Type keyword(s) to search

Girlfriends' Guide To Divorce In The Media

Hmmm, I noticed The Hollywood Reporter can often be way off in their assessments.  They sure are with this one.  All they needed to do was a simple update on the ratings for the show.  It may have started with 1.4 mill viewers for the first ep, but it plummeted to 700 thou for the third one.  Critics can scream to the skies how they adore this show, it really doesn't matter.  If viewers hate it & the ratings keep sinking, it'll be gone pretty soon.

Yeah, I already posted this on the thread for third ep.  It puzzled me why EW did a recap on this show, when the ratings are so terrible & yet they do no recaps on Beverly Hills Housewives or Vanderpump Rules, which have more than double the ratings of this shitty thing.  I don't get it.  Something's up.

Just as with advertisers, scripted tends to get more play than reality in recap sites. For instance Vulture only does Atlanta and BH, no New Jersey or Vanderpump, but does a lot of less watch scripted. I assume they make these assumptions based on reviews/demos.  They probably thought this was a Can't Lose proposition. I hardly wish for some freelancer to lose his/her job, but I bet EW regrets the decision.

Even the L+3 ratings aren't that good if you look more closely. This is just spin to make it seem like it's doing better than it actually is and generate more buzz. They must be concerned about it cos I read elsewhere that they're paying people to tweet about it.

Oh and again this week it fell below 800 000 live viewers.

Down to a .28 and 687k viewers. It's officially doing People's Couch numbers in the demo. I still think that the total viewers number is good enough for now that they won't put WWHL at 10 quite yet. Also, they may be hesitant to do it because that would officially kill the show. On this morning's commute, this show shared a radio ad with The Boy Next Door. So they're still trying to save it.

That's really bad, especially as RHOBH won the night for Bravo as the top cable original right before it. The People's Couch was clearly cheap to make. This isn't. The fact they're now advertising it on radio is a loooong way from that super expensive ad during Scandal before the show started. I haven't seen or heard any real buzz for the show for a couple of weeks.

One thing protecting it is that the other 10PM shows: Friends to Lovers and Best New Restaurant are also doing poorly. That won't be enough to get the show renewed because it's much more expensive than reality, but will probably save it from being pulled. Also, the total viewer number is bad but not awful. Demo is.

In addition, this is still their first scripted show. As bad as it is, I can understand waiting for a miracle.

I don't think they'll pull it. I think them letting it go quietly once all the episodes have been aired is more likely. It'd be really hard to justify a renewal for a second season though.

Fairly big bump this week to 911 000 and 0.39 in the demo. Really don't know what to make of the ratings for this show. They're all over the place.

Interestingly, in spite of the bump, it still lost more than half of its lead-in and didn't make the top 25 cable originals. That's gotta be a problem for Bravo. A year or two ago the benchmark for renewing a show was the million average, but I don't know if that still stands with all the flops recently.

Wow, BH's ratings this week was 2.1 mil, so the dropoff was huge.  And the audience for this show in theory should be the same -- but clearly it isn't.  Maybe cuz this show sucks ass?  I wonder how many watch for the same reason I am -- too lazy to switch off Bravo after BH.  Guess they can't count on us lazies to save this shit show, can they?

The problem with GG is that other shows that don't rate so well on cable but last are the ones that attract attention at awards. I just can't see that for this mess. I'm not even sure that was what Bravo wanted for this. They needed high ratings to justify the millions of dollars they spent on it, and for it to consistently lose half or more of the RHOBH lead-in is, well... crap.

They've got to be regretting the 13 ep order too. It already seems too long. I noticed they only ordered 10 eps of their other new show Odd Mom Out, which is a half hour comedy. Really think they've got a better chance with that with the former SATC writers on-board.

• Love 1

Well, maybe that Noxon lady has friends at the Hollywood Reporter and Entertainment Weekly (which inexplicably does recaps on this shitfest) who are willing to shill for her.  Given the way the ratings are plummeting, I'd be pretty surprised if NBC/Universal is gonna approve throwing away any more dough on this crap show.

