Type keyword(s) to search

Food Network and Cooking Channel: One is about food

• Start Topic

I caught Valerie Bertinelli's show. She could be Rachel Ray's sister. Wow!

She didn't make anything special, chicken cutlets, bruschetta, beet salad and ice cream sundaes. Meh.

I'm fascinated that all these actors are getting cooking shows. While professional chefs are judging food competition shows hmmm.

Eta: I'm pretty sure Melissa Gilbert will be the next actor with a show. She was on The Kitchen promoting her new cookbook.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 1

She didn't make anything special, chicken cutlets, bruschetta, beet salad and ice cream sundaes. Meh.

I'm fascinated that all these actors are getting cooking shows. While professional chefs are judging food competition shows hmmm.

Eta: I'm pretty sure Melissa Gilbert will be the next actor with a show. She was on The Kitchen promoting her new cookbook.

Did you happen to catch the first episode of Valerie's show? It was even more yawn inducing than today's episode. Her HIC co stars were there and IMO, it was awkward. The 3 costars just didn't seem interested in food and Valerie made the super challenging dishes of quiche, salad and pannacotta. I gave it one more chance today. Her husband is cute and they seemed to enjoy each other but the food was as imjagain said..nothing new or special. I could make those chicken cutlets in my sleep. In fact, since I take Ambien occasionally, I may have! She explained and demonstrated a really neat way to cut basil..chiffonade! Wow, who knew! I would have to be a Valerie stalker to keep watching.

I'm so bored with the celebrities who get a show because they are unusual enough to cook at home. Good for them but what a waste of airtime. The only cooking celebrity who has been interesting to me is Debi Mazur and Gabriele. Love their food.

I'll tell you who I very much miss...Laura Calder who had the French cooking at home show. Why can't TPTB find more people like her? She prepared interesting food and it wasn't terribly difficult to attempt. Maybe TPTB should ask one of our posters on the Barefoot Contessa topic or another food related topic to give it a go. I've gotten some great ideas from y'all.

These days, I enjoy the cooking shows on my PBS station a million times more than Food Network or Cooking Channel.

• Love 6

FN must be hoping to replicate the success of Trisha Yearwood. Why they would pick Valerie Bertinelli though is beyond me. Trisha's stuff is very basic if relatable. But her show does well because she comes with a built in fan base. Valerie to s likeable enough but in don't think she's dragging a bunch of new viewers to the network with her.

• Love 1

Did you happen to catch the first episode of Valerie's show? It was even more yawn inducing than today's episode. Her HIC co stars were there and IMO, it was awkward. The 3 costars just didn't seem interested in food and Valerie made the super challenging dishes of quiche, salad and pannacotta. I gave it one more chance today. Her husband is cute and they seemed to enjoy each other but the food was as imjagain said..nothing new or special. I could make those chicken cutlets in my sleep. In fact, since I take Ambien occasionally, I may have! She explained and demonstrated a really neat way to cut basil..chiffonade! Wow, who knew! I would have to be a Valerie stalker to keep watching.

I'm so bored with the celebrities who get a show because they are unusual enough to cook at home. Good for them but what a waste of airtime. The only cooking celebrity who has been interesting to me is Debi Mazur and Gabriele. Love their food.

I'll tell you who I very much miss...Laura Calder who had the French cooking at home show. Why can't TPTB find more people like her? She prepared interesting food and it wasn't terribly difficult to attempt. Maybe TPTB should ask one of our posters on the Barefoot Contessa topic or another food related topic to give it a go. I've gotten some great ideas from y'all.

These days, I enjoy the cooking shows on my PBS station a million times more than Food Network or Cooking Channel.

Nope, I didn't watch VB's first show. I caught this by chance, had it on the channel while cleaning up. I don't think I'll be turning in again.

I agree VB and her husband seem to enjoy each other. There just isn't anything cooking wise there.

I agree, I miss Laura Calder.

Yes, Debi Mazur and Gabriele's show is wonderful and worth watching. I love Debi, and Gabriele is very talented , he makes beautiful food.

Edited by imjagain

Melissa Gilbert is running for Congress.

• Love 3

Usually I see Cooking Channel when Dish has a preview month. There's this segment called "You're Eating It Wrong" that makes me stabby. So far I've seen the proper ways to eat pizza, tacos, and spaghetti. The chicken wings eating expert was a competitive eater. Competitive eating dispenses with the niceties of etiquette.

Is "You're Eating It Wrong"satire? That would be the only reason how a glutton would qualify to give advice on the right way to eat anything!

This thing really bugs me.  If it is satire, it needs to be amped up 50%.  If it is not satire, it's just sad.

