Type keyword(s) to search

Halloween Wars - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I don't find that big a difference between Justin and Rossi. Since Cupcake Wars is long gone Justin probably didn't want to keep doing this.

I don't see how the motel won over the movie theatre. I thought it was the clear winner. Bigger shock is the loser. That devil's due piece was--not good. The other team was stupid to wrap their body entirely in in sugar web but the details were still better than that other mess.

I still wish they'd bring the Going Bats back every year and just have the other teams compete for second. No other team has ever come close to their work.

I think this competition is Scream Team's to lose.  They are really good.  I also think they should have won the small scare as theirs was really scary.  I didn't think the one that won was "such a much" (quoting Mrs. Macgillicutty to Lucy in I Love Lucy)

I think that girl was crazy to put the hot sugar against her face like that (oh the drama!!!) and she got zero benefit from it as it came out so crappy. And then she whined about it for the rest of the task.  LOL

I hate that the run the promo for next week before the end.  We always know the team with the bald guy is still in it even though they were on the bottom.

I see now that there's one scene every week where a team drops something or something bad happens.  It seems to end up ok so I'm not believing you promo team.  Fool me once..etc.

Edited by NYGirl
  • Love 2

I thought the wrong team won the Small Scare.  The winning one was nice but it wasn't scary IMO.  I thought the one with the hands coming out would win for sure.

I did agree with the team that went home.  I already didn't care for the buttercream woman and I was sick of listening to her boasting.  Her stunt with the hot sugar didn't impress me at all and the resulting Small Scare was terrible.  The cockroach person was just as bad.   It looked like someone with a pumpkin head and blobs for hair sitting on a big pumpkin.  It didn't read "roach" to me at all.

I like the new host.

• Love 3

I'm glad the team with the buttercream lady went home.  I was beginning to wonder if we might have to go through all four weeks with them coming up with new ways to include cockroaches in Halloween scenarios.  All three of the other teams came up with better hybrids. (But I'm not finding any of these teams as outstanding as some of the teams in S2 and S3. Maybe that's just me.)  And all of the other teams also had better small scare works.

Speaking of which - I do agree that the wrong one won the small challenge.  The one with the hands coming out was better, and so was the one with the book, IMO.  I thought it would be one of those two that took the win.  I did like the "story" that went with the winning one, though.  Good and creepy.  

Morbid Morticians ended up with the weakest work even though they were going for the Bloody Mary story?  That's just sad.  They should have been able to make a winning creation out of that one, without resorting to hot-sugar face masking.  What a waste of a classic urban legend.  Also, I realize the hot sugar must have hurt, but all I could think was that there are probably spas that would charge good money to put someone through that kind of treatment, if it wasn't made of sugar.  Rossi's reaction shot to it made me laugh, though.  

I want to check out the recipe for the winning team's creme brulee filled apple treat and see whether it's as good as Shinmin Li says.  I got the impression it was more of a factor than usual in which team won this week.

• Love 2

I was disappointed in the work this week (mind you, I could never make what they do, but it is a competition...). I agreed with the team that went home as they seemed a mess. I generally love these case decorating shows, but this episode just seemed meh.

I agree with everyone else - Not sorry to see buttercream lady go and I thought the mirror with the hands coming out of it should have won.  I am going to assume that the mirror that won looked better in person, was better done from a technically aspect, or was more difficult to make.  I enjoy these competition shows more if I make myself believe the judges are being honest and are not voting based on what outcome they think makes for better TV.  

I see now that there's one scene every week where a team drops something or something bad happens.  It seems to end up ok so I'm not believing you promo team.  Fool me once..etc.

I used to watch Cupcake Wars with my daughter and we noticed that every week someone would have to throw out the batter, then there would be a commercial, then they replay the batter tossing, followed by some variation of "I don't know if we will get done on time!" We never watched live, so as soon as someone would complain that there was something wrong with the batter, we would both say "Time to throw out the batter" and then hit the fast-forward button to skip the commercial.