Wait, this show is a dramedy?

Yeah, they do keep throwing out stupid shit I suppose this Noxon woman thinks we'll see as hilarious, but it just lands with a hard thud & fails miserably.  Teen girls using vodka soaked tampons?  Er, hilarious?  Not so much.  Oh, and Lisa smiling all the fucking time, to the point of looking certifiably insane -- is this another hint the show is intended to be a "dramedy"?

Edited by ScoobieDoobs

I read a little while ago that they were paying people to tweet about the show, and there were a ton of suspicious looking new accounts saying how great it was, so the shills in the comments sections don't surprise me.

I've said before that it's not funny enough or dramatic enough to be a dramedy. Since about the second ep I've found myself half-watching, half reading a magazine at the same time.

Bravo, just let this mess go and learn from your mistakes!

They've actually renewed it for a second season. Really scratching my head over this one. I guess it's about saving face because it's their first scripted, because it's not about ratings. Feel a little sad for the miscast actors stuck around in this project for another year.

The people who greenlighted this show are desperate to keep their jobs. Only explanation.

Let's face it, the only thing keeping Bravo alive is the Real Housewives franchise. I don't expect Lara Spotts to keep her job for a long time. The numbers on newer shows just aren't good enough. In fact I doubt the channel will be around in 5-10 years. It'll probably merge with USA or another NBCU channel.

Speaking of numbers, back down to 739 000 total viewers and a 0.34 in the demo.

OK, that's what I saw too, but there are a zillion articles in the same boring places that all report the same fucking news, and they all quote this-

"It earned a series high for the Jan. 27 episode across all key demos with nearly 1.5 million total viewers, 983,000 adults 25-54 and 872,000 adults 18-49, according to Nielsen Live+3 data."

So how did these brilliant minds come up with 1.5 mil, from what was actually a little more than 700 thou, which is pretty crappy, btw?  The 700 thou number makes a lot more sense.  I wonder if the Nielsen+3 data factors in viewers watching On Demand or when it's shown after the first time?  

Eh, Bravo must be so desperate to have some kind of scripted show on their crap network, they'll take this POS.  They can stupidly greenlight this shit, but it doesn't mean anyone's gonna watch.  I know I won't.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs

I just think they invested so much cash into this show that it was probably never going to be allowed to fail. It launched their new scripted programming so execs jobs were probably on the line. If it was on any other basic cable channel, at any other time, it would have been canceled. The numbers are horrible. Even the L+3 numbers they're boasting about aren't that great, and it's worth noting that it was up against hardly any new broadcast shows that night. The Bravo PR team have been working overtime to spin this.

Well, I know nothing about L+3 numbers, so is 1.5 mil not that great?  Maybe the Bravo execs are counting on some misunderstanding of these numbers.  Cuz if this was a straight ratings average, it would be fairly good.  Wonder if they're doing a con job to advertisers -- as well as as spinning this to the public -- that the show is attracting tons more viewers than it actually is -- to get some or any viewers to watch.  This lame strategy just ain't gonna work.  Look, if this was a good show -- some undiscovered gem that just hasn't been discovered, it could work.  But we know otherwise.  

It's simply a terrible show, badly miscast, with mostly awful acting & consistently lousy writing.  Noxon failed miserably with this thing.  But I'll watch the PR spin among the press peeps who are clearly trying kiss up to Noxon for whatever reasons.  Let's see if these reporters (and there are a few who are inexplicably in luv with this shit) can save her show.  Me doubts it.  Bravo shoulda just let this go.  Fail.

They've cleverly (sneakily) used percentages to make the L+3 upticks seem better than they are. 50% of a small amount is a lot less than you think. To put it into perspective, Sons of Anarchy used to regularly double it's audience and that meant adding 2 or 3 million to their viewers in time shift. Advertisers will see right through it though. It's their job to place commercials where they'll be seen, and if you know half of a show's audience are fast-forwarding through the ads then you won't want to plug a brand there. I honestly think this show is now a placeholder until they find something better. Then it'll be dropped like a stone.

