but didn't want to see anyone lose their job since for the young guys it's their pinnacle thus far. On the plus side, it seems there is life after SNL for the prematurely departed.

Brooks best skit of the year for me was the 12 Years a Slave auditions, which I believe he wrote as well. I enjoyed listening to his riffs on Weekend Update, and he could fill that "Tall Handsome Guy" role if Taran was already holding down a starring role in a sketch.

All the best, Brooks.

• Love 1

Sorry that Brooks lost his job, but with the cast blot they need to get rid of at least 4 cast members. I'd say ditch all 4 of the white guys they hired last season as they are all bland as hell and not funny.

(edited)

Goodbye John Milhiser and Noel Wells.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/07/saturday-night-live-noel-wells-john-milhiser-leaving/

These firings are different for me because I follow all of them on social media, and I've gotten to know them in a different way.

In previous years, I didn't give a damn about the firings of Paul Brittain, Jenny Slate, Jeff Richards, etc.

But the new cast members' heavy social media presence* gave me a different look at them.

(*The reasons I didn't remember Beck Bennett this season was because he rarely used social media, so oddly he never left an impression on me.)

But....I'm glad tha a lot of people are going because, unlike some of you, I want new cast members this season. And this will increase the possiblity of new additions. I think there should be new additions every year.

Edited by nowandlater

These firings are different for me because I follow all of them on social media, and I've gotten to know them in a different way.

In previous years, I didn't give a damn about the firings of Paul Brittain, Jenny Slate, Jeff Richards, etc.

But the new cast members' heavy social media presence* gave me a different look at them.

(*The reasons I didn't remember Beck Bennett this season was because he rarely used social media, so oddly he never left an impression on me.)

That's interesting. I would think they're presence on the show would be what leaves the highest impression, as opposed to what they do (or don't) say on twitter. I'll admit, I find it a little refreshing that Beck Bennett doesn't have twitter - it's rare now, especially with the increasing use of social media (and especially considering his Good Neighbor shorts), but it's almost as if he wants to let his work on the show and the shorts speak for itself, as opposed to testing out jokes on twitter. I can respect that, and I think he was the best addition to the cast in the past season.

Not surprised about John Milsner, but I am a bit surprised about Noel, considering there aren't that many women on the show, but maybe they're planning on hiring more. But Kyle Mooney owes Beck Bennett one hell of a thank you, because without those Good Neighbor shorts, Kyle would be out the door with the Brooks, John, and Noel.

• Love 2

I thought Milhiser had a lot of potential but he just didn't have the airtime. I enjoyed the sketch he did with Lady Gaga with the talent show. I was hoping they'd keep him around and he's blossom in Year 2 kind of like what happened with Aidy Bryant. But alas, that isn't to be. 

Noel Wells had a strong beginning but then promptly faded. She wasn't bad but she wasn't that great either. 

Brooks? I don't remember much of him. I remembered he sounded (as in his speaking voice) like Norm MacDonald and had a couple of Weekend Update spots but other than that, nothing.

I kind of feel bad for Nasim Pedrad. She got no sendoff whatsoever and she spent a solid 5 season on the show. I also feel bad because she entered during the years of The Kristen Wiig Show as I call it. None of the other female cast members really got any chance to shine or even let their presence be known. Sure, maybe a sketch here and there, but that was it. I think the only ones who actually stuck were her and somewhat Abby Elliott. Everybody else ended up unceremoniously dumped after a season. I found Nasim so underused. I hope her show with John Mulaney ends up taking off and being successful. 

• Love 3

That's interesting. I would think they're presence on the show would be what leaves the highest impression, as opposed to what they do (or don't) say on twitter. I'll admit, I find it a little refreshing that Beck Bennett doesn't have twitter - it's rare now, especially with the increasing use of social media (and especially considering his Good Neighbor shorts), but it's almost as if he wants to let his work on the show and the shorts speak for itself, as opposed to testing out jokes on twitter. I can respect that, and I think he was the best addition to the cast in the past season.

