Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E09: Duggars in Cuffs

I was defrauded by J'Chelle's cheer leading picture.  She should stop rubbing it on our faces that she lived a normal life, and her kids cannot. Who takes their parents out on a date? J'Chelle and Boob need to let these kids live their own lives.  Can't wait till one of them rebels.

• Love 4

As Jordyn is speaking, Josie is trying to chime in (repeating Jordyn), and then she just kind of looks off into space, as though transfixed by a fly on the wall, or a bright light, or something.

Shiny Butterflies - Shiny Butterflies - Shiny Butterflies
  • Love 5

The girls and their spouses are so immature.  Jill went from skyping Derrick, to meeting, engaged, married and now pregnant in no time.  These adults aren't allowed to see what being in a relationship is like before they're in one with the person they're going to marry. How do they go from not even being allowed to kiss who they're going to marry, to having sex on the wedding night?

Boob just wants to show how much of an asshole he is. We know, Boob.

I was a little appalled by the use of a uniformed police officer for entertainment purposes. At least when we saw the girls and John David wearing their uniforms for the show, it was because they were in active service of the community. Having an officer "arrest" four adults as a marriage exercise is bull. Hire an actor.

I saw Bin and Derek express discomfort with the tightness of the cuffs multiple times. Jim Bob and Michelle kept on talking. No fucks given. I'm of the belief that you just don't pull things like that on people. Derek's dad was an officer. Anyone stop to consider the stop and the cuffs might be a trigger for him? Anyone stop to think about how unsafe being tethered together would be in a car accident? Escaping a burning vehicle in cuffs and a skirt could be disastrous. Sure. It's unlikely to happen, but not impossible.

The obstacle course and competition isn't about married life. It's reflecting the fact that, as a Duggar, everything is a competition and Jim Bob is a tool.

• Love 16

I liked the segment with Josh and Anna much better than the triple date with Jim Bob and MIchelle. Anna is way more likeable than Michelle at this point..Michelle is making me cringe more and more every time she opens her mouth.

The handcuff thing was just stupid. Not entertaining. I notice that Anna didn't have to go through this kind of hazing when she and Josh got married. 

Knowing Jana and John David the way we do, I can't see the two of them participating in these ridiculous courtship rituals for the sake of the show. 

I can understand why both of them are still single The longer they stay single, it might start to piss off Jim Bob- he'll be seen as a failure that he wasn't able to provide spouses for his adult children among his admirers. 

• Love 1

The girls went along with the boys when it came to the volunteer fire department because the boys could possibly be defrauded by women in the field. *gasp* I would not want someone taking care of me or my property having to take a sister along to make sure I was not defrauding him. I also cannot understand why the fire department would allow this. I could imagine the look on the officer's face if I pulled the same crap when I signed up to be a volunteer with the local police department.

I also do not understand how a police officer would be allowed to pull someone over and put handcuffs on them for a relationship/communication exercise. Try this where I live and all hell would break loose. I think this is a slap in the face to the hard working men and women who put their lives on the line on a daily basis to protect and serve.

Nearly all of the women I know who grew up in the Fundy world of no pants have not gone on to wear pants as adults. They do, however, wear stylish hair, make up, jewelry and clothing that is as ordinary and often as trendy as any you will see on the streets of any major US city, but they will always wear a skirt and almost always a higher neckline. They do, however, in the families that I know, allow their daughters to wear pants and both sons and daughters to wear shorts, as long as they aren't skimpy. I think that's fine. I also know women who have left Amish and Mennonite congregations who do similarly, as well as those who have grown up and left orthodox Jewish families. Many of these women continue even to cover their heads in subtle manners, but not require it of their children.

I think of how much time and effort Anna had always taken to make sure her children looked nice - there is no uncombed, bed head for Mac and all three were always nicely dressed. I wouldn't be surprised if she allows Mac the freedom to select her own clothes, including some cute play suits that might include shorts. Heck, even the small Duggar girls leggings are half way to being normal little girl attire these days. There may not be denim skirts in their future.

