Type keyword(s) to search

Star Wars Rebels - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Ashoka owned the Inquisitors. Loved her use of her jedi training, she became the jedi that Anakin should have been before he fell. Too bad he couldn't of taken care of the Inquisitors but you know, Stormtroopers. They can't hit anything but too many and you have a problem.

• Love 2

I've only watched S1 so far, during my cross country holiday travels. I really liked the Clone Wars because I thought they did the yeoman's work in actual characterization that the prequels were essentially devoid of. When Disney bought the rights and commissioned this new show, I thought it was going to be really kiddie, but I wanted to at least check it out. It took me a while to get around to watching the show. I am really, really impressed with what they've been able to do. 

Clearly, there's got to be a ton of Jedi that survived Order 66, and you can't really have a show without one. I like that Kanan isn't actually that 'professional' of a Jedi and not that great of a teacher. I liked that the crew developed over the course of the season too. 

I really like how some of the Imperials have the mustache/sideburns look of the 70s, since this is ramping up to ANH. 

The timeline is weird. So this is 15 years after ROTS? And ANH is 20 years coming up? That's an awfully short time for the rebels to go from cells to a full blown alliance with fleets of xwings and generals and lots of Bothans dying. I suppose we take that with a grain of salt though. I do think the show made a smart move with the 'rebel cell' concept. 

I also like how Tarkin was a major player in S1, since he was a big deal in ANH. That makes sense, and the voice actor is really great with him. 

I had no idea Ahsoka was Fulcrum. I didn't think Disney would bother with pulling a character from the prior property over. I'm so glad she survived. I never liked the "you're Jedi or you're SIth" mentality just because you know how to use the Force. The council turned their back on Ahsoka. That doesn't mean she can't do some good. I tend to think that there were a lot of Force users who joined the Jedi just for the perks and then just went far away enough from the Core when the civil war broke out. 

• Love 1

I just watched the Siege of Lothal. That 45 minutes blew away Anakin/Vader in the prequels. Wow should they have done that in the movies. Revenge of the Sith should have been at least 60 minutes of *this* Vader. 

I did like that Kanan could barely hold on against Vader, and Vader wasn't really trying to kill them, clearly, since he was 3 moves ahead the whole time. When he lifted the walker up and just dropped it an walked out from the flames, was awesome. And Kanan was like, 'uh no' at that point. 

The piloting was unbelievable. What a space battle! I did like that Hera kind of held her own against Vader. Once he knew Ahsoka was on board he didn't want to blow up the ship, but I don't think he wanted them to escape either. 

What I don't get is how Vader is kind of treated as a joke in the ensuing 20 years when ANH rolls around. I mean, Tarkin is still around, and in S1 he talks about knowing the Jedi from back when, but Vader kind of gets sassed by everyone. I also never really bought that the Falcon got the drop on Vader either. Especially after this space battle. I mean, give me a break. He obviously had to have known that Luke was a fairly strong Force sensitive and wouldn't have wanted to kill him outright. Now I'm wondering if Vader let the Death Star be destroyed so he could off Tarkin and fill that power vacuum, since he's clearly gained a lot of status between ANH and ESB. 

I suppose that Vader isn't much more than attack dog at this point in the series, and, clearly, he fails at stamping out the Rebellion. So maybe by ANH the Emperor is really not happy that he's failed overall. Which makes sense that Vader would be plotting to take him out by then. 

When Disney bought the property and declared the EU null and void, I figured the Clone Wars series was out too. I don't know much about the EU, but I really thought the Clone Wars is superior to prequels and did an excellent job of setting up Anakin's anger and rivalry with Dooku. But, it seems like the Clone Wars is still canon, since Ahsoka is still around, and they very clearly established that she was Anakin's apprentice here. I think that's a good move by the show. You don't need to know about the Clone Wars series, if you've only seen the movies, but if you have, it's just another layer. 

I wonder if Ahsoka feels guilty of leaving and thinking that had she stayed that Anakin would have stayed grounded. 

I'm amazed at how the movies aren't actually that good, but the tv series really fill in these gaps and provide really credible characterization.

