Type keyword(s) to search

S19.E06: Week 4: Most Memorable Year

• Start Topic

EDIT. Okay bringing it back to show content. Oh no, is Sadie's dance about her grandfather's awful comments? Don't erode my like for you Sadie!

I'll give Sadie a lot of credit for acknowledging the elephant in the room.  As many have posted, she's very young and sheltered to have a great tragedy in her past, but you know her grandpa's comments were highly controversial and have earned Sadie herself a lot of vitriol just because she's a Duck.  Good for her for facing it head-on.

• Love 8

I'll give Sadie a lot of credit for acknowledging the elephant in the room.  As many have posted, she's very young and sheltered to have a great tragedy in her past, but you know her grandpa's comments were highly controversial and have earned Sadie herself a lot of vitriol just because she's a Duck.  Good for her for facing it head-on.

Yeah, I guess. I've just been enjoying Sadie as her own person, and I'd rather see her be able to stand on her own, than continue to be an extension of the dudes in her family. Especially at 17 - if this is her breakout moment, this should be a moment she gets the stage to herself. 

• Love 4

Tommy Chong = Cool + Adorable.  I just love that he was playing air guitar to an Ariana Grande song.  Thank you, Tommy, for making that song way more cool with your air guitar.

And I wonder if Jordan Belfort (the Wolf of Wall Street) is in the audience tonight -- he was Tommy's cellie!  

• Love 2

Finally someone scored all 10s who deserved it.

I actually thought America’s scoring wasn’t that bad overall … with one big exception.  Can someone explain to me how Antonio deserved the same score as Janel, Sadie, Lea, and even Bethany?

I also thought the judges scored Antonio a bit high.  Otherwise they were okay.  Perhaps Bethany’s were a bit low, but then she was scored high last week.

Edited to add that here is a link to the Badie Show for those of us who live outside the US.  Those girls really are funny.

Edited by viajero
  • Love 2

To me they saved the very best of the night for last, thank god it got a 40 after what happened last week. I adored that performance. I could have watched it again and again a hundred times in a row.

It was Jazz, it was Broadway, it was light and airy and technically sound, it was probably the best Carlton he's done and it was sheer happiness on a dance floor. Alfonso seems to be such a sweet soul and it makes sense now why I enjoyed him so much as an actor because it appears that as a person he's pretty darn spectacular.

Tommy is a hoss, I just can't with him, he's too cool for words, heh.

• Love 16

I'm going to go watch Castle, but I just have to say first: that is such bullshit. Betsey leaves before Michael? No way. That is fan voting, not on skill, that's for sure. Betsey has more grace and rhythm than him, any day, plus she's fun (and not skeevy like he often is). I'm so annoyed by this. Such bullshit.

• Love 14

Can't believe Betsey left over Michael. I'll miss Betsey - seriously impressive what she's done and I looked forward to seeing her every week. Michael, not so much...

Alfonso was joy personified and Lea's dance was truly touching and beautiful. Wish she had gotten that perfect score.

Just me, or did it seem like the bird feathers on Sadie's arms were awfully good at covering up any deficiencies or gangliness?

• Love 2

Now that I have finally stopped sobbing over Lea, her story and that dance, I can go back to watch it. (I lost my Dad to cancer in April 2010 and some days, the grief is as fresh as if it were yesterday). It was exquisite,

The top dancers are really starting to separate themselves. Lea, Alphonso, Janel, Bethany, and Sadie are really showing much improvement and technique. Tommy is showing improvement but the Jive tonight exposed some of his weakness.

Can we please lose Michael, Antonio, and Jonathon next? Minimal to no improvement, wooden dancing. Ugh.

Loved Sadie and Mark tonight.

• Love 6

The Carlton dance wins at life.  The room ERUPTED when he busted it out and danced along with him.  I get his love/hate relationship he had with the character but he learned to embrace it.  

Betsey being booted early, not so much.  Seriously who is voting for Michael?

• Love 18

Welcome to Weep Week! 