No, they were just a bunch of indistinguishable white guys that took a while to figure out who was who. And because they hid behind characters, it was hard to distinguish them...But Seth Meyers would repeatedly tweet out their Twitter handles, which is how I figured out who Brooks Wheelan was.

Beck Bennett is on Twitter (https://twitter.com/becbenit), but I counted only 14 tweets this year, and that's basically like not tweeting.

Kyle Mooney tweets just as often, but he is of course the most distinguishable of the white guy newbies.

You know, I think Brooks, John and Noel could have a pretty good little sketch troupe of their own. Between Noel's hipster vibe; Brooks' Bro-ness; and John's dorky fun style, they have a lot that plays well off one another.

• Love 1

Not really surprised by any of this. Brooks, John, and Noel were probably the least used of the featured players (don't have one of those handy dandy in-depth charts someone made atm to know for sure) and were barely in the season's last few episodes. While I found Brooks in his few moments in the spotlight to be dull as dishwater, I thought both John and Noel had potential. John absolutely shined in the talent show sketch with Lady Gaga, and Noel had a strong start with the Girls parody. But in an overcrowded season, the three of them were just not able to find their niche.

It sucks when anyone loses their job, but I'm not going to pretend I'm too upset by any of this. You don't go into comedy, or show business in general, for the job stability. It's about taking risks. And at least the three of them can still put "SNL cast member" on their resume. At the end of the day, they weren't being used, and it wouldn't make sense to keep paying them to sit around and twiddle their thumbs for another season.

Still not over Nasim leaving. At least it was her choice. It just sucks that the show has to lose one of its more talented, reliable cast members (and a WoC to boot) during a time when they could really use some dependability.

I don't think social media really plays too much into how cast members are received on this show. Kate has a minimal social media presence (I don't think she tweets or does Instagram) and she's pretty much the stand-out right now.

So with Brooks, Noel, John, and Nasim gone, we're down to 13. That's a much more workable number, imo. Still thinking they should forgo newbies for a year. Work with what you've got.

• Love 2
(edited)

I don't think social media really plays too much into how cast members are received on this show. Kate has a minimal social media presence (I don't think she tweets or does Instagram) and she's pretty much the stand-out right now.

I completely agree.  And that's a really good point about Kate.  It's  good for them personally that the newer, younger cast  are on twitter, but I don't see the connection in trying to get sketches on to the show.  That's the big thing.  And I do think Beck stood out from the other new white guys.  He started getting used in supporting parts, and it went from there.  I thought it was quite obvious that they liked him and found him useful.  They have to find their niche, and I think he started getting the type of parts Jason Sudeikis would have played.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

Brooks and Noelle didn't make too big an impression me, but I thought John Milheiser had potential. He seemed like he could be another Chris Parnell. Maybe he'll get rehired like Chris Parnell did.

• Love 1
(edited)

Here's a link to The Not Ready For Primetime Podcast discussing the cast departures.  I think it's a lot of fun listening to even if there's not a lot that we all don't already know.  I kinda love the suggestion of Cecily and Mike O'Brien doing Update like Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham at the height of Rumors where they are giving each other the stink eye the whole time.  They do get goofy on the podcast, especially towards the end.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 2

I keep reading in various outlets that recommend Mike O'Brien replace Colin Jost on the Update desk.

Is that a good idea?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I think it should've been Beck Bennett on the desk.  But, since no one consults me about these decisions, for what we have, I do think Colin Jost is a better choice than Mike O'Brien; I don't think Mike O'Brien has the right stage presence.  Everyone's WU starts out a little rough, and I think Colin was getting the hang of it by the end of the season.  

They'd never do it, but in my dreams, they'd boot Ciecly from the desk and have it be Jost/Bennett for WU.   

• Love 2
(edited)

I agree that Beck Bennett would have been a great choice.  He just seems like he has the demeanor of an anchor.

