Type keyword(s) to search

Star Wars Rebels - General Discussion

• Start Topic

My take on Ezra: when he was basically saying he was afraid of losing any more of his friends all I could think of was "Fear is the path to the Dark Side....."

They're doing really good this season hopefully we won't be getting many filler episode but that's kinda unlikely since Thrawn is finally canon.

• Love 1

I like when the shows do more than just the binary Jedi/Sith narrative. Ezra was BAMF at the beginning and I've always thought of the Jedi were more merciless they could have won. (in the prequels) They got played for fools because they were so predictable. 

I'd like if Ezra gained some level of infamy. 

I would have liked more of Ezra with the holocron and Kanan gaining sight. That might have made for a good web series prequel. 

But I bought Ezra being taken down a peg. Minus the Force, blowing up a station and stealing ships could have been a Farscape episode. It kind of was. 

Decent episode. Nice little breather from the action heavy premiere. It was interesting that Maul wanted hope when looking into the holocrons. I wonder who the 'He' is that Maul saw. 

I really hope we get a Sato centric episode this season. I'm really curious to know more about him, his background, what he was doing during the Clone Wars, why and how he came to join the Rebellion.

3 hours ago, cambridgeguy said:

Probably Obi-Wan.  The twin suns line is almost certainly a reference to Tatooine so the question is do either Maul or Ezra know about Luke.

That was the first thing i thought of. Maul going after Obi-Wan. Oh can we get a final Obi-Wan/Darth Maul show down?

I really liked this episode. I'm curious about Kanan's "real" name. I couldn't understand what Maul was saying but should i know the name? I don't recall them mentioningthat Kanan was an alias before. Did i miss something? 

Kanan's real name is Caleb Dume. I'm not sure if it has ever been mentioned on the show, but it was revealed in the book "A New Dawn" which tells the story of how Kanan and Hera met.

I considered 'He' would  Kenobi, but I don't like the idea of Kanan and Ezra knowing the identity and location of another Jedi Master. I like the 'I don't really know what I'm doing either' relationship between the two, and giving Kanan a resource to consult would cheapen their relationship. Unless they do it similar to how they handled Yoda in that they know that he is out there but don't know where and are unable to contact him. 

Edited by ZoqFotPik

There's also a comic series that shows a bit of his backstory: his master Depa Billaba's sacrifice to save him, his sort-of apprenticeship/partnership with a smuggler, that sort of thing. How Caleb became Kanan, basically. Then he meets Hera in A New Dawn and that sets us up for Rebels.

I considered 'He' would  Kenobi, but I don't like the idea of Kanan and Ezra knowing the identity and location of another Jedi Master. I like the 'I don't really know what I'm doing either' relationship between the two, and giving Kanan a resource to consult would cheapen their relationship. Unless they do it similar to how they handled Yoda in that they know that he is out there but don't know where and are unable to contact him. 

Obi Wan's on Tattooine mainly to look out for Luke, so I don't think he'll be leaving to helping the Ghost crew. Also Obi Wan told Luke in the first movie he hadn't heard his real name in a "long time". So either he doesn't meet Kanan or he calls him by his new name "Ben".

I really do look forward to James Arnold Taylor playing him again and Maul fighting Obi Wan and the latter finally ending him for good(especially for Satine).

Edited by VCRTracking

Kanan getting shot out of the airlock was fantastic. 

I'm not a huge Maul fan because I think he's played out. Despite the voice actor being awesome. I do agree that there should be some characters that should be only out for themselves, and I get how Maul fits that, plus the revenge factor. I just think it would be more interesting to develop a new character to that end. Maul kind of has outlived his usefulness.

Maul had to have seen Kenobi.

I didn't realize Ezra felt guilty about Kanan. That was some good character development there. 

I thought this was a good episode. I liked seeing Bendu again, and that he helped to facilitate the reconciliation between Kanan and Ezra. Ezra was clearly carrying around a lot of guilt from that (probably not helped by Kanan basically disconnecting from the Ghost crew for months) and the hug in the cave between the two of them was very sweet. I am guessing that with both holocrons back in their possession they will still butt heads over whether or not to use the knowledge stored in them.