I really felt for Jonathon--when he was critiqued for "only doing 1 move...being 1 dimensional." Could that be because Alison is not that familiar with ballroom/teaching?  I may be wrong but I think she could give him more to do and he could probably handle it. 

Used all my votes for Tommy. 

Great, another week of Michael Waltripping all over the floor.   

Edited by gryphon
  • Love 1

Alfonso, Sadie and Lea were the best tonight. Lea should have gotten a 40 for her dance. Alfonsos dance was pitch perfect and proves shows exactly why Janel and Bethany didn't deserve their 40's last week. I'm going to miss Tony and Betsey. Michael Waltrip is just hard to watch and enjoy so I want him gone yesterday. Julianne crying after Bethany and Dereks dance was a little much. What was scary was that Bruno was the sane judge tonight. Carrie Ann and Julianne are so hard to watch and they look ridiculous. 

• Love 3

Dammit...I had a feeling it would be Betsey. Damn you Nascar fans. Micheal is never leaving. Great...

I actually agreed with a lot of Julianne's comment and especially liked her calling Derek out on lack of content because honestly, half of that rumba felt more like a contemporary to me. And what rumba there was, was not that great. I like the message of Bethany's dance and I definitely feel like she was open and vulnerable this week and it wasn't overdone where it felt like she was faking but Derek is going to have start cracking the whip on technique. Bethany's biggest problem is that she's not finishing her movements. It's funny but I feel like a lot of what the judges said about Antonio, could have applied to her. She needs to fill in the spaces, extend all the way, move her hips all the way around. Her movements all felt a bit unfinished tonight. But I did love the message of the dance and Colbie Caillait sounded gorgeous. 

Janel's dance was good and she definitely had the technique down but I felt it was a bit manic and I was left honestly kind of cold...like I felt no passion or real romance and chemistry with the number. I actually agreed with the scores and thought 9's were fair. Her hip action was gorgeous though. My, my Sadie is quite the little natural performer isn't she. I agreed with Julianne again that Mark did a great job of blending character/concept with actual content because that had a lot of Samba content in it and she performed the heck out of it. Wasn't perfect but pretty darn close.

That said, two things - one, someone needs to get Mark some help for his costume fetish. It's ridiculous now. Two, I wonder how viewers will react to this with so much emphasis on her grandfather and the family and his comments. From what I heard, the ratings took a massive nosedive after his comments, so people were clearly annoyed. Probably explains why "America" gave them a 9 - there were probably a bunch of 10's and a bunch of really low scores that averaged to 9. 

I think Jonathan got hosed having Allison as a Pro. I loved Alison from SYTYCD and I have tried to give her a chance but I just don't think she's cutting it with Jonathan and rather than improving he seems to be getting worse. Tommy was awesome and I loved Bruno calling Peta rough. That's what I've been saying for many seasons now. Peta is a VERY aggressive dancer and it's why her moves always look extra sexy and explicit because coupled with her usual barely there costumes, it's often comes across as very over the top. I am loving her partnership with Tommy though. 

Alfonso brought out the Carlton and it was well worth it. I liked a lot of the small synchronized touches in the number and the flirty, fun chemistry between him and Witney. As I finished this post, I realized I all but forgot Lea's performance which I don't know what that says about her. Her story was beautiful, the dance was nice and emotional, the judges all seemed to love it but I didn't really feel much for it moments after it was over. Finally, props to Tom making the joke about Antonio's shirtless tribute to his mother. Only on DWTS. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 7

Not a huge fan of the death talk and weeping. Can the struggle on the show be about fatigue, dance steps and costumes?

I let out a NOOOOOOOO for Betsey. She was so fun to watch. Class act too and zowza what legs!

Carlton dance FTW...and amazed to see so many pros doing it awkwardly. Ha!

• Love 4

It's interesting to me, but I find Sadie a way more natural performer than a lot of the performers in this competition that actually act/sing/perform for a living.   Why do I feel like we could be seeing a final two of Sadie and Alfonso?

I wish Jonathan had gotten Emma.  I feel bad for him at this point because it's honestly not really his fault.  It's all on Allison.

