Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E10: Duggar Derby

This was my first impression when I heard the "wash your hands after you eat" conversation. When Ben said what he said, I thought he sounded like Michelle. It's exactly something she would have said too. She gives way too long explanations. Everything is really preachy and flowery. I could understand Jessa for saying what she said. You just do it and that's good enough! She's probably got annoyed to hear it from Ben. He seemed proud thinking that he gave a Duggar answer. If he had shortened his answer like, "Your hands will be greasy and will make things slippery", then I don't think it would be too bad. 

• Love 1

Maybe I'm stricter than most people, but I don't think kids are owed an explanation as to how washing their hands will benefit them.  You do it to not be disgusting, now go do it. 

Man, I never thought I'd be on Jessa's side with anything.

• Love 5

I think it was scripted, all these kids have been traveling etc. for most of their youth.  I have trouble believing this is the first time they have been in a situation where clean hands were important and were to stupid to just wash their hands.

I know a lot of little children who have to be reminded time and time again to wash their hands before and after eating. Nothing about that scene was unusual enough for me to believe that was scripted.

This was my first impression when I heard the "wash your hands after you eat" conversation. When Ben said what he said, I thought he sounded like Michelle. It's exactly something she would have said too. She gives way too long explanations. Everything is really preachy and flowery. I could understand Jessa for saying what she said. You just do it and that's good enough! She's probably got annoyed to hear it from Ben. He seemed proud thinking that he gave a Duggar answer. If he had shortened his answer like, "Your hands will be greasy and will make things slippery", then I don't think it would be too bad. 

Honestly, Ben just sounded like someone who doesn't have a lot of experience with very young children so he provided an explanation he thought would make sense to them. He's 19. I'm going to cut him some slack for not having the perfect parental response for the situation.

• Love 4

Temperance - of course, marriage in biblical times was not the close nuclear family unit that we think of in modern times. We know that Peter, for instance, was certainly married, and it's almost certain that Paul had been at one time (and what a marriage that must have been, judging from some of his opinions of marriage....). But both of these men obviously left homes to take on Jewish ministries. That in itself was not unusual. And of course, Jesus and many teachings on leaving family units.

We will never know, of course, and not living with a family unit doesn't mean you love the people involved in it any less.

I don't think children are necessarily "owed" explanations. However, I do think explanations help children learn to apply ways they should do things to new situations and help to form values.

But, my biggest issue was how it came off as rude for Jessa to argue with Ben and put him down. She might think children are not owed an explanation, but is putting your spouse down if he/she gives one appropriate? If she feels strongly about it, I think they need to have a longer conversation in private.

• Love 5

I don't think children are necessarily "owed" explanations. However, I do think explanations help children learn to apply ways they should do things to new situations and help to form values.

But, my biggest issue was how it came off as rude for Jessa to argue with Ben and put him down. She might think children are not owed an explanation, but is putting your spouse down if he/she gives one appropriate? If she feels strongly about it, I think they need to have a longer conversation in private.

I agree. I didn't think Bin was in the wrong for trying to explain the hand-washing in kid friendly terms. He even told Jessa he was just trying to phrase things in a way that would make sense to small children. There was really no need for Jessa to embarrass him in front of everyone.

• Love 4

That was mine as well.  She put him down in front of her family.  What if Ben had talked to her like that in front of his sisters?  I'm sure queen Jessa wouldn't have liked it one bit. 

• Love 2

Maybe I'm stricter than most people, but I don't think kids are owed an explanation as to how washing their hands will benefit them.  You do it to not be disgusting, now go do it. 

Man, I never thought I'd be on Jessa's side with anything.

I agree.  MOST times no explanation is necessary.  My mom always used to say "because I said so" if we asked "why?".  I swore I would never do that.  I came to realize that my kids had nothing but lots of TIME on their side.  They could sit and argue or question all they wanted.  Meanwhile I was a wife and working mom.  I didn't have a lot of time for lengthy explanations.  Need I say it?  I became my mother!

Edited by Ilovemylabs
  • Love 2

What was up with JB loudly rooting for Hannie during the derby? Am I remembering that correctly? Rooting for one little kid over another, really? did anyone else catch that?

Hannie appeared to take over favorite child status as soon as she was born; I guess it never wore off.  I didn't hear that but I'd believe it.  He's always favored Jana, Jill, Joy and Hannie over the others, or that's how it's always appeared to me.