I'm assuming Maul saw Kenobi ("he lives!") in his vision, though I'm very interested in why Maul is searching for hope and why that would lead him to Kenobi (assuming that's who it is). I've seen some people speculate it's actually Savage, but didn't he dissolve into the Force/Nightsister magic when Sidious killed him during TCW? And Ezra's "twin suns" has to be Tatooine, so I'm guessing he would have seen Luke if he had kept looking at the holocrons. Personally, I want one last Kenobi/Maul showdown, because Maul needs to die. How many times has he survived now? I think he's a lot more interesting now as a grey character but I also want him dead.

One thing I'm curious about... how did Maul know that Kanan's real name is Caleb Dume? Someone's been doing research. And I did get a little chuckle of Sabine being a bit shamefaced when Maul brought up that he had ruled Mandalore. She would have been very young when that happened but the whole exchange was a nice little moment of levity.

I was bit miffed Kanan just walked into Maul's trap after he generally seems to be more in tune with the Force these days, but the whole airlock scene was really well done (I was counting the seconds until he got back into the hanger). The animation of the ice crystals forming on his body and his gulping air was so well done. Kudos to the show; I think the animation has definitely improved this season (not that it was bad before but it seems to be even better now).

Edited by catray
brain fart, unfinished thoughts
10 hours ago, catray said:

One thing I'm curious about... how did Maul know that Kanan's real name is Caleb Dume? Someone's been doing research.

He may have pulled it from Hera or Kanan's mind at some point.

10 hours ago, catray said:

And I did get a little chuckle of Sabine being a bit shamefaced when Maul brought up that he had ruled Mandalore. She would have been very young when that happened but

According to the dates on Wookieepedia, she would have been around a year old when during that period.

On 9/29/2016 at 9:06 PM, ganesh said:

I like when the shows do more than just the binary Jedi/Sith narrative. Ezra was BAMF at the beginning and I've always thought of the Jedi were more merciless they could have won. (in the prequels) They got played for fools because they were so predictable. 

I just watched some of the old Clone Wars episodes and that was pretty much the gist of discussion between Anakin and Captain Tarkin.

11 hours ago, catray said:

I've seen some people speculate it's actually Savage, but didn't he dissolve into the Force/Nightsister magic when Sidious killed him during TCW?

I also immediately thought of Savage, just because Maul mentioned he was lonely and Savage was the only true friend he ever had.

Yeah, but on the show we go from "I see twin suns" to "He lives", and then Maul just takes off. Just because Maul said "hope" doesn't mean it's anything nice. "I hope Kenobi is alive so I can get my revenge on him chopping my legs off."

As much as I don't like it that much, it's highly likely that it's Kenobi. I don't want this to take over the show though. It's about forming the alliance. 

How old is Luke in comparison to Ezra?

1 hour ago, ganesh said:

Yeah, but on the show we go from "I see twin suns" to "He lives", and then Maul just takes off. Just because Maul said "hope" doesn't mean it's anything nice. "I hope Kenobi is alive so I can get my revenge on him chopping my legs off."

As much as I don't like it that much, it's highly likely that it's Kenobi. I don't want this to take over the show though. It's about forming the alliance. 

How old is Luke in comparison to Ezra?

I'd say the same age, since Ezra is the same age as Leia ;)

Maul has lived so long without his lower half, not sure what the sense of getting revenge now.  Say he kills Ben (we know it won't happen), what benefit would that give Maul ???  On the other hand, Savage being alive is hope for Maul.  The vision is incomplete, both Ezra and Maul may have seen twin suns, but they might not interpret that the same way.  All I am saying is, Tatooine cannot be the only planet with twin suns in the whole galaxy.   ;)

Edited by DarkRaichu

Tatooine probably isn't the only planet with twin suns, but clearly, someone on Star Wars mentioning twin suns connotes something very specific to Star Wars viewers. Kenobi isn't the last Jedi around, but he's likely the strongest. In terms of Episodes I-IV, Tatooine is like the center of the universe. 

7 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

Maul has lived so long without his lower half, not sure what the sense of getting revenge now.

