Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Wingman

Finch recruits Fusco to stick close to the latest POI, a professional 'wingman', but learning how to approach women soon becomes the least of his worries. Reese must find a way to play by the rules at his new day job. The Machine sends Finch and Root on a mysterious errand.
  • Love 1

Fusco as the schlubby guy who needs help dating.   But gets the hot chick at the end.   Because he is a good guy.   Who just needed a little help with his clothes.

Loved, loved, loved him standing up for cops.   They do hard work and face a lot of criticism.   Sure there are jerk cops.   But there are jerks in every profession.   Vigilantes like Reese just make their job harder.   THe rules are there for a reason.   

Did also like the dating guy make it clear that if women make an effort to look good for men, the least men could do is also make an effort.   Three cheers for "those shoes hurt."

Nice time for morals there Finch.   But honestly Shaw, you could have explained it was a set up to get the bad guys -- and the money.   But what do you expect from her?   She only works with Finch because the Machine makes her.   

• Love 6

This episode was so much FUN--much more engaging than last week, and after the doom and gloom of the past few episodes, a nice change of pace with the lighter tone. Having 3 distinct storylines going didn't quite work, though; I felt like Finch and Root's got the short end of the stick, and wish we'd gotten to see more of them in particular. Emerson and Acker are just dynamite together--every time Finch gave her that "wtf" side-eye and she made crazy eyes, I grinned. And I just HOWLED with laughter every single time Finch went into Egret mode. Too funny!

I'm so over Finch being all pissy about the Machine, though. Pretty ungrateful, given that she saves your life every single freaking day after YOU chose not to kill the congressman. I can understand him being wary of the Machine, but it was OTT tonight (obviously to reinforce the point at the end, but still).

I so, so enjoyed Shaw being a little shit over Lionel's dating lessons. It reinforced for me how much I enjoy her and Lionel working together--and how blah I find John and Lionel in comparison, they just don't have that same spark. I like that Fusco laid down the law with John at the start of the episode, though; I've always hated how Reese is with Fusco sometimes (Shaw makes fun of Fusco--and Fusco returns it--but John can sometimes be really disdainful in a not-joking way), so that was nice to see. Not sure how I feel about Reese and the new captain, because they seemed to have been chem testing them but that just seems like a bad idea.

I couldn't tell if the number was Eion Bailey or not (eventually I decided it wasn't), so I kept squinting at the screen, wondering if Pinocchio has become a wingman in NYC. I liked him--wouldn't mind seeing him pop up again.

John and Shaw are going to be SO pumped about that missile.

But honestly Shaw, you could have explained it was a set up to get the bad guys -- and the money.   But what do you expect from her?   She only works with Finch because the Machine makes her.

I don't think Root knew the full plan until the Machine told her to shoot the mob guys, though (she said at the start of the ep she didn't know the plan). You could see the little lightbulb go off over her head in that moment.

Oh, and also hilarious: John's little one-shouldered shrug to Lionel from the top of the bus. Caviezel does that quiet humor so well.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 6

Who's the new captain? I swear I've seen her in something else and she's not listed in IMDB.

It's a shame Harold's relegated to the draggy B plot with Root, but I really enjoyed seeing Fusco, Reese and Shaw work on actual cases.

• Love 1

Definitely a fun episode and the opening sequence with Reese was hilarious, particularly when the captain brought up how many guys he kneecapped.  I actually laughed out loud.  I like the new captain and it was cool seeing a story focus on Fusco.  We also got the return of the fun Shaw/Fusco interaction...they work well together.

• Love 5

The press release says the new captain is played by Monique Gabriela Curnen. I recognize her from The Dark Knight (she played Gordon's right-hand woman).

Thanks. She was also a cop in Lie to Me, which is where I know her from.

• Love 1

I couldn't tell if the number was Eion Bailey or not (eventually I decided it wasn't), so I kept squinting at the screen, wondering if Pinocchio has become a wingman in NYC.