• Love 2
Episode synopsis: Three remaining teams go to battle to create mind-blowing Halloween-themed displays that capture the horror that results from robbing a grave. Actress Bex Taylor-Klaus from MTV's Scream will help determine which two teams will move on to the final battle.

I skipped the small scare. They can never really do enough in 45 minutes to justify anyone winning. 

I think for the main event, the right team won and the right team lost. However, there were misses in each, e.g., the winner's grave robber didn't really look like it was holding the casket. 

I like this show a lot and I also like the new host but none of the contestants seem to have the skills of Karen Portaleo or Richard Ruskell or even Vinny Garcia. They're all good but no one has been awesome. 

I got a kick out of the male judge doing a devil because he always seems like a stuffed shirt.  Good to know he has a sense of humor.

• Love 1

I've never watched this show before so I know nothing of previous hosts and great contestants.

I do like the team that won last night because they are from Brooklyn.  I do agree that the pumpkin guy is a little bit cocky.  Personally I think he's very bossy.

I wonder if the teams come in together or if they are put together by the producers.  The team that won always has my favorite work anyway.  That grave robber was amazing.  I didn't like the rock star because the robber and the dead person did look kind of fake.  What I did like was the tattoos.

• Love 2
They can never really do enough in 45 minutes to justify anyone winning.

I'd have to disagree.  Each team gets the same amount of time, so whoever does the best job is as deserving of the win as if they'd all been given two hours.  And usually, there's at least one creation that I can root for - even if it doesn't end up winning.  This week, I thought the one with the eyes and teeth should have won - it was freaky scary, IMO. But the one that did win was also pretty good.  

In this week's big challenge, I liked both the cowboy and Victorian grave robber scenes.  I was glad the Victorian one won simply because it felt more in keeping the theme, but the cowboy one had some really well-done details.  The lettering on the headstone in the cowboy one was lovely - I'm amazed she did that freehand. 

The rocker one wasn't horrible, but I did think it was clearly the least of the three.  I agree, though, that the guitar and the tattoo work were the highlights of the piece.

I like this show a lot and I also like the new host but none of the contestants seem to have the skills of Karen Portaleo or Richard Ruskell or even Vinny Garcia. They're all good but no one has been awesome.

Agreed.  I don't know if it's just because the bar has been set so high by some of the previous years' creations, but I haven't seen anything from this seasons' teams that I'd include in a "Best of Halloween Wars" reel.   (Maybe next week they'll prove me wrong. The promo looked promising.)

Edited by ElleryAnne

I liked the concept of the rocker but boy did that figure look awful (except of course the tattoos). And yes the guitar was awesome.

Fine with the grave robber win, but I really loved the Billy the Kid one - thought it was a better story and that work was pretty impressive. (Also on a person note, I hate the winning team leader - he's all sorts of obnoxious).

• Love 1

I thought the Billy the Kid one was the best too. The Victorian Grave Robber looked a bit cartoonish, but I did think that was was really well done too.

The Rocker one was okay, but even the dead musician in the coffin wasn't scary at all, and the punk was very cartoonish.

Still, these guys are doing amazing things with the sugar and cake work, and the pumpkin carving. So talented!! I love these shows.

Episode synopsis: For the final battle, two teams made up of an expert pumpkin carver, cake decorator, and sugar artist go head-to-head to create terrifying and scream-worthy displays of an undead dinner party. Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, serves as the special guest judge and helps determine which team wins the $50,000 grand prize.

I call bullshit on the clear sugar window suddenly "breaking"  (Yeah, sure) when the window that replaced it had writing on it before it was placed on the "doll".

And then the cracked pumpkin and the broken champagne glasses?

Drama?  Yes, but cheap, manufactured drama.

