Type keyword(s) to search

Rory and Jess

• Start Topic

I want Rory and Jess because they have the best chemistry IMO, but also because I love him as an individual character.  He had his own story, and is interesting, while Dean and even Logan, even though less so than Dean, were just the boyfriends.  

Now I am watching Jess and Rory in Season 3.

They have the pinnacle moment where Jess researches where Yale is so that he knows how close in proximity he'll be to Rory in the following year, and Alexis actually being genuinely cute (not annoyingly cute) with the "You looked it up" refrain.  Um, and Milo is just staggeringly handsome in the entire sequence.  "Do you Yahoo?"  "I was bored.. I had nothing to do."   Gar.

And then all of this gets ruined when he acts pissy at a house party with her and basically tries to pull off Rory's pants in a bedroom upstairs even though she clearly isn't into it.  I guess they had to torpedo the character of Jess with Rory to make room for that spinoff that didn't come to pass.

• Love 3
(edited)

Okay, so fair warning: this post comes from a very pro-Rory/Jess lens. I'm really excited for the revival and my biggest wish is for Rory and Jess to end up together. I'm not sure if this is likely, and I can think of quite a few reasons they're maybe not a great match, but I can't help but root for them. The main reason I've always liked them together has to do with the chemistry between the actors. IMO, they have the best chemistry of any couple on the show. However, as I've been rewatching the series, I've discovered another explanation for my love for them as a pair. It actually has a lot to do with Rory's character arc.

One of the most interesting themes of the show, IMO, is Rory being stuck between two worlds: Lorelai's world and Emily and Richard's world. We see this right from the beginning, like in episode 3 of season 1, where she starts bonding with Richard. The reason I'm so interested to see who Rory ends up with (if anyone) is that I feel like it represents (at least in part) her decision about which world she belongs to. IMO, Logan represents Emily's world (high society) and Dean represents Lorelai's world (small town life).  We see this in Emily and Lorelai's reactions to Rory's boyfriends: Emily is Team Logan from the beginning and Lorelai is pretty consistently Team Dean. So I think part of what appeals to me about the Rory/Jess pairing is that it comes from Rory herself, and not from outside pressure. I feel like the Jess crush in season 2 is when we start to see Rory breaking away from Lorelai a little more and figuring out who she is on her own. I like the idea of her choosing Jess because, to me, it represents her choosing for herself, rather than doing what everyone else tells her is best.

I'm not saying I don't want Rory to be part of Lorelai and Emily's worlds. I love her relationships with them. I just really like the idea of her finding a happy balance between the two. To me, Jess represents the best of both worlds: he's well-read and adventurous (unlike Dean) but he isn't a snob like the Huntzbergers. IMO, Rory doesn't quite belong to the high society life (season 6 is a perfect demonstration of this) but she's also outgrown small town life. I can see her and Jess living in a big city and having lots of adventures while still being lowkey and down to earth. 

I'm glad the series ended with Rory single and ready to go out into the world, and I would be fine if the revival ends the same way. But if she has to end up with someone, I feel like a Rory/Jess endgame comes closest to honouring Original Rory, whom I miss dearly. We saw later-season Rory change herself to be with Logan. What I liked about Jess was that he brought out a new side of Rory but that she still seemed like herself while she was with him. She may have done a couple of questionable things (like miss her mom's graduation), but there was never a point at which I was like "wow, this is so out of character; what were the writers thinking?!" I had several of those moments with Rory in seasons 5 and 6 when she was with Dean and then Logan.

I know a lot of people will disagree with all of this. I do think there are several issues with the Rory/Jess relationship, particularly what we saw of it in season 3. But overall, if they manage to maintain the growth we saw from Jess in season 6, I feel like he's the best match for Rory. 

Edited by Katherine
  • Love 15
6 hours ago, Katherine said:

Okay, so fair warning: this post comes from a very pro-Rory/Jess lens. I'm really excited for the revival and my biggest wish is for Rory and Jess to end up together. I'm not sure if this is likely, and I can think of quite a few reasons they're maybe not a great match, but I can't help but root for them. The main reason I've always liked them together has to do with the chemistry between the actors. IMO, they have the best chemistry of any couple on the show. However, as I've been rewatching the series, I've discovered another explanation for my love for them as a pair. It actually has a lot to do with Rory's character arc.