Thank you!  I recognized him but couldn't place where from!

Finch channeling Ben is always a good time. 

Glad that the wingman turned out to be a good guy who seemed to genuinely like helping Lionel.

No one is immune to Fusco's stealth charm.

JC was looking a bit rough and tired in those early scenes.

• Love 2

Yeah, this was just a fun episode.  We get Finch pretending to be stone-cold trader, Reese and Fusco as partners doing cop stuff, Reese being Reese and fucking things up as a cop, Fusco and Shaw, Shaw and Bear, and, more importantly, Fusco being involved in the POI!

Yep, the main story basically was made of win, because of Fusco.  Kevin Chapman is just such an underrated talent, IMO, and he is able to play all these hilarious moments, but still make Fusco feel like a real person.  He is a flawed man, who has done horrible things in the past, but I really believe he is trying to do better, and is mainly succeeding.  And, of course, I loved that Shaw was his back-up, because those two together are a hoot.

I actually liked the new captain.  Hope she sticks around.  And, it was fun watching Reese actually getting it together, and being a good detective, once he takes it seriously.  Although, I'm sure those on the tour bus appreciate him for giving them a story to tell to everyone back home.

The Finch/Root stuff was basically filler to find a way to get the group more money and guns, but again: Badass Finch.  That is all.

Well, one more thing: you don't that the rocket launcher is totally going to come back into play.  Someone will be using that by the season finale, if not sooner.

• Love 5

I loved everything about this episode.

Fusco centric for one and the usual interplay among the regulars.

Also moving the overall arc along.

Great epi!

Couldn't agree more!!!  This show is getting better & better & we can't complain about anyone in the cast!!!  Super, great show!!  (Can't get enough of Bear.)

Loved scary Finch. That was quite amusing.

I call baloney on Fusco being able to land a date based on the wingman's tactics. You can't de-Fusco Fusco. But then I am extremely visual and shallow and incapable of finding someone attractive based purely on the more noble qualities. Which segues nicely into....

Detective Riley. Oh, Detective Riley. I haven't wished so bad to be interrogated since I was a teenager watching Chris Noth as Mike Logan on Law & Order. Loved the close-ups on JC's face in the interrogation scenes. However, here's my nitpick. I know the scruff is the in thing these days. However, it's not working on JC, especially above the lip where it seems to grow a little more heavily and looks like a halfway there mustache that is either there or not depending on the angle of the light.

• Love 3

I call baloney on Fusco being able to land a date based on the wingman's tactics. You can't de-Fusco Fusco. But then I am extremely visual and shallow and incapable of finding someone attractive based purely on the more noble qualities.

Then you would fit in beautifully in Manhattan, and particularly SoHo, which is why I call shenanigans on that as well.

Edited by Julia

Then you would fit in beautifully in Manhattan, and particularly SoHo, which is why I call shenanigans on that as well.

Ha, I really wouldn't, because I don't meet my own standards, and if I found myself in the dating pool again, would probably be lucky even to catch the interest of a Fusco type. Champagne taste on a beer budget, and all that.

Topic: I liked the new captain. Are they setting her up as a love interest for Reese?

I liked her a lot. It helps that I liked her in a past role, I guess, but she came off as tough enough to do her job without being a hard case. The actress is a little young, I think, but they interacted comfortably. I'm a Zoe fan, but I wouldn't mind some chemistry developing here.

