Type keyword(s) to search

Twin Peaks Is Getting A Reboot On Showtime

Same here.  My initial reaction to the general concept of a follow-up is, "Oh, just leave it alone."  But seeing that it's only nine episodes, all of which will be controlled by Lynch and Frost, and which they don't have to get on the air until 2016, I completely change course and think they'll be great.

I have mixed feelings about this. I am excited to see what has happened since last time but I've been burned too many times by them never being able to recapture the magic from the original...

Was this planned all along by Lynch or was all the "25 years later..." stuff coincidental?

Was this planned all along by Lynch or was all the "25 years later..." stuff coincidental?

More opportunistic than coincidental, I'd guess. That scene was filmed and in the can before the series pilot had aired. Lynch is good, but I doubt even he would've suspected how (or even if) the series would be regarded a quarter-century later.

I suspect when it occurred to Lynch the 25-year mark was rolling up, he just decided to shop around the "TP: 25 Years Later" idea and see if anybody bit - and lo and behold.... ;)

More opportunistic than coincidental, I'd guess. That scene was filmed and in the can before the series pilot had aired. Lynch is good, but I doubt even he would've suspected how (or even if) the series would be regarded a quarter-century later.

I suspect when it occurred to Lynch the 25-year mark was rolling up, he just decided to shop around the "TP: 25 Years Later" idea and see if anybody bit - and lo and behold.... ;)

According to Mark Frost, the two of them (he and Lynch) remained friends through the years and would have lunch on occasion, and as it came nearer to 25 years later they started bantering about that being an opportune time to revisit the series and how they might carry on the story 25 years later.  Once they'd had ideas good enough that they both thought it was worth pursuing, one of the first people they approached was Gary Levine, a Showtime exec who happened to be an exec at ABC during the original run and was a big champion of the show at the time.  It sounds like they never really had to shop it around anywhere else. 

• Love 1

According to Mark Frost, the two of them (he and Lynch) remained friends through the years and would have lunch on occasion, and as it came nearer to 25 years later they started bantering about that being an opportune time to revisit the series and how they might carry on the story 25 years later.  Once they'd had ideas good enough that they both thought it was worth pursuing, one of the first people they approached was Gary Levine, a Showtime exec who happened to be an exec at ABC during the original run and was a big champion of the show at the time.  It sounds like they never really had to shop it around anywhere else. 

A stellar demonstration that Gary Levine is NOT an idiot.

• Love 1

Mr. Lynch, we'd like to all know if "not enough money was offered to do the script the way I felt it needed to be done" means your salary, or what they promised to put into production.

See, I'm not sure he has a realistic grasp on the current market.  

Either that, or as Sepinwall suggests, maybe Lynch is just realizing he can't pull it off and this is a way to save face.  Although I'm not sure how competent a face saving attempt this is if it implies he's bitching about not being paid enough.  Also, lets face it.  He's not a moneymaker for anyone.  The Elephant Man, 35 years ago, is the only project of his that ever made any significant money (and even then not really--it's just that $26m was a lot more in those days)

• Love 1

Damn. 

From the article:

Whatever the reason, I suppose this spares us the potential of huge disappointment if the alchemy couldn't be recreated after so much time away from this universe. But whether it was good or bad, I just wanted to see them try.

I wasn't confident they'd be able to bring back the magic, especially since they lost the magic back when the show was on 25 years ago. But yeah, I wanted to see them try. If it turned out to be a flop, it would be a flop that I'd watch anyway.

And what Kromm says above is right. To me, Lynch always danced on the line between genius and bad ideas, crossing to the latter more often than he should.

• Love 2

Mr. Lynch, we'd like to all know if "not enough money was offered to do the script the way I felt it needed to be done" means your salary, or what they promised to put into production.

If you take DL's tweets at face value, it sounds like the latter. I got the impression Showtime may have been trying to cash in on the TP mystique on the cheap - and Lynch has NEVER worked that way (reference Dune).

See, I'm not sure he has a realistic grasp on the current market.  

Either that, or as Sepinwall suggests, maybe Lynch is just realizing he can't pull it off and this is a way to save face.  Although I'm not sure how competent a face saving attempt this is if it implies he's bitching about not being paid enough.  Also, lets face it.  He's not a moneymaker for anyone.  The Elephant Man, 35 years ago, is the only project of his that ever made any significant money (and even then not really--it's just that $26m was a lot more in those days)

At no point in his career do I recall Lynch ever giving the impression he gave the tinniest of shits about "the market" - so I'd be kinda surprised if he started now. :)

Whether or not they accurately reflect the situation, his statement indicates he's talking about the budget for the production, not for his salary/percentage.  For now, I'm going to assume it's a negotiation ploy and this will still happen.  Of course, Showtime may very well tell him to pick up his toys and go home, then.  We'll see.

• Love 1

At no point in his career do I recall Lynch ever giving the impression he gave the tinniest of shits about "the market" - so I'd be kinda surprised if he started now. :)

It's his arrogance then, I suppose.  

