Type keyword(s) to search

Twin Peaks Is Getting A Reboot On Showtime

They couldn't have announced this before I spent nearly $100 on the Blu-Ray set that is sure to be re-released in future with these new episodes added?

If you haven't opened it yet, it could perhaps be a birthday, Christmas, or whatever gift to someone else.

Oh. My. God.

I'm speechless, too, and super excited and super afraid. It's one of my favorite show, ever.

Please make it good, make it great, make it perfect! Make it Original Cherry Pie Recipe Twin Peaks (with my favorite alive: Coop and Truman and Audrey version 1.0 and Hawk and Albert and Norma and Major Briggs and Big Ed and lots of donuts!)

• Love 2

They couldn't have announced this before I spent nearly $100 on the Blu-Ray set that is sure to be re-released in future with these new episodes added?

Think of it this way... the $100 you (and I) spent contributed to convincing Showtime that this would indeed be a financially feasible venture for them.

I literally did a happy dance when I found out.  It is happening again!  That gum you like is going to come back in style!

Oh. My. God.

I'm speechless, too, and super excited and super afraid. It's one of my favorite show, ever.

Please make it good, make it great, make it perfect! 

The thing that makes me feel so assured that this will be worth it... all nine episodes written by Lynch and Frost, and directed by Lynch.  Next time you rewatch the first two seasons, pay attention, when the show was at it's absolute finest, who was writing and who was directing.  The big reason for the terrible lag in season 2 was because Lynch and Frost were not involved in a day to day capacity (Lynch had turned his attention to Wild at Heart).  This simply won't happen again with these two guys directly involved with every episode.

• Love 1

The thing that makes me feel so assured that this will be worth it... all nine episodes written by Lynch and Frost, and directed by Lynch.

Same here.  My initial reaction to the general concept of a follow-up is, "Oh, just leave it alone."  But seeing that it's only nine episodes, all of which will be controlled by Lynch and Frost, and which they don't have to get on the air until 2016, I completely change course and think they'll be great.

Edited by Bastet

More than anything else, even my Twin Peaks fandom, I'm just glad that Lynch is directing something again. He hasn't done anything since Inland Empire, which will mean a gap of a decade by the time these air.

Hmm, I watched the original, but I'm not sure I'm going to watch this. After Lost, I no longer have any patience for shows with a lot of questions, indecipherable plots, & not a lot of reasonable answers. 

• Love 1

Hmm, I watched the original, but I'm not sure I'm going to watch this. After Lost, I no longer have any patience for shows with a lot of questions, indecipherable plots, & not a lot of reasonable answers. 

As to the Lost comparison, the creators of Lost were able to close out the story on their terms.  That hasn't been the case with Twin Peaks until now (hopefully... and I do think they should close out the story with these 9 episodes).  As to the rest of your complaints, yeah, Twin Peaks is not your cup of coffee.  If you make a habit of going into coffee shops and telling the patrons you don't like the coffee there and won't drink it, I do hope you find it time well spent.

• Love 1

I don't know. How many of the original cast can they get? The actors really made the show. It wouldn't be the same with different actors and characters.

Kyle Machlachlan seems to be confirming his interest on Twitter, so that's a safe bet.  I suspect they can get a lot of key cast members to return, but we'll have to see.  One cast member who can't return, and whose absence will be a challenge to overcome, is Frank Silva, who played the evil spirit Bob.  He passed away some time ago.  Same with Jack Nance (though Pete's absence will be less of a narrative hurdle -- he was pretty much killed off in the Season 2 finale).

Edited by Ronin Jackson
  • Love 1

I'd like to do a limited rewatch - does anyone know of a list of what Season 2 episodes are actually worth rewatching? (Hmm, could be a valuable public service for a certain TV-focused website with a history of doing rewatches to provide.

The thing that makes me feel so assured that this will be worth it... all nine episodes written by Lynch and Frost, and directed by Lynch.

Yes, I would feel as horrified as I was at the idea of an X-files reboot if the original creators weren't involved. But G.Lucas directed the Phantom Menace...so I can't help but be a little bit afraid, still. I'm more optimistic than afraid, though!

I'd like to do a limited rewatch - does anyone know of a list of what Season 2 episodes are actually worth rewatching?

For me, the episodes are great including the "Reveal", and still good until episode 22. I actually liked the first part of the post-Laura Palmer case Twin Peaks, the plot against Cooper -the last time imo that Audrey was allowed to use her brains- and the arrival of Denise Bryson. This episode, with Windom's "present" in the Sheriff's office, was I think the last cliffhanger I liked. Then, the writing went completely downhill imo (and OK, my 16 year-old shipping heart was crushed WTF-style after that).

I'd like to see as much of the cast there as possible, but my only musts are Kyle MacLachlan and Sherilyn Fenn.

Yes.  This so much yes.  They are the most important to me.  I feel like everyone who showed up in the Psych episode of Dual Spires would be willing to sign on too (which would include Sherilyn Fenn!).  But I'm going to need Kyle MacLachlan in and Sherilyn Fenn or I'm going to have some serious reservations.  Don't get me wrong, I'll probably still watch because I can't NOT see how it turns out but with a more skeptical eye than excited one.