Re: the nine million. That was a grant to the university. Universities have accounting departments, so Harold can't actually spend that money as he pleases. His salary? Yes. Not the full endowment of the chair he is occupying - What the money did was to buy him a job.  Given that the machine appears to be perfectly happy to do the "Research and publishing" part of the job, it is a near total sinecure, which is why he can spend so much time at HQ without blowing cover. I do however wonder... is the machine grading the papers his students turn in too? ;)

• Love 1

To elaborate on Harold's grant, most grants are spread out over a specific amount of time so that you are allotted a certain amount of money per year. In order to spend that money, purchases have to go through the department, meaning Harold doesn't have a credit card with a $9 million limit. Anything purchased with that grant money has to relate to his work, so they aren't just going to hand him a pile of cash and let him buy guns or give it to people who need to leave town and start over with a new identity. It's also standard for the university to take 20% of the grant total for operational costs. When you take all that into account, that money isn't going to help him a great deal right now (aside from his salary). He could get away with buying a laptop and some books, but most other things they need to keep saving people would not be eligible for purchase with his grant money.

• Love 4

The actress is a little young

I thought so too until I checked her age - 37 (which was older than I thought she looked).  But I was thinking she looked young to be a captain - still do.

I'm confused about the grant money discussion - I thought the bags of money last night belonged to the Latvian mobs that were going to buy the missile so since they were under the radar to begin with, Finch could use them to shore up the new bird cage.

• Love 2

First things first: OK, the suit is one thing, but Riley/Reese seriously needs to stop kneecapping people. If Samaritan won't ID him then some random perp will. That said, his smug look when the Captain congratulated him on his marksmanship was everything.

Secondly, THE DOLL CAM. The continuity on this show is beyond anything I’ve ever seen. So many callbacks. The writers are always rewarding the longtime viewers.

So. I LOVED this episode. I felt that every single character got a chance to shine.  No one got shortchanged even though Fusco was featured nicely. Root and Finch had a lot of great moments in their escapade, Fusco and the number were sweet and funny, Shaw and her BFF Bear kicked ass and Reese got to hang out with the new Captain. And all in a wonderfully paced episode.

Speaking of the new Captain, I love that addition. It gives the precinct a more homey vibe, like the cops there really are a team, like Reese really should be making an effort to act the part; not just for Lionel but for all the other honest cops there. In my opinion, you could see that Reese was thinking that too, after Fusco’s harsh words in the beginning. Also, the actress was great (I remember her from The Dark Knight too) and she had some really nice moments with JC. There was respect and a warmth, I thought. Also, even though she cautioned him re; the kneecapping, you could tell she got excited by his little schemes and bending-the-rules shenanigans. That little bit when he was all 'omg!' after she fake-chewed him out was especially hilarious. And the patches, and the purse. I loved the vibe the episode established between them. I don't know if it could become romantic; on another show I would be sure of it but PoI is different. Either way, great introduction to the character.

I also loved the opening conversation/almost fight between Fusco and Reese. It must sting to see Reese going all ninja with no regard for what it means to be a cop, especially for Fusco who struggled with that himself and managed (through Carter, it must be said) to regain his self-respect and his devotion to the shield. Very nice work by Kevin Chapman and Jim Caviezel in that scene. Fusco blew up, obviously having felt this way for a while, and you could see that Reese cut the bullshit in that one moment. JC's eyes lost that teasing glint and got that Jesus-y glaze. That said, damn but Fusco should maybe keep his voice down when talking about cover identities.

Again, all the actors shone last night. JC especially had so many great moments in this episode, Fusco-centric as it was. I loved that after he rescued Fusco he was all 'I couldn't let you die, I wanted to brag about how I'm a a great cop lol'. Aw. He cares. Michael Emerson also had fun; I always love it when he gets to be intimidating especially because he so rarely gets that chance on PoI. Was it me of did he exaggerate his limp during the missile purchase? Maybe to suggest he had gotten it in battle? If so, great detail. Root was her usual delightful and somewhat deranged, missile-happy self (plus we learned that her communication with the Machine is somewhat more limited now. I agree with the comment above, I don't think she knew anything in advance.). Shaw got to kick ass (as did Reese for that matter) and Sarah Shahi got to give us some great one-liners and reaction shots during Fusco's dating activities. I also loved her kicking off her heels and going back to her boots. Plus there was Bear, helping save the day at the end. Aw.

