Type keyword(s) to search

Sansa Stark: A Direwolf In Sheep's Clothing?

Message added by Meredith Quill

Reminder:

This topic is for discussing the character of Sansa, the writing, her arc and so on and so forth. It isn't a place to discuss or analyse her fans or haters and their motivations.

• Start Topic

8 hours ago, Colorful Mess said:

Jon betrayed the North and was absolutely ruined as a character in the final season because he was Dany's doormat (for reasons I still dont understand).

Not to mention that he dragged the Northern army into the massacre in KL. He made them complicit in the mass murder. For someone who said more than once that he does what he does because he loves the North and it's people and wants to save it/them, he sure has a weird way of showing it.

That king was elected by his lords, that he SERVES. They dont serve HIM. He has a duty to the people and should have made an alliance. It would be one thing if he was a dictator and decided to take the throne for himself. But he didn't, he was chosen by majority rule. It would be like my elected officials deciding that someone else should take over their job, that I elected them to do. And the reason they decided this, is because they're horny.

Ironically an alliance is exactly what Dany ended up offering him at the end of 7x06. It still pisses me off that he wasn't man enough to make that known to the Lords/Ladies of the North. He let them all believe Dany wouldn't help unless he gave up his crown. What an ass. I mean I'm sure D&D simply forgot that happened. But it could also be that they knew they couldn't have told their story this way (which was all about the Lords/Ladies hating Dany for making Jon kneel and Dany's isolation) so they simply chose not to include it.

But yes, Jon served his people precisely because of the way Jon was elected. The King/Queen title in this political system was always one that you came by via succession and inheritance. There are extreme cases where it's different but that's usually how it goes in Westeros. But Jon had no right to that title. He wasn't legitimized, the true born heir sat right there (not to mention that he knew Bran was alive), he was a Night's Watch deserter (he didn't want people to know he died and came back and who would believe that anyway), as a bastard he had no lands/title/castle from which to draw taxes, no army of his own, no power. The Lords/Ladies of the North decided to throw out feudal tradition, to dispense with the usual Stark monarch and instead vote for the new King/Queen. Which IMO means different rights as to what Jon can do. Since he was voted into office he was only King by the grace of the people. If they decide they aren't happy with him, they could simply replace him and vote for someone else (which they wanted to do in S7 by giving Sansa that title instead). So Jon had even more obligation to serve his peoples interest than a usual King would have in Westeros.

Edited by Smad
  • Love 3