Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: City Of Heroes

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Scientist Barry Allen acquires super speed through a freak accident and becomes known as the Fastest Man Alive. In the opener, Barry, a CSI investigator, is struck by lightning and awakens from a coma nine months later with the gift of super speed. Barry puts his new powers to work when another meta-human attacks the city.
  • Love 1

I, uh, time travelled to the future to watch this over the summer, and I really enjoyed it.

After Arrow really improved over it's first two seasons, I'm hoping this one hits the ground running (pardon the pun).

Me too. The world of October 7th was truly a wonder to behold, yet somehow I don't appreciate it as much today as I did a couple months ago.

Like any show of this type, there is nitpicking to be done if one would like to do so.  But I thought it was brisk, fun, and a heck of a good TV show for a pilot.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how they build off of this episode.

I think the two strongest things about the episode for me were the tone and the likability of the main character and at least a couple of the support characters.  I came out of it really liking Barry, which is super important for The Flash as the comic book flash is really likable, and I am intrigued by at least two of the other key players already.  If the writing keeps it up, I have a lot of hope that we could have a show with a really good stable of characters.

And that's all I really need to keep me interested.  Well, strong characters and maybe some cool fake science mumbo-jumbo, some neat special effects, and lots of pretty people. But mostly strong characters.

• Like 1
  • Love 6
Like any show of this type, there is nitpicking to be done if one would like to do so.  But I thought it was brisk, fun, and a heck of a good TV show for a pilot.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how they build off of this episode.

Speaking of nitpicks, in the previews they keep showing the Flash grabbing a guy before a car explodes (in a cool super slo-mo sequence) -- only problem is that speeds the Flash travels at, he would rip the guys arm off, because .... you know .... basic physics.  Plus all the people he seems to save would have such traumatic brain injuries from the sudden acceleration that they would all either be in a vegetative state or dead.

• Love 8

he would rip the guys arm off, because .... you know .... basic physics.  Plus all the people he seems to save would have such traumatic brain injuries from the sudden acceleration that they would all either be in a vegetative state or dead.

Worst. Hero. Ever.

• Love 10

in the previews they keep showing the Flash grabbing a guy before a car explodes (in a cool super slo-mo sequence) -- only problem is that speeds the Flash travels at, he would rip the guys arm off, because .... you know .... basic physics.

In the comics, the speed force that enables him to run so fast can also extend to things close to him, which would work like the interial dampeners on Star Trek.  (Which doesn't solve the physics problem as much as it moves the problem around.  But knowing someone else thought of that is helpful.)

• Love 6
In the comics, the speed force that enables him to run so fast can also extend to things close to him, which would work like the interial dampeners on Star Trek.  (Which doesn't solve the physics problem as much as it moves the problem around.  But knowing someone else thought of that is helpful.)

I haven't even addressed the issue of frictional forces or objects in their path -- while Barry's suit and speed force seems to protect him from most things, anyone he carries wouldn't be protected.

Have you ever been driving down the road in a doing 65+ with the windows down, with your hands, arm or feet hanging slightly outside the window in the breeze and you get hit by a bumble bee ?  Hurts like a MFer.   Can you just imagine the same thing happening at 400 mph ? Or other things in the Flash's path like stones, or road debris kicked up by other vehicles ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

I really enjoyed that.  Nice to see DC can actually still have some fun.

Nice shoutout to a future villain with Grodd escaping.

Are you guys ready for Eddie Thawne to kill Detective West (he's still Joshua Exley to me) at the end of the season?  You know that's where they're going.  Just more punishment for Barry, and this time Iris.

Edited by Chip
maybe spoilers?
  • Love 1

I just absolutely adored this. Barry is just freaking adorable, and has that Captain America Big Damn Hero vibe. I love it.

My absolute favorite part of this episode was the detective, Joe West, finding out right away that Barry had powers; that just made the episode for me. Not dragging out the big secret was wonderfully refreshing.

Edited by mustbekarma
  • Love 15

I took a look at Arrow after it showed up on Netflix only because Greg Berlanti was involved and I loved Everwood - I had absolutely no interest in comic book heroes. Well, I loved it. And tonight I watched Flash for the same reason. Loved it as well. I'm not sure if it turns out I love comic book heroes after all, or if I just love Greg Berlanti. Either way though it's great to have another entertaining show.