As for Fusco, well, was Reesing it up throughout the episode and I loved every minute of it. Badassery, identifying with the number, deadpanning jokes. Kevin Chapman must have had a blast. And I liked the number as well, the actor had a sweet earnesty to him.

What a fun but also heartwarming episode. Such a good start to the season.

• Love 4

I'm confused about the grant money discussion - I thought the bags of money last night belonged to the Latvian mobs that were going to buy the missile so since they were under the radar to begin with, Finch could use them to shore up the new bird cage.

That certainly is my understanding. Mob money. Grant money doesn't come in gym bags.

• Love 3

I thought the grant money was so that Finch would have a visible source of funding. I have to think that all that computer surveillance would flag the difference between someone's income and how much money they spend, which is why they all had to live on their salaries. The stolen mob money was so they'd have an unofficial revenue stream.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

Good episode.  I liked the new Captain too, I was worried but she seems decent. Making Reese take his cover seriously.  Loved Shaw's "fine but I'm taking the dog", when Reese bailed on her.

Finch getting his Ben Linus on was fun too, and I never liked Ben Linus.

But all credit goes to Kevin Chapman, Fusco never disappoints.  So glad he got the spotlight in this episode.  And it's time Reese started respecting him more and stop acting like he's still a dirty cop.

• Love 4

New Captain should have been Robin Weigert. #Life

(I do like her though.)

Bespectacled Man going all stone cold badass was, of course, beyond awesome.

Long Man's shit-eating grin in response to New Captain's compliments about his marksmanship was also beyond awesome.

At this point, I'm pretty sure that my favorite moments are the ones when Root reminds Bespectacled Man (and provides compelling evidence) of the fact that The Machine still loves her daddy, and is on his (their) side.

Root really has become quite the ally... and, dare I say it... friend to Our Team.

Not that I'd ever want to live in a world where Fusco isn't on POI, Kevin Chapman really could carry his own show. Whether a procedural, or a drama, or a sitcom. I'd watch the hell out of it, and I'd wager it would be great.

• Love 3

I thought the grant money was so that Finch would have a visible source of funding. I have to think that all that computer surveillance would flag the difference between someone's income and how much money they spend, which is why they all had to live on their salaries. The stolen mob money was so they'd have an unofficial revenue stream.

yeah the grant provided a "legitimate" job and salary for Harold's cover identity. The bags of cash are for off the book purchases/bribes/get out of town funds. 

• Love 2

Not that I'd ever want to live in a world where Fusco isn't on POI, Kevin Chapman really could carry his own show. Whether a procedural, or a drama, or a sitcom. I'd watch the hell out of it, and I'd wager it would be great.

Agreed! 

It really is fun when Finch pulls a little Ben Linus into play.  I'd like to see him do it in front of Reese and get Reese a bit unsettled since not a lot surprise him.

And thanks all for the explanation of why the grant money was relevant.  I lose focus eas....hey!  something shiny!

• Love 1

Yeah, I basically understood the grant to be a justification for Harold keeping his professorial job, given that the department chair seems not to like him very much and I'm sure Harold's going to be a bit, er, absent-minded as a professor. But, no matter how bad a professor may be, there's no way a university would ever cut ties with someone who brings in a $9 million grant (unless, you know, actual criminal activity)--so it lets Harold be bad at his day job if he needs to be.

Whereas yeah, the money from the mob can both fuel Team Machine's mission and also let Shaw, at least, eat more than ramen and two-buck chuck.

Andre Cooper turned out to be a real nice guy. Liked in the bar where he met Fusco.Shaw who was skeptical,told Lionel, "Looks like professional help has arrived". Andre, talked about yesterdays suit, and Shaw stated on earphone, "Holly Crap, it is yesterdays suit!" Lol. When he told they were going shopping, Fusco stated to Shaw, I think I know who is going to kill our guy, Me!" Nice he wasn't bad, and helped Fusco meet Angela. Hope we hear/see more of him dating.