And about the obstacle course party. I was struck once again how horribly isolated these people are. It's not untypical in evangelical circles for friends to "kidnap" the groom for his Batchelor party and do some silly things to him as evangelicals don't go the drinking/stripper route. (I have pictures!) But this should be done by the boys FRIENDS! Watching this role be filled by their future in-laws was embarrassing, and I think the girls both knew it.

• Love 2

I'm having a crappy morning so I decided to watch this episode again to add to my misery. I'm sooo tired of hearing Boob & MEchelle go on & on & on about how married couples need to work together, communicate & it takes teamwork etc. Any dating, engaged & married couple already know this !!! As with everything they think & do, THEY THINK THEY ARE THE FIRST & BEST at it. By the way Boob, these "words of wisdom" aren't just for couples - they can be applied to daily activities, as a single person or a couple. Ex: a single person may have to work as part of a team at their job.

I feel better already purposing this message.

• Love 8

First, I will say good for Josh for running the 5k. I never have and they would have to help me across the finish line in a golf cart.

But for all us viewers cover those nips with some pasties or something. I am gonna have PTSD flashbacks now!

It's mean but I also got a chuckle seeing Josh push to sprint for the finish line and he barely passes an elderly gentleman with a leg wrap and a knee brace!

• Love 3

What I would like to know is why are we continuing to see that same cheerleader picture of Michelle sitting under a tree with her knee bent showing her knees and thighs, yet when she water skied in that modesty frock swimsuit and her skirt went up in the breeze, revealing her partial knee and a knicker, why did she black it out?

As I've said before, that was most likely her saggy vagina that was blacked out in the water-skiing segment.

This was the worst episode ever on this show, and that's a low bar.

1) Derick and Ben are putting up with this nonsense for the paycheck from TLC, pure and simple.

2) JB must conjure up these plots from watching vintage cartoons.

3) They must be reading on here ((waves)) since we haven't seen/heard a flipflop all season.

4) Josie has to have been fathered by either Art Garfunkel or Richard Simmons. Maybe there was a mix-up at the fertility clinic. There is no other explanation.

• Love 7

I guess I'm the only person who liked the idea of the handcuff thing?  I thought the obstacle course was stupid, and they should have had them cook a real meal instead of just making sandwiches.  I agree that the participants were so not into it and thought it was stupid.

In the arrow challenge, Derrick and Jill didn't talk to each other very well - in fact in almost the whole thing, they didn't really talk to each other very well.

Edited by Ripley68
  • Love 1
In the arrow challenge, Derrick and Jill didn't talk to each other very well - in fact in almost the whole thing, they didn't really talk to each other very well

Jill spoke to Derick in a tone that was harsh or bossy.  I wonder if this is what Michelle was intending to say when she said that they needed to be more encouraging.  I get that she wasn't enjoying the obstacle course, but it wasn't Derick's fault. 

Jill spoke to Derick in a tone that was harsh or bossy.  I wonder if this is what Michelle was intending to say when she said that they needed to be more encouraging.  I get that she wasn't enjoying the obstacle course, but it wasn't Derick's fault. 

When you're totally PISSED OFF by some incredibly stupid thing your parents have done to you in public and can't actually do anything but go along with it, it can be challenging to keep yourself in check when you interact with anyone else. I expect Derick was just as impressed with his in-laws-to-be and they gave each other a pass as they tried just get through it.

• Love 6
I was proud of Josh for running that marathon. He may have been slow and frightening people with his manboobs, but he stuck with it. Anna looked damn cute over there on the sidelines.

And when he remarked that he was being beaten in the race by a woman in a tu-tu (NIKE!), I actually LIKED him for the first time in a very long time. 

I think of how much time and effort Anna had always taken to make sure her children looked nice - there is no uncombed, bed head for Mac and all three were always nicely dressed.

I love Mac's little French braids, which we never got to see on the Lost Girls. Anna actually had to sit down and braid that child's hair. It's time consuming. Mullet would never do that. It's so much easier to buy a tacky head band with the curls and pony tails already attached. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 11
The handcuff thing was just stupid. Not entertaining. I notice that Anna didn't have to go through this kind of hazing when she and Josh got married.