I'm not sure when I fell in love with Witney, but it happened.  I'm glad to see her having her breakout season.  

Edited by spanana
  • Love 7

I am figuring out what is going on with Jonathan: Alison.  She is waaaaay out of her league in this dance; her arms her so stiff and knees are too sharp.  Did Lacey kidnap someone's maltipoo to be backballed from this show?

Also I had to laugh at Julianne's "It was a strong, powerful message...I'm crying Derek!  BTW, it lacked rumba!" it's about time he got called out on the contemporary partially masked as a rumba.  

Finally I rarely cry watching this show.  Lea though...no, YOU have something in your eye! (sobs.)  I

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 3

I really felt for Jonathon--when he was critiqued for "only doing 1 move...being 1 dimensional." Could that be because Alison is not that familiar with ballroom/teaching?  I may be wrong but I think she could give him more to do and he could probably handle it. 

This. Alison had no Samba bounce. Alison looked sloppy and frantic. How can Jonathan dance well when his partner doesn't know what she's doing? I hope next week the switch-up reveals that Alison is the problem with that partnership and the show never again uses a non-ballroom dancer for a pro. Give Alison Michael where she can't to any damage and give Jonathan Cheryl or Emma who will actually teach him more than three steps. 

Quick thoughts about the night. I actually agreed with a lot of Julianne's comment and especially liked her calling Derek out on lack of content because honestly, half of that rumba felt more like a contemporary to me. And what rumba there was, was not that great. I like the message of Bethany's dance and I definitely feel like she was open and vulnerable this week and it wasn't overdone where it felt like she was faking but Derek is going to have start cracking the whip on technique. Bethany's biggest problem is that she's not finishing her movements. It's funny but I feel like a lot of what the judges said about Antonio, could have applied to her. She needs to fill in the spaces, extend all the way, move her hips all the way around. Her movements all felt a bit unfinished tonight. But I did love the message of the dance and Colbie Caillait sounded gorgeous. 

Its weird to be proud of someone for just doing their job but I was so proud on all the judges for calling out Derek for the rumba. It lacked content and I'm so impressed that they acknowledged the emotion but then critiqued the choreography. Also, I don't get Derek and the rumba. He has never been good at teaching his partners the rumba. So many of his partners have lacked hip action in the rumba. Shannon Elizabeth is the most obvious example, but it was true for Maria, for Brooke, Joanna, Kellie, Ricki, Shawn, and now Bethany. I don't get how he fails at this again and again. Its just a weird pattern in his teaching and I don'd understand how after 14 seasons he doesn't work on it since he knows that the judges look for it.

I loved Alfonso! It was such a great dance. Obviously the Carlton part was perfect, but I really loved some of the side by side work they did. Alfonso has great technique and a lovely quality of movement. For someone who came on the show to lose weight, he's very light on his feet.

Sadie impressed. Maybe because all the other sambas were crap, but hers stood out for having the right feel, the bounce and some really strong side by side work. She doesn't need to cling to Mark to produce something special and that's a great sign. Lea and Janel were also really strong.

• Love 7

I feel bad for Jonathan because Alison is truly the worst. Just bad.

As much as I enjoyed Betsey, I'm ok with her leaving. It was really beyond her at this point. Of course Michael should have left first, but clearly NASCAR fans..... I'll just not finish that sentence.

Still completely digging Tommy. Love. Really enjoyed Lea but did expect her to do well with this dance given her ballet background.

And my fav, Alfonso. Just grinned through the entire dance.

Edited by TiredMe
  • Love 2

Wow just wow..I said yesterday my fear was that there wouldnt be enough Jazz content if the focus was going to be on The Carlton but they NAILED it.  Just incredible.  I was watching that with such a huge smile on my face and Alfonso just looks so effortless when he moves.   I needed that after so many sad stories.  Did anyone else catch Jonathan's pissed off face after the dance? It went by fast but I thought at quick glance he looked annoyed.

