Type keyword(s) to search

Halloween Wars - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I can't quite decide if the bakers last season and this are less skilled than the contestants on the previous seasons or if the real problem is that they have to construct around cake.  Certainly there hasn't been a Karen Portaleo or Richard Ruskell in the crowd but they were on early seasons and we saw some great stuff on seasons after theirs.  

I will never understand why FN so often takes shows that ain't broke and decides to "fix" them.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

I am so very incredibly sick of cake! I remember when the tasting element was whatever the creative baker had time/inclination to make. I remember watching and wondering how they were going to incorporate the tasting element and they were only told to make a candy or an ice cream or whatever. And then they would take it and put it on their scene and it would be cool! Now look at it! Cake! Every freaking week! Cake! At this point since they don't really carve the cake anyway they just mould the rice crispy treats why don't they challenge them to make neat rice crispy treats since they'll be making it anyway.

So sick of cake. So sick of it. 

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 8

Can we just say that this isn't Halloween Wars, but a weekly Halloween themed cake show?  Not to insult the contestants, where are the world class pumpkin carvers, cake artists & most of all I miss the spectacular sugar artistry.  No backdrops, no small scares, no witty tasting elements.  And even if he piqued my interest, I refuse to watch whatever show that douche Bagans guy is involved in.  I saw 1-1/2 episodes then deleted the reminder on my phone.  Sad. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 8

I really liked the gargoyle piece. But could those women please lose the little hats?! The pumpkin one is the worst. I thought the vacuum cleaner and Cerberus was a clever idea. And that the vampire was the weakest piece. Not agreeing with the judges on the winner or the loser. The zombie ram did not look like a ram at all.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
59 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

I thought the vacuum cleaner and Cerberus was a clever idea. And that the vampire was the weakest piece. Not agreeing with the judges on the winner or the loser. The zombie ram did not look like a ram at all.

Agreed.  I thought Cerberus vs. vacuum cleaner was a brilliant idea but I didn't think the vacuum was executed well or very visible in the finished piece.  I really liked the young guy and was sorry to see him leave.  Having said that, I thought the zombie ram looked like nothing at all although the other character was good.  Both decisions about winners and losers puzzled me.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

For fucks sake, forcing the tasting to be a cake (cut from the showpiece) and ordering certain flavors is bad enough, but stupid twists that they have to incorporate into half finished pieces just contributes to why most of these pieces look like ass compared to prior seasons.

• Like 2
  • Love 9
7 hours ago, mlp said:

Agreed.  I thought Cerberus vs. vacuum cleaner was a brilliant idea but I didn't think the vacuum was executed well or very visible in the finished piece.  I really liked the young guy and was sorry to see him leave.  Having said that, I thought the zombie ram looked like nothing at all although the other character was good.  Both decisions about winners and losers puzzled me.

The zombie ram didn't quite look zombie like. It looked like it was wearing Joseph's coat of  many colors. The gargoyle was hands down my favorite. I thought it was stunning. 

• Love 3

The gargoyle piece was the best. The ram didn’t look at all like a ram to me. The judges have too many critiques. Even the winning piece gets told there is 37 different things wrong. It’s too much. I watch a lot of competition shows and usually the winning cake/outfit/piece is just praised. It must be demoralizing to hear so much is wrong when in reality it probably tastes good . I notice Eddie is like this on all his shows; this is really good but let me mention 20 things wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I'm also tired of Aarti's critiques, especially while they're working.   I like Eddie and Aarti in general but they're both kinda awful judging this show.  They're not bakers and they have no connection to horror movies.  They need to stick to judging GGG and not trying to one up Shin Min.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 5

The small display area doesn’t lend well to development of a story or interaction between characters. That is one of the many ways that the old version of HW is superior by a mile. I like Eddie on The Big Bake but he and Aarti wear on me on this show. I will never warm up to this format or these judges (except Shinmin) or the ridiculously stupid Zak. He made such a big deal about dolls—I thought the challenge would be to do a scene with deranged dolls. Eh, whatever. I know that Discovery is pimping  Zack’s show by having him on here, but I would love to know if anyone who watches HW has been incentivized to watch his show? 