Apparently, the way to eat tacos is to use something (refried beans) to "glue" the two tortillas together.  We learned this by visiting the shop of someone who specializes in broccoli tacos.  The authentic Mexican broccoli taco - the tourists can't get enough of them.

• Love 1

Apparently, the way to eat tacos is to use something (refried beans) to "glue" the two tortillas together.  We learned this by visiting the shop of someone who specializes in broccoli tacos.  The authentic Mexican broccoli taco - the tourists can't get enough of them.

I learn something new every day.  People who eat this combination would have enough fiber to make baskets or outdoor furniture.

• Love 2

I cannot conceive of how such a horrible thing would taste!  How could there possibly be a market for it?

And, I've never noticed anyone who couldn't handle the two tiny corn tortillas when they ate a taco.

• Love 1

Yeah, I'm getting really annoyed with all the shows being given to actors and entertainers that haven't been relevant since 1997. Why Tiffani Thiessen, Rev. Run, Tricia Yearwood, and Valerie Bertinelli over actual chefs and food professionals who actually have something to teach and not just trying to rescue a dying career? It's all the same sort of food, too. I would love to have somebody do African, Caribbean, and South American cuisines.

I kind of enjoy Rev. Run's show. The food is silly, but back in the day when he and I and God were young, there were working-class people in New York and that's what they're like, just with more money. I think it's sweet watching them put on their little messagey sit-com skit about family and food, just like Deb (who was a working-class New Yorker at the same time we were) and Gabriele. It's nostalgic.

The celebrity cooking show I'm in love with, tho, is My Grandmother's Ravioli. Mo Rocca is insanely likable.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

Question: Why so many episodes of Diner's Drive-ins and whatevers in a row?

Why so many marathons on Food network?

Probably the usual answer: It gets ratings. Otherwise, I couldn't tell you. But it does get tired quickly.

So is Food Network all competition shows or all Guy Fieri or Bobby Flay. I guess so.

I don't know whether Guy and Bobby are growing on me or not. I guess it really is all about the format of the show you put them in.

Bobby:  "Beat Bobby Flay" -- is OK, I guess. Although I am tired of him...to a certain extent. How many shows can the man tape? I guess he's NEVER in HIS OWN restaurant kitchens anymore. 

He is a paradox for me because just as I might be liking him as a person a little more...I'm also getting sick of seeing him. Its like an OD of Flay -- AND the competition format. First Iron Chef, then Throwdown, then Chopped, Food Network Star, The Food Truck Race....and I don't even know what the premise of Cut Throat Kitchen is. Of course they're not all BF shows, but as for a show format. I'm over it.

As for Guy Fieri...another one who I can't figure out if he's an a$$hole or not. All the not-so-nice things written about him can't be lies.

Love Diners Drive In and Dives, and his Grocery Games is "OK"......I hate him when he just cooks. Maybe because IMO he sucks at it. Have you read the not so raving reviews about his restaurants? 

That review was from when it opened three years ago. I wonder how the place is doing now. Times Square is notorious for chewing up concept restaurants and spitting them out.  And his place isn't located on the Square's prime real estate.

• Love 1

I can't get the link to work,but---

it looks like Patricia Heaton [that famous culinary expert] is going to host a show about throwing parties.  Starts October 24.

Here we go again.

Stories on Food Network site and Variety.

I can't get the link to work,but---

it looks like Patricia Heaton [that famous culinary expert] is going to host a show about throwing parties.  Starts October 24.

Here we go again.

Stories on Food Network site and Variety.

Ugh. No way.

I don't "do" scientology.

And over the years she has been a rather outspoken asshole.

• Love 3

Has anyone been watching Pizza Masters on the Cooking Channel?  I just discovered it last week.  Two Italian-American cousins, Fran & Sal, from Staten Island (complete with heavy NYC accents) travel the country in a big, old Caddy, trying out different pizzas and local favorites. They own some restaurants in the NY area. The other night they went to Graceland and also the Italian restaurant that Elvis loved, to sample bbq pizza. They're fun characters.  They have a new season episode on 9/23 at 9:00 PM.

• Love 1

She's Catholic.  She was strongly involved up to her nose in the Teri Schiavo nonsense.

You're right. Thanks for the correction.

I must have confused her with Leah Remini, though Remini has denounced scientology.

Heaton has also worked herself into a Twitter lather over the recent Planned Parenthood controversy.

Will not watch.