One of the most interesting themes of the show, IMO, is Rory being stuck between two worlds: Lorelai's world and Emily and Richard's world. We see this right from the beginning, like in episode 3 of season 1, where she starts bonding with Richard. The reason I'm so interested to see who Rory ends up with (if anyone) is that I feel like it represents (at least in part) her decision about which world she belongs to.

(parts snipped)

A lovely, well-thought out post.

I would suggest that Rory will not have to choose, but instead will forge a life that is her own.

She has access to or has a lot of money, depending on Richard and Christopher decisions over trusts, inheritance, etc. She also knows how money provides access, which will be important for a journalism career. She also has love for her SH roots.

I expect she will behave like most successful college graduates - she takes the best of her past, but moves forward taking advantage of what she gained by her college education. By doing that, the question changes - which of her former partners could or is willing to adapt to her needs?

Logan has already struggled with Rory wanting to be on her own timeline. Jess will likely struggle with the money and connections side, even if he becomes a financial success. Dean is out of the picture, no longer fitting in anywhere.

A thirty year old Rory should be far more confident than the Yale Rory. It will be interesting to see what happens.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Katherine said:

One of the most interesting themes of the show, IMO, is Rory being stuck between two worlds: Lorelai's world and Emily and Richard's world. We see this right from the beginning, like in episode 3 of season 1, where she starts bonding with Richard. The reason I'm so interested to see who Rory ends up with (if anyone) is that I feel like it represents (at least in part) her decision about which world she belongs to. IMO, Logan represents Emily's world (high society) and Dean represents Lorelai's world (small town life).  We see this in Emily and Lorelai's reactions to Rory's boyfriends: Emily is Team Logan from the beginning and Lorelai is pretty consistently Team Dean. So I think part of what appeals to me about the Rory/Jess pairing is that it comes from Rory herself, and not from outside pressure. I feel like the Jess crush in season 2 is when we start to see Rory breaking away from Lorelai a little more and figuring out who she is on her own. I like the idea of her choosing Jess because, to me, it represents her choosing for herself, rather than doing what everyone else tells her is best.

I'm not saying I don't want Rory to be part of Lorelai and Emily's worlds. I love her relationships with them. I just really like the idea of her finding a happy balance between the two. To me, Jess represents the best of both worlds: he's well-read and adventurous (unlike Dean) but he isn't a snob like the Huntzbergers. IMO, Rory doesn't quite belong to the high society life (season 6 is a perfect demonstration of this) but she's also outgrown small town life. I can see her and Jess living in a big city and having lots of adventures while still being lowkey and down to earth. 

I'm glad the series ended with Rory single and ready to go out into the world, and I would be fine if the revival ends the same way. But if she has to end up with someone, I feel like a Rory/Jess endgame comes closest to honouring Original Rory, whom I miss dearly. We saw later-season Rory change herself to be with Logan. What I liked about Jess was that he brought out a new side of Rory but that she still seemed like herself while she was with him. She may have done a couple of questionable things (like miss her mom's graduation), but there was never a point at which I was like "wow, this is so out of character; what were the writers thinking?!" I had several of those moments with Rory in seasons 5 and 6 when she was with Dean and then Logan.

I know a lot of people will disagree with all of this. I do think there are several issues with the Rory/Jess relationship, particularly what we saw of it in season 3. But overall, if they manage to maintain the growth we saw from Jess in season 6, I feel like he's the best match for Rory. 

I love this.   I'm very much pro jess as well but love your reasoning.  I'll personally be surprised if she doesn't end up with one of them because having her end up alone would just leave her in the same place as the original finale and I don't think they'd do that.  I want to see what happens with Jess now that he's older and more mature.  I think they had the best chemistry but never really got a chance to have a real relationship. 

• Love 8
On 5/7/2016 at 11:51 PM, Katherine said:

So I think part of what appeals to me about the Rory/Jess pairing is that it comes from Rory herself, and not from outside pressure. I feel like the Jess crush in season 2 is when we start to see Rory breaking away from Lorelai a little more and figuring out who she is on her own. I like the idea of her choosing Jess because, to me, it represents her choosing for herself, rather than doing what everyone else tells her is best.

