Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Art of Murder

Episode Synopsis: The death of Gloria Carlyle, the elegant, seemingly ruthless matriarch of one of New York's wealthiest and oldest families, brings a world of hurt down on her family. After Gloria is found dead at a Metropolitan Museum of Art gala celebration of her philanthropy, Henry runs through a variety of suspects and motives but is pulled from the case when the family demands faster answers. Abe assists Henry and Jo entering the family's estate sale for important clues through his antique connections. Meanwhile, Henry is tormented by the haunting and melancholy memories that this particular art museum holds for him when it comes to the love of his life, Abigail, and their ironic personal history with Gloria. It all calls into question, what would you do for love?

Does anyone know anything about the painting by what was basically a silent character for this episode? I thought it was perfectly cast, LOL, but, seriously, it was perfect for the plot.

Editing in hopes of getting an answer now that I've fixed my typo. There can be a big difference between "that" and "what."

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

I'm enjoying each ep more and more tho I'm confused a bit with the timeline. Were Henry and Abigail on vacation when they crashed the party and when did they adopt Abe? I hope that gets clarified in the next few eps. Lucas is endearing and Abe got to be useful to the case. I do want to kno why Henry doesn't have a cell phone. Is it because he would have to get a new one every time he dies. I still like Henry and Abe relationship the best so hopefully we get to see flashbacks of their adventures too.

• Love 3

I noticed Henry kept borrowing cell phones in this episode but he knew how to use them so I wasn't sure if he was just being a stubborn old coot like Sheriff Longmire or if he was being practical since he might have to replace them constantly. But then that made me wonder about when he dies and reappears in water - where do his clothes go? Does he lose his favorite outfit every time he dies? Or do his clothes magically reappear in his closet? I would be seriously pissed if I kept losing all my favorite clothes.

To be honest, I liked Gloria Carlyle when she was walking around the party being a cranky old lady. I just figured she had reached the age where no fucks were given and she didn't bother sugarcoating anything. But knowing how miserable she was because she had to give up her lover, he husband was a dick, and her son hated her, I could see even more why she was so cranky.

I thought maybe the painting was of her, but I think the subject actually had much lighter hair.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6

Again, why is Detective Martinez so poorly underused? Not that she's lacking in screen time, but I have yet to see her make any discoveries without Henry's help. Someone mentioned before that she's probably still affected by her husband's death, but if she's back on the job, then someone had to have declared her competent to work. I did like it when she told Henry, "I've been doing this for 10 years."

I also liked cranky Gloria. She wasn't going around yelling racist comments or saying that poor people deserved to be poor. She just liked to vocalize every negative comment that ran through her mind.

The assistant M.E. (or is he an actual doctor? Sometimes I can't tell) was funny, if a little over-the-top sometimes. I loved when he told Martinez that the angrier she gets, the prettier she gets. Which was true during that scene.

• Love 4

I could nitpick over the unlikelihood of YSL '61 fancy shoes having any rubber at all on the soles (leather, darling, please), or suggest Henry just stock himself silly with burner phones so losing them would be no biggie, but that seems kind of churlish. Heaven help me, I like this show despite itself.

Any show that can snag the epic Kathleen Chalfont to play a bitchy patrician matriarch knows what it's doing.

I think (and eagler eyes than mine can confirm or debunk) that the museum exterior was the Morgan Library.

• Love 1

Yay another episode without creepy immortal, but that just means he'll come back to haunt us soon.

Boo to the return of Abigail and her English accent. I gripe about this every time, but her accent is so affected it takes me out completely.

I was actually touched by the idea of Gloria dragging her body to see that painting before she died. I have been moved by looking at certain works of art. For her to have a deep connection to that painting and artist and to see it before she dies, I did sniffle. 

• Love 4
Again, why is Detective Martinez so poorly underused? Not that she's lacking in screen time, but I have yet to see her make any discoveries without Henry's help.