A budget on Showtime is going to be huge compared to a network TV budget these days, but it makes me wonder where his head is at (if its even true and he's not using the idea as an excuse) because it's not like ANY of his projects other than Dune even HAD a big budget ($40 million was a lot for 1984--Return of the Jedi, the year before only cost less than that).   

Unless he's got some totally crazy idea for a reboot involving lots of effects, or lots of extras, or grand vistas that are expensive to film, Twin Peaks is mainly a character driven piece, with a limited number of characters, and more indoor sets than exterior, no budget needed for expensive real world locations, etc.  Even if Showtime was only willing to commit to lets say.... 3 million per episode, how could that possibly NOT have been enough?   I mean this is all guesswork, but given that shows on premium cable routinely get budgets much higher than that, how low could it really have been?

It's his arrogance then, I suppose.  

Arrogance, or artistic integrity; people will pick whichever they want it to be.

I think it's still early days to call one way or another - but hey, maybe that's just me.

A budget on Showtime is going to be huge compared to a network TV budget these days, but it makes me wonder where his head is at (if its even true and he's not using the idea as an excuse) because it's not like ANY of his projects other than Dune even HAD a big budget ($40 million was a lot for 1984--Return of the Jedi, the year before only cost less than that).   

Unless he's got some totally crazy idea for a reboot involving lots of effects, or lots of extras, or grand vistas that are expensive to film, Twin Peaks is mainly a character driven piece, with a limited number of characters, and more indoor sets than exterior, no budget needed for expensive real world locations, etc.  Even if Showtime was only willing to commit to lets say.... 3 million per episode, how could that possibly NOT have been enough?   I mean this is all guesswork, but given that shows on premium cable routinely get budgets much higher than that, how low could it really have been?

First thing which popped to my mind was maybe one or more of his original shooting sites - and one (or more) critically important to Lynch's redux concept - had become altered beyond usability over the course of the last quarter-century. Which might require large-scale construction of shooting replacements. Even if we're only talking facades - what's the price tag for a small town? :)

• Love 1
(edited)

Until I hear otherwise (and I'm sure Showtime will feed "Lynch's demands were crazy" stories to eager reporters soon enough if they can't reel him back in), I'm willing to take Lynch's statement at face value.

I have no trouble believing that, upon assessing the completed scripts, Lynch would arrive at a number necessary to film them. I also have no trouble believing that he'd be willing to walk away from the project if that number wasn't met.

Then again, I also have no trouble believing that his number might be one that some suit would deem wholly unreasonable.

Edited by alynch
  • Love 1
(edited)

Well, they're begging him to come back and the actors are also revolting on his behalf, so we'll see where it goes. I personally suspect they will all reach an agreement. Showtime very publicly committed themselves to the show and to drive out its major auteur would cripple them and the project, and utterly humiliate them.

Edited by jsbt

...First thing which popped to my mind was maybe one or more of his original shooting sites - and one (or more) critically important to Lynch's redux concept - had become altered beyond usability over the course of the last quarter-century. Which might require large-scale construction of shooting replacements. Even if we're only talking facades - what's the price tag for a small town? :)

That sounds logical. Plus, David Lynch is no spring chicken. Maybe he required some pricey creature comforts to enable him to keep up with what could be a grueling shooting schedule.

It's very sad news. The timing is especially sad, with production on the new season just underway. The Log Lady was a quintessential and irreplaceable slice of the Twin Peaks universe. Lynch was very close friends with Coulson for many years so I have no doubt that the Log Lady's presence will be lovingly felt in the new season.

• Love 2

In true David Lynch fashion, prepare to learn... nothing.

Also, there is an official synopsis for the reboot:

Widely considered one of the most groundbreaking and influential broadcast series of all time, TWIN PEAKS followed the inhabitants of a quaint northwestern town who were stunned after their homecoming queen Laura Palmer was shockingly murdered. The town’s sheriff welcomed the help of FBI agent Dale Cooper, who came to town to investigate the case. As Cooper conducted his search for Laura’s killer, the town’s secrets were gradually exposed. The mystery that ensued set off an eerie chain of events that plunged the inhabitants of Twin Peaks into a darker examination of their very existence. Twenty-five years later, the story continues…
  • Love 4

Also, there is an official synopsis for the reboot:

Widely considered one of the most groundbreaking and influential broadcast series of all time, TWIN PEAKS followed the inhabitants of a quaint northwestern town who were stunned after their homecoming queen Laura Palmer was shockingly murdered. The town’s sheriff welcomed the help of FBI agent Dale Cooper, who came to town to investigate the case. As Cooper conducted his search for Laura’s killer, the town’s secrets were gradually exposed. The mystery that ensued set off an eerie chain of events that plunged the inhabitants of Twin Peaks into a darker examination of their very existence. Twenty-five years later, the story continues…

Maybe I need new glasses, but IMHO the only part of that which applied in any way to the REBOOT was the very last sentence.  :>

• Love 2

Showtime will air all of S1 this Saturday (14th).. I might watch it even though I have multiple ways to view the show. I like they are doing it. They will also air a S2 marathon in Feb. 