That's a pretty amazing insight.  I love this!

• Love 2

I have to say I recently rewatched Gilmore Girls and for the first time, I actually really shipped Rory and Jess. :) I love how it was literally an instant connection. And they just get each other. I always thought it would be weird if they got together because of Luke and Lorelai but I guess they're not technically related so I sort of hope they're the endgame in the revival. :)

• Love 2

Yes to everything in your post @Katherine. The whole narrative with Rory between two worlds - Lorelai/Stars Hollow vs. the Grandparents/high society - was why I could never get on board with Logan as end game. He and his background seemed to drown out Rory's small town, quirky roots.

On 07/05/2016 at 4:51 PM, Katherine said:

That's such great insight that Jess was Rory's choice, not anyone else's. So many of Rory's choices were influenced by other people - rewatching I'm struck by just how passive she was. But unlike Lorelai-endorsed-Dean or Grandparents-endorsed-Logan, her friendship with Jess was something that was purely her. He wasn't even part of the power struggle between Lorelai and the grandparents because they both hated him, it was very much them Us Against the World type situation. Even the fact that Rory/Jess bonded over books is interesting because reading was always what Rory was passionate about above everything else, but not something anyone else shared with her. (Richard and Paris enjoyed reading and discussing literature too, but not to the level of Rory and Jess). So there was definitely a factor that Jess "got" a part of Rory that no one else did. His whole S6 claim of "I know you, I know you better than anybody" is something the show implicitly supports in him pulling her back to herself when no on else could. Rory being with Jess was a rare decision that was based on her feelings not to fulfil expectations. And as a big part of her character development was being more assertive and independent - though they screwed that up - choosing the boy no one would have picked for her, but she chose for herself would bring that full circle.

On 07/05/2016 at 4:51 PM, Katherine said:

On 07/05/2016 at 11:19 PM, junienmomo said:

I would suggest that Rory will not have to choose, but instead will forge a life that is her own.

She has access to or has a lot of money, depending on Richard and Christopher decisions over trusts, inheritance, etc. She also knows how money provides access, which will be important for a journalism career. She also has love for her SH roots.

I expect she will behave like most successful college graduates - she takes the best of her past, but moves forward taking advantage of what she gained by her college education. By doing that, the question changes - which of her former partners could or is willing to adapt to her needs?

Logan has already struggled with Rory wanting to be on her own timeline. Jess will likely struggle with the money and connections side, even if he becomes a financial success. Dean is out of the picture, no longer fitting in anywhere.

A thirty year old Rory should be far more confident than the Yale Rory. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I think Rory will absolutely build a life with the best of both worlds and that's a good point in how her prospective partners would deal with the two sides of her. Dean couldn't deal with her Grandparents world while Logan had almost zero contact with her Stars Hollow world. With Jess she could definitely build her "own" world - intellectual, city type life. (It's hard not to see her trips to New York and Philly as representative of the kind of life she could have with him - more so because those two trips are the few times we see Rory in a different place, especially without her grandparents or Lorelai). But how would he deal with everything else? Old Jess loathed both SH and her grandparents at first - New & Improved Jess seems to have made peace with Luke, Liz and SH but I agree he'd definitely still struggle with the high society life, we didn't see enough to him to know if he'd work through that maturely. 

Edited by TimetravellingBW
  • Love 6

Just started season 7 on my pre-GG revival rewatch.  Katherine, I have to say that your post is very insightful.  I was always anti-Dean, anti-Jess and anti-Logan.  Didn't like any of them.  Dean because of his whininess and...well...the adultery.  Jess because of his surliness and Logan because he just was not a good person and I couldn't see someone like him ever changing.  Anyway, for me, the rematch sealed the deal for Jess.  Throughout the series, Jess was always the one Rory was drawn to.  From beginning to end, Jess showed the most growth as a human being and the most maturity while retaining who he actually was as a person.  Dean never changed - he remained surly and selfish and Logan never changed either.  He tried to but he could never rise above his upbringing which was more toxic than the Gilmores.  Emily and Richard were Ward and June compared to the Huntzenbergers.  I'd love to see a Rory/Jess ending to the Netflix revival am not holding my breath.