• Love 1

Excellent pilot. I wasn't sure GG could carry a show but he proved me wrong. Really liked the characters and thought they did a good job on casting. Jesse L Martin was great but he was basically Detective Green (loved him on L & O)

I just had a feeling Wells was shady, shame though.

Only complaint was the Arrow cameo, I get what they were going for (epic superhero meeting) but OMG it was cheesy...so bad.

• Love 4

Loved it. The special effects were excellent for a tv show. 

I don't watch Arrow, so can someone explain how Arrow and Barry know each other?

IT's really simple. Barry helped  Arrow out once on Arrow (he's a scientist) and he was a huge fan of the Arrow. He found out Oliver's secret identity when he had to help save his life. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1

Ugh. I felt like I was watching Smallville 2.0.

Iris=Lana

Metahumans=Meteor Freaks

Lab guy and girl=Pete and Chloe

Even having old Flash guy as Barry's dad is very Smallville-y.

The mystery of who/what killed his Mom will be interesting.

I never read the comics, but didn't they pretty much allude to fake wheelchair guy as being the one?

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 7

I wonder if that last bit at the very end is a reference Crisis on Infinite Earths?  Which would mean....NO!  I LIKE BARRY!  HE'S CUTE!

One thing that surprised me was how fast (no pun intended) Jesse L. Martin's character caught on to Barry being the Flash.  Always nice to have a high-ranking police officer as an ally.

And, yeah, it's pretty obvious Tom Cavanagh's character is Professor Zoom/The Reverse-Flash.

Edited by Chip
comic book spoilers
  • Love 1

Iris=Lana

Metahumans=Meteor Freaks

I'm not disagreeing with you necessarily, but Iris's personality isn't really like Lana's and I think she's BArry's best friend which isn't really like Lana in the beginning of Smalville at least. But I get the "unrequited crush" aspect. 

I never read the comics, but didn't they pretty much allude to fake wheelchair guy as being the one?

It could be but I don't think they would reveal it in the first episode. 

Edited by ban1o
  • Love 1
Guest Accused Dingo

I liked this as far as pilots go. I agree you could nitpick but it looks like a fun ride. I like most of the characters.

• Love 1
And, yeah, it's pretty obvious Tom Cavanagh's character is

Professor Zoom/The Reverse-Flash.

It could be misdirection and they may have some plot twist in mind.  Wells obviously has access to data from the future and in the comics

Reverse-Flash came from the future. However, Iris' cop boyfriend is named Thawne, the family name of the comics' Reverse-Flash. They probably switched a few things around and the situation may turn out to be somewhat less obvious than what we are led to believe from that secret room scene at Star Labs.

Edited by Chip
comic book spoilers
  • Love 1
And, yeah, it's pretty obvious Tom Cavanagh's character is

Professor Zoom/The Reverse-Flash.

Maybe just maybe, he's a

grown up Bart

.  He's came back in time to try to get Barry on the path to being The Flash and prevent his death somehow.

Edited by Chip
comic book spoilers
  • Love 2

However,

Iris' cop boyfriend is named Thawne, the family name of the comics' Reverse-Flash

. They probably switched a few things around and the situation may turn out to be somewhat less obvious than what we are led to believe from that secret room scene at Star Labs.

I didn't catch that!  Good ears, Florinaldo.

Maybe just maybe, he's

a grown up Bart.  He's came back in time to try to get Barry on the path to being The Flash and prevent his death somehow.

Tom Cavanagh better not be Bart.  Bart's cute and Tom Cavanagh has weird cheekbones.

Edited by Chip
cb spoilers

Yeah, I didn't want to spoil anything past the pilot in my post, but

the show's Wikipedia page (which of course we can all take with the requisite grain of salt) lists Thawne as "based on Professor Zoom." There are also several guest stars listed along with their secret identities.

• Love 2

Yeah, I didn't want to spoil anything past the pilot in my post, but

the show's Wikipedia page (which of course we can all take with the requisite grain of salt) lists Thawne as "based on Professor Zoom." There are also several guest stars listed along with their secret identities.

wikipedia is just going by the last name. It wouldn't know. I don't know if you watch Arrow but initially everyone (including Wikipedia) thought Tommy would be the dark archer because his last name was Merlyn but then he wasn't (it was his dad)

• Love 2

Ah okay, so it's probably safe to assume that we know very little, then.