• Love 2

What I don't get is how Vader is kind of treated as a joke in the ensuing 20 years when ANH rolls around. I mean, Tarkin is still around, and in S1 he talks about knowing the Jedi from back when, but Vader kind of gets sassed by everyone. I also never really bought that the Falcon got the drop on Vader either. Especially after this space battle. I mean, give me a break. He obviously had to have known that Luke was a fairly strong Force sensitive and wouldn't have wanted to kill him outright. Now I'm wondering if Vader let the Death Star be destroyed so he could off Tarkin and fill that power vacuum, since he's clearly gained a lot of status between ANH and ESB. 

I suppose that Vader isn't much more than attack dog at this point in the series, and, clearly, he fails at stamping out the Rebellion. So maybe by ANH the Emperor is really not happy that he's failed overall. Which makes sense that Vader would be plotting to take him out by then. 

I always took that to be a couple of different things--first military arrogance.  By the time of ANH the Jedi were long gone (by the memory of the series) and the military was pretty dominant not to mention the death star had been constructed.  So people were willing to scoff at the force (after all if it was so powerful how did the Jedi lose so quickly).   Also, although I try to think about the prequels as little as possible, Lucas did indicate that in ANH he wanted to convey how much Obi-Wan and Vader had aged and how frankly out of practice they were.  There was supposed to be a sort of drop-off in the clear use of the force.  Although one certainly got the sense that both Vader and the Emperor were simply concealing what they could do.

• Love 2

The time gap between ROTS and ANH should have been a lot longer, and the Clone Wars should have been a longer war. 

Tarkin basically invented the Death Star, so I can buy why he's so important and continued to be. I would think Vader's main task at first would be to hunt down the remaining Jedi, and hey, while you're out there, go over here and crush some rebel cells if you get wind of anything. 

At at some point he got sick of being an errand boy, and starting thinking about getting his own apprentice and overthrowing Palpatine. However, I figure by then, there just aren't any around, and he just doesn't have much to do, and Palpatine is ticked about the rebels. By AHN I suppose there's been a whole generation that grew up not knowing anything about Jedi, and less people who actually saw one, since everyone was killed in the war. 

The only way it works for me is that Vader recognized Luke as super Force and took the opportunity that presented itself. Why else would he go out in a tiny shuttle on his own? He's the only one closest to Luke, when Luke shoots. 

The Falcon gets the drop on him? Dude blew up a space fleet when he was 8. 

• Love 2

The only way it works for me is that Vader recognized Luke as super Force and took the opportunity that presented itself. Why else would he go out in a tiny shuttle on his own? He's the only one closest to Luke, when Luke shoots. 

The Falcon gets the drop on him? Dude blew up a space fleet when he was 8.

Not sure i follow. He was with 2 other TIE fighters when he was chasing Luke and that was because they thought they needed to stop the run with fighters because the rebel fighters were too close for the guns. And he was lucky when he was 8. And had no reason to expect the falcon.

Revisionist pov on Vader. You don't have to follow. We're just riffing on how Vader changed from Rebels to AHN, and I just don't buy he'd know how strong Luke was in the Force and want to kill him. 

Oh, i see. I thought you were talking about what seemed like a decline in Vader's powers.

I guess he didn't have a choice? Would he want to let him destroy the Death Star? He didn't know he was powerful until he was on his tail and by then it was the only option. I have this vague memory of former canon emphasizing that Vader's even surviving as opposed to being killed when the Death Star exploded added to his legend.

Edited by call me ishmael

If you start with, in ANH Vader isn't treated in the political structure that well with Tarkin mouthing off to him, and from this show, we know Vader is hunting rebel cells, and obviously doesn't quell the rebellion in his infancy, then Palpatine probably has been ripping him a new one for over a decade.

We also know that Sith lords are always look for another apprentice to take out the other, so Vader has to be entertaining these thoughts at some point. He faces Obi-Wan, whom he obviously hates and wants to kill. No way he doesn't sense Luke 20 yards away. "Wait a minute. I thought I killed all the strong force sensitives." Then he goes out after the lone x wing, and lo and behold it's the same super strong force guy. Well, hey. I can kill him, or maybe not, and track him down and maybe we can take out Palpatine.