Vendetta. Not to be glib, humans have been doing it since the dawn of recorded history. If Maul doesn't get his legs cut off, he could have defeated Dooku and been the real apprentice to the emperor. He probably thinks he could have taken out Vader, or Anakin and then been the only Sith in position to remove Palpatine from power. Either way, he had a lot going for him till Kenobi chopped him down. Maul really only has one story, which is why I wish they had a new character in the 'force rogue' role. I don't see what the point of reuniting with Savage is within the context of the show. 

On 10/3/2016 at 2:23 PM, ganesh said:

Tatooine probably isn't the only planet with twin suns, but clearly, someone on Star Wars mentioning twin suns connotes something very specific to Star Wars viewers. Kenobi isn't the last Jedi around, but he's likely the strongest. In terms of Episodes I-IV, Tatooine is like the center of the universe. 

Again, the premonition was incomplete.  As viewers/fans, WE immediately thought of Tatooine.  However, obviously Ezra & friends did not immediately relate twin suns with Tatooine.  It was possible that Maul immediately thought of a completely different planet when he saw the twin suns

On 10/3/2016 at 2:23 PM, ganesh said:

Vendetta. Not to be glib, humans have been doing it since the dawn of recorded history. If Maul doesn't get his legs cut off, he could have defeated Dooku and been the real apprentice to the emperor. He probably thinks he could have taken out Vader, or Anakin and then been the only Sith in position to remove Palpatine from power. Either way, he had a lot going for him till Kenobi chopped him down. Maul really only has one story, which is why I wish they had a new character in the 'force rogue' role. I don't see what the point of reuniting with Savage is within the context of the show. 

I hope not, that is too much living in the past even for Maul.  Even if Maul kills Obi Wan, then what? Palpatine and Vader are still on top of the food chain and Maul cannot be anything significant when those 2 are on top. At least with Savage he might have a chance vs Vader.  

BUT my twisted mind just came up with a different scenario.  What if Maul wants to transfer his mind to Savage's body so he can become whole again?  He was stuck in that Sith temple long enough he might have found a way to do it. :)

Although it could be a fake out, is it clear that Maul so the twin sons or only Ezra?  If it was Ezra then it is hard ro see how it could not be Tatooine even if the Ghost Gang doesn't know it.  After all, Ezra was looking for a way to defeat the Sith and that is Luke.

Maul seeing Savage makes sense because he (Maul) said he was looking for "hope" and I'm not really sure how seeing Kenobi would fit into that. However I *would* love to see Obi Wan and Maul duke it out one last time, preferably with Maul finally being finished off. A girl can dream, I suppose. I'm also pretty sure Savage's body is long gone, unless Mother Talzin isn't really dead either and can somehow bring him back... 

I think only Ezra saw the twin suns, but we'll see! 

"I hope Kenobi's alive so I can chop him up like he did to me." Maul's version of hope might be different than what we think. I really hope this is just a side plot because I don't want it to dominate the show. I'd almost want Ahsoka to take him out so he never gets the chance to face Kenobi again. I don't think we really should see Kenobi at all unless it's like the final frame of the series. Which would be awesome if it was a final scene with Ahsoka and him and he tells her to just go. 

10 hours ago, call me ishmael said:

If it was Ezra then it is hard ro see how it could not be Tatooine even if the Ghost Gang doesn't know it.  After all, Ezra was looking for a way to defeat the Sith and that is Luke.

Ezra for sure said he saw the twin suns, but I don't recall if that meant Maul was seeing the same thing. At the start, Maul was whining because he didn't see anything.

Maul sucks. Blind Kanan beat him and Kanan admittedly doesn't know what he's doing. At this point, Ezra could probably hold him to a stalemate. 

So six more A-wings lost, and based on what Ezra said, these weren't the only losses lately. I really want to know where all of these fighters are coming from. 

Wedge, Hobbie, and Rake want to defect. Gee, I wonder who isn't going to make it? I kind of wish he would have survived so there would some drama surrounding his character. As it stands, we know that Wedge and Hobbie both survive until Hoth, and in Wedge's case Endor. So there's no possibility of them dying on the show.

Kallus is Fulcrum 2, or at least was this one time. "The Honorable Ones" seemed to indicate that is he has become somewhat disillusioned with the Empire. Interesting to see where this going. I wonder if the Flight School Instructor will become recurring?