I really think the Mike O'Brien thing is a non-starter.  For one thing, apparently he and Cecily were dating last year but have since split.  Hence the joke I repeated above about Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham.  But goodness that would probably be awkward for everyone involved.

Furthermore though, while he did OK in taped pieces, I still think O'Brien proved to be a dud as far as live sketches went.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

With all these cast changes, I'm surprised Kenan is still around. I think the only cast member ever who has been there longer than him (I mean in number of years), is Darrell Hammond.

With all these cast changes, I'm surprised Kenan is still around. I think the only cast member ever who has been there longer than him (I mean in number of years), is Darrell Hammond.

Kenan is currently tied for 4th with Fred Armisen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturday_Night_Live_cast_members#Notable_tenures

He'll need 1 1/2 more seasons to tie Seth and 3 seasons to tie Hammond.

I've written about this before, but the reason Kenan is still around is:

1) he realizes he has nowhere else to go... no sitcom, no film career, no nothing. This is the best it's going to ever get. He's not going to front a "What Up With That" variety show. That's why Seth stayed so long. And perhaps that's why Fred was around a long time, too -- until he discovered his Portlandia mojo. Yet he's still close to the Lorne fold with Late Night and Portlandia.

2) Lorne loves him...a few years back, Howard Stern had a 20-hour "SNL on Stern" radio documentary featuring fresh interviews with Lorne (not conducted by Howard), and he repeatly gushed over Kenan. He absolutely adores the guy. I've also read other cast members say that Kenan is the only one who regularly makes Lorne laugh. So, I'm guessing, Kenan doesn't want to go. And Lorne doesn't want him to go.

I think they just hired too many at once, and there wasn't enough room for them all. I don't really think any of the hires lacked potential, they just lacked enough airtime to go around.

I totally agree.  I loved Brooks Wheelan, I thought he was great.  He was awesome in the '12 Years A Slave' sketch, and he was wonderful on Weekend Update.  But he was hardly ever on!  The cast is just way too big.

Colin's tough because he's head writer. There hasn't not been a head writer at the Update desk since Tina, and I think Lorne has grown comfortable with it (as Tina said in her book, a head writer at the desk guarantees that WU will get done). So if they remove him from the desk it would be awkward as hell backstage, assuming they kept him on as head writer (and unless ratings go hella south, I don't think they'll totally get rid of him). So now I think they're kind of stuck. As has been said, Seth leaving in the middle of the season was an awful idea. Maybe once the next season starts off fresh, Colin will be able to get into his groove.

I think Colin's major problem is that he's trying to be Seth, and it so totally doesn't work for him. He doesn't have that charming smarminess that Seth had perfected. He's kind of a goober, and so is Cecily. The jokes that work for them, imo, are the ones with more cutesy punchlines. Neither of them can really pull off the super-snarky, moderately-crossing-the-line, make-the-audience-go-"ooooohhhh" jokes like some of their predecessors.

I don't think I ever would have totally warmed to Brooks. Yes, "12 Years a Slave" was good, and yes, I know he wrote it, but that doesn't really translate to his performance. Like, he didn't do anything in that sketch that any of the other male cast members couldn't have done just as well. I just always felt like he was playing glorified versions of himself and it made him seem so out of place on a sketch comedy show. I don't wish him ill but I found him to be a huge snooze.

• Love 1

Colin's tough because he's head writer. There hasn't not been a head writer at the Update desk since Tina, and I think Lorne has grown comfortable with it (as Tina said in her book, a head writer at the desk guarantees that WU will get done). So if they remove him from the desk it would be awkward as hell backstage, assuming they kept him on as head writer (and unless ratings go hella south, I don't think they'll totally get rid of him). So now I think they're kind of stuck. As has been said, Seth leaving in the middle of the season was an awful idea. Maybe once the next season starts off fresh, Colin will be able to get into his groove.