I don't like that, either. Henry should be the one who finds the esoteric point that cracks the case, not showing up the entire NYPD. All Martinez does is drive Henry from crime scene to crime scene.

I think (and eagler eyes than mine can confirm or debunk) that the museum exterior was the Morgan Library.

No, the Morgan doesn't have that kind of exterior staircase. I think the building they filmed is on upper Fifth Avenue, but I can't be sure.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 1

I do like this show alot. It's delightfully light, somewhat cheestastic but still have nice chemistry between the mains.

Henry is a funny character, quirky and adorable at the same time. His immediate conclusions to things sometimes ring false (how does he figure that out so fast), but then I watch another show with the same issue, so it can pass. I like his interactions with Detective Jo. This is meant to be a light fun show. It really reminds me of Castle in it's early days, but that is all good. His face when the son wouldn't accept his apology was great, as was how the other detectives seem to tolerate him during the interrogations.

I like the relationship between Jo and Henry- nice friendship and boding moments, and they are obviously going to go for more.

Lukas - the assistant ME. Still makes me feel for him. So awkward and insecure and everything. He really needs someone to boost his confidence, but he's good in the role.

Sweet story with  Gloria, and I like how everyone naturally assumed little old rich lady = miserable old lady, only to find it was because she was denied her love. Was actually horrified when Henry was detailing her injuries (I was like, wow, they are showing an old lady that battered up - good makeup job), and then finding out she dragged herself to the painting - my god, what other drugs was she on to do that. Horrific.

The scene with the powder, finding the shoe prints rang a bit false. It's a museum - there would be shoe prints everywhere, especially after that farewell gala, including Jo and Henry's who was stomping all around the area. Yeah, it looked like a high heeled show, but there were other woman there with the same type of shoes.

The story was sweet, but it didn't do anything for my cold dead heart. Gloria's affair was discovered and she couldn't leave her husband? Why? Was it the money? Who had the money in the relationship? Because if she truly loved the painter, she could simply have divorced the hubby, taken half of the money (or a settlement), and moved on with her life with the painter. It just felt like she chose money over love.

• Love 1
Who had the money in the relationship?

That was very unclear. If it were the husband's money, why would he leave it all to his wife when he knew she loved another man? They made it clear the marriage was unhappy. And yeah, if it were her money, why didn't she tell her husband to shove it?

• Love 1

That was very unclear. If it were the husband's money, why would he leave it all to his wife when he knew she loved another man? They made it clear the marriage was unhappy. And yeah, if it were her money, why didn't she tell her husband to shove it?

Exactly. I wasn't sure who had the cash. If it was Gloria, then did she not want to give up half of her empire to the hubby? But let's face it, she's rich. She could hire the right lawyers and people to make the hubby go away (not murder!) with a settlement and his silence. She would also retain custody of the kid(s).

If the money was the hubby's, then by divorcing either she could get half, or a small settlement, since she cheated (and there would have to be proof). But Isn't the old romantic trope - love triumphs over money? If one is truly in love, living a simply 'poor' life is all one needs? If this was the case, then she choose money over love so I don't feel as sorry for her as the show tells me I should. Like I said, cold dead heart.

• Love 1

My guess they both had money - would be the appropriate thing to marry someone in your own "class". The husband likely had less than she - since her family "built New York." But he clearly had enough money and power to ruin her painter lover which is why she remained with him (1950s - men had more power than women typically).

I fear that this program truly is doomed to be cancelled 'cause I really, really love it.

• Love 4
the Morgan doesn't have that kind of exterior staircase.

Here is the pic of the Morgan I found that has the staircase like the one we saw. I knew the lions weren't NYPL's Patience and Fortitude, and the stairs were unlike those to the Met or the Frick, so that's what a google  of 'NYC buildings with lions' brought up. ::shrug::

Can I also confessed I grinned widely at the line "I'll get my scarf"? Nice they have a sense of humor about themselves.