Sabine looks great with brunette hair.

Yep, Kallus is definitely the new Fulcrum.

They really did base Pryce completely on Irina Spalko from INDY 4 except for the accent. The fight with her and Sabine was brutally awesome.

Loved Sabine's "That's cute." line.

Edited by VCRTracking
10 hours ago, ZoqFotPik said:

So six more A-wings lost, and based on what Ezra said, these weren't the only losses lately. I really want to know where all of these fighters are coming from. 

Especially since by the time ANH rolls around not to far from now the rebels have tons of materiel. 

I really liked Sabine being the dashing hero of the story. As much as I like the force and choking people, the rebels can't be successful without real people stepping up. 

I'm shocked that Kallus would be Fulcrum. So interesting. 

I'm a little torn on this episode. I enjoyed it and it was great seeing Wedge (and Hobbie) escape the Empire and join the Rebellion. On the other hand, the risk vs reward of sending in Sabine to get out only two pilots (RIP Rake) seemed... well, perhaps not worth it? I don't know. I mean, I get that the Rebellion is taking a huge risk just by existing but I feel like this episode might have worked better in a different setting? But I loved Sabine going to toe-to-toe with Pryce and then rescuing Wedge and Hobbie.

I love that Kallus is potentially a new Fulcrum-- it was a great moment when he helped Sabine, Wedge, and Hobbie escape. I think they definitely set the seeds for that in S2 after he was stranded with Zeb, so I am looking forward to seeing more it this season!

4 hours ago, catray said:

I'm a little torn on this episode. I enjoyed it and it was great seeing Wedge (and Hobbie) escape the Empire and join the Rebellion. On the other hand, the risk vs reward of sending in Sabine to get out only two pilots (RIP Rake) seemed... well, perhaps not worth it? I don't know. I mean, I get that the Rebellion is taking a huge risk just by existing but I feel like this episode might have worked better in a different setting? But I loved Sabine going to toe-to-toe with Pryce and then rescuing Wedge and Hobbie.

I thought this one was a surprisingly "kiddie" episode. You are right about the risk vs reward issue and then Sabine was really poor at playing undercover which surprised me.  Even the animation seemed off.  I thought they did a much better Sabine centered episode last year when they dealt with the Mandalorians more generally.  This seemed like fluff unless the whole point was that the empire was really corrupt.  But is that news?

I found this episode boring and very paint by the numbers. Sabine was better last year.

I predict that for the Rebels to grow something has to happen that is so heinous or grievous that the Outer Rim and other planets  finally say, why are we supporting the Empire? I bet Thrawn is at the center of it and gets exiled to some remote out of the place backwater sector where he remains until after the war is over, hence living and perhaps being one of the founders of the First Order. It would explain why we never see him in the movies and the clone wars series.

As for the Kenobi thing, at some point Leia learns of his existence and she records a message to him asking for help. Maybe she learned it from Bail.She also has R2 who knows all about Kenobi and the Skywalkers and who she really but never once tells anyone anything . Best little robot pal ever. I can't see Maul and him fighting again though because such a fight would reverberate in the force  and I think both Vader and Palpatine would sense it. Vader made it clear he hadn't felt the presence of Kenobi until he was in the ship and we know from Rebels he is still looking for him, in fact it seems to be the only thing on his mind.

On 10/9/2016 at 1:17 PM, ganesh said:

Especially since by the time ANH rolls around not to far from now the rebels have tons of materiel. 

I really liked Sabine being the dashing hero of the story. As much as I like the force and choking people, the rebels can't be successful without real people stepping up. 

I'm shocked that Kallus would be Fulcrum. So interesting. 

And here I thought most people wondered how  the Rebellion was able to take on the Death Star with so few ships (pre-Lucas touch up) ??  At least the high pilot casualties in Rebels tried to explain why the rebels' force was so small in ANH.

I like how Kallus is (most likely?) the new Fulcrum too.  This is a huge payoff from that Zeb & Kallus episode last season, and the countless times our gang of rebels let him live.