• Love 2

I might have to give Heaton's show a peek 'cause her recipe for Italian meatballs is very good (found it in Parade magazine a few years ago) but I can't stand her politics and her obnoxious comments (e.g., critical remarks re the Georgetown law student).  Or maybe I'll just check out her recipes at the FN site...then I won't have to watch her show ;>)

• Love 2

Last week Alton Brown was a guest star on The Simpsons. His cartoon alter ego was host for a show called Eat Down, a parody of Bobby Flay's Throwdown.  The best line was when the show's star, Scotty Boom (parody Flay) challenges Homer to his show  "where I use my big-time New York City chef skills to obliterate amateur cooks." Another Boom line, "This week I took on the Gilbert family of Portland, Maine. They've been making clam chowder for generations. How is that better than something I spent the day on?"

• Love 3

Patricia Heaton, her politics and her meatballs aren't going to be seeing my Food Network screen any time soon.  I make an exception for "The Middle" because I just love the show, though.  I just can't see her as any kind of foodie or food person in any way shape or form either.  With all the real chef/foodie stars out there who would love the chance at a show putting her on the air leaves me scratching my head.  Valerie I can accept more than her but so far her show has left me uninspired so I may just take it off my DVR.   I am sick of FN resurrecting every star in Hollywood for a show now.  I just saw a promo. for some kind of show on "The Cooking Channel" with Michael McKean of all people.  And Alfonso Ribeiro is now hosting "Unwrapped" in addition to the 20 billion other shows his face keeps popping up on ever since he won "Dancing with the Stars".  Ugh.  Not that I don't like him or anything but this trend is pissing me off, sorry.

• Love 2

At least I'm glad they're bringing back Unwrapped and I like Ribeiro so that helps (it's not like Marc Summers was a chef or something).  Honestly, I don't watch FN for its cooking shows and looking at the schedule, they all seem so same-y.  Where's a show like Good Eats, that gets more into the science of cooking?  I'd love to see more Unwrapped esque shows.  Shows that get into the behind the scenes, like how Disney does its catering (which History Channel actually had a show on) or the Navy, etc.  Or even shows on the effort it takes to make a restaurant work.  I mean half the FN personalities have some restaurant, why not a behind the scenes there.

Patricia Heaton, her politics and her meatballs aren't going to be seeing my Food Network screen any time soon. I make an exception for "The Middle" because I just love the show, though. I just can't see her as any kind of foodie or food person in any way shape or form either. With all the real chef/foodie stars out there who would love the chance at a show putting her on the air leaves me scratching my head. Valerie I can accept more than her but so far her show has left me uninspired so I may just take it off my DVR. I am sick of FN resurrecting every star in Hollywood for a show now. I just saw a promo. for some kind of show on "The Cooking Channel" with Michael McKean of all people. And Alfonso Ribeiro is now hosting "Unwrapped" in addition to the 20 billion other shows his face keeps popping up on ever since he won "Dancing with the Stars". Ugh. Not that I don't like him or anything but this trend is pissing me off, sorry.

Yes, while I don't watch Valerie's show I get her likeable personality would draw in her fans. Patricia Heaton seems so unlikable to me. And I would have never even thought of her having a cooking show, I don't see foodie when I think Patricia Heaton.

Cooking channel has an interesting show I only caught once but it's about an Australian Vietnamese man traveling through France and explaining and cooking how France inspired Vietnamese cooking. I really enjoyed but I haven't seen it again and can't remember the name. If you see it, watch it. It's beautiful and informative.

Edited by imjagain
  • Love 2
Will FN pull out their checkbook?

Ooh, that's intriguing. I wonder if CK signed any sort of non-compete when he got his severance package.

Although FN would probably not like ATK's reviewing style. If they didn't like one of the sponsor's products, The Network might put the kibosh on saying it on a show. And the idea that they're not biased is one of the more attractive aspects of the CK empire. 

Someone on another board floated the idea of J Kenji Lopez Alt as next face of ATK. He used to work for Cook's Illustrated and is the owner of Serious Eats. He's got the chops and experience, don't know what he's like on camera. 

I don’t think CK would appeal to the demographics that  FN seems to be going after these days – “cooking is hard, let’s dumb everything down”.  All the new shows seem to feature Sandra Lee wannabes

• Love 4

Ooh, that's intriguing. I wonder if CK signed any sort of non-compete when he got his severance package.

Although FN would probably not like ATK's reviewing style. If they didn't like one of the sponsor's products, The Network might put the kibosh on saying it on a show. And the idea that they're not biased is one of the more attractive aspects of the CK empire. 

You're right. It's probably not a good fit. 

I posted this under the ATK thread, but I've read that Chris will at least stay on on the show's radio show/podcast, so I am wondering if he might return there eventually.  I agree it wouldn't be a good fit if he were expected to host some kind of dumbed down show on FN.  More likely he'd want to pitch another show for PBS I imagine, if it came to that.