I'm not one for "schlocky" stuff.  (I think "schlocky" is my own word? - I mean "sappy, cute, romantic" etc.)  I'm more a "blood & guts, murder mystery" kind of girl.  But this is one schlocky show I truly love.  Enough mystery to keep me riveted, a fair amount of blood (sometimes), and absolutely wonderful actors/characters.  Last night's episode really touched me - and trust me, I'm never touched by stuff on TV.

Sorry this post doesn't move anything along, I just wanted to say how far out of the norm this show is for my taste, but how much I love it in spite of that.

• Love 5

I'm more a "blood & guts, murder mystery" kind of girl.  But this is one schlocky show I truly love.  Enough mystery to keep me riveted, a fair amount of blood (sometimes), and absolutely wonderful actors/characters.

Out of curiosity, Lostinthehouse (even your name is scary), do you like Criminal Minds and other similar shows?

I lean more toward "light" murder shows, where a person might get stabbed or bludgeoned to death, but there's always someone around to make a great joke about it (e.g. Forever, Castle, The Mysteries of Laura, Law & Order, Psych). Throw in some flirtatious chemistry, and I'm hooked. I don't know what that says about my personality. I like gore, but not gore-gore. Like in tonight's episode of Forever, the ME's description of Gloria's multiple fractures was a bit much for me.

• Love 2

I continue to enjoy the relationship between Abe and Henry the most, and I do enjoy Henry's interactions with the police, and the assistant ME (I'm glad they're fleshing out his awkward personality). Unfortunately, the "mystery of the week" continues to be a weak spot and feels too silly and contrived. The whole bit with Henry knowing what kind of rubber they used on certain shoes in the 1960s (womens' shoes, particularly, and knowing what designer/brand they were) was just - silly. I mean, it's nice that he was actually wrong about something for once, but his ability to pull obscure details out of thin air is too over the top.

This show seems to be getting fairly decent ratings for its time slot so I expect it to last at least the full season. I just wish they'd make the stories a little sharper and make Henry less of a know-it-all. This isn't Elementary. 

The scene with the powder, finding the shoe prints rang a bit false.

the ME's description of Gloria's multiple fractures was a bit much for me.

This was one of the reasons the whole 'dusting for footprints' thing rang hollow - pretty sure the ME said she had a compound fracture in her leg.  That's where a broken bone pokes out of the skin, so there'd have been no need of fancy observational skills - she'd have been bleeding, probably pretty badly.  The trail of blood would have been obvious.

I'm not gonna get too caught up in the actual police work, gave up that long ago when I was watching Psych.  That said, they have made poor Detective Martinez absolutely reliant on Morgan pretty quickly.  Even she reminded us that she's been doing this for 10 years so she must know some things.  Give her more to do, writers.

The resolution of the mystery was interesting - not sure I've ever seen one just like it.  Glad to see that Henry gets it wrong sometimes, and simply corrects himself and keeps thinking.  

• Love 4
the Morgan doesn't have that kind of exterior staircase.

Didn't the museum in the show have a very long exterior staircase? That's what I was referring to. There was also a semicircular drive. Or maybe the long shots were someplace else, and the closeups were at the Morgan?

One thing I think the show got right at the very beginning is tone. I had some real problems with Castle in its first season because we were seeing these brutal deaths, and then Castle would breeze in with some stupid quip better suited to a lighter show. It just didn't work for me. I like that Forever plays things fairly straight as far as the crime goes.

It has been years since I have followed any series, probably since Pushing Daisies was on. But I enjoy this show and will tune in every Tuesday. It keeps my attention, the relationships are sweet, and the mysteries are just mystery enough - not too many red herrings. The hour goes by quickly. Bottom line, I'm entertained and that's all I ask from this type of show. I don't always need to be educated, learn something new, or have all the little plot features be accurate or make sense. Sometimes just being entertained is enough.