That's probably because they hadn't exhausted all possibly storylines at that point. 

I'm having a crappy morning so I decided to watch this episode again to add to my misery. I'm sooo tired of hearing Boob & MEchelle go on & on & on about how married couples need to work together, communicate & it takes teamwork etc. Any dating, engaged & married couple already know this !!! As with everything they think & do, THEY THINK THEY ARE THE FIRST & BEST at it. By the way Boob, these "words of wisdom" aren't just for couples - they can be applied to daily activities, as a single person or a couple. Ex: a single person may have to work as part of a team at their job.

I feel better already purposing this message.

And I thank you for doing it. I had such a sweet, precious time reading it. ;)

No, but seriously....what DID they think the couples were going to get out of this? That they would all of a sudden be prepared to navigate 50 years of marriage, because they could make a PBJ sammich whilst handcuffed together? What would have happened if they "failed" these different challenges? Sorry, the wedding is off - you couldn't shoot a crossbow while chained to your boyfriend/fiance/courting master. 

• Love 4

"I typically would hit the brakes but this time I hit the gas."  BS

Did anyone notice that when the officer took them out of the car and Derrick is talking about such "he took us out of the car and lined us up" - The cop puts a cuff on Derrick and Jill automatically raises her hand next to his.  She obviously knew the storyline already- but obviously was unimpressed with it.  

The fact that they make it so freaking staged now is so annoying.  I wonder how many takes of that scene it took. 

And honestly, in most filming, you must get permits to film in public.  I'm sure this road was closed off to real traffic.  The cop and the police department got paid and it was just like filming in any other part of Hollywood.  

You can't film on public streets without a permit.  

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 1

As Jordyn is speaking, Josie is trying to chime in (repeating Jordyn), and then she just kind of looks off into space, as though transfixed by a fly on the wall, or a bright light, or something.  She really acts like a 2 or 3 year old.  She acts like Michael, except Michael is a couple of years younger. 

And Michaels speech is a few years ahead of Miracles.  

I may be the only one, but I love Michael.  I think he is a little spitfire and he cracks me up. When he talks, I can't help but laugh.  

Miracle worries me the more I see her.  My sister works with children and thinks there is a definitely a possibility of autism or downs.  I sincerely hope not - and hope she is just a spoiled brat. 

Edited by truthtalk2014
  • Love 1

I guess I'm the only person who liked the idea of the handcuff thing?  I thought the obstacle course was stupid, and they should have had them cook a real meal instead of just making sandwiches.  I agree that the participants were so not into it and thought it was stupid.

In the arrow challenge, Derrick and Jill didn't talk to each other very well - in fact in almost the whole thing, they didn't really talk to each other very well.

I would have to watch it again. I was thinking because they thought it was stupid, they were holding back on saying anything at all because it was probably on the tip of their tongue to say, "This is the stupidest thing ever! Can we go now!"

Huh! Michelle should talk. I watched an old episode the other day and JB and Michelle were sitting down together putting the final copy of their 2nd book together. They were disagreeing on a photo to include. Michelle said in her confessional that when she really wants something, she will stand her ground and insist on it. She was adamant on that one particular photo and she had that bossy tone as she was telling JB. I'm sure that was her true self. Or rather her old self coming out? I'm not going to launch into her and call her a hypocrite because I know she was trying to teach the couple good things. I think that one scene from the old episode is what marriage is really like and I can appreciate Michelle for admitting that and showing that side of her. For Jill to boss Derick is what I do occassionally to my husband, so I'm not going to judge Jill either. Our mouths slip a little here and there. Whether married for 10 years or in a new relationship, we are probably always going to be learning about better communication. For Jill and Derick, the honeymoon stage is over.