• Love 6

I was glad that team won because they were consistently good throughout the competition.  I was rooting for them because they were from Brooklyn anyway but I couldn't stand the pumpkin guy.  He was so bossy and arrogant. Ugh.  I did like the cake and sugar people though.

I liked their final "scare".  Did you notice the smoke coming out of the cauldron and it looked liked the victim was actually sweating.

• Love 3

I'm glad the team that won, won because they have been consistent but I agree that the pumpkin carver was a big idiot. He was bragging so much about how much he was going to have to do in order to carve the pumpkin instead of actually doing any of it. Ugh.

• Love 5

I think the right team won although I didn't like Adam.  He did do some great work though.  I liked the people on the other team but their display was less effective despite Joseph's terrific work. 

It seems like Elvira has been around forever.  She must be a senior citizen by now.

Overall, I love this show.  I like the new host and the judges are OK.  I even like the intro at the beginning with the ha ha ha jack-o-lantern.  Looking forward to next year.

I meant to add.................. I wish I understood the actual sequence of filming this show.  Adam had his left hand bandaged up when the show started - before he even did anything.  His hand was still bandaged when they started the challenge.  I stopped paying attention to it after that but I did notice that the bandage was gone when they announced the winner.  I didn't see him with a glove on during the challenge although I could have missed it but he couldn't have been scooping pumpkin guts without getting the gauze soaked in it.  And, if he had a wound on his hand bad enough to warrant that bandage, how was he working with a bare hand?  I know that's a petty observation but it bugged me.

Edited by mlp
  • Love 2

Ugh. I disliked obnoxious pumpkin guy so much I wanted his team to lose even if they were more consistent overall. I preferred the other team's more elegant, less cartoony designs even if they were a bit overly cluttered. I did enjoy his breaking and falling into his precious giant pumpkin.

• Love 5

If that other pumpkin was better, why did he choose that flat one in the first place? Agreed that he was just so obnoxious it was hard to root for him. He was such a jackass to his cake guy.

I LOVED the look on the dark-haired lady's face when the winner was announced. I imagine I would look like that too if I lost.

On concept alone I liked the Victorian dinner party way better than a boring old kid in a cauldron tableau. But the scale of the people was off to me, the people were so small, they should have made the coffin smaller to match. The creepy faces under the masks were fantastic though.

The first sugar square for the voodoo doll was too big for the hole they cut so I don't get Joseph's befuddled pondering about what to do with it. And if the sugar lady carried the champagne glasses upside down the second time, why didn't she do that the first time??

• Love 2

To be fair, the cake guy on the winning team seemed to be a few degrees off center and somewhat unreliable. I had hom pegged as this year's walkoff (seems like every year someone quits and has to be replaced).

I thought the other teams was better. The way they used the pumpkins for the dresses and walls original, as was the use of the kale. The tasting element was way more innovative too, but the did need more sugar work. In contrast the other team had that out of place kid and those laughable tombstones (Elvira was dead on about them looking like refrigerator doors).

I did laugh at the one guy saying they raised the bar for Halloween Wars. Um, no. Bing Bats set the bar in the first year and no one has jumped it yet.

• Love 3

Honestly , I could not care less about the fake drama on these shows.  I watch this to see impressive Halloween creations, and I usually tune out the nonsense.  But I laughed when that idiot fell into the pumpkin and broke it, because by then I was sick of hearing him talk about the importance of choosing just the right pumpkin as if this was his great contribution to humanity. Even Linus Van Pelt would have been telling him he was too invested.

I preferred the Venetian masks work, even though the scale of it was odd.  I thought their idea was more clever, and some of the work was lovely and creepy.  But I wasn't surprised that it lost, especially when the judges referred to how pretty the stencil work was.  They didn't seem to think the work had as much difficulty in technique.  Also, I kept waiting for them to call out the use of the kale for things that could have been done in sugar, etc.  But I guess that since they allow a percentage of non-edible armature, they also don't have a problem with allowing food decoration outside the usual suspects.

