Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Wingman

This episode is probably one of my favourites. It manage to balance everything very nicely and there were so many nice small touches from the various actors. Reese's small pleased smile over the compliment of his marksmanship, Shaw's smile over Fusco's situation in the bar, Harold improvising as the shadowy feared blackwater man standing straighter (or at least it appared like that to me) and Fusco was just great all the way. I felt you could really see a difference in his face at the party before he beat up that one guy and after. Like his face grew more hard and pinched instead of relaxed and sligthly wide eyed. Also loved the camera panning over those Latvian guys Root had shot with their leg exposed at the police station. The show does these quiet comedy moments well. Overall the episode had the actors bringing their A game all around with a solid story and character progression.

Edited by Riful
  • Love 3
When Shaw suggested blowing up the facility in New Jersey, Root said it was only one of many server farms. And since it housed the crucial servers that are now protecting them, it needed to remain intact.

Not a problem, that particular facility can stay. Why not cripple Samaritan by blowing up a few of the other server farms if the Machine can locate them? Which it appears it can since the Machine knew about the facility in New Jersey. I say keep stockpiling those rocket launchers, blunt force is the way to go.

• Love 1

Funny moments:  Reese shooting the guy from the bus.  Wingman commenting about women's high heeled shoes followed by Shaw kicking hers off.  Finch channeling Ben.  Fusco putting the guy's head into the table.

• Love 3

Which it appears it can since the Machine knew about the facility in New Jersey. I say keep stockpiling those rocket launchers, blunt force is the way to go.

I was just thinking that last week.   Why not some C-4 right in Samaritan.   Then I remembered its a computer program.   Blowing up the computer just means it gets another one.   But, I am sure it needs a lot of servers to run its stuff.   So if you blow up enough of them, it can't process the data, and it is "crippled."   THen maybe they can attack the programming.    

Does that make sense?    

(not a computer person.   I turn my lap top on, and I pray I can find the internet).

• Love 1

She seems a little young for hot flashes.

I thought it was just sexist bs, didn't realizable she had a medical excuse (hot flashes).

Hot flashes are a symptom of menopause (http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/menopause/basics/definition/con-20019726) and would not/should not come into play for Sameen, unless she is supposed to be in her 40s.  (Ms. Shahi was born in the early 80s.)

I do not look anything like Shaw, except we both have dark hair. I wear tank tops everywhere that I do not have to dress up for. I do not have to kick criminal ass, but the tanks I wear are comfortable and can get dressed up or down depending on the circumstance and the material of the actual tank top.  That is probably why Shaw wears tanks- comfort and flexibility. 

As for the episode, I love whenever Lionel gets a chance to be center stage and he (and Kevin Chapman) did not disappoint in any way!  Shaw and Lionel have great chemistry, as do Root and Harold. I am almost always amazed and amused by their pairing. Reese doing his Man In A Suit And Badge is fun. I was angry at myself at not remembering the new captain's comment about her purse, so I was wondering if the bag was for Shaw or Root.

I love that Bear and Shaw are, essentially, buddies. The off-hand commands, like she's talking about the weather, are a fun contrast to John's commands, which sound like commands, not conversation.

I, too, would at least have a drink with the Fusco that went to these "events"; I am biased though.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 3

Finally got a chance to see the whole episode.  It was cute in spots.  Nice of the Machine to provide them with operating funds. Liked the Captain and Reese finally taking his day job seriously.  But doesn't anyone remember that cute Russian girl having a thing for Fusco? IRL I doubt he'd have trouble getting a date - it's just that with a kid and being on-call for Team Machine, it doesn't leave him much time for a social life.

After building up Samaritan as the biggest of the Big Bads, not having anything directly Samaritan related (that I noticed anyway) made the episode feel slightly empty. 

Blowing up the computer just means it gets another one.   But, I am sure it needs a lot of servers to run its stuff.   So if you blow up enough of them, it can't process the data, and it is "crippled."   THen maybe they can attack the programming.

In the S3 finale, when Shaw thought they were going to blow up Samaritan's data center, Root explains there are dozens more just like it all around the world.  Data centers are designed so that if one server goes offline, the processing is just rerouted to another.  They might have a better chance identifying the internet nodes or the physical cabling but still not something 5 people could do.  

I kind of like the idea of the Machine converting Samaritan to the good side of the Force but since Samaritan is so powerful, even that would upset the balance of the show too much.  The only way to eliminate Samaritan that I can see would be to create a virus powerful enough to disable it but creating one that it won't see coming?  That should be interesting... 

I do want to see Samaritan destroy Greer first. :-) 

• Love 1

This was a nice breath of fresh air. I liked the person of interest and I'm kinda hoping to have him back some time.

And now I finally get what all the fuss on Ben Linus was all about when Harold went all creepy. I gave up on Lost in the second season, so I had no idea. Nice.

See, I think Ben would've been much more sarcastic, but I was so happy for even the faint echo that I don't care, I just want more. Now I'm going back to my happy little world where Harold and Ben were separated at birth but ultimately find each other and take down Samaritan together.