• Like 5
  • Love 4
14 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

The small display area doesn’t lend well to development of a story or interaction between characters. That is one of the many ways that the old version of HW is superior by a mile. I like Eddie on The Big Bake but he and Aarti wear on me on this show. I will never warm up to this format or these judges (except Shinmin) or the ridiculously stupid Zak. He made such a big deal about dolls—I thought the challenge would be to do a scene with deranged dolls. Eh, whatever. I know that Discovery is pimping  Zack’s show by having him on here, but I would love to know if anyone who watches HW has been incentivized to watch his show? 

Not incentivized in the least. If anything, I am running in the opposite direction.

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

I mean, if Discovery said “you can have one million dollars if you watch an entire season of Zak’s show” I *might* consider it.  Maybe.

Aarti needs to not pre-judge what people are making because it puts the idea in her head that she’s not going to like it.

Edited by mojoween
  • Like 2
  • Love 5
8 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I mean, if Discovery said “you can have one million dollars if you watch an entire season of Zack’s show” I *might* consider it.  Maybe.

Aarti needs to not pre-judge what people are making because it puts the idea in her head that she’s not going to like it.

I would need one million dollars and a case of good gin to get me through a season of Zak’s show. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
On 9/18/2022 at 8:47 PM, threebluestars said:

This Zach guy must be blackmailing someone at the Food Network.

The Food Network and The Travel Channel are both part of the Discovery Network.  That's why we're seeing crossover people stuck where they clearly don't belong.  It's all for promotion.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Love 3
On 10/11/2022 at 9:12 PM, mojoween said:

Yes, on any show I dislike when the judges get to watch the contestants working. Sometimes they ding people for things that wouldn't have mattered if they didn't know about it.

Judge <with sad shake of head>: This is very good. Too bad you didn't get your candied bumble bee whisker sauce on the plate, it would have been excellent."

• Like 1
  • Love 5
31 minutes ago, Passing Strange said:

Yes, on any show I dislike when the judges get to watch the contestants working. Sometimes they ding people for things that wouldn't have mattered if they didn't know about it.

Judge <with sad shake of head>: This is very good. Too bad you didn't get your candied bumble bee whisker sauce on the plate, it would have been excellent."

I don't know if you ever watched the old Food Network Challenge, but Kerry Vincent, one of the judges, was famous for this.  She'd come up to a piece in progress and say, "Well, that doesn't look like a xyz to me," and then walk away.  No, of course it doesn't look like xyz, it isn't even half finished yet.  This used to bug the crap out of me, and I see Aarti doing the same thing on this show.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
46 minutes ago, Spunkygal said:

DVR alert! On Oct 28 beginning at 1 pm central time, Cooking Channel (not FN) will show season 2 in its entirety! Don’t miss this if you want to see true creativity and great execution.

Still the best final 2 displays in the show's history. Sadly, I don't get the Cooking Channel.

12 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

Still the best final 2 displays in the show's history. Sadly, I don't get the Cooking Channel.

Just google Halloween Wars season 2 and the episodes pop up with a watch button. This should not be illegal with the mods because one of the free options is Food Network GO when you press the watch button. It’s free!

Edited by Spunkygal
  • Useful 1

I thought tonight was the best episode of this season. The losing display was evident. Everyone seemed to enjoy the twist. It allowed the teams to get gory. Nice to see the contestants share our opinion of Zak.

• Love 4

This was a fun episode, even with that insufferable Zac. The displays were all well done, so it was fun to see. I also loved the theme, because when we pulled down the back porch of our house (to replace), built in 1920 on a little cove just far enough from Boston to be stealthy, we found under it a stash of jugs and other detritus that convinced us the owners at the time were smugglers and/or ran the neighborhood speakeasy. I'd have appreciated the theme anyway, but that added a little something for me. I'm happy with the result. 

Edited by Darian
  • Love 3

Rats. The losing display was pretty clear, but I still wish Squad Ghouls had stuck around. Hannah really seemed to be the MVP and I hope she shows up again down the line. I also liked the guy talking about how he had sculpted a hand before and scared his wife, "and I'm still feeling the repercussions from that." 😆 

I was astonished that they liked the seahorse better than the octopus (which I liked).  I thought the seahorse was a mess.  The red whatever coming out of its mouth didn't fit right and I didn't understand what the external carapace was supposed to be.  The octopus was monotone and somewhat understated but nicely done IMO.  