I read an interesting thing about Noxon. Her brother is a journo in LA, so I think that solves the mystery of the favorable reviews. Certainly can't hurt her. It's not what you know...

• Love 1

This show have also benefited from everything else collapsing. Even Best New Restaurant, which seems compatible with Top Chef has been tanking. It's a .17!! What is going on there? By that standard, this is Empire. By that standard, Euros of Hollywood was at least The Blacklist.

At this rate I can really see Bravo and Lifetime merging in a few years. They go after exactly the same audience now, so what's the point in competing?

Sarah Jessica Parker's Divorce show has been ordered to Pilot. My money's on that being a much better show.

• Love 1

Warren Christie is joining Chicago Fire and possibly becoming a series regular, so it looks like all that effort they made to make Will Mr Perfect won't matter. Maybe Abby will have her cataracts removed, realise he's not 28 and decide he's too old.

• Love 1

Well, maybe that Noxon lady has friends at the Hollywood Reporter and Entertainment Weekly (which inexplicably does recaps on this shitfest) who are willing to shill for her.  Given the way the ratings are plummeting, I'd be pretty surprised if NBC/Universal is gonna approve throwing away any more dough on this crap show.

She's from Whedon world. Unattractive characters in an ugly world doing awful things while the viewers leave in droves is an iconoclastic genius-type choice.

According to the new issue of TV Guide, Megan Hilty is joining the cast as the second wife of Frumpkis, who is the guy that the lead character's loud-mouthed live-in bestie who took Janeane Garafolo's place is/was married to (I can't remember if Frumpkis ever appeared on camera, but the blurb says that he's played by Maury Sterling).  No doubt ex-wife and current wife hilarity will ensue.

Megan Hilty sounds vaguely familiar but I'm not interested enough to Google her.  In fact, I had forgotten all about this show (damn you TV Guide!). 

Megan Hilty sounds vaguely familiar but I'm not interested enough to Google her.  In fact, I had forgotten all about this show (damn you TV Guide!).

Megan Hilty is a Broadway star who was in the TV show Smash, playing an actress who had the Marilyn Monroe part in a Broadway show.

• Love 1

I'm pretty surprised too, but it looks like they want it to run long enough for it to go into syndication so they can get the money back they ploughed into it. I DREAD to think how bad this show will be by Season 5. It was at the 'scraping the barrel for storylines' stage about mid-way through Season 1. I suppose it's good news for the actresses in terms of job security, but who'd want to be stuck on something this terrible for at least another 3 years? 

• Love 1

On the surface this seems like a strange, surprising & really terrible business decision to keep this show going for 1 more season, let alone 3.  The ratings stink & they stunk really, really badly this season.  Any other show on any other network with ratings like this would get cancelled.  They try to chat up the +3 ratings, but those are misleading & they stink too -- in comparison to just about every other show on air.  OK, so why did this happen?  Well, make no mistake, this wasn't the work of a few Bravo execs who will get fired in a few months.  Nope.  The link above quotes the head of NBCUniversal-

"With Marti and Lisa leading our stellar writers and cast, GG2D is a show that captures an important slice of the zeitgeist,” said Jeff Wachtel, NBCUniversal Cable COO, in a statement. “And with this remarkable three season pickup, it will be a show that audiences can discover and enjoy forever.”

Um, is ole Jeffie-boy smoking crack or is his brain booze-soaked or what?  No.  There is much more to this -- as I suspected.  This seems like a very strange decision -- and it is, to us "outsiders" (who don't work for NBC).  Deadline gets to the bottom of why this decision was made-

http://deadline.com/2016/04/girlfriends-guide-to-divorce-renewed-season-3-4-5-bravo-1201736840/

"Also playing a role in the three-season renewal decision is the fact that Girlfriends’ Guide is produced by Bravo sibling Universal Cable Prods, so the supersized pickup is helping to build an asset for the company."