• Love 6

Side note:

(I think "schlocky" is my own word? - I mean "sappy, cute, romantic" etc.) 

Schlock or schlocky is from Yiddish, meaning cheap or shoddy, not romantic! I think you mean schmaltzy, which is also Yiddish, which means cheesy, overly emotional. :)

(Side side note: schmaltz is also literally rendered chicken fat, but it means the above if you're not talking about food.)

Edited by rereader2
  • Love 6

I was talking to somebody that this show is filling my Burn Notice spot. Nothing to take seriously, nothing to look at too closely, but a perfectly pleasant way to while away a tv-hour.

• Love 3

The resolution of the mystery was interesting - not sure I've ever seen one just like it.  Glad to see that Henry gets it wrong sometimes, and simply corrects himself and keeps thinking.

And he thinks out loud (classic extrovert). I love it when Det. Martinez says, "Henry, you're lecturing again."

• Love 1

topanga - Yes!  Criminal Minds and Hannibal are my favorite shows.  Yes, I am female.  And yes, my friends wonder what's wrong with me.  :D

rereader2 - OK then, schmaltzy.  But Schlocky has been in my vocabulary for so long it's going to be difficult to change it.

• Love 2

I can't remember if in previous episodes Henry was shown borrowing cell phones too? But at least in this episode, the first time he did it, with the Lieutenant? I thought he was doing it to Martinez would answer while in the interrogation room based on who was showing up on the caller ID. Thought the same thing when he did it the second time to male-detective-whose-name-I-don't know.

I can't remember if we've ever seen him with his own phone before, and I'm not saying the above precludes showing him as not having one, or resistant to having one; might be all of the above, but at least in those moments it played to me more like making sure the other person would pick up the phone because another known police officer was calling. Also, possibly, because by then he was "not there" and "off the case" so a call coming from someone who is not him was perhaps more permissible.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 2

I'm really liking this series.  It's getting little details right, and this episode got one big one bang on: Henry is a scientist.  He evaluates available data and fits a theory to that data.  When the theory is tested or destroyed by new data, he re-evaluates and re-theorizes, and this continues until all available data is accounted for.  That's the scientific method, rarely seen in entertainment.

He's also a good boss.  Lucas screwed up, and came to confess with his resignation written and signed.  Henry took the blame instead, and managed to acknowledge responsibility without actually saying he, personally, leaked the information.  In my career I have had precisely three bosses like that, out of a total of around twenty.

I'm really liking Henry.

• Love 9

Not every show has to be as intense as Game of Thrones or Hannibal (both of which I love) and I'm finding that FOREVER fits my "light and fun" quota quite well. I'm tremendously glad they're not rushing into any sort of romance between Henry and Jo, allowing both to properly grieve their respective lost loves while becoming genuine friends along the way. If it happens - which, I mean, c'mon - then at least it will have been earned. And I'm impressed that Alana has a better way with comedy than I would've imagined and while every episode shouldn't have Henry interrupting the interrogation, it was still funny in this episode. I find I rather adore Henry, too. 

• Love 3

And I'm impressed that Alana has a better way with comedy than I would've imagined and while every episode shouldn't have Henry interrupting the interrogation, it was still funny in this episode. I find I rather adore Henry, too.

Now that you mention it, does Det. Martinez ever smile or laugh? I'm sure she has, but I can't recall a scene. She's not an Angry Latina Woman or anything. She's just very focused on her work. And still sad about her husband's death.

In the last flashback where Gloria was on the floor looking up at the painting, didn't it change to show a woman with dark hair?  I got the impression that she knew the artist was painting her and changed the hair color to protect her identity.  But she knew the painting was a love letter of sorts.  So she looked up, saw herself, smiled, and died.  Or maybe I imagined that?  I deleted the recording so can't go back and check.

In the last flashback where Gloria was on the floor looking up at the painting, didn't it change to show a woman with dark hair?