For Jill to boss Derick is what I do occassionally to my husband, so I'm not going to judge Jill either. Our mouths slip a little here and there. Whether married for 10 years or in a new relationship, we are probably always going to be learning about better communication. For Jill and Derick, the honeymoon stage is over

Same here! I got that bossy thing down pat, and I try really hard to avoid it because who wants to live with someone like that day after day? However, like you, I slip.  What I did think was strange was that it's so early in their relationship and she behaved that way.  I was still in my head over heels phase in the time that Jill and Derick have been together.  My husband and I were more like Ben in his attitude that he's just happy doing anything--as long as he's with Jessa.  It was the tone that she took so early in her relationship that shocked me.  Plus, I suppose it was also the fact that she was mad a Jim Bob (possibly) but was taking it out on Derick.  Never a good thing to do.

Anyone else catch that Anna and the kids were positioned to stand and cheer right outside of a Victoria's Secret store? I swear, TLC does seem to like its little jokes! ;)

• Love 3

Hi! Glad to be here. I was KariLois on Television Without Pity. So much to say about this precious episode! Wow. Jim Bob and Michelle have the best marriage ever! It was encouraging to see them humiliate their daughters and their boyfriends so they could learn how be just like Boob and Mechelle. Also, how precious and neat for Jilly Muffin that DerickDillard knows about handcuffs! Actually, that will be precious and neat for Jill's muffin.

• Love 9
I may be the only one, but I love Michael.  I think he is a little spitfire and he cracks me up. When he talks, I can't help but laugh.

You're not the only one. I love all of Anna's kids, but Michael is especially adorable to me. And I don't find him any more honery than typical toddlers. I'll give it a few years before deciding if he's going to be a rude and unappreciative Duggar. 

• Love 3

I noticed that Michelle could barely manage to correct Jim Bob about the directions in the car, without JB getting all tense about it.  She had to try and be all "sweet" and "precious" about it, but you could tell he didn't like it.

• Love 5
I noticed that Michelle could barely manage to correct Jim Bob about the directions in the car, without JB getting all tense about it.  She had to try and be all "sweet" and "precious" about it, but you could tell he didn't like it.

I'm sure Michelle learned a long time ago to be careful about correcting JimBob, because I doubt he has ever admitted to being wrong in his life.  After all, he is the headship of the tribe and knows all.  After all, who else is so knowledgeable that they could point out the castle that King James wrote the Bible in?

• Love 7

It was an awkward scene. As was the cleverly spliced "I'm always looking for ways to serve Michelle" while he intentionally spills water on her from a cup, which another poster mentioned.

I do think Michelle enforces most of the day to day rules and has a lot of issues that have never been addressed. But it's moments like that which remind me that she's had to put up with a lot and being "sweet and supportive" probably cost her a lot as a person.

• Love 1

4) Josie has to have been fathered by either Art Garfunkel or Richard Simmons. Maybe there was a mix-up at the fertility clinic. There is no other explanation.

This made me LOL.  I had a mouthful of Diet Coke and darn near choked, but that was funny!

Count me among those who doesn't think Josie is cute.  Not at all.  My 2-year-old granddaughter has a better attention span and speaks more clearly. 

I do think Anna is a good mommy.  As stated above, her kids are well-behaved, well-dressed, clean and have their hair combed.  That's how it's done, Boob and Mechelle.

I don't think Michelle had a nervous breakdown.  I just think she became an even bigger famewhore as the years went on, and forgot all about her kids.  The world does seem to revolve around Michelle and her magic vagina. 

JimBoob is a bigger ass every time I see him.  I can only watch about 5 minutes of each show, then I have to turn it off.  I get all my "news" on here.  Thanks!

• Love 1

That was not a closed road course.  There were cars coming down it towards them.  Sorry, not an appropriate use of a public official, or a squad car.  And, also, totally scripted.... listen to all the comments about there being a police officer up ahead.  

Jim Bob and Michelle are not trained marriage counselors.  They've never had any type of training in that at all.  The exercise, done as part of a pre-marriage counseling by a trained professional, may have been helpful... but this is just being silly for a show. 

Jessa was correct, they had it easier because of the extra give in the two sets of handcuffs.  