So it looks like ratings could go down to next to nothing & they don't seem to care.  I've NEVER seen a situation like this for a TV show.  It's the only thing about this show I find even remotely interesting.  I still think the show itself is awful & Noxon's sense about it is the absolute worst.  Altho maybe it's a plus, as Deadline states, dull/unattractive Paul Adelstein is moving onto other projects.  Could only be an improvement as far as I'm concerned -- but not by much.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs

Only on Bravo could a series about horrible, toxic adolescent shallow rich women making scenes about bullshit be considered an important slice of the zeitgeist.

• Love 3

"With Marti and Lisa leading our stellar writers and cast, GG2D is a show that captures an important slice of the zeitgeist,” said Jeff Wachtel, NBCUniversal Cable COO, in a statement. “And with this remarkable three season pickup, it will be a show that audiences can discover and enjoy forever.”

The 'forever' part of that gave me chills. One day this show will be used to torture people. Reading between the lines, it does seem like it's all about the money. The only silver lining is that there's bound to be some juicy gossip along the way, particularly as Necar Zadegan is a much better actress than Lisa Edelstein and it already seemed like they were starting to sideline Abby's character a little. There could be some SATC drama behind the scenes here.

I'm still kind of speechless at the renewal. Of all the things NBCU could have thrown money at, they throw it at something that reinforces a sh*t load of sexist stereotypes and market it as something for intelligent women. I am amused Paul Adelstein has jumped ship. His character was crap, but I doubt he'll be the last to go.

• Love 1

I'm still kind of speechless at the renewal. Of all the things NBCU could have thrown money at, they throw it at something that reinforces a sh*t load of sexist stereotypes and market it as something for intelligent women. I am amused Paul Adelstein has jumped ship. His character was crap, but I doubt he'll be the last to go.

I didn't realize it was renewed until I saw the promo last night. I really can't believe it got renewed for 3 years. I don't know if I'm going to watch or not. It's one of those things that is so awful, I almost have to watch it.

WowOh!Wow...

Just saw the promo.  Are you freaking kidding me??

So I ran in here and found out that some of you have been carrying this news around for months.  I apologize that you've had to bear it alone!

I thought for sure that they'd driven a stake through the heart of it all.  I guess I'm the only one who's bummed about Adelstein leaving?  One of the only things I liked about this train wreck was the chem between them.

That, and her bedroom lamps.  Still haven't found those on the interwebs. And I've been looking.

On 30. 8. 2016 at 7:55 PM, tvsoothesthespirit said:

I didn't realize it was renewed until I saw the promo last night. I really can't believe it got renewed for 3 years. I don't know if I'm going to watch or not. It's one of those things that is so awful, I almost have to watch it.

It is not renewed for three years, it's only for 19 episodes :-))) http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/girlfriends-guide-divorce-end-season-917508

• Love 1
On 9/22/2016 at 5:08 PM, Divinecomedy said:

It is not renewed for three years, it's only for 19 episodes :-))) http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/girlfriends-guide-divorce-end-season-917508

Thanks for posting this link.  I forgot about this terrible mess of a show, and was reminded of it, now that Bravo is blasting a billion commercials of it coming back.  Will these zillions of promos help turn around the horrible ratings?  No.  This is simply a terrible show, which should have been cancelled.  Any other show on a cable network with ratings this low would have been cancelled.  

Wonder what went on here that this show was greenlit to continue.  I'm scratching my head trying to figure that one out.  OK, I get NBCUniversal wants to have something other than reality shows on Bravo, but this ain't it.  Did they really think this was a great show that just couldn't find an audience?  No, it is a shit show that lost its audience in droves -- with lousy acting & senseless writing & casting.  The President of NBCUniversal Jeff Wachtel made a very poor decision to keep it going.  But his word garbage explanation of why he did sounds quite Trumpian.  So it would sell better overseas because they say it has 5 seasons?  A bad show is a bad show.  No getting around that.  And this one stinks like hell.

Well, running all 3 seasons at once says it all.  Clearly, they conceded continuing this awful show was a dreadful mistake, and they'll run it.  But if ratings really, really plummet, they'll either pull it or show it at an off hour.  At least they're finally ending it so I don't have to see those annoying commercials for it anymore.

Edited by ScoobieDoobs