• Love 1

Quote: 

I do not look anything like Shaw, except we both have dark hair. I wear tank tops everywhere that I do not have to dress up for. I do not have to kick criminal ass, but the tanks I wear are comfortable and can get dressed up or down depending on the circumstance and the material of the actual tank top.  That is probably why Shaw wears tanks- comfort and flexibility.

I agree with this and I'm surprised at all the comments on Shaw's tank top, too.  I wear a tank top most of the time (even though I don't look nearly as good).  I think she wears it because it's comfortable and it seems to totally fit her personality.

• Love 3

I "called out" the tank tops because none of the other women get dressed like that *all the time*, even "action" women.  Not Carter, Zoe, Root, Stanton, etc.  It just stood out - every scene fitted tank tops. And truthfully, I initially "called it out" with tongue firmly in cheek.  I mean here we have Root in a jacket, the men in suits, and Shaw sitting there *in the underground subway* all bare armed.  It was hard NOT to notice.  And Reese saying it was hot was just his excuse for shooting someone, and a weak one at that.  Even he didn't expect anyone to believe it.  We weren't meant to think they were in some sort of heat wave and that everyone else was stupid for wearing jackets and suits and long sleeves. I don't understand the need to "defend" it either.  It's not a slam on Sarah the actress, or Shaw the character (if a slam at all) it's more about wardrobe/costumers and other PTB.  All the other women are smart, sexy, badass, but not constantly in tank tops.  What's so wrong with saying it stood out?

• Love 1

I "called out" the tank tops because none of the other women get dressed like that *all the time*, even "action" women.

I see Shaw and her tank tops in the same way I would if another character wore fatigues all the time.  It defines who she is - always ready for action (of the @ss-kicking variety). 

• Love 2

I see Shaw and her tank tops in the same way I would if another character wore fatigues all the time.  It defines who she is - always ready for action (of the @ss-kicking variety). 

You reply to my first sentence and ignore the rest.  As I said in that post (if you read the whole paragraph), it was "tongue in cheek".  And to build on it/cut to the chase - I thought it was a humorous observation and didn't really expect people to rail against it with so much else going on in the episode.    Even after stating it was "tongue in cheek" it keeps getting talked about.  It was just an observation, and that is the last I'll reply about it. 

You reply to my first sentence and ignore the rest.  As I said in that post (if you read the whole paragraph), it was "tongue in cheek".

Sorry if I appeared to misinterpret your post.  I did read it all and I understood you meant it "tongue in cheek".  For me it was just a jumping off point for my own thoughts on the tank top thing.  (I tend to go off on tangents.)   

Your observation may have been "tongue in cheek" but it was still a valid one that made me stop and wonder why I didn't see the tank tops as any sort of thing.  I mean, that particular wardrobe choice does stand out and I have plenty of friends who would see it as sexist.  Who knows, for the wardrobe people it probably is intentionally gratuitous - Sarah Shahi is a stunning woman.  But after thinking about it, I just realized that I do see it as her default uniform.  It isn't a huge earth-shattering insight or anything but SS does such a great job as portraying Shaw as strong that it even carries over into her clothing.  :-) 

ETA: 

p.s. no reply expected. 

Edited by tessaray

Interestingly episode 3-4 had a similar vibe with Carter as the bait/plant for the POI who was meeting up with women and sketchily changing up his persona. Not exactly the same as Fuso with Andre but pretty close. In both cases the POI was sketchy initially and then actually more than a decent guy. In fact like with Andre, I had hoped to see the POI again and possibly in a hook up with Carter because they had some mad chem.

In any case, loved this episode and Andre was a keeper for me when he begged them to let Lionel go because he was a good man and later when they were escaping he actually threw himself in front of Lionel as a human sheild even when Lionel had his gun up and aimed. That's not just a good wingman, but a good all around dude to have in your pocket. I hope he pops up again as one of Lionel's 'normal' friends. He'd be good for comic relief.

No idea why this made me howl so much but during the rescue with Reese's empyting his clip and then sighing 'They never give you enough ammo' before without missing a beat balls out barreling at the bad guy and taking him down with a body slam was both hilarious and bad ass.

• Love 1

I do however wonder... is the machine grading the papers his students turn in too? ;)

No, that's Bear's job! (And he didn't seem too impressed with the work turned in).

I was also wondering, now that Elias knows there's been some kind of primal change in the way things are being done (not just by Team Machine), but he seems to have sensed that there's a new undercurrent, whether he's going to end up working against Samaritan. Not that he suddenly turns good (or not-bad, like Root), but that Samaritan interferes with his life somehow. They seem to be positioning him for something like that.

• Love 2

Well I had a couple ideas on the Elias chat with Harold. 1)is he checks into Harold/Reese somehow more deeply and finds out a secret about them and then uses it as leverage to have Team Machine help him or one of his men. Or 2) Greer and Samaritan use info. on Elias to help track down Team Machine. Or 3) Because Elias is head of a mob group, Samaritan goes after him and he needs Harolds help(again).

Edited by webruce