Huge props to Mark as well for his choreography.  He too did a great, great job of incorporating Sadie's story with the Samba.

• Love 4

Did anyone else catch Jonathan's pissed off face after the dance? It went by fast but I thought at quick glance he looked annoyed.

I didn't see that, but there certainly was no missing Allison's giant scowl for the remainder of the evening. Bad choreography and bad attitude - what a catch she is!

• Love 4

The highlight of the night for me was the Carlton dance, I had to rewind and watch again just for that alone, also loved the dance.

Allison was horrible in the samba, I didn't even watch Jonathan just her and *shudder*

Mark's costume was atrocious.

• Love 6

I'm so glad they commented on Derek's dance. I thought it was contemporary until my daughter told me it was supposed to be a rumba. Poor Jonathan. That was horrible and the start with the Mean Girls thing...just...BAD. 

Loved, loved, loved Sadie and Alfonso. Such joy. 

• Love 2

Does anybody know how the switch up voting is going?  I'm afraid that Alfonso is going to get saddled with Allison and muck him up for the week.  I'd rather see him with Cheryl or someone that will at least teach him technique.

I'm also laughing about Sadie saying in that video that Val intimidates her, because now that Betsey is out that is likely who she's getting.

I know they commented on Bethany and Derek's dance not having enough rumba in it, but Derek knew.  He pretty much admitted that in his blog.  Just be glad Len wasn't there.  He probably would've given it a 7.  Julianne was too much with the tears, though.  Come on now.

• Love 1

Does anybody know how the switch up voting is going?  I'm afraid that Alfonso is going to get saddled with Allison and muck him up for the week.  I'd rather see him with Cheryl or someone that will at least teach him technique.

I'm also laughing about Sadie saying in that video that Val intimidates her, because now that Betsey is out that is likely who she's getting.

I was actually looking at Twitter a little while ago to see how the switch-up voting is going and by far the biggest votes seems to be Bethany & Mark and Lea & Derek.  The most common vote I saw for Alfonso is Cheryl. I did see a lot of Sadie and Val votes so its a possibility.

I was actually looking at Twitter a little while ago to see how the switch-up voting is going and by far the biggest votes seems to be Bethany & Mark and Lea & Derek.  The most common vote I saw for Alfonso is Cheryl. I did see a lot of Sadie and Val votes so its a possibility.

All of those pairings sound good to me. I just don't want Alison to get someone Alfonso and would love to see her saddled with Michael. Also, I'd love to see Janel and Artem. I don't know why, but I think it would be an interesting pairing. 

Huge props to Mark as well for his choreography.  He too did a great, great job of incorporating Sadie's story with the Samba.

I feel like ever since Mark got Bristol for the second time, he's really mellowed out and become so much more tolerable. His choreography this season has been amazing and he's doing a great job of highlighting Sadie rather than stealing the spotlight for himself. Seeing the costumes when they were standing in the skybox had me really worried but Mark put together something full of content, fun and funny and that really was all about Sadie. I used to really hate Mark, but he's winning me over by actually doing good work.

• Love 9

I'm pretty sure Val was going to get Betsey if she had stayed in the competition, but now that she's out I'm expecting Lea/Derek, Sadie/Val, Bethany/Mark and I guess that leaves Janel/Artem.  Unless of course TPTB play with the votes.  I really hope Cheryl gets Alfonso because Allison should only be allowed to be paired with Michael.

Mark has really done a good job the last few seasons.  First with Candace, who wasn't always easy, and now with Sadie.  He's definitely mellowed out or finally figured out that it's not supposed to be all about him.   Either way I agree he's become way more tolerable.  I used to hate him and now not so much.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 3

That Duck Samba was a hot mess I was shocked that anyone could think that was in anyway good. Even beginners know that it was hurky jerky, not smooth,  terrible feet, weird legs, just ass shaking not Samba hip action.  There was no proper Samba bounce because her feet were so wide apart a tractor could drive through. The idea of her defending Grandpa makes my skin crawl.  There's lots of kids who know better and can say they love their parents or grandparents, just not what they say, but this felt like she defends racism and homophobia.  Ugh. It  Just sucked all the air out of the room for me.  His words were just too horrible to be treated so dismissively on a silly dance show.  