Edited by ShadowHunter

I hope Sherly Lee does not get wrapped in plastic again. They did that to her twice already. I know she said had the show continued she was suppose to show up in S3 playing another character.  I wonder if that's who she might be in the reboot but I don't think they will be doing that.

Can anyone summarize who, of the main original cast members, is still living but isn't on board? It seems as though many of them are (if only for one ep, in many cases) but I was surprised that Ontkean and Michael Anderson are apparently missing. Who else isn't involved? Happy to see recent Showtime promos with MacLachlan, Ashbrook, and Marshall.

The reviews for this should be interesting.

I don't think I'm going to re-watch the previous seasons or that movie, which I didn't see.  I think I started to fade away from it towards the end of the TV run.

So really the burden will be on them to make the new episodes stand on their own, even if people haven't seen the series before or haven't seen it in 20 years or however long it's been, because I suspect that most people who check this series out will be in a similar circumstance, not having seen or thought about the show in decades.

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 9:00 PM, Moxie Cat said:

Can anyone summarize who, of the main original cast members, is still living but isn't on board? It seems as though many of them are (if only for one ep, in many cases) but I was surprised that Ontkean and Michael Anderson are apparently missing. Who else isn't involved? Happy to see recent Showtime promos with MacLachlan, Ashbrook, and Marshall.

I believe Lara Flynn Boyle, Piper Laurie, Joan Chen and Eric Da Re. Also missing is Heather Graham.  They are all still alive.  

They could show up but it seems they are not involved.

On 3/1/2017 at 8:00 PM, Moxie Cat said:

Piper Laurie (played Catherine Martell) was lobbying hard for a slot on the reboot, I believe, but Lynch reportedly couldn't come up with a continuing plot line for her which was relevant to the rest of what he had planned.  Not really all that surprising, really, considering (a) she and Joan Chen (Josie Packard) are the only actors remaining alive from the entire Packard/Martell story line, and (b) Chen's character Josie was killed off in the original series.

10 minutes ago, ShadowHunter said:

I believe Lara Flynn Boyle, Piper Laurie, Joan Chen and Eric Da Re. Also missing is Heather Graham.  They are all still alive.  

So no Donna? (Not even the Moira version, lol?) I won't really miss the Packard storyline, but LFB and Heather Graham were fairly central to the main goings-on. Last thing I saw Graham in was the Lifetime reboot of Flowers in the Attic - it's a shame she can't wrap up the Annie storyline. And unless I misread, the actor who played Doc Hayward appears in the new show (and was one of those who passed away after filming) so Donna's absence will be weird.

Just now, Moxie Cat said:

So no Donna? (Not even the Moira version, lol?) I won't really miss the Packard storyline, but LFB and Heather Graham were fairly central to the main goings-on. Last thing I saw Graham in was the Lifetime reboot of Flowers in the Attic - it's a shame she can't wrap up the Annie storyline. And unless I misread, the actor who played Doc Hayward appears in the new show (and was one of those who passed away after filming) so Donna's absence will be weird.

No mention of Moira Kelly either. Agree about the Packard storyline.

They may tell us what happened with Annie.

1 hour ago, jsbt said:

The movie is important to the show and the new series. I'd suggest watching it.

Can someone recap it, a few paragraphs in spoiler tags?

(edited)

That would be difficult to do. It's largely a prequel. A number of actors/characters and concepts from just the movie will be returning to the new show, including Harry Dean Stanton (seen in a recent teaser). The Wikipedia synopsis may help you but I'd watch it if you have a Showtime subscription - as well as at least some of the original show if you need a refresher (maybe the pilot, the first and second episode, episodes 8, 14-16 and potentially the last two or three if you're in a rush).

To my knowledge the new show is not designed as a clean slate for new fans, it's just what Lynch personally wanted to do. I don't believe it will be continuing beyond the 18 new episodes.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1

Of the Hayward clan:

• Only Warren Frost (Doc Hayward) makes an appearance in the redux; all of his scenes were already in the can before he passed away this February.
  • Mary Jo Deschanel (Eileen Hayward), it appears, has pretty much retired from acting.
  • Neither of the Donnas (Lara Flynn Boyle / Moira Kelly) were invited to return.  Moira Kelly's non-inclusion was most likely because of the TP fan base's negative response to Kelly's reprisal of Donna in FWWM.  Advertised reasons for Boyle's exclusion are more mixed; depending upon who/what you read, either LFB declined, Lynch didn't want to work with LFB any more, or Lynch couldn't come up with an organic evolution of the Donna character - take your pick.

In any case, the Haywards as a plot line appear to have joined Elvis in leaving the building.  We can but hope Lynch has another path in mind for expounding upon the question of whether or not Benjamin Horne was Donna's father.  Enquiring minds want to know!  :)

• Love 1