I thought the skull and handle on Scream Team's cauldron was very well-detailed even though I had to remind myself that it was not actually a door-knocker.  The rest of their final piece was unimaginative and forgettable.

Did I miss a direction that they would get bonus points if their treats reminded Brian Kinney of an amusement park?  He seemed to give a lot of credit to Scream Team's funnel-cake treat, even though he also appreciated being able to bite into the glass on the other work. Maybe he was just hungry.

I liked Rossi Morreale as host. 

Not a strong season overall.  I think the only piece I'll remember from it will be the Venetian masks.

• Love 1

I watch this show for the creative process - how they make the displays - and to enjoy seeing the end result.  I do not care about the personalities at all, and the fake, repetitive bitchery that they add in the editing and confessionals for the sake of "drama".  The "it's so important that I get first pick of pumpkins" crap was made into such a big deal, but when that carver destroyed the first choice pumpkin and had to use an alternative, it turns out first pick meant very little.  And Mr. Pumpkin Carver (couldn't remember anyone's name if you paid me to), why in the hell were you kneeling on the edge of your "perfect" pumpkin to clean it out?  it can't take your weight like that.  GET A STOOL, you idiot. 

I loved the Venetian masks and pumpkin dresses (with nifty kale lace accents!), but understood why they lost.  The display was almost empty, but for the candy table ware on that disproportionately huge table and the figures themselves.  It looked unfinished.  The winning display, on the other hand, was a complete story, and every inch of the display had some kind of covering.  It wasn't perfect, but it was more complete and interesting.  However, I really wanted pumpkin carver guy to lose, if only so I could see his head explode like a dropped pumpkin.

• Love 3

Sorry my posts kept on duplicating themselves.

Agreed with the terrible manufactured drama - obviously fake and contrived. I don't come here to watch people break stuff, I come to watch talented people make awesome things.

The winning team irked me something awesome and I hated their dynamic - agreed that they were good up until that point but I think the other team did wayyyy better in this challenge. Those dresses were brilliant.

Edited by CherZ

I think the producers used to do a much better job at covering up their added drama. The glass breaking, the pumpkin-falling-into, and the tray and such falling over were so obviously staged, I wondered why they were bothering. Also, the teams yelling at one another one second, then being supportive the next...it just doesn't make any sense. Food Network Challenge used to do all these display contests without us having to see something fall over, but it's okay, guys, even though we only have four seconds left, I can remake it and BETTER!

I am far from an authority on this sort of stuff - heck, I don't even watch The Walking Dead - but I was sure that one of the judges would point out that those were skeletons coming up out of the graveyard, not zombies.  I thought zombies still had (most) of their skin, based on ones I have  seen (in movies and on tv, I have yet to see one in real life, although there was that guy on the train one morning, but I digress...)

Seems to be a popular opinion... I didn't like the pumpkin guy from the winning team.  He is a good carver, but is terribly obnoxious.  I was impressed with him making a giant vegetable peeler, but, as he used the grinder to make it, I kept thinking why doesn't he use the grinder to remove the rind/peel. Also, I would think that if you are the self-proclaimed greatest giant pumpkin carver to ever carve a giant pumpkin, you would already have some tool to peel giant pumpkins, other than a regular size vegetable peeler.

Food Network seems to try too hard to make their competitions "exciting" and "suspenseful" (both are in quotes, because I don't think they are too successful at it).  "Oh no, I broke the most important part of our display and don't have time to re-create it, but I will try anyway" is to Halloween Wars as "Oh no, I put too much/little of something in my batter and now I have to start over and don't have time to re-make it, but I will try anyway" is to Cupcake Wars.  