• Love 21

I don't really mind Michael Waltrip, but I, too, am disgusted that he didn't get the boot before Betsey whom I adore.   It's not just Nascar fans; Travis Pastrana, who is hugely popular, is encouraging his fans to vote for his former boss Waltrip.

• Love 1

I'm hoping for Bethany and Mark for the Switch Up too, because good lord, if he can't get some energy and personality and you know, technique out of that girl, nobody can.

I really don't care to have Sadie on the show, but once she was announced I knew she'd be with Mark and I knew he'd do at least a decent job. Mark's at his best when he can play the big brother role (Shawn, and Kristi oddly enough) and balance between goofiness and taking care of them. Plus he's had experience with minors and the ultra conservative partners. So good on him. He'd be the perfect partner if only he was a bit taller. I think Val might be a good match for Sadie for the Switch.

• Love 2

Why do I feel like we could be seeing a final two of Sadie and Alfonso?

That's what I'm seeing too. Sadie seems like such a sweet girl and she's a natural performer. Alfonso is just so infectious, a delight to watch. I loved his dance tonight. I wasn't expecting him to get a 10 from America. I guess it just goes to show how much people were really wanting to see The Carlton dance.

I also have to mention how impressed I am with Witney's choreography this season. These past two weeks, she and Alfonso have been saddled with some really inappropriate songs for their dances. But I thought she managed to choreograph a routine that made both dances work with the song. Tonight, her choreography was excellent, imo. It was really fun, happy, alot of jazz content, and just enough of The Carlton dance to give the fans what they wanted but not overtake the dance. I really want them in the finals cause I'm excited to see what they're going to do for their freestyle. 

I had a feeling Betsey was a goner when Julianne said "Thank you for being here..." after her dance. I don't know if the judges know who's going home beforehand or not, but that comment sounded like a send-off to me.

I fear for Johnathan next week. I think he could be in the bottom. That samba was not good. What was worse was that Allison didn't look that great either. I love Allison. I'm a fan of hers from SYTYCD, but I just don't think she's working out on DWTS.

Edited by kelnic86
  • Love 3

This theme seemed more about getting America's vote.  The Carlton dance, Sadie's family a part of her dance, Dale Earnhardt tribute. More catering to America's vote to boost their score than the theme itself. 

• Love 1

I thought it was so sweet how Artem was getting emotional after the dance. The partnership those two have is so wonderful. I'm going to miss Tony and Bethany so much. They were just so wonderful to watch and I love when a pro helps bring out the best in a celebrity partner. Antonio is never going to get better because he doesn't have rhythm and he also just isn't in his comfort zone here. Dancing has nothing to do with if you are sexy or not it's all about how you feel when you move your body or express yourself. Once again Tommys comments had me in stitches especially when he was talking with Erin. I have to say this group seems to really get along with each other and are having a good time together. 

• Love 1

Sadie might very well disagree with a lot of things her family does, but she's a minor.  Not to mention that she loves her family and (as someone that's kind of been in her shoes, although not on a nationwide tv show) wants to think the best of them always.  As much as I'm sure some people want her to give the camera the middle finger and scream that doesn't seem in her personality to even dream up such a scenario.  She seems like a very sweet girl who just wants to make people happy and is still trying to figure out her own place in the world, just like every other teenager.

• Love 21

I saw Mark in the sky box and I thought...Bristol...ape suit all over again.  Thank goodness he found the right balance of content and fun.  Sadie performance was excellent.  By far the best samba of the night.  Alfonso was great too exactly what I wanted to see...but Sadie's was so unexpected and fresh..I liked that performance slightly more than Alfonso's.  Of the upbeat numbers I thought Sadie rocked it.

Also really loved both Lea & Janel's numbers.  I really loved that Rumba...great technique and emotion she really nailed it.  Lea was so beautiful.  So glad she had contemporary it fit her so well and all the balletic moves worked so well for this dance.  I feel like tonight these 4 separated themselves from everyone else dancewise.

