Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E03: The Purging Of The Pundit

WendyCR72

With the help of "squintern" Rodolfo Fuentes , the Jeffersonian team investigates the murder of a controversial conservative radio host whose remains were found in a storm drain. When the team discovers some of his extracurricular activities, they come across shocking evidence that narrows down the suspects. Meanwhile, Special Agent James Aubrey is desperate to gain the trust of Booth, and Brennan is worried about Booth's psychological well-being after recent events.

Please do not comment until after the east coast airing concludes. Thanks!

Am I the first one to comment?

Um, boring.

I ff'd through most of the case stuff and there wasn't much Bones/Booth stuff worth watching. I don't like the new intern either.

I think I need to stop watching. :( I miss early Brennan when ED played her like a person and not a robot.

• Love 1

Forgot Bones was on last night (says something). Just watched on Hulu. S&M not edgy (my goodness, Castle's done it . . . better).

I might be able to better accept a new agent if they had gone for someone physically and personality totally different from Sweets AND had waited a couple of episodes.

Don't mind the intern but did we ever get closure to the Wendell Bray cancer storyline?

Overall - meh.

ETA - treatment of fat folk pretty distasteful on this program.

Edited by pcta
  • Love 3

I enjoyed it. It was nice to see them continue the fallout from all that's happened, and how they're tying it in to the new guy. I don't think it's just a matter of Booth not wanting to trust someone again, I think he's protecting himself emotionally from being hurt again - through both betrayal of trust as well as loss if something were to happen to the newbie agent.

I also liked Bones pointing out what Sweets would have said about what Booth is going through. She actually was listening to him all these years. Also enjoyed her conversation with the hot squintern about whether or not he was making a pass at her again. Their matter-of-factness about how the confusion would come about (due to their mutual intelligence and attractiveness, heh) amused me.

I also enjoyed newbie agent's facial reactions in some of his scenes. When he said he was grateful or honored or something like that for Booth bringing him along and Booth said ' You should be' (shades of Brennan's arrogance, shows me how much they've influenced each other over the years) his reaction shot was pretty funny. Loved Brennan coming to his office after having prepped newbie agent for the interrogation and basically overrode Booth's objections, for his own good. Very wifey, 'Honey Do List' moment for me. And then telling newbie not to fuck it up as she walked out, heh.

And I have to say, I still enjoy how this show is able to incorporate its tertiary characters much better than that other show that I'm just about fed the fuck up with (rhymes with 'Hassle', and also perfectly describes my current ambivalence towards all this 'new mythology' bullshit). I know more about this week's squintern (forgotten name aside, heh) that I haven't seen in 56,000 years than I do about the other's original secondary cast - what he did in Cuba, what his parents and brother endured, how he reconciles his beliefs with what his parents believed, hell even one of his favorite meals. All in all, thoroughly enjoyable hour for me.

• Love 5

I also liked Bones pointing out what Sweets would have said about what Booth is going through. She actually was listening to him all these years.

Bones shouldn't have even needed to listen, she should've already known that stuff long before Sweets walked in. I think the oddest part about Sweets and Brennan's relationship was her constant denial of psychology, considering that as an anthropologist her job was basically to psychoanalyze past cultures based on pretty minimal evidence.

Edited by immortalfrieza

For me, Bones has always been presented as a scientist who is more on the evidentiary and clinical side of anthropology rather than the psycho-socio side of things. She sees the evidence of evolution through what is physically left behind, and common acceptances of societal changes are looked at as a whole rather than individual motivations based on personal feelings and emotions. I think Sweets has helped break it down for her from a collective driving force to the singular. She understands better the psychological reasons, and not just the forensic ones, behind what brings someone to the place in which she usually finds them. Just my take.

• Love 2

The new agent definitely reminds me of a character on another show but for the life of me I can't remember who.

He reminds me somewhat of the Colin Hanks character on the short-lived cop show The Good Guys.

Other than that, he just reminds me of Sweets.

My favorite part of the episode was Brennan giving anthropologist examples when Booth questioned her about believing in psychology. The new intern was wash, but more good than bad, considering his interesting history and lack of overly weird behavior. 

The new guy (Aubrey) isn't working too well for me. By nagging Booth to give the new guy a chance and let him in, it felt like it could be saying to the viewers the same thing.

I do like Brennnan coaching Booth, but rather than seeing her always being the one who needs to change.

It seemed inconsistent with Angela's personality that she wasn't more excited or what about the S/M angle, but maybe that's growth.

I liked how they handled the S/M parts. It fits the direction things seem to be moving. Also they've episodes that dealt indirectly with S/M before on this show. (Death in the Saddle and The Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, possibly more I can't remember?) 

It was really more about the pundit and political angle than his affairs. The message I guess being we need to work together and talk together as a society.