Glad to see that the 4 young adults are properly embarrassed by this spectacle.  I think given enough time, Derick, Ben,and whomever comes along for the other girls could actually make a difference.   At some point, there will be enough of them to band together.

Why is Anna dressed like a fashion queen to be on the side of a race?  How about dressing to fit in with your companions? 

Edited by mythoughtis

This was the worst episode ever on this show, and that's a low bar.

Definitely! I cringe when I see the two courting couples. because Jill and Jessa seem more like middle-schoolers, with the way they giggle and make cute comments when speaking to Ben and Derrick. 

When are they going to stop referring to Derrick as "Derrick Dillard?" I am waiting for the wedding to see if Jill says, "I Jill, take thee Derrick Dillard to be my lawfully wedded husband."

• Love 2

I found the way they both spoke to each other to be very telling. So they had to do a stupid couples activity...big deal. Maybe it's because I just don't easily angered or frazzled, but I found their reactions to each other annoying. It's not that serious. I bet their first fight was/will be very interesting.

I find Michael and Mackenzie (spelling?) very cute. I like how they have very distinct personalities and their parents seem to encourage that.

I know I will get fried for saying this. I can't fault Michelle too much if the younger kids are a bit messy and unruly in appearance. I don't have twice as many kids. With the younger kids you realize a little dirt doesn't hurt and they could wear the same clothes a couple of times. I used to HAVE to dress up the baby in street clothes to drop off the older kids at school even if it was a 10 min outing, but with the next kid, eh, staying in your pj's is just fine. Staying in your pj's all day is fine too. There are so many things we let slide after having more kids and you pick and choose your battles. And how many have had someone say to them, "I can tell you're not a first time mom!"

• Love 4

There are so many things we let slide after having more kids and you pick and choose your battles.

I agree.  With my first child I probably read every book on child care that was ever written, sterilized everything, documented every new accomplishment and took pictures on a weekly basis.  By the time my third and last child came along, I didn’t have the time and energy for any of that.  It’s a wonder the poor guy is still alive (laugh).  We also knew that three children were all we could manage and afford.

• Love 3

I'm not going to fry you. I think there are a lot of mothers who take short cuts with younger kids because...well, you have to. It's like the bed issue. I have the daughter with the beautiful bed who still sleeps on the floor.

But I think what people react to in the Duggar children really isn't any of the specific things. All of us have a child who is messier, or one who practically lives in pjs or one who sleeps on the floor or was late to potty train etc. It's the uniformity of the uncared for traits that seem to fall across all of the younger children that seem a little sad to me. Again, I do not think that any given thing is wrong, but I honestly do think they are in over their heads in ways other families don't seem to be. (For comparison sake, some parents I know have six or seven children under the age of ten and are similar ages to the Duggar parents but have no older children to help in any way.)

• Love 1

It really annoys me that the fact that Mechlle was a cheerleader keeps being brought up (on the show... I don't mind when people say it here) as the epitome of how "bad" she was as a teen. While I'm aware that they don't have the most humble reputation... There are plenty of cheerleaders that are nice *gasp* Christian people... Granted they tend to be a little more on with showing skin than the average person... But that doesn't make them the horrible satan worshippers the Duggars make them out to be. Some really are in it for the athletic aspect (I was never a cheerleader, but I was always in dance growing up so its kinda the same theory) I'm not denying that some are in it for the fact that they get to shake their booty in a cute uniform... But I feel like the Duggars equate all cheerleaders with murderers.

I saw a commercial that there was 2 more weeks until the wedding... I can't... How has this season drug on longer than the actual engagement??? What more can they possibly cover especially since there are 2 shows a week... I have a feeling one of them will be about how they hold themselves to a higher standard and won't be having. Bachelorette party.

• Love 2

Definitely! I cringe when I see the two courting couples. because Jill and Jessa seem more like middle-schoolers, with the way they giggle and make cute comments when speaking to Ben and Derrick. 

When are they going to stop referring to Derrick as "Derrick Dillard?" I am waiting for the wedding to see if Jill says, "I Jill, take thee Derrick Dillard to be my lawfully wedded husband."