• Like 2
  • Love 5
11 hours ago, mlp said:

I was astonished that they liked the seahorse better than the octopus (which I liked).  I thought the seahorse was a mess.  The red whatever coming out of its mouth didn't fit right and I didn't understand what the external carapace was supposed to be.  The octopus was monotone and somewhat understated but nicely done IMO.  

Yeah, I thought the octopus was neater, but the judges really seemed to ooh and ahh over the seahorse, so I knew they weren't going anywhere. I guess they appreciated the imposing height and balance of it, and the technique involved in fitting the pumpkin carapace (which was supposed to be an exoskeleton) neatly over the cake interior, more so than the octopus that was just sort of hanging out low on the "ground".

I was hoping Hannah's cake would pull them through again, since the judges clearly liked hers the best, with not a single negative note. That's why I'm hoping Hannah will turn up on another baking show where she doesn't have to awkwardly force her cakes into a larger display...or be badgered by Zak. She played along well with that bit, though, to her credit.

1 hour ago, RoxiP said:

I thought the main criticism of the losing team was the twist - that he basically hid it behind other stuff.

That was definitely part of it, though I think the judges allowed for the fact that he had to do it over again in the final minutes. It also seemed like they didn't care for the color scheme - the octopus and the sand and the skulls and the twist creature were all more or less the same brown/orange color. The only variety was in the sugar coral - again, Hannah's work. The guy (sorry, Hannah is the only name I know) said he wanted to do more color but ran out of time because of having to remake the twist creature.

So I think that made their display less dynamic and striking in the eyes of the judges compared to the others, no matter how well-made the octopus was (which they credited them for) or how tasty their cake was.

Bullshit.  That seahorse sucked and didn’t even look like a seahorse.

I see from the commercials that Holiday Wars is staying ruined for another year, whoopee.

I don’t really care for either final team, but I thought the angler fish was really cool, so go that team, I guess.  Even though fish, octopi and seahorses have FUCKALL to do with Halloween.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

I want the pink haired lady to just shut up. Raspberries do not belong in eclairs. I'm sorry the macaron layer didn't work. That was a creative way to go. Prefer the skeleton to the rat. To get something that big to rotate is impressive. Happy it's over.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Shut up, Aarti.   She thought the details like the perfume bottle were nice but they didn't belong there?  What?!  These displays are all about the details.   Sugar work like that used to be applauded no it's "eeeww, why did you put that on there?"

Also, the pumpkins are a joke now.  I know they're supposed to be in the pieces but you couldn't tell most of the time.  And what the hell with the large pumpkins?   They're already hollowed out for them?   It's the finale, those should have been used as the focal point not cut up for a few pieces. 

How Food Network has fallen.  A trip to Paris after all that work?  Woo hoo.

• Like 2
  • Applause 4
  • Love 3

I'm glad the Ghostly Gals won, partly because I liked their display a bit better, but also because I've always kind of liked Monique (their pumpkin carver), and she's been on a couple of the other Halloween shows and hadn't won yet.

2 hours ago, HyeChaps said:

IIRC, Susanna has won a baking championship on her own.

And isn't Susanna married to Nacho, both a baking winner and host?

Susana has competed in several competitions (last season's Holiday Wars, first season of Best Baker in America, and second season of Spring Baking Championship), but didn't win any of those. She is married to Nacho, who won the 4th Spring BC and has been a judge on several shows.

I really hate how negative the judging is this season. They complained that the fashion model had accessories but would have complained if it didn’t. Of course a cake won’t taste exactly like an eclair or macaroon because it’s a cake! The right team won but I don’t think I will watch again with this format and negative focus.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

I really hate how negative the judging is this season. They complained that the fashion model had accessories but would have complained if it didn’t. Of course a cake won’t taste exactly like an eclair or macaroon because it’s a cake! The right team won but I don’t think I will watch again with this format and negative focus.

It was rather negative. And that thing about the flower looking like a poinsettia..... I didn't think so. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

This show has turned into Cake Wars with a little pumpkin thrown in.  The displays are not as interesting or impressive as the huge ones on the original show.  I miss Jonathan.  I like Eddie and Aarti fine but they're not right for this show.  Shinmin should stay.  Zac needs to go.  Actually, using Zac was OK in concept.  The problem is Zac himself and his self-promotion.  The TV thing might have worked with some more congenial personality.