I don't know. Vader is a ripping BAMF and widely known as the best pilot ever. Then he's practically a bumbling fool in ANH. It seems weird Luke gets away and Vader gets pwnd by the Falcon. Maybe Vader was like WTF? that pilot is super strong in the Force, and took his eye off the ball. It seems more Sith-y and calculating to let Luke destroy the death star. You can build another, and then instead of Tarkin, who is in charge of that?

Clearly, the destruction of the death star allowed Vader to assume a more formidable position as we see in ESB.

The Clone Wars did a great job fleshing out Anakin, and I know this show isn't about Vader, but I hope there's a few recurring appearances that can do more of the same with Vader. Just the fact that he refers to Anakin as someone else was a great great character moment imo.

• Love 1

Enjoyed "Princess on Lothal". I recognize that Leia's outfit was based on an early Ralph McQuarrie design and that was cool.

Having Leia blink when she shoots just like she did in the movies because Carrie Fisher was reacting to the explosions was a nice touch.

Also I like the idea that you can put a parking boot on a spaceship!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3

Is Leia supposed to be Ezra's age? How long is it till ANH then? I thought she was 20 there. I don't really care that much about her age like I'm going to call out continuity errors on it. I would have liked when Ezra was looking at the photo that Leia said, "I didn't even know my parents." You kind of have to throw that in there. Although her, "most impressive" line got a good laugh from me.

I've always been fascinated by the AT-ATs. Because it's kind of a ridiculous design, and they are so hard to take out, but you can take them out with such a variety of means. 

Small universe building moment, but so interesting. Prisoners make parking boots for spaceships. It makes sense right? You're going to put your prisoners to work. Gives a bigger scope to the Empire. Maybe that's part of who built the Death Star or was actually on there when it blew up. 

• Love 2

Is Leia supposed to be Ezra's age? How long is it till ANH then? 

In the season 1 episode "Empire Day", Ezra states that he was born the day Palpatine established the New Order. Leia and Luke were born two days later, so yes they are basically the same age. "Empire Day" also established that Ezra is 15 years old. The Battle of Yavin took place 19 years after ROTS, so depending on how much time has passed since, it is around 3.5-4 years until ANH

Edited by ZoqFotPik
  • Love 2

Is Leia supposed to be Ezra's age? How long is it till ANH then? I thought she was 20 there. I don't really care that much about her age like I'm going to call out continuity errors on it. I would have liked when Ezra was looking at the photo that Leia said, "I didn't even know my parents." You kind of have to throw that in there. Although her, "most impressive" line got a good laugh from me.

I've always been fascinated by the AT-ATs. Because it's kind of a ridiculous design, and they are so hard to take out, but you can take them out with such a variety of means. 

Small universe building moment, but so interesting. Prisoners make parking boots for spaceships. It makes sense right? You're going to put your prisoners to work. Gives a bigger scope to the Empire. Maybe that's part of who built the Death Star or was actually on there when it blew up. 

Man, I never understood the AT-ATs because they seem so unstable and yet sometimes so difficult to take out. 

It was great to see Leia even if the cynic in me is saying it's to tie into The Force Awakens. That's ok, it works. It shows that she's been the compassionate, smart, capable and caring person for a long time. As great as Rey is, I identify more with Leia and I'd rather my kids see her as someone to emulate and be inspired by. She tries to help others, thinks on her feet, and is calm in the face of danger. Love her.

• Love 1

That's an awfully short window for the rebel alliance to be so built up by ANH. I figured there was another 10 years at the least.

Bail Organa has been working on the Rebellion since the founding of the Empire, so I think 20 years is enough time for the Alliance to get to where it was in the Original Trilogy. I'm guessing one of the larger arcs of the show will be the Crew becoming more and more aware of just how large the Rebellion is. 