Liked how Lionel took down the bf of the flirter at the first cocktail party. Then when Andre and Mickey exchanged greetings I knew something was up. Lionel held his own except when Shaw was subduing the trailer, and Fusco and Andre were grabbed by Mickey's gang outside. But Lionel got to punch him at ending. Fusco picking his cuffs in the storage trailer was a good thing, then Banging on the sides to attract Shaw/Bear/Reese's attentions. Lucky Reese was there on a case to help. Reese at the docks, "They never give you enough ammo" was so fun!

Loved how Reese interacted with his new Captain.First Captain Moreno bawled him and Fusco out for not closing cases. Also about the shooting Reese did from the top of the bus. She stated ,"I'm ready to fire me!", lol Later she congratulated Reese(and Fusco) on the job they did bringing in the bad guys. Nice how Reese worked it to have these cases match the Team Machine cases.
Fusco in the precinct house told Reese, "This is my real life, not some superhero identity,("Bruce Wayne" Reese). But I think it made an impact. They work good together. It isn't so much, "Reese saved Fusco by killing a bad cop, and holding it over him anymore".

Root and Finch(Mr. Egret) buying then selling(almost) the rocket launcher to the black market was kind of interesting. When Jerry got paid off by the Latvian Mob leader, something was going to happen. Leader Janis reminded me of the Russian team that Reese and Shaw were involved with at the Jewelery Store last season. Root telling Harold,"Have a little faith, Harry!' was funny. Then Finch deciding not to sell, and Root having to cap all the bad guys was cool. Then ofcourse Captain Moreno getting the tip that they are there. She though it almost was Reese who did it. There maybe dating in their future? Unless she finds out somehow about the man in the suit. Nice all the "ill gotten gains" , Root and Finch found in the Latvian Mobs stash.

I had an idea when Finch asked Root what are they going to do with a rocket launcher? Well firing it into Samaritans facility would work. lol With all the weapon hardware Reese and Carter used in the past, I bet it would come in handy.

Loved also how Shaw and Reese both used Finches computers. Seemed in old library that Reese had no idea how to use it.

With Harold's funds not where he can reach them, maybe Shaw and her gang can steal it back for him, lol They may also be needed to sneak into the Decima facility and steal something.Even though the team is capable of that with out Romeo and gangs help.

Edited by webruce

Indeed, Checkov's rocket launcher is a well-known literary trope.

I know other stuff happened, but holyshitHarrychannelingBenI'minlove is pretty much all I remember right now.

• Love 4
I had an idea when Finch asked root what are they going to do with a rocket launcher? Well firing it into Samaritans facility would work. lol

It most certainly would help, wouldn't it? I wonder if the Machine should be able to figure out Samaritan's physical location. I forgot, does Samaritan know about the Machine? If it does, it should probably make sure that its servers are housed somewhere at a very remote location with no cameras for miles around and no satellites trained on it. And that people servicing it never leave the site and get resupplied in a different way every time. 

Edited by shura

When Shaw suggested blowing up the facility in New Jersey, Root said it was only one of many server farms. And since it housed the crucial servers that are now protecting them, it needed to remain intact.

• Love 4

I was delighted by this episode, though I guess I disagree with most here that Harold-as-Egret was channeling Ben Linus. I thought he was doing his Reese imitation, especially with the lowered/raspy voice. And, yes, I watched Lost. Which, after that ending, I would prefer not to discuss. :^)

Fusco in lavender was a color choice that surprised me. Pleasantly. Particularly since the pocket square was used (by Bear!) to find him and Andre.

• Love 5

KindredSpirit, don't harsh my buzz! You're probably right (definitely so about that ending) and Ben would've brought more snark and sinisterness (word?) anyway, but beggars can't be choosers, any port in a storm, I take what I can get, etc.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2

Yes to that.  Oh, and Reese kneecapping a guy from the top of a bus.  That too.

Totally co-sign that.  LOL.