Edited by needschocolate
  • Love 5

Anyone think they film the actual challenge as is, then get the contestants to film "extra" scenes to add to the drama? If one makes these beautiful sugar glasses, one isn't going to carry them - teetering on a sugar tray - without being very careful about where they step, or what they carry. Same with the broken pumpkin. Everyone knows that you lean on it with your full weight, it's gonna break. Same with that beautiful sugar glass in the small scare. All of the conveniently broken spectacular sugar work seems very convenient. Sheesh.

Scream Team was talented and were consistant, but that other team (I forget their name), I thought their Billy the Kid was so awesome. Plus, their undead dinner party was exactly that - undead dinner party. The kid in the cauldron - though creepy - was not the theme to me. It was a good piece, but damn, those pumpkins carved into gorgeous gowns!!. The sugar glassware!! The total scene itself, being in a crypt. They were robbed, I tell you.

I will say that their piece was a bit monochrome, but it was beautiful. Should've won.

Elvira - how old is she? Because she looks FAB-U-Lous!

I think the producers used to do a much better job at covering up their added drama. The glass breaking, the pumpkin-falling-into, and the tray and such falling over were so obviously staged, I wondered why they were bothering. Also, the teams yelling at one another one second, then being supportive the next...it just doesn't make any sense. Food Network Challenge used to do all these display contests without us having to see something fall over, but it's okay, guys, even though we only have four seconds left, I can remake it and BETTER!

I miss the old Food Network Challenge. Great show without the fake crap.

They kept saying they were winning 50 thousand dollars but once taxes are taken out and its split 3 ways, they'll be lucky to get 10 thousand each.

• Love 3

Add me to the list of those who can't stand Adam. The epitome of the Brooklyn douchebag hipster jerk. His work was very good, but he is such a collossal jerk it is impossible to root for him. I felt the final verdict could have gone either way, but if it is based on the entire season, DBag and his flunkies did deserve to win. I'd be willing to bet he screws the other two out of an equal share, because in his mind, he was the only reason they won.

As to the dropping, breaking,falling into, and other catastrophies that always seem to occur in these FN shows, add me to the list who believes most of them are staged.

Also, the choice of 1st punkin for winning the first challenge turned out to be a joke, contrary to DBag's bloviating on how stupendous a game changer it was.

On a final note, Elvira is 64 years old for those who inquired.

But her boobs are probably around 30 or so!

Edited by MajorWoody
  • Love 2

On a final note, Elvira is 64 years old for those who inquired.

But her boobs are probably around 30 or so!

Wow, I too thought she looked great but it's possible the massive amounts of makeup helped. I thought she was funny as well.

I also miss the old Food Network Challenge.

I saw some of these episodes over the last week or two, and I have to agree that I have no idea how this host is employed.  1) He looks like he is 15 years old; 2) he's just all around terrible at what he does.  I am amazed that he is the host of Cupcake Wars and a bunch of other things.

Kind of reminds me of the host of that old Nickelodeon kids' game show where the teams collected prizes from this big house with lots of fun obstacles.  That host looked like he was 12, had floppy red hair, and showed up on seemingly everything.  He was a puzzlement to me as well as to how he got employed.

Yay!! The season starts next Sunday! Looks like Jonathan Bennett will be the host. I prefer Justin but am getting used to Jonathan and his supreme wackiness on Cake Wars. I hope the level of competition is able to at least get close to the early seasons. I found last season to be a bit disappointing. Also, I am the type who hates spoilers so have to avert my eyes when a trailer comes on since they show so many of the finished creations.

• Love 2

Six teams made up of an expert pumpkin carver, cake decorator and sugar artist go to battle to create mind-blowing Halloween-themed displays that capture an epic and terrifying clash between witches and warlocks.

At the end of this battle, one team will be eliminated with help from special guest judge Elvira, Mistress of the Dark.

• Love 1

Five remaining teams made up of an expert pumpkin carver, cake decorator and sugar artist go to battle to create delicious Halloween displays that capture the scariest haunted roadside motel ever seen.