• Love 2

I suppose so, but if Leia is still in the process of stealing ships for the rebellion, I'm wondering how in 4 years that there's squadrons of x wings in so much force that they can mount a major assault. That's fine if it's intended that Bail has been doing this for 20 years, but all we've seen so far on the show have amounted essentially to terrorist cells. It's a fair question, given that there's no more Inquisitors in ANH and the actual military strength I just mentioned. Now, it may be that by the end of this season that the crew will be brought into the fold of the full alliance, and I agree it makes sense to have cells, but at this point, we're not hearing even tangentially that there's been a lot of rebel victories across the board. There's got to be a point where individual cells voltron into a full military force. With only 4 years to go, that's a hard sell.

As great as Rey is, I identify more with Leia and I'd rather my kids see her as someone to emulate and be inspired by.

I never got why seemingly everyone is horny for a Han Solo standalone movie. There's literally only two things to cover. A Leia movie could be such a sweeping epic. This episode showed that she was involved with the rebellion at a young age, but also involved with Empire politics. Other than that, the next time we see her is on the Death Star. There's nothing else known about her, canonically. And a Leia movie would have more Bail in it, so you could really get into how the rebellion formed, etc., which was what I was talking about in the first place.

What's great about Leia, as we saw here. She never wavered. She was all in on the rebellion, all the way, and the dark side would never reach her. 

• Love 5

I'm wondering how in 4 years that there's squadrons of x wings in so much force that they can mount a major assault.

So far this season Phoenix Squadron has lost at least 7 A-wings, that's about a quarter of the force used to attack the Death Star. Since they don't seem to have trouble replacing the fighters and more importantly the pilots, suggests they have a fairly large support system. I'm willing to bet they will burn through more than 30 fighters before the series catches up to ANH. Also, this is a quote from the season 1 finale  "Fires Across the Galaxy":

Kanan: And the crews of the blockade runners?

Senator Organa: (Hologram) Members of other rebel cells.

Sabine: There are other cells.

Cells plural, so they have confirmed there are other cells in operation. 

we're not hearing even tangentially that there's been a lot of rebel victories across the board.

There's got to be a point where individual cells voltron into a full military force.

I agree with you about this. Hopefully as the season progresses we will hear more about other cells and learn more about the size of the Alliance.

Edited by ZoqFotPik
  • Love 1

I suppose so, but if Leia is still in the process of stealing ships for the rebellion, I'm wondering how in 4 years that there's squadrons of x wings in so much force that they can mount a major assault. That's fine if it's intended that Bail has been doing this for 20 years, but all we've seen so far on the show have amounted essentially to terrorist cells. It's a fair question, given that there's no more Inquisitors in ANH and the actual military strength I just mentioned. Now, it may be that by the end of this season that the crew will be brought into the fold of the full alliance, and I agree it makes sense to have cells, but at this point, we're not hearing even tangentially that there's been a lot of rebel victories across the board. There's got to be a point where individual cells voltron into a full military force. With only 4 years to go, that's a hard sell.

Don't forget the genius builder behind the B-Wing is now overseeing the fleet production.  Until proven otherwise I am going to fanwank that he was able to retrofit a bunch of old starfighters into the X-Wings we know and love

• Love 1

I did forget and that's fair. But you need people to build them, and that's a lot of people. I guess you could use droids. I'm thinking of the old adage of how each solider requires 3,4 support personnel. 

I'm astonished at how good this show is, but since they're canon, I think they kind of have to show how we get to a Rebel Alliance in ANH, or at least pave that road. And really, it's not like this is the last season. If they're given enough show to work with, it shouldn't be that difficult. They showed Bail in the second episode and in the finale we got a huge reveal of how there is a rebellion forming. The impression I got was that it's still fairly nascent with some cells here and there. This 4 year time line was just weird to me because I figured there was 10 years to go or something. 

Then again, Hera et al., are one cell, and the whole point of being a cell is that you don't know about other cells, and we're talking about a galactic wide operation. I just would have thought there would be a whiff here and there of other rebel activity even if only rumor. 

As others mentioned, it was great seeing Ahsoka kick some Inquisitor butt. She was almost toying with them.

Good to see Leia. I would like to see her again, and her mother, Breha. We see a lot Bail, which I enjoy, but I would like to see her mom too.