Other thoughts on the night: 

-You raise your paddle sucked b/c it didn't work for a lot of people.

-I agreed with Tom about Antonio.  A shirtless dance dedicated to your mom?  Plus it was so stiff.  

-Allison's samba technique wasn't that great so no great shock that Jonathan's wasn't either.

-Not a fan of the switch-up...but for Jonathan's sake I am here for it

-Wanted Betsey to stay over Michael...but I'm glad to see the real Michael in his package

-I can now view Julianne as a credible judge for calling out Derek...the message was lovely...but that wasn't a good rumba.

• Love 1

I think Alison is the liability in the partnership with Jonathan. It just seems like her choreography revolves around putting the spotlight on her, rather than on her partner. They had an amazing first week, but ever since then I've felt like she hasn't given him anything to do. I feel like she's treating him like Cheryl has to treat Antonio -- like he has no rhythm and should only be given "stand around while I twirl and kick my leg up onto your shoulder" sorts of moves. It's fitting for Antonio because he doesn't seem like he can handle anything more challenging, but Jonathan seems like he could if she would just give him the chance. I agree with the judges; I'd like to see him do a slow number next week, something very ballroom and see what Alison will give him to do, maybe give him a chance to be graceful.

Still mad about Betsey being booted before Michael. Wrong call, America. WRONG call.

I was glad to hear Julianne tell Derek he didn't have enough rumba content, mainly because I hadn't realized it was supposed to be the rumba. Given what they were presenting, I thought they had the Contemporary instead. So her comments were fair. And I can't get down on her for getting emotional about the message of Bethany's dance tonight; I was right there with her. It's a soapbox topic for me (self-esteem and body image) so I was crying all through the damn thing. I thought that part of it was really lovely.

Maybe it's because I've been sick with bronchitis for the past 2 weeks and am very sleep-deprived which makes me extra emotional, but... I couldn't help myself. I also cried for Lea. I thought her dance was beautiful, and the sentiment of doing it for her father was very moving. And I liked how Artem was moved by Lea too. Very sweet.

And because I must say it: I loved Alfonso's dance. What joy-filled fun! I think that might have been my favorite of the night. Definitely Lea and Alfonso. 

• Love 2

Is it just me, or have them been some weird songs this year?  2 of Jonathons songs didn't even sound like the type they were supposed to be (the tango and tonights). There was another song tonight that didn't sound right either.

Loved Carlton, the duck chick and surprisingly Lea's. I really hate the Rumba and usually don't watch those, just FF through them.

Oh yes, tears tonight. Both Bethany and Lea had me getting the tissues out. 

Might seem trivial to some, but my daughter went through the mid school bullying. It lasted for two years, and she's still dealing with repercussions over 10 years later. It's devastating, and scary as someone who loves that person. I loved the end of the dance "I love who I am now". Derek is a master showman.

Told my husband, Alison's not doing any samba bounce either. And her knees were splayed again. I like her, think she's fierce, but I get the feeling she had an agenda. To prove that anyone can dance ballroom or something like that. Well, it ain't so.

And Janelle didn't have the correct hip movement for the rhumba either, but I guess she faked it better. It wasn't mentioned.

Was Carrie Ann texting during Betsey's dance? Pretty far from not having a step wrong.

• Love 3

I'm not sure why we're to assume Sadie doesn't hold those same beliefs as her grandfather, as some here have speculated, when she was raised with those beliefs. I'll cut her a little slack, as she's really young, and maybe doesn't know any better. But only a little. This is 2014, and those hateful points of view shouldn't be tolerated. Saying "well he's my family and we stick together and that is all" is not good enough in my book.

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum, Alfonso's dance brought 100% pure joy to the dance floor, and the entire set, too!

• Love 15

To me they saved the very best of the night for last, thank god it got a 40 after what happened last week. I adored that performance. I could have watched it again and again a hundred times in a row.