An okay episode. The little bits of Hera's backstory were nice and it was great to see Thrawn operate. We even got a little bit with Chopper and his old Y-wing. It was odd that, despite knowing who Ezra is, the Empire was willing to even offer to trade him for Cham. I would think they would pack him up and ship him off to Vader as soon as they identified him. Also, that was a pretty slick move by the Scout Trooper, even if as Zeb put it "You didn't think that one through, did you?". Minor thing The Phantom was attached to The Ghost in all of the shots of it, so either they somehow replaced it or, more likely, they didn't have the budget to reanimate The Ghost without it. Ezra didn't even get to keep the scout helmet.

One last thing, I'm no expert on the subject, but it doesn't seem particularly wise to keep the detonator resting on top of the explosives.

Edited by ZoqFotPik

I love Hera-centric episodes. She's my favorite character.

Thrawn was really well done. The scenes with him and Hera were great. His obsession with art was well established.

I didn't realize until reading a review this was the first time we see Imperial biker scouts on the show.

Cham's reaction to Hera blowing up their house was hilarious!

• Love 1

I'm finding it hard to figure out how Thrawn is exiled by the time ANH rolls around since he is seemingly the only high ranking Empire official with a modicum of strategy. At this point. I'll concede Vader outwitted everyone in ESB, but that's basically it. I suppose he may pursue his own ends by the close of the show. 

Not for nothing Ezra, who was a beast in the Force like last month?  If I'm imprisoned and can used the Force, I would be at least trying to use it.

To wit, Kanan, now blind, can now Force Push materiel projectiles. I'm fine with that. I liked how his use of the Force and lightsaber was tactical. 

Kanan is scarier now that he is blind. Not only did he control a moving missile, the missile was heading at him.  That was a Jedi Master level trick in Clone Wars.

I am thinking Tarkin will get jealous at Thrawn's successes and "reward" Thran with an exile by the end of the season ;)

Oh that makes sense. I forgot about Tarkin. That would actually be a really good plot. Tarkin is high up enough in ANH that he's ordering Vader around. I do hope there is some explanation now that Thrawn is canon. I guess they could kill him off too. 

• Love 1

I have to add that the show is doing a great job of writing stories that make sense and are interesting to those of us who have never explored the Star Wars universe beyond the movies.  I'm never left thinking that I'm missing something.

Totally. I am continually amazed at how this show and the Clone Wars have made this feel like an actual galactic network/system or whatever. I'm only vaguely aware of the (former) EU, but I knew who Thrawn was in general so I was excited to see what they'd do with him. (Apparently, the new Leia novel and the Vader comic are excellent too). 

• Love 1

I tried reading the Vadar comics and i just couldn't get into them. I did like the Star Wars comic though.  That one was set between ANH and ESB. 

I might check out that Leia novel though. I did love the EU, i got hooked by Timothy Zahn and Thrawn.

This was a decent episode; I mainly enjoyed it because Hera and Thrawn got to face off and set the stage for a greater conflict later. I liked getting some more background on Hera and the scene where Thrawn reveals Hera's identity and then stuns Ezra was really well done. Kanan was pretty badass in this episode too; loved his cocky little salute as the Ghost took off at the end. The blindness seems to be agreeing with him. I agree that it was a bit convenient Ezra didn't try to use the Force to escape their cell (or heck, that they didn't even separate them, but I guess that was all part of Thrawn's plan) but I did love how excited Chopped got about all the grenades at his disposal.

I loved the scout trooper taking some initiative, even if he didn't think it through. Too bad Ezra didn't get to keep the helmet for his collection!

I am liking the new EU a lot; I cherry picked through a minimal amount of Legends stuff (read the Thrawn trilogy and a few others) but the new stuff seems pretty good so far. The comics are excellent (Dark Vader and the main Star Wars books are very good; I'm also really enjoying the Han Solo one as well) and I loved Bloodlines and Lost Stars (I have the new Ahsoka novel but am waiting for a trip next week to read it).

On 10/17/2016 at 11:54 AM, DarkRaichu said:

I am thinking Tarkin will get jealous at Thrawn's successes and "reward" Thran with an exile by the end of the season ;)

I'm think it might have to do with the Death Star. Thrawn doesn't seem like the "blow up a planet to make point" type.