Yeah, I can't imagine somebody who's been around 9 years who ascended all the way to head writer be demoted from his Weekend Update job after only 8 episodes, or 38% of the season, on the job.

wi3dkm.png

Wait, didn't Fred join the same year as Kenan?

Nope. Fred joined during Tracy Morgan's final season. Then I guess that opened the door for Kenan, who I never thought would be on the show for over a decade. Amazing how it's typical for several to spend 10 years, more or less, on SNL. With people like Sandler, Spade, Rob, etc, 4-5 years used to be enough.  And as mentioned, scary stuff that those guys are getting up there in age!

Then I guess that opened the door for Kenan, who I never thought would be on the show for over a decade. Amazing how it's typical for several to spend 10 years, more or less, on SNL. With people like Sandler, Spade, Rob, etc, 4-5 years used to be enough.  And as mentioned, scary stuff that those guys are getting up there in age!

You know, I honestly think if Kenan had more success in the movies he was in, he would've been gone a long time ago.  For the ones that only stayed 4 -5 years, like Farley, Sandler, Spade (barring the fact that I think Sandler and Farley actually got fired), their success in movies gave them the freedom to leave.  Now, I think a lot of the cast hedges their bets and stay on until they have a better gig before they leave, or at least have some success outside of SNL before they leave.  Which, honestly, I can't fault them for - who wants to leave a steady job if there isn't anything waiting on the other side?  

(edited)

(barring the fact that I think Sandler and Farley actually got fired)

That is true.  They were, and that's probably a good reason that Adam Sandler always resists hosting now.

Kenan has said for sometime that he doesn't see a lot of opportunities after the show.  I think he's there until Lorne or whoever finally says  enough.  I'm a little surprised that Lorne hasn't tried to find him some other type of gig by now.  And FWIW, I've heard Seth say (I think on Howard Stern) that Kenan is always the one who Lorne laughs at the most during pitches and table reads.

Edited by vb68

Kenan would be well-suited for a ton of stuff. Maybe he won't be the leading-man love-interest that Adam Sandler plays. But he is familiar and funny (in my opinion), that's enough to get other work.

Plus he had a successful sitcom before he was on SNL. He is older now and so is his audience. If he wants to leave SNL, I can't imagine he'd be unemployed for long. He's funnier than Anthony Anderson, and that guy has had several sitcoms. 

• Love 1

I'll never understand how some people break out on this show and other people don't. I thought the one sketch that Milhiser starred in with Lady Gaga was really funny and I think Noel Wells had potential. I don't understand how Cecily Strong was able to do so well in her first year last year and these two weren't. I get that there were 6 new cast members and they were all fighting for screen time, but that's true of any cast, regardless of the number of new people.

Speaking of Cecily, what is the deal with her being featured so heavily this season? There were episodes where she was in almost every sketch, plus Update. It's getting to be too much. She can be funny, but there are other members of the cast who are a lot funnier and more talented. She seems to be the new Kristen Wiig/Lorne's favorite. Is it seriously because people think she's attractive? Is she a really good writer who gets a lot of her own sketches chosen? I hope that now that Kate McKinnon has been nominated for an Emmy, Lorne will look to her to anchor the show.

• Love 2

I think since Kyle Mooney has the Framily commercials going for him, he can step away from SNL. I can't recall anything he's ever done that struck me as funny. I wouldn't miss him at all and would love for him to take Kenan with him. I've never found his silliness funny at all either. When my sons were young, I suffered with hearing Kenan & Kel from my tv. Just because he has nothing to move on to after SNL doesn't justify keeping him around. Maybe he should stretch himself and try another angle, plenty of other former cast members have scratched out "careers" post SNL.

wudpixie, I totally agree with you regarding Cecily.

I hope there are no new additions to the cast for the upcoming season. The current cast just needs some time and space to find their grooves (or not) and go from there.

• Love 1

I find Mooney tolerable (on SNL, not in those annoying Framily commercials) so I'd be fine with him going.  