It was Jazz, it was Broadway, it was light and airy and technically sound, it was probably the best Carlton he's done and it was sheer happiness on a dance floor. Alfonso seems to be such a sweet soul and it makes sense now why I enjoyed him so much as an actor because it appears that as a person he's pretty darn spectacular.

Tommy is a hoss, I just can't with him, he's too cool for words, heh.

THIS!!! I LOVVVEEEED the Carlton Jazz dance!!! Witney outdid herself with the choreography and Alfonso's star power on that floor, his dance ability, and that magic he has when he embodies the music- sigh!!! Just wonderful.

This dance was 10x better than both of the Jazz numbers put together from last week. If those B+ dances got a 10 then this deserved a 20. It told a story better than the West Side Story one or the Singing in the Rain one. What impressed me the most was that this dance didn't feel like a copycat of Fresh Prince. It felt like Witney took the seed of inspiration from the Carlton character and dance and then completely riffed on it and created a dance that told this fresh 1960s style romantic comedy. I wanted to see the rest of the story that we only got a one minute snippet of. Where is it?!!! What happens???!!! ;-)

Sadie always surprises me with the energy and sass she manages to bring up in her dances. She gives it a good go even when her dancing isn't the cleanest.

Lea's dance and package was the only one that made me tear up and cry the entire night. And her beautiful pointed feet- so wonderful. Janel could learn something from Lea in that department. That is what's been bothering me in Janel's last few dances but I couldn't put my finger on it until it was brought into sharp relief in this dance bc the rumba is all about leg strength, balance control and fluidity- even though you wouldn't think it bc it doesn't have fast footwork. Her legs aren't very strong- feet are slippy and she doesn't really control, stretch or point her feet. Plus, after all that Sam Smith promo she did on social media it wasn't sung by Sam Smith!!!

Edited by missysays
  • Love 1

I liked Janel's dancing better than last week's, which was all big Broadway production that overshadowed her.   This dance showed her nice lines, and I always love watching Val.  He oozes sensuality.

Jonathon and Allison were awkward.   Both of them.  Jonathon might do better with a more experienced choreographer.   It will be interesting to see who he gets next week and how well he does.

Too bad that Betsey left before stomp-and-thud Michael.   Tony has been given more than his share of non-contenders, but this one was a nice pairing, and I wish she could have stayed on a little longer. 

That wasn't much of a rumba, Derek.   Even I could see that.  It was nice to hear Julianne point out Derek's lack of rumba, since he often gets away with a whole lot of rule-bending.

Michael looked cartoonish in that bright blue suit.   He was painful to watch.

I really like Lea.  I don't like their making sad stories part of the competition, but hers really got to me.  It was a sweet remembrance, and what a lovely life lesson she expressed in telling it.   Lea's dancing is graceful and musical, and this one was a real "moment."   I hope she's around for a long time.    

Antonio seems nice enough, but he's just meh as a dancer.

As much as I appreciate Tommy's free-spirited energy, I still think he's kind of skeevy.  Peta is a perfect partner for him.

I enjoyed Sadie's dance.  It was cute and a funny parody of her family's reputation.  Loved how some of the other dancers donned beards to celebrate the moment and support her.  So cute.   Sadie is a natural, and I love that she stands up for her principles and her family in spite of the way some people try to tear them down.   

I never watched the Fresh Prince show, so I knew nothing about The Carlton until now, but I caught on quickly.   Alfonso is an adorable man, and Witney is really keeping the choreography entertaining. Their dance was all-around delightful.  

Faves -- Alfonso, Sadie, Lea

Least Faves -- Michael, Tommy, Antonio

Middle man -- Jonathon

Middle gals -- bookend girls Bethany and Janel  (but I like Janel better than Bethany)

Edited by crocosmia
  • Love 4

Watching that pro bumper with Karina and Keo was such a tease I thought, heh, they looked amazing together. Even though it was only a few seconds long it looked so sensual and intimate and connected. The lifts and those holds...just exquisite I thought, really good stuff. I would love to see them do a whole routine.

• Love 5