I kept wondering why Shaw was in a fitted tank top while everyone else was in long sleeves and suit coats.  She seems a little young for hot flashes.

Yes, me too!!!

Yeah, I basically understood the grant to be a justification for Harold keeping his professorial job, given that the department chair seems not to like him very much and I'm sure Harold's going to be a bit, er, absent-minded as a professor. But, no matter how bad a professor may be, there's no way a university would ever cut ties with someone who brings in a $9 million grant (unless, you know, actual criminal activity)--so it lets Harold be bad at his day job if he needs to be.

Exactly. The grant essentially guarantees his job security because no university would fire someone with a $9 million grant. It is standard for the university to take 20% for operational costs which means Harold's grant provides them with $1.8 million in revenue for the department. In addition, the grant covers his salary so the school basically gets him for free in exchange for giving him an office and putting his class on the schedule, regardless of how many people actually register for his class, so it's a win-win for the school. They aren't paying his salary and they get almost $2 million in exchange for letting him be there. In exchange, Harold has a legit job title and source of income. Several professors I know make over $100K and teach one class per year (not per semester), so this cover also allows Harold a lot of freedom with his time, unlike a 9-5 job.

• Love 1

I kept wondering why Shaw was in a fitted tank top while everyone else was in long sleeves and suit coats.  She seems a little young for hot flashes.

None of the other women in the galleries and "events" were in long sleeves, or in leather jackets, so in order for Shaw to blend, she had to go in like the others. It had nothing to do with hormones or age.

eta:  A)http://www.cbs.com/shows/person_of_interest/photos/1002480/season-4-episode-3/63928/finch-recruits-fusco-to-watch-over-the-latest-poi-in-wingman-s4e3/

B)http://www.cbs.com/shows/person_of_interest/photos/1002480/season-4-episode-3/63927/fusco-sticks-close-to-the-latest-poi-in-wingman-s4e3/

C)http://www.cbs.com/shows/person_of_interest/photos/1002480/season-4-episode-3/63932/approaching-women-becomes-the-least-of-fusco-s-worries-in-wingman-s4e3/

One woman in those pictures had a light jacket. There were plenty of dresses like Shaw's- sleeveless.  Yes, Sam is amazingly beautiful, but she was doing her job right.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 2
None of the other women in the galleries and "events" were in long sleeves, or in leather jackets, so in order for Shaw to blend, she had to go in like the others. It had nothing to do with hormones or age.

I meant in her "downtime" and throughout the entire episode, even when she was wearing pants, not just in the gallery or bar.   Short sleeves would be fine even, but it was distracting that she was always in a tank top.  Root had on a leather jacket.  Our men were in suits.  Shaw - tank top.

kept wondering why Shaw was in a fitted tank top while everyone else was in long sleeves and suit coats.  She seems a little young for hot flashes.

I wondered about this, too.  The point isn't that she was wearing a tank top at the gallery or bar - but she was wearing it during the action sequences.  I thought it was just sexist bs, didn't realizable she had a medical excuse (hot flashes).  Thanks, Aquarian1, for pointing that out.

• Love 1

Fusco in lavender was a color choice that surprised me. Pleasantly. Particularly since the pocket square was used (by Bear!) to find him and Andre.

Whoever does the wardrobe for POI needs to take a bow, because I thought Fusco looked just gorgeous in that lavender and steel blue sports coat. Really brought out his nice skin and eye colour. I don't know about anybody else, but I would have had a drink with him, he looked so much more normal and pleasant than many guys you see promenading round bars.

• Love 4

Much much better than last week.  It was nice to have an enjoyable mostly stand-alone episode of the traditional variety without being a piece of the bigger Samaritan puzzle for once.  I was thrilled for the team at the end that they now have lots of money, weapons and resources.  It's always nice to see Fusco play a role, and the number of the week had decent likeability, though moreso towards the end.  The new captain wasn't bad though they had one too many scenes with her.  

• Love 5