Anyone see the mid-season preview? Things are looking good.

Very much enjoyed the Leia episode.

Tonight's episode of Star Wars Rebels ties in with Marvel Comics Star Wars Kanan #10 issue that was released today.  The shared universe working at its finest.

So Sabine is of the Mandalorian "House of Ren"? That can't be a coincidence, and I'm not sure I like where this is going.

ETA: Never mind. I just realized that Sabine's last name is spelled "Wren." Still think the story group created some unnecessary confusion for casual viewers.

Edited by revbfc

So Sabine is of the Mandalorian "House of Ren"? That can't be a coincidence, and I'm not sure I like where this is going.

ETA: Never mind. I just realized that Sabine's last name is spelled "Wren." Still think the story group created some unnecessary confusion for casual viewers.

Yeah, that confused me too before I read the correct spelling.

I think this episode seemed to imply that Sabine is the niece of Duchess Satine

from The Clone Wars.  That would make her mother Bo-Katarn, who was voiced

by Katee Sackhoff.  Filoni said that he thought Sabine's parents were in

the throne room during the earlier Mandolorian episodes

Edited by benteen

I wonder if part of the gap that Ganesh is pointing to may not be because we are dealing here with a very far out and isolated region. Isn't Lothal supposed to be what you get at the end of the bridge to nowhere? It is possible that they simply have no idea of all that is going on. Although i guess that would raise the question of why Darth Vader would really care about them...

If it's a backwater system, then ok. It seems like their actions have called their own attention to the Empire, however. And if iirc correctly, in S1, Kanan 'revealed' himself as a Jedi, and the Empire bad guy immediately reported it to Vader. So that caught their attention. Then, Kanan killed the Inquisitor, so their profile may be a little more raised. Bail might be keeping them more separated than most other cells because of the extra risk of having a Jedi around. 

I think this is slipping over the line into fanwanking. I would like a little bit more of a clearer picture. It does seem like they're a little more well known to the Empire now.

In this episode, Kanan did say, "the empire has been chasing us all over the outer rim," so it seems that they've gained some infamy. Although, dumb on Hera's part to be like, "o hai, we has rebels?" Instead of just asking to travel through.

Wow, do they get some good actors or what? That guy sounds like Kevin McKidd. It is!

I really like the mechanical sounds on this show. Ships landing, attaching the thermal detonators, doors opening, levers, etc.

I tend to agree with Kanan though. If we're figuring the rebels are still a few years away from an actual military force, then making the extra effort to negotiate with other peoples and not just beating them up is going to win more people to your cause. It makes more sense if they join willingly then forced. 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

In this episode, Kanan did say, "the empire has been chasing us all over the outer rim," so it seems that they've gained some infamy. Although, dumb on Hera's part to be like, "o hai, we has rebels?" Instead of just asking to travel through.

Of course they did.  These were the rebels that caused enough headache, the emperor sent Moff Tarkin to handle them in season 1.  Even then Ezra managed to broadcast his rebellion message right under Tarkin's nose, which was a slap on his face.  Add to that a dead Grand Inquisitor, plus they barely escaped Vader.

I thought it was just an Ok episode. Nice to get some back story on Zeb. It was extremely obvious that they didn't have the budget to animate the Lasat Colony.I enjoyed the visuals of the Maelstrom and of the TIEs breaking up. Also, they outwit Kalus yet again. I think he has had more chances than those two dudes Tarkin had beheaded by now. And it is always nice to see Hondo.

Edited by ZoqFotPik

I thought it was just an Ok episode. Nice to get some back story on Zeb. It was extremely obvious that they didn't have the budget to animate the Lasat Colony.I enjoyed the visuals of the Maelstrom and of the TIEs breaking up. Also, they outwit Kalus yet again. I think he has had more chances than those two dudes Tarkin had beheaded by now. And it is always nice to see Hondo.

Of course, Kalus is the main villain for the show, of course he keeps getting more chances. Vader would have forced choked him by now or if this was the current set, Kylo run would have sliced him to pieces. They just keep setting it up that Zeb is the one to take Kalus down in the long run, but they are drawing it out too much now.