• Love 5

Ah, Rory/Jess---the couple I kind of hate to love ;) Seriously, our discussions here are always so interesting because I find myself nodding vigorously along with both pro-Jess AND anti-Jess posts. Objectively, Jess as an individual and Rory/Jess's relationship were problematic for me. And Jess is not really a guy I'd love much in real life (though, to be fair, I'm a weirdo who probably wouldn't especially like or click with ANY of the GG males in real life except maybe Digger, Brian and/or Dave Rygalski!) But subjectively I just can't help but see this almost magical, enduring connection between them, and for me it extends beyond physical attraction and chemistry. I just see them as instinctively 'getting' each other, of powerfully connecting and understanding each other on all levels as neither does with anyone else. I've never quite been able to shake the sense that they're meant to be even at times when I really didn't want to feel that way. And rewatching Jess's appearances in S6 kind of solidifies it for me---he just seems genuinely happier and vastly more mature and together, yet he's still quintessentially snarky, prickly, defiantly independent Jess, so it's not like that growth feels false or unnatural to me.  I can't defend much about their S3 relationship, but by S6 I felt like they could have something a lot happier and healthier the next time around.

My real dream for Rory is that she ends up realizing she's meant to be an English teacher, but I have to admit that as the revival draws closer, I'm holding out hope that she and Jess end up together or at least with the potential to be :)  

• Love 3

If ASP doesn't let them finally have sex in the revival, I'm going to be furious.

Of course, they're both older now and the actors have personal history. ASP could probably get away with avoiding it and no one would be furious.

But I personally don't want them friend-zoned...and Lord knows Rory needs one good sex scene in her life.

But yeah, I probably would hate Jess in real life too. He's so smug, it's hard to like him. Slightly-less-smug older Jess would still annoy me. And the fact that they had such crazy chemistry that Rory was compromising herself (making out on Luke's couch, running off to NY, lying to Dean) while Jess, smarty pants that he was, didn't treat her like gold and instead jerked her around? Not cool. She was putty in his hands and he didn't value that at all... 

• Love 3

ASP and the actors about the relationship in the latest EW:

Amy Sherman Palladino: We always played that Rory and Jess saw each other for what they were. And that was the great thing about their relationship. He really got her.

Alexis Bledel: They always had an intellectual connection, and he pushed her out of her comfort zone. That was a big part of their relationship.

Milo Ventimiglia: Jess was always a troublemaker, but when you take a troublemaker that's grown up, they are an instigator and, more so, a thought provoker. That's the role that Jess filled, particularly with Rory.

• Love 5

I still can never stop feeling like they're meant to be. And while I don't agree with ASP on all that much, I do love how the thing she singled out about them in the above quote is 

We always played that Rory and Jess saw each other for what they were. And that was the great thing about their relationship. He really got her.

I know many here disagree, but that sums it up for me. I just believed that they instinctively connected and got each other more than either ever did or could with anyone else. In case anyone else here still ships them and happens to be on Tumblr:

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/literati-turn-right

Your five favorite Literati episodes in order? I would pick Lorelai's Graduation Day, LMHYBRO, Teach Me Tonight, Let the Games Begin and, for some reason, The Real Paul Anka, but it changes every time I watch the show! 

• Love 4

I was thinking about this, among skimming the Jess hate fest, and I've never considered RJ an opposites attract type couple. Yeah, he's the "bad boy" from the city and she's the "good girl" from a small town but I always liked that that wasn't what attracted them to each other. It was what they had in common. I like to think for Jess it was when he saw her book collection and I think for Rory, her first sign of intrigue (not falling for him yet, just piquing her interest) was when he told her he read Howl about 40 times. That's one of my favorite RJ scenes, also because I just love Girl from Mars.

• Love 2
On 10/7/2014 at 3:25 PM, DisneyBoy said:

They had great chemistry, and while I'm frustrated his last appearances were so brief, I liked that the show didn't necessarily force us down a Rory and Jess 4 Eva route, because frankly, they were both too young to really get serious with each other.

What chemistry?  All I saw was a bunch of posturing.

• Love 3

F a n t a s t i c chemistry, especially in the scene when he turns off the sprinkler. That's the shit teenage girls' dreams are made of. I would've killed for a moment like that during the Pacey/Joey build-up.

• Love 2