So that was fun, albeit filler, episode of 'The Clone Wars'. I mean 'Rebels'. It was nice to hear the battle droids "Roger, Roger." again. Rex seems to unsurprisingly be suffering a bit of PTSD. I wonder if we'll ever hear what happened to Cody, and how Rex will react when he finds out that Cody went through with 66. I'm not sure why they needed to have the droids shoot at Ezra and Kanan so that they could deflect the shots into the bombs when you have crack shots like Rex and Zeb, but oh well. So they replaced the Phantom, which thinking about it seemed to be the only point of the episode. I wonder if it will dock with the Ghost or serve as an independent ship. That fin might get in the way of the Ghost's turret in the case of the former.

Edited by ZoqFotPik

Wow, I got weirdly emotional during "The Last Battle". Not only did Rex and that tactical droid get closure for the Clone Wars but I did as well! Ezra was right, noone was meant to win the Clone Wars. The real winner was the Empire.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

So much nostalgia in this episode! Helps that they used some of Kiner's music cues from TCW series, and it worked perfectly. One thing I really liked was how Rex and Kanan slipped back into their Clone Wars roles-- Kanan as a commander (even though he was only a Padawan at the time, it shaped his experience greatly... see also: Ahsoka) and Rex as the soldier. It also showed up Ezra as out of his depth, but there's also the fact that the he war he's participating in is more guerilla in nature.

As whole, I think this episode was a little too simplistic as a real end to the Clone Wars, but was glad Ezra pointed out that both sides were essentially played and that the only winner was the Empire/Emperor, which at least helped this particular group move beyond their initial fight and turn on the Empire together.

The end, where they did the Rebels title card in Clone Wars yellow and style, was a perfect touch.

• Love 1

Maybe i missed something but those walkers had been dropped off by an imperial destroyer right? So having managed to get off the ground in old unusued shuttles they just all flew by the destroyer that waved them along??? I didn't think Thrawn was there to reward them for ending the Clone Wars.

I think Mandalorian centric episodes are the weakest part of Rebels and this was no exception.  It looked like 6 Vizla clan members were able to take out an encampment with 10-15 other Mandalorians?  These people were touted as tough but so far I do not buy it.  I have to agree with Ezra, Mandalorians are crazy :P

I need time to get used to the new Phantom.  I kind of looks like a bug when on the ground 

26 minutes ago, DarkRaichu said:

It looked like 6 Vizla clan members were able to take out an encampment with 10-15 other Mandalorians?

Maybe the attack force was larger and those 6 were just the ones who stayed behind to see if Fenn Rau turned up.

It took me a minute to get the "I know it was an accident!" line.

Finally caught up on the last 2 episodes.

I liked the Clone Wars wrap up episode but, it didn't have much of an emotional impact.  In fact, I spent a good 5 minutes looking at the robots with shields trying to remember if I fought those in Jedi Academy or Knights of the Old Republic.  Also, I get that this is a kids show but, i wasn't too fond of the fact that Ezra was the peacemaker, by figuring out that The Empire used both groups.  I think I would have preferred it if Rex or the Strategy droid figured it out on their own.

I really enjoyed the Sabine centered episode, mostly because it was something I'd watched and, so it had an emotional connection.  I don't particularly care about Sabine/Ezra, to be honest I thought they dropped the whole thing after S1, since it seemed like it was mostly a crush.

I did love that they got to fly around on jet packs, that was fun and enjoyed the bits of information we got on Sabine, like her mom.  I'm assuming that means Mama Sabine will be showing up this season.

Edited by Morrigan2575

I liked Ezra dropping Hondo's name and calling himself Lando. 

One thing I don't think there's nearly enough of in the Star Wars universe is that the jedi don't use force powers nearly enough, for like everything. So I was glad to see Ezra doing some of that. 

Edited by ganesh
On 11/12/2016 at 2:15 PM, ganesh said:

I liked Ezra dropping Hondo's name and calling himself Lando. 

One thing I don't think there's nearly enough of in the Star Wars universe is that the jedi don't use force powers nearly enough, for like everything. So I was glad to see Ezra doing some of that. 

Lando has been his alter ego since season 1 and he dropped Hondo's name ever since he met Hondo (IIRC).  Bonus points for continuity ;)

I recently watched some episodes of Clone Wars and I did not know Hondo was a big deal back in CW.