Well, Kanan and Ezra did lend their Force Focus to it. One could argue that they were able to navigate a path through the gravitational waves. The Jedi and Sith don't have the rights to uses of the Force. The Clone Wars actually had some good episodes on that for me.

Eh, so it was a little filler and gives some backstory. I'm all right with it. If you're going to put a 20+ hour season out, not everything can be strictly Empire/Rebel all the time.

The Empire is a fairly vast organization at this point. I can buy that maybe at the start of the Empire, Palpatine maybe sent Vader in to choke out all the officers screwing up all the time. Since we're only 4 years out to ANH, they might not be able to afford to do that anymore, and having some commanders of frigates who actually know what they're doing to keep the ship running, they're going to keep around. Plus, this rebel cell is seemingly operating on the fringes of the Empire. Though they have done a lot of damage, it's probably too many resources to devote coming all the way out there. Versus potential Rebel activity closer to the galactic core; e.g., Coruscant, etc. 

Kalus may have a huge jurisdiction to cover. I tend to think that both Kalus and Zeb can't just settle their feud anytime soon because they each have to serve a greater body. So, yeah, TPTBs are setting up a personal vendetta, and it's being drawn out because it's tv, but I don't think it's contrived. It's not toeing the line, but maybe a couple of feet behind the line. It's an interesting point, because Zeb is in for revenge, but is on the "good" side, so can he overcome that and move past that? That's really the point.  

Well, Kanan and Ezra did lend their Force Focus to it. One could argue that they were able to navigate a path through the gravitational waves. The Jedi and Sith don't have the rights to uses of the Force. The Clone Wars actually had some good episodes on that for me.

Other people can use the force, sure, but his is a feat so far beyond anything involving the force in any of the films that it's mind boggling. The most impressive thing a Jedi ever did in a film was ... lift an X-Wing out of a swamp. Zeb's shocky stick was holding back the gravitational force of an "imploded star cluster", that's like the difference in power between Jimmy Olsen and Superman.

LOL about Kallus receiving more chances that those two beheaded halfwit officers.  So true.

Right and as said above, they are just towing it behind the line a bit. He could have gone up in smoke when the B-Wing annihilated the partnered Star Destroyer next to him. The throw away line about Zeb telling them to let Kallus have it. Was along the lines of: "If you kill him, awesome, I won't hold it against you." The way they keep doing this and the way they keep saying that one of the main characters is suppose to die by the end of the season. I see it being Zeb taking out Kallus. Especially with the set up of the other Admiral that escaped a few episodes back. 

The show's been solid, so I'm wondering if Ezra has some kind of connection with sentient beings. He called up the big bat/spider thing earlier on the Pitch Black planet too. I do like that Kanan was willing to listen to him.

The show's been solid, so I'm wondering if Ezra has some kind of connection with sentient beings. He called up the big bat/spider thing earlier on the Pitch Black planet too. I do like that Kanan was willing to listen to him.

I thought Kanan recognized that as one of Ezra's force powers back in season 1?  Kanan listening to Ezra was inline with that acknowledgement.

Did anyone else notice the space whales (I can't remember the creature's name)  had different colors (more like rainbow as supposed to tan) after they fed on the gas?  That was a very nice touch

Edited by DarkRaichu
  • Love 1

I thought Kanan recognized that as one of Ezra's force powers back in season 1?  Kanan listening to Ezra was inline with that acknowledgement.

Did anyone else notice the space whales (I can't remember the creature's name)  had different colors (more like rainbow as supposed to tan) after they fed on the gas?  That was a very nice touch

I think the space whales were called Pergils. But I like space whales better.

• Love 1

Homecoming was a very good episode but good lord, do these shows feel rushed.  I don't think it even clocked it at twenty minutes of actual content.  If they allowed the story to breathe, I think it would have gone from a good episode to a great episode.

Enjoyed seeing Cham return and it provided another good storyline for Hera, who is a great character.  I like how she slipped back into her natural (French) accent when arguing with her father.