I think the painting was of her.  The subject didn't have dark brown hair but the picture as a whole was light in color and I assumed that is why the subject in the painting had light brown hair - just an artistic choice for the style.

I really enjoyed this episode.  I've been to my surprise enjoying the whole show from the start, it's more the characters and the feel than the premise though I was a big Highlander fan, lol. 

This episode, I sincerely enjoyed the very refreshing change that the murder wasn't a murder.  I was ranting somewhere about TV's most recent annoying habit of always trying to go for the twist that makes you agree there is no humanity left out there.  (And usually just for shock's sake, not because it fits the narrative or anything)  This episode subverted that whole "Surprise!" trope.  Instead of relying on a gimmicky surprise (not) ending, they chose to tell a story and give it a satisfying ending.

I honestly haven't had very many of those lately.  Everything is about shock and twists and cheats and gotcha's and in the mix actual good, enjoyable storytelling is getting lost.

I sound like I'm eighty.  Nope, still squarely in the target demographic but my other shows have been so damn depressing lately.  It was nice to end on a bittersweet but positive note.

Hope this show out runs the cancelation bear. 

• Love 5

Her husband was going to ruin the artist-- and since she loved the artist, she wanted to protect him so she stayed with the husband.

The son said that his father believed he had won her back-- so I guess he didn't believe she had always loved the artist, but that she had gotten over it when she decided to stay.

• Love 1

Yes she stayed out of love. The painting was beautiful.

Brooklyn museum! Thanks, knew I'd been there before.

I love love loved the proposal. This show does have a lot of heart, it sets it apart. But yes, Martinez is kind of just a chauffeur at this point. I did think henry was hilarious thinking he had to explain what a jpg was and of course Abe was way ahead of him.

• Love 2
I did think henry was hilarious thinking he had to explain what a jpg was and of course Abe was way ahead of him.

I liked that it hinted that Henry makes an effort to keep current, and possibly thinks Abe does too.  But Abe is current, and Henry, well, lives in his head (and the past) a bit, possibly a bit too much.  All hazards of being immortal, I expect.  

Particularly poignant is Henry's need to stay connected to someone as a way of staving off despair.  Given that Abe is getting a bit long in tooth, Henry is no doubt aware that he's looking at being alone, again.  They've left this pretty well understated thus far which is pretty refreshing.  Not a perfect show but they do have enough good bits that I'll keep watching.

• Love 2

There is something very engaging and fun in being able to see Abe from Henry's perspective. The dynamic of the the young man (from Henry's point of view) in the older mans body makes me see Abe as younger and hipper while at the same time I also have to remember others see him as a little old man who is as much an antique as anything in his shop. It's an interesting and unique sensation. I don't think I've run across a relationship quite like it before.

• Love 6

There is something very engaging and fun in being able to see Abe from Henry's perspective. The dynamic of the the young man (from Henry's point of view) in the older mans body makes me see Abe as younger and hipper while at the same time I also have to remember others see him as a little old man who is as much an antique as anything in his shop. It's an interesting and unique sensation. I don't think I've run across a relationship quite like it before.

ITA. There's also a representation of the very common, real life experience of the child becoming the parent as parents age and need to be cared for.
  • Love 3
I did think henry was hilarious thinking he had to explain what a jpg was and of course Abe was way ahead of him.

I liked that it hinted that Henry makes an effort to keep current, and possibly thinks Abe does too.  But Abe is current, and Henry, well, lives in his head (and the past) a bit, possibly a bit too much.  All hazards of being immortal, I expect.

I think here's where the show is a little shaky with its internal logic/mythology. Henry isn't Rip Van Winkle. He didn't wake up in a brand new world; he's watched technology evolve. He should be keeping up with it, especially with his job. Abe probably gets jpegs sent to him all the time, and that shouldn't be news to Henry. Also, jpegs aren't exactly cutting-edge.