Well, that's all they're allowed to do when you come to think about it. that and the hand-scissoring. 

• Love 2

I think part of the problem with the kids looking messy & dirty is they look pasty & washed out, Boob included. It was mentioned before that it could be lack of nutrition/vitamins & mainly eating processed food and fast food when they're on the road. Even John David, who being a tow truck driver & is outside alot, has the pasty look. The previous poster compared them to Smuggar & Anna's kids who look healthy, have rosy cheeks & not the washed out messy look.

I liked Anna's outfit including the denim skirt. Seemed rather simple just a white top, denim skirt & the red scarf. She looked more modern & put together in her denim skirt than the J'slaves in theirs. Hopefully Anna has put her long, floor skimming denim skirts in the back of the closet. One of the early posters commented that she looked pregnant. I'm agreeing. Could have been camera angles or how she was sitting in car or standing, but it looked like a bump there. More so than Jill's. Ha ha. One scene she was holding Michael , looking like she was hiding her stomach.

I was a little appalled by the use of a uniformed police officer for entertainment purposes. At least when we saw the girls and John David wearing their uniforms for the show, it was because they were in active service of the community. Having an officer "arrest" four adults as a marriage exercise is bull. Hire an actor.

I saw Bin and Derek express discomfort with the tightness of the cuffs multiple times. Jim Bob and Michelle kept on talking. No fucks given. I'm of the belief that you just don't pull things like that on people. Derek's dad was an officer. Anyone stop to consider the stop and the cuffs might be a trigger for him? Anyone stop to think about how unsafe being tethered together would be in a car accident? Escaping a burning vehicle in cuffs and a skirt could be disastrous. Sure. It's unlikely to happen, but not impossible.

The obstacle course and competition isn't about married life. It's reflecting the fact that, as a Duggar, everything is a competition and Jim Bob is a tool.

Great points about how the policeman things could be a trigger to Derickdillard & how unsafe driving around with handcuffs on in case of accident/emergency.

Instead of real handcuffs, they should have gotten kid or party favor type of cheap ones that break apart easily. Or just not wear the real ones in the car. Instead of using the real cop, they could have gotten John Boob David to put his constable uniform on, if he has one, & do "the arrest". He could have knocked on their front door & arrest them at the house since none of them believed the scenario in the car (even at the beginning).

Somehow this family has more of a connection to God than the rest of us regarding safety issues. With all the things we've seen, it's a miracle they haven't had more serious injuries ( or even death) than they've had. On yesterday's old episode they were cleaning up the plants out front. One part, Hannie was hanging & swinging off the handle of the industrial size roto-tiller. Then it showed the Howlers, who were about 6-10 then, digging up the weeds & putting down mulch. They all had adult sized shovels & were right next to one another. I could just picture them losing their balance & swinging the shovel around and hitting another in the face or on the head or being poked with the end of the shovel. I think they showed Jackson upsetting the wheel barrow because he couldn't control it. I know we've commented on the TTH building episode where they showed a view of the younger ones being driven around in the scooper part of the bulldozer. Even if they were in there for just a few minutes to do the shot, it only takes a second for something to make it flip & the kids being run over. Not to mention the flip-flops or hair not tied back. But somehow they come out of all these incidents unscathed.

• Love 1

But I think what people react to in the Duggar children really isn't any of the specific things. All of us have a child who is messier, or one who practically lives in pjs or one who sleeps on the floor or was late to potty train etc. It's the uniformity of the uncared for traits that seem to fall across all of the younger children that seem a little sad to me.

Very true. I think the point is there's enough adults in the Duggar household that none of the younger children should be walking around looking unkempt or sleeping on beds without sheets. We're not talking about a situation where one SAHM is trying to manage four or five kids while her husband is at work ten hours a day. 

• Love 1

I was quite surprised that Derick just didn't say "Let me out; I've had enough of this already." Too bad he didn't, as I wonder what Jim Bob would have done, and what would Jill have done, would she have run after him to be with him, or stayed with mama and daddy?