I agree about Cecily...she's trying to be the next Wiig.  Less is more.  Most people love Bobby but I've never heard anyone complain he's eating the show.  

Was Farley fired?  I remember him and Hartman doing that singing bit for their farewell.  Did they really do an emotional goodbye for a fired castmember?

Speaking of Cecily, what is the deal with her being featured so heavily this season? There were episodes where she was in almost every sketch, plus Update. It's getting to be too much. She can be funny, but there are other members of the cast who are a lot funnier and more talented. She seems to be the new Kristen Wiig/Lorne's favorite. Is it seriously because people think she's attractive? Is she a really good writer who gets a lot of her own sketches chosen? I hope that now that Kate McKinnon has been nominated for an Emmy, Lorne will look to her to anchor the show.

It's probably a combo of all those things, but my guess is that she's a strong writer who writes sketches for herself, and perhaps already had several character ideas before even auditioning.  That I think was part of Kristen's success on the show - she wrote a lot of sketches for herself, and as I recall, either Andy Samberg or Seth Meyers said she came to her audition with 6-7 characters already developed, which I think helps a ton.  

It's part of the reason I thought Nasim wasn't always that successful on the show (and I say that as someone who loves her) - I don't think she was all that great at creating characters or writing sketches for herself.  And it's also why I think that even though he was good at writing sketches for other people, John Mulaney never made it out of the writers room and into the cast -  I don't think he could create characters for himself, just for other people.  I think he would've killed as a WU anchor though.

Speaking of writers who became performers - I still wish Tim Robinson had stayed on as a cast member, instead of going back to the writers room and having Mike O'Brien become a cast member.  I thought he was hilarious; the "It's a Z-Shirt!" was one of my favorite bits from his season.

Edited by Princess Sparkle

The thing is, I think that was the original plan. Kate was added to the cast towards the end of Kristen's final season, and on the surface they're somewhat similar performers. They're both kind of go-to cast members for skinny white female impressions, and they each have a certain zaniness about them.

However, while Kristen wasn't afraid to take the reins and hog the spotlight, Kate comes off as more of a team player. She can shine even when she has a tertiary role in a sketch (the teacher in the Shallon sketches, the maid in the murder mystery sketch from the Jim Parsons episode), but she doesn't steal focus like Kristen always would.

I remember seeing Cecly sit on Jimmy Fallon's couch during her 1st season, and thinking, "Wow, she's really made it." You never see 1st year SNL players do that. She seemed like she was going places in her first season. But then she went places in her 2nd season, and she didn't deliver.

EDITED TO ADD: I was thinking of going to this, then I saw the pricetage (I'm 3.5 miles away).

When Wheelan was fired, Judd Apatow predicted he would have a Roberet Downey Jr-type post-SNL career. But now Apatow, who's been studying comedians for more than 30 years, is going on stage with him. I wonder if he sees something special.

34ez028.png

Edited by nowandlater

Was Farley fired?  I remember him and Hartman doing that singing bit for their farewell.  Did they really do an emotional goodbye for a fired castmember?

No, I think that was just Hartman's farewell (at the end of the season finale for his final episode of the 1993-94 season, IIRC). Farley was just there to join him, and was fired (along with Sandler and most of the remaining cast) the following season. By the time Hartman left, he'd been on the show, I want to say, eight seasons, and one of the reasons the show suffered the following season was the void he left in his wake (given how versatile a player he was)--probably the reason they made such a big deal about his leaving (I mean, even some of the weaker sketches he's in, like one entitled Sassy's Sassiest Boys, for example, are made funny just by him being in them, IMO). 

(I mean, even some of the weaker sketches he's in, like one entitled Sassy's Sassiest Boys, for example, are made funny just by him being in them, IMO).

That was from the Christian Slater episode around Halloween 1992 which was surprisingly good. I love the "Dysfunctional Family Feud" sketch. Hartman was good as the asshole father, berating and verbally abusing his wife and kids while playing the feud.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1