Other than the pilot, I only watched the two Arrow episodes relevant to this one, but I'm starting in again with S3.

Edited by John Ramos

So is Reverse Flash also known as Slow Motion Man?

Guess I have to do some Googling and bring myself up to speed! LOL

Good one, Pepper.

It would be interesting if Reverse Flash had motion slowing powers, but no, he has super-speed.  He's just called Reverse Flash because he has the same powers as The Flash and is evil and wears yellow instead of red.

Me?  I'm just hoping they don't bring in Golden Glider.  No, really.  The Flash had a villain called Golden Glider.  Go look her up and wonder what they were thinking.

• Love 2

Hmm, I thought it was a pretty good pilot.  I like that it was different from Arrow's.  If Arrow's pilot (and early episodes) felt like it was going for Chris Nolan's Batman films, this felt like it was more Sam Raimi's Spider-man films.  Some family drama and tragedy, but also some decent humor and thrill from Barry over getting the power.  Including his hilarious first attempt at speed-running!

I also like that they already established a group for Barry to hang out with.  Already liking Cisco and Caitlin (Danielle Panabaker!!), and I'm looking forward to getting more of both of them.  Not surprised though that Wells is up to no good.  I'm guessing the final scene was hinting that he was the one that killed Barry's mom?

What did surprised me was what they did with Joe.  I was unspoiled and don't really know much about The Flash lore, so him already being in the know it cool, and will avoid the cliche of Barry hiding it from him.  Of course, he's making him not tell Iris, so that will still be happening, but I'll take it.  Loved Jesse L. Martin.  A few of his line deliveries in the cop scenes totally reminded me of his Green from Law & Order.

That said, the weakest moment was easily the Barry/Ollie scene.  It was way too cheesy, and I couldn't buy that the Ollie that I've seen on Arrow, would ever, ever deliver half of those silly lines.  I hope they smooth that out, when the big cross-over happens.

Besides that, I'm optimistic

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 2

I really enjoyed The Flash pilot.  It was a lot of fun and good FX.  Nice to see the original Flash John Wesley Shipp too.  GG is good in the role despite his wimpy voice.  Pleasantly surprised to see that Barry won't be hiding his secret identity from Joe.  Looks like a good group of characters.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3

I liked it. It was a lot of fun, except, as others have mentioned, the Arrow cameo. Though I did laugh when the show went to dark and broody colors over in Starling City. Way to be subtle about the difference between the two shows.

Anyway, more important stuff.

1. Iris, sigh. I see Flash is repeating the issue Arrow had of having the main love interest left out of the secret, complete with cop father. Sigh. On the bright side, at least the cop father knows the secret, a plus, and Iris so far at least seems likeable enough, and they haven't saddled her and Barry with the toxic backstory from hell. Seeing Barry just as a friend, not as a love interest, is a valid barrier between the two, and I'll buy that.

What I'm not buying is why they didn't just tell Iris.  As she said in the pilot, she's basically family. I get why Oliver Queen kept his identity a secret; he spent the first season running around killing people, and at the end of his pilot, no one knew.  I don't get why Barry is keeping his from Iris - at the end of his pilot, five people know, and he hasn't killed anyone. Plus, Oliver's had a hard enough time just hiding the vigilante stuff; how exactly is Barry going to hide his powers from Iris? 

2. So far, I like Barry with either Iris or Caitlin, so bring on the shipping wars.  (Note to self: never go near Tumblr again.)

3. Really liked Cisco - that attitude is going to be a lot of fun.

4. So, we're meant to infer that a big intelligent gorilla is running around this city and no one has noticed? 

Tuesday nights should be a lot of superhero fun, though, please, CW, end the show on time in the future. I need a few seconds to change the channel over to ABC.

• Love 4

The potential love interest seems much more likeable than Laurel on Arrow as well.

That's funny -- Iris' perky/happy facial expressions and mannerisms reminded me very much Laurel's cutesy smile, especially at the beginning. It sort of distracted me -- maybe the actresses have similarly-shaped faces.