At the end of the battle, one team will be eliminated with help from special guest judge Sid Haig, actor and horror icon who has appeared in several hits, including Halloween and The Devil's Rejects.

Four remaining teams made up of an expert pumpkin carver, cake decorator and sugar artist go to battle to create mind-blowing Halloween-themed displays that capture the horror of a two-faced monster.

Carlson Young, actress from MTV's Scream, joins the judging panel to help decide which team will be eliminated and which will move on to the final battle.

The final three teams of expert pumpkin carvers, cake decorators and sugar artists go to battle to create mind-blowing displays that capture the horror that unfolds inside of a crypt after dark.

Three teams start this battle, but only two will earn their way into the Halloween Wars finale. Greg Plotkin, director of Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension, joins the judging panel.

I didn't mind Jonathon at first, but he has increasingly become more frenzied and wacky.  His antics have become such a big turn off for me that I hardly watch Cake Wars any more.  I am really hoping he cools it down somewhat because I love Halloween Wars and look forward to it every year.  I guess I could at least mute it or fast forward when he is on.

• Love 3

Like Elvira said, the scale problems in each of the bottom two teams' designs was hilarious. You had soda bottles that were half the size of the wizard/warlock on one team, and on the other there were miniscule scattered dead people.

• Love 3

In addition to the scale problems, the second bottom team was lucky to not get eliminated after doing a similar concept to another team that paled horribly by comparison.

Well I wonder if we're already guaranteed the two top teams of the premiere being in the final since the show seemed to be trying really hard to set up a rivalry there.

• Love 3

It's probably unhealthy how happy I am when it's time for this show each year.  

The winning work in the small-scare challenge was pretty good for 45 minutes' work, even if their screen was blank.  

When the teams were describing what they would do, I was rooting for the kraken.  But they couldn't pull it off in time, and their work in the second challenge was kinda sloppy, too.  

I was surprised that Brian Kinney isn't a judge this season.  Guess he's busy?  And they changed up the host again.  At least Shinmin Li is still around.  And Elvira gets brought out with a half-hearted introduction while the teams are already working, which seemed odd.  Still, yay for Halloween Wars being back!

• Love 7

I'm kind of sorry Rossi Morreale isn't back as host.  I liked him last season.  Justin was good, too, IMO.  I always thought he was goofy but comfortable in his goofiness.  I agree with @caci that Jonathan can be a bit frenetic, and I hope he tones it down a bit.  

• Love 2

I'm with you ElleryAnne, I look forward to this show way too much!  I enjoyed this episode and, so far, no one is really unlikable.  It is early though! 

I loved the look on the faces of the winning gaming witch and warlock.  I think I've seen that look a few times on my nephew when he is really into a game!  Totally consumed and oblivious!

• Love 5

I hate change.  I still miss Justin but we don't even get Rossi?  And Brian is gone too?  That new guy seems way low key.

Six years in and I'm still bothered that a team of three has to split 50 grand.

I loved the face on the second from the bottom's team warlock, the carving was amazing.

The winner guy from NJ is going to grate quickly.

I love this show too!

• Love 5
On 10/2/2016 at 10:04 PM, LexieLily said:

Like Elvira said, the scale problems in each of the bottom two teams' designs was hilarious. You had soda bottles that were half the size of the wizard/warlock on one team, and on the other there were miniscule scattered dead people.

I agree, it was glaring.  If I had been on one of those teams, I might have tried something like "Well, that is because of all the magic spells flying around as these two battled.  They changed the size of things"!

My DVR, which is probably wrong, shows episode 2 of this season as Most Monstrous Scares and it is a recap of the most amazing, trickiest and most monstrous designs of all time on HW. And wow, they were. This recap just reminds me of why I got hooked on this show in the first place. I still like the show very much, but the quality of designs and detail in recent years is zilch compared to past years. Try to catch the rerun of it if you can, especially if you are a fairly recent fan of the show. 

• Love 1