• Love 1

I'd like to do a limited rewatch - does anyone know of a list of what Season 2 episodes are actually worth rewatching? (Hmm, could be a valuable public service for a certain TV-focused website with a history of doing rewatches to provide.

At least one mod (insert winky icon) is thinking that a rewatch would be a great idea. I'm not lead here, but I suspect  this will happen.

Personally, I'd like to start with Season 1, Episode 1. If that's not a problem, I guess the next question is when to begin the rewatch. People need time to get copies of the episodes and all that.

• Love 1

Sheryl Lee has to be on this too, if for no other reason than we need to see Laura's promise to Coop fulfilled: "I'll see you again in 25 years."

Laura had lookalikes and she's in the Red Lodge, so I'm sure Lynch can come up with some way of having a now age-appropriate version of Laura.

Edited by bobbyjoe
  • Love 1

It's easier to say which characters I won't miss. James would be at the top of that list.

I would love if Catherine/Piper Laurie came back, at least for an appearance or five. I'd miss Shelly, too. Is she still working at the coffee shop?

I'll say this about some of the show's more uninteresting characters. The 25 years later aspect of this new season affords them the ability to basically change any characters as they see fit, especially for the teenagers. So it's entirely possible for James or Donna to have something compelling to do if Frost & Lynch feel like bringing them back.

Old cast characters who have to return, IMO:

Kyle Maclachlan/Dale Cooper

Michael J. Anderson/The Man From Another Place

Sheryl Lee/Laura Palmer's spirit (she did promise Coop she'd see him again in 25 years)

Catherine Coulson/The Log Lady (far too iconic not to make an appearance, like the Man From Another Place)

Ray Wise/The new incarnation of Killer Bob (in lieu of the passing of Frank Silva, it makes way too much sense for Bob to take on the form of Leland Palmer.  Plus it's an excuse to bring back Wise).

Michael Ontkean/Sherrif Harry S. Truman (he's got be involved in saving the good Coop from the Lodge).

Grace Zabriskie/Sarah Palmer

Really want to see back:

Sherilyn Fenn/Audrey Horne

Richard Beymor/Ben Horne

Michael Horse/Deputy Hawk

Chris Isaak/Chester Desmond

David Bowie/Philip Jeffries

Anyone else is gravy, BUT, they need to leave enough room for new characters.  Frost and Lynch are not doing this to regurgitate things they've done before.  Part of this has to be discovering new things about the Twin Peaks universe, and that needs to include new characters.

Frank Silva, who played the evil spirit Bob.  He passed away some time ago.  Same with Jack Nance

The actor who played Major Briggs died, too.

I' d like to see Josie Packard come back. Gorgeous actress in a classy sort of way..

I don't think I will watch this!  I loved the first season, but I am one of those people who could never wrap my head around the murder of Laura or Maddy. I never was clear if Leland was possessed, if Bob was his alter ego or something else entirely!  Sadly, I think that is the episode that ruined the the entire series for me, and unfortunately, it never got any better from there! 

I think this is the right time in television for the reboot of Twin Peaks:

• It's been long enough since the original.
  • Relatively short, single-season dramas are now in vogue and being really well done (True Detective, Fargo).
  • The original was intended to be one season.
  • Love 2

I found this useful graphic (courtesy of a poster named Jasper on a Lynch forum -- it's pretty dead on IMO, especially the red section which is always the challenging part of any rewatch):

Twin_Peaks_Guide_main.jpg

• Love 3

People who must be there:

- Log Lady

- Dale

- Laura

- Sarah

- Leland (although I wouldn't overuse him, even with Ray Wise's amazing talent)

- Audrey

People who don't HAVE to be there, but I really, really would question my viewing status if they were not:

- Bobby

- Shelly

- Norma

But it was a pretty big explosion.... :O

True, but the show comes from Hollywood. If Tom Cruise and any number of other bohunks can survive these things and hit the ground running, so can Audrey. At least I hope!

The idea was supposed to be that most of the characters would survive, perhaps aside from Catherine's brother.

At one point before or after this Lynch also wanted to spin Audrey off into a movie about her going to Hollywood (which later became Mulholland Drive).

Continuing the theme...characters I just don't need to see again:

- Donna (if it's Moira Kelly I might change my mind)

- James

- Ben Horne (once was more than enough)

If both Pete AND Audrey survived the bomb, that would be a stretch.  I mean Pete was standing right next to the bomb -- much closer to it than the old bank teller --  and it sent the teller's glasses flying out ominously as debris... Maybe I could buy that the bars Audrey chained herself to protected her from debris or something, but they really painted themselves into a corner if they wanted Pete to survive.

If both Pete AND Audrey survived the bomb, that would be a stretch.  I mean Pete was standing right next to the bomb -- much closer to it than the old bank teller --  and it sent the teller's glasses flying out ominously as debris... Maybe I could buy that the bars Audrey chained herself to protected her from debris or something, but they really painted themselves into a corner if they wanted Pete to survive.

The whole thing was so ridiculous they could have said Pete's lucky hat saved him.

Sadly, with Jack Nance not being with us, I think they will probably say Pete did die in the explosion.

Mädchen Amick appears to have just confirmed her participation.

Can't wait. Now I just want to hear something about Peggy Lipton and Dana Ashbrook...

Edited by Pete Martell