I really liked this. I intended to watch just so I'd be caught up for the crossover, but this was enjoyable in it's own right. I like that it's lighter than Arrow. And while there is a similar cast of characters (requisite team, love interest, parental issue, villian hiding in plain sight), they can go in so many different directions than the ones Arrow employed. This should be a fun ride!

• Love 1

So far, so fast. Barry is a big ol' dork, just like Peter Parker, but he's oddly loveable. I'm hoping the fun holds out over time . . . not that I hate Arrow, but Felicity and the salmon ladder can only mask the grim 'n' gritty for so long.

Speaking of Felicity . . . how does she fit in Barry's world? Apparently, he's been pining for Iris forever, so it's kinda like Felicity is the "other woman," and that's not right. I like the chemistry between Iris and Barry  .. . and I think it's an interesting status quo for them to be virtual siblings. I'm not thrilled by the recent comics canon being imported about Barry's mother being killed through mysterious circumstances.

Pleasantly shocked by Joe West finding out about Barry right away. Downright shocked that Disgraced Doctor has news of Barry's future. I'm surprised that the show will last ten years, even if Smallville and Supernatural set the tone for CW shows. And yeah . . . the idea of Gorilla Grodd running around Central City makes me oddly giddy. Damn, any Rogue would be welcomed on this show . ..  even Golden Glider. And maybe Rainbow Raider, if the show runs out of ideas after four seasons.

• Love 5

Iris=Lana

Metahumans=Meteor Freaks

Even having old Flash guy as Barry's dad is very Smallville-y.

Yeah... the entire pilot raised so many Smallvillesque red flags, I was really frustrated with the whole endeavour. And i'm really afraid that, once the pilot's added budget is gone, the show will be using the usual blurry close-ups, offscreen disappearances, 30 seconds villains & sub-par sfx that Smalville used to use in order to get under budget.

Count me in!  I love the lightheartness of it and the complete contrast of other superhero shows.  I like Grant Gustin when he was being a prick on Glee but he's so adorable here!  My inner-fangirl might have squeelled really loud when the original Flash showed up.

I'm so glad that they had Joe West find out right away.  I don't need a repeat of Arrow on that one.

I do agree that the weakest part of the Barry/Oliver scene.  Uber-cheesy.  That being said, I'm super excited for the crossover episodes.

(Note to self: never go near Tumblr again.)

I know!!  I vow never going there again after seeing the Avengers shipping wars they have going on there.

• Love 3

I liked it!

I was wondering how they would introduce him in his show after having been introduced to him over on Arrow.  The tweaks to the timeline worked to the Pilot's advantage. We needed to see "normal" Barry before we got the supercharged version.

I think not telling Iris is supposed to be tied up in her father's OVER protectiveness that led to him NOT letting her be a cop and even being mad at her for walking around on the street? 

Of course Iris would be dating Officer Prettyboy by the time Barry got out of his coma.  I am pleased that I don't have anything to dislike about Iris so far.  I think making her his best friend will really help keep her relevant to the future story lines.

I think they got the emotion right between Barry and his dad and also between Barry and Detective West.  Very grounding for the characters.

I also liked that Barry ran to Starling City when he was freaking out and needed people he knew would believe him.  Oliver was a bit out of character, way too upbeat and optimistic but he IS supposed to be having a really great summer.  Maybe this is happy Oliver in the Calm before everything hits the fan?  That's the way I spun it in my head at least. 

I was unspoiled beyond the Arrow stuff so Well and his secret room and special newspaper surprised me.  Mystery!!   

There was one moment when I got Smallville flashbacks, when the camera is in front of him running in place and everything is all blurry around him.  It's really not a good effect but Barry Allen is worlds away from Emo Clark so I think if this is like Smallville, it will be an improved version. 

• Love 2

I loved the chemistry of the first 15 minutes the same way I fell for Roswell so many years ago, so when I read that it was directed by David Nutter (as were the first 2 episodes of Roswell) it felt like a flashback to an old love affair that went south. But Jessie L. Martin's tearful bonding with Grant Gustin towards the end gave me hope that his show will retain its heart.

And yes, Grant Gustin is totally channeling Christopher Gorham's Jake 2.0, whether accidentally or on purpose. If they aren't secretly related through adoption into different families or sperm donor, they should be.