Of the final two, I do think the right team won.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

It was rather negative. And that thing about the flower looking like a poinsettia..... I didn't think so. 

That one I actually kinda agreed with. Not necessarily that it looked just like a poinsettia, but it did give some poinsettia vibes, and more importantly didn't give Halloween vibes. It just looked like a nice floral hairpiece, and the eyeball in the center wasn't noticeable enough to be spooky.

The "ew background details" comment was very wtf, however. That's the kind of thing the judges always used to love, as long as they didn't become overwhelming or cluttered.

10 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

That one I actually kinda agreed with. Not necessarily that it looked just like a poinsettia, but it did give some poinsettia vibes, and more importantly didn't give Halloween vibes. It just looked like a nice floral hairpiece, and the eyeball in the center wasn't noticeable enough to be spooky.

The "ew background details" comment was very wtf, however. That's the kind of thing the judges always used to love, as long as they didn't become overwhelming or cluttered.

I didn't think poinsettia until Aarti mentioned it. I guess it could have been a bit more Halloween..... Maybe if the eyeball was more prominent or larger? 

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, libgirl2 said:

I didn't think poinsettia until Aarti mentioned it. I guess it could have been a bit more Halloween..... Maybe if the eyeball was more prominent or larger? 

Yeah, if they had done more with the eyeball, I'm sure it would have helped. Making it bigger, bloodshot, maybe some teeth or something to make the flower seem more like a creature. As it was, I thought the eyeball looked a bit like a grape.

The more the judges said "poinsettia" and "holiday", the more I thought they were going to summon Nancy Fuller, Beetlejuice-style.

Edited by tracyscott76
Missing an "it"
5 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

This really irked me because earlier in the show when she talked to the team, she asked if they thought they were doing enough since the other team had so much stuff.  Then it comes to final judging and...they have too much stuff?  

• Thanks 1
  • Love 5
14 minutes ago, hilaryvm said:

This really irked me because earlier in the show when she talked to the team, she asked if they thought they were doing enough since the other team had so much stuff.  Then it comes to final judging and...they have too much stuff?  

I do think Aarti's comment during the final judging was a headscratcher, but when she was talking to them mid-challenge, I believe she was referring to their relative lack of progress compared to the other team. As in, "the other team has their figure pretty much completely assembled on the display pedestal already, and you have just the runway base".

On 10/31/2022 at 1:35 PM, tracyscott76 said:

I do think Aarti's comment during the final judging was a headscratcher, but when she was talking to them mid-challenge, I believe she was referring to their relative lack of progress compared to the other team. As in, "the other team has their figure pretty much completely assembled on the display pedestal already, and you have just the runway base".

I wish the judges wouldn't butt in while the contestants are working on their projects.  It must be distracting and nerve-racking for the bakers and the special tips could give the teams an unfair advantage over the others because a judge provided "expert opinion" or critique.  Judges talking among themselves is fine.

Zak needs to leave the building (and the inside of the TV) and go hang out in the catacombs.  His personality would fit right in there.

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2

Anyone see Jonathan has a new hosting gig? Tonight on Food Network he's on a new show called Battle of the Decades. His hair is a little different and the clothing threw me off. But the voice was unmistakable. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
On 8/16/2023 at 6:31 PM, Grizzly said:

Anyone see Jonathan has a new hosting gig? Tonight on Food Network he's on a new show called Battle of the Decades. His hair is a little different and the clothing threw me off. But the voice was unmistakable. 

I watched it.  It wasn't bad.

• Like 1

I am both delighted and relieved to see that Jonathan is back but the backgrounds in those pictures makes me think they're still going to be doing smaller creations than in the original shows despite the return of pumpkin carvers.  I hope I'm wrong. 

I don't understand why FN has Aarti judging this show.  I like her but she's not a baker.  I'd rather see a pastry chef or someone fun like Charles Phoenix.

• Like 3

The real question is: have they dropped the tie-in with Zak Bagans' show? I didn't despise him as much as some, but the set-ups for the challenges went on too long and were a bit forced.