• Love 2

Miracle worries me the more I see her.  My sister works with children and thinks there is a definitely a possibility of autism or downs.  I sincerely hope not - and hope she is just a spoiled brat. 

Completely agree.  I taught first grade for 35 years and I can unequivocally say that every single child I worked with who was a preemie had either physical, behavioral or learning issues of some kind - and usually a mix of them.  Sometimes minor, sometimes not.  It all depended on if the parents intervened, and if yes, how much and how early.  So obviously here, the real miracle will be if Josie is ultimately found to have none of these - but I'd bet the farm this is not going to be the case.  Needless to say her parents, if they do suspect anything is wrong, will be in complete denial about it.

I was quite surprised that Derick just didn't say "Let me out; I've had enough of this already." Too bad he didn't, as I wonder what Jim Bob would have done, and what would Jill have done, would she have run after him to be with him, or stayed with mama and daddy?

So true!  See, TLC?  THAT's how to ensure continuing interest in the Duggars?  You need controversy - not conformity!  They'd probably have twice the viewing audience if they let things develop naturally.  But then of course Dim Bulb and MeChelle wouldn't still be controlling things...

Edited by NausetGirl

Wait.... were Jill and Derrick married in this episode but had to pretend they were courting??

You know, there was a moment during the show where that crossed my mind as well - that this wasn't only scripted, but had taken place after the wedding.

Completely agree. I taught first grade for 35 years and I can unequivocally say that every single child I worked with who was a preemie had either physical, behavioral or learning issues of some kind - and usually a mix of them. Sometimes minor, sometimes not. It all depended on if the parents intervened, and if yes, how much and how early. So obviously here, the real miracle will be if Josie is ultimately found to have none of these - but I'd bet the farm this is not going to be the case. Needless to say her parents, if they do suspect anything is wrong, will be in complete denial about it.

So true! See, TLC? THAT's how to ensure continuing interest in the Duggars? You need controversy - not conformity! They'd probably have twice the viewing audience if they let things develop naturally. But then of course Dim Bulb and MeChellen wouldn't still be controlling things...

Wasn't it John Travolta & Kelly Preston who denied anything was wrong with their son? Because of Scientology? And only after his death they admitted he had autism & had seizures.

I don't get why they have to pretend their kids are perfect. I think Mechelle would get more compassion if she was truthful about Josie's delays.

I think if might have something to do with how they perceive themselves to be especially blessed or something.. that things just can't go wrong for them. Jubillee's situation, they passed off as" God's will", not Michelle's stubbornness in listening to sound medical advice on pulling the baby plug. Also, Anna's disbelief that anything bad could happen to Josh's health at 30 years old due to 25 years of bad eating. Remember her on camera comment? "That CAN'T happen to Josh... that would be 5 or 6 kids from now!" Yes, ma'am, and what would she do if Josh were incapacitated in any way or pass on? She has absolutely NO means of self support. She's not qualified to do anything at all and never has... those "college credits" she has is also from some BS college which don't transfer into anything, even teaching elementary school at a real Christian school....I hope they all are fine, of course, but I also hope that Josh has a real good life insurance policy that stays paid up.

• Love 3

While austism is definitely a possibility, at this point Down's syndrome isn't. That's not something you develop or something that comes as a result of prematurity - it happens at conception. I wouldn't be surprised if Josie has some sort of developmental delay or isn't neuraltypical as a result is her prematurity, but Down's isn't it.

• Love 5

Completely agree.  I taught first grade for 35 years and I can unequivocally say that every single child I worked with who was a preemie had either physical, behavioral or learning issues of some kind - and usually a mix of them.  Sometimes minor, sometimes not.

I was born 2 months premature (one of twins, though my sister did not survive) 55 years ago, when there was a lot less sophisticated care available.

I've never had any learning issues, and no physical ones either (though I'm no athlete by any means...just more bookish). I was crushingly shy growing up, so there's that, but that's not unusual, even among kids who were born at term.

• Love 2