It would be interesting if Reverse Flash had motion slowing powers, but no, he has super-speed.  He's just called Reverse Flash because he has the same powers as The Flash and is evil and wears yellow instead of red.

You mean Tim Cananaugh's refreshingly not villainous character isn't Mr. Rogers/Nice Guy after all? Not shocking, but disappointing.

I really enjoyed it.  Much more light hearted than Arrow. 

So far, at least.
  • Love 5

Speaking of Felicity . . . how does she fit in Barry's world? Apparently, he's been pining for Iris forever, so it's kinda like Felicity is the "other woman," and that's not right. I like the chemistry between Iris and Barry  .. . and I think it's an interesting status quo for them to be virtual siblings. I'm not thrilled by the recent comics canon being imported about Barry's mother being killed through mysterious circumstances.

I think since Iris has completely friend-zoned him, he just had a crush on Felicity. I mean the guy can't just sit there pining all the time lol. 

All in all, I liked it.  It had a lighter tone than most of DC's cinematic output lately, but still managed to have just enough gravitas to keep it from being mindless fluff.  If it manages to keep that tone up, I'm in for the long haul.

I'm a sucker for a good easter egg, too, and they didn't disappoint.  Loved the busted gorilla cage labelled "Grodd", and all the Crisis references in the future newspaper.  I also thought it was a nice touch that his first slowed-time moment involved a waitress spilling a tray of food.  Great callback to his first appearance in the comics.

• Love 2

I liked it. Some pilot-itis: too much 'stuff' jammed in to the 44 minutes, plenty of heavy handed dialogue with massive information drops. But I like most of the actors (completely delighted to see Jesse L. Martin on my screen again, and I'm liking Grant Gustin in the lead), and the tone (mix of humour, warmth and darker drama) was great. Shows lots of promise. I'm definitely sticking around.

Are you guys ready for

Eddie Thawne to kill Detective West (he's still Joshua Exley to me) at the end of the season?

Noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Edited by Big Bad Wolf
  • Love 1

I really liked it.  I was a little iffy after the somewhat average cameos on Arrow, but whatever didn't click on the characters for me then has gone now.  I don't think there's any weak characters so far.  I think comparing Iris to Lana is really unfair and almost entirely pre-judging her based on characters from other shows.  I thought it really came across that Iris and Bazza (sorry, couldn't help myself - I'm pretty sure its Australian Law to nickname someone named Barry, 'Bazza') were childhood friends, far more than say Oliver and Laurel on Arrow or Bruce Wayne and Rachel Dawes in Batman Begins.

They captured the feel of The Flash from the comics really well.  I think alot of that is due to Geoff Johns involvement in the production though, considering he's one of DC's most prolific writers for The Flash in recent years.  Hopefully he stays attached to the show. 

Hmm, I thought it was a pretty good pilot.  I like that it was different from Arrow's.  If Arrow's pilot (and early episodes) felt like it was going for Chris Nolan's Batman films, this felt like it was more Sam Raimi's Spider-man films.

It seems pretty clear to me that they are intentionally paralleling the Batman/Superman dynamic from the comics with Arrow and The Flash.  Arrow is the brooding, street-level vigilante trying to save a corrupt city while The Flash is the bright hope that can uplift the citizens with larger than life heroics.  I fully expect a "Arrow/The Flash: World's Finest" crossover at some point.  I think it feels right for the characters too - The Flash and Superman could certainly be considered to be cut from the same mold.  Olivier Queen in the comics is a fair bit different to Olivier Queen from the TV show, but Arrow's Olivier is a good stand in for Batman. 

• Love 4

I do not think it is safe to assume who is who in the show relative to the comics. Remember that in Arrow Laurel Lance is a wimp, Dinah Lance is her mother and Black Canary is actually Sara Lance, her sister. Sara did, however, passed the Black Canary costume to Laurel.

Speaking of Arrow, I am a bit disappointed with the amount of crossover. Just less than 2 minutes. For starter, did Oliver not own STAR Labs? Was it not part of Queen Consolidated? And no mention of Felicity at all? Did she not say that she went to Central City to visit Barry in the hospital?

• Love 1