I think it works to have Henry bring older/alternative techniques to his investigations, like he did with the fingerprint powder on the museum floor, but he's also the medical examiner. He HAS to be totally up-to-date.

Those are good points. When you are watching something evolve it doesn't seem so strange. Case in point, my late father was born in 1920 and when he was little there were still horses on the streets of Boston. When he died he was comfortable using a DVr, computer, microwave, etc. The people in Howard's end could have still been alive in the 60s. People always forget that stuff.

But I still thought it was cute that he thought he had to explain it.

• Love 3

I didn't like this case at all. I saw this as a case of rich people's problems. Instead of committing suicide and leaving a note like a normal person she goes through this elaborate hoax that immortal Sherlock had to figure out and even then it still couldn't be proven.

Call me heartless but when the detective was saying she hoped that the lady made it to that painting, I was thinking, I don't. All that crap she put her son through even in death, later for that.

My other problem is that if your big hook is that he dies and comes back to life, then you probably shouldn't go two episodes without killing him off. Otherwise this is another by the books murder mystery show and  CBS has plenty of those already.

I watched this episode on the recommendation of a friend and enjoyed the cast of characters so much that I went to On Demand and watched the first three episodes to  catch up and get the background on the plot and the people.   It's a sweet show with endearing characters and enough humor and heart to keep it from being just another whodunnit.  

I'm looking forward to enjoying this show throughout the season and hope it's able to stick around for awhile.

• Love 4
My other problem is that if your big hook is that he dies and comes back to life, then you probably shouldn't go two episodes without killing him off.

I disagree. They killed him off so many times in the first two, I was getting sick of it. I think it's a good thing you never know when he might die, but he doesn't constantly. Sure he should do more reckless stuff than a not-immortal person would, which should result in him dying more frequently than a normal person would, but most people don't end up in freak accidents/murdered twice a day. I think the threat that he might die and have to deal and cover it up is ok to tide me over, at least. I don't think I'd even want him to die every other episode. Best used sparingly. Plus I think the hook is he can't stay dead and therefore has been alive 200 years, not just that he dies and comes back to life.

• Love 7
But I still thought it was cute that he thought he had to explain it. [jpegs]

That's what I was referring to above about Henry trying to keep updated.  Jpegs have only existed for a couple of decades - this yesterday to an immortal.  Keeping current with the language would be hard enough, to say nothing of clothes and social attitudes. 

Edited by henripootel
  • Love 1
The scene with the powder, finding the shoe prints rang a bit false. It's a museum - there would be shoe prints everywhere, especially after that farewell gala, including Jo and Henry's who was stomping all around the area. Yeah, it looked like a high heeled show, but there were other woman there with the same type of shoes.

Henry mentioned that shoes made after 1970(?) don't use that kind of rubber and therefore don't leave that mark. This last episode gave me the impression that Henry has been the equivalent of a Medical Examiner for some time now, so I can see how he would've been dusting for those kinds of footprints for a while until manufacturers changed the bottoms.

tribeca, the way I understood the original plan was that she would die peacefully while secluded from everyone and standing in front of that painting. I doubt it was to implicate anyone. It wouldn't have even been investigated as a murder if she hadn't fallen down the stairs first. Edited by Jaded Sapphire
  • Love 1

Henry mentioned that shoes made after 1970(?) don't use that kind of rubber and therefore don't leave that mark. This last episode gave me the impression that Henry has been the equivalent of a Medical Examiner for some time now, so I can see how he would've been dusting for those kinds of footprints for a while until manufacturers changed the bottoms.

But isn't that a detective's job? I think a me cuts up bodies, examines brains, lungs, etc, as opposed to doing csi.

I agree with previous posters that the real detective needs to contribute more. This is too much Sherlock, or Reddington smartest man in the room fawning.

Otherwise, I love the humor, and overall tone. Hope it doesn't get canceled or go off track.

• Love 1