Type keyword(s) to search

Star Wars Rebels - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Thought it was a great episode.  I was leery about Yoda's involvement but I thought his interactions with Kanan and Ezra were excellent.  Loved the scene with Ezra in the stars and his lightsaber design is clever.

I do like it when they do mythology type episodes. Even though Kanaan still kind of bugs me as a character, I appreciate that we got to see both Ezra and Kanaan addressing what bothers me about them. And if I'm fair, they have every reason to be filled with doubt and fear. And it was lovely to hear Frank Oz as Yoda again. As annoying as it is that Yoda never answers directly, it's usually for a good reason.

Still not a fan of the thin lightsabers. Nor do I like Ezra's with a handle. Maybe it's to prep for the movie?

TVDB says:

The wrong gamble with a new acquaintance forces the crew into transporting some unusual cargo.

Coming after the past few episodes, this was a mildly (and likely deliberately) whimsical-in-its-way episode.  And considering how it ended, I'm wondering if resident offscreen scoundrel Vizago is being replaced...

• Love 1

From tvdb.com:

The crew of the Ghost try to thwart an Imperial plan to capture an exiled dignitary who wants to host a secret rally on Lothal.

I think the quote from my DVR is better: "The crew finds out something unexpected." To which I would say, not that unexpected.

I was only half watching the episode, because they really don't hold my interest. I'm hoping they improve, but dang am I not interested in Ezra's "journey" nor Kanan's. I'm hopeful it will improve and they're just laying the ground work. Because right now, the only character I like to watch is Hera.

I will say that I like how there is an overarching story, and I like Hera and her pragmatic vision of hope. 

Tarkin is the villain that this show needed.  Callus paired well with Zeb.  The Inquisitor was a great counterpart to Kanan.  But neither could suppress the rebels.  In fact, the last bit, when they tried to use the Senator-in-hiding card, Callus ruined the gambit.  So, now we have Tarkin to put them all back in line.  Having the Inquisitor kill off the two lousy rebel officiers was impressive.  Callus is probably on his last screw up before he gets killed.  Tarkin is truly scary and cold. 

I wonder if we'll meet Akbar by the end of the season.  Maybe he's Spectrum.

(edited)

Season 1 ends with the rebels infiltrating an Imperial fleet to perform a daring rescue.

AHSOOOOKAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

I heard spoilers that she was "Fulcrum" but it was still a nice surprise at the end. She looks great as an adult. I'm anticipating a reunion with Vader/Anakin.

I didn't expect the Inquisitor to be killed off so soon.

Wondered if the stolen TIE from a couple episodes would be brought back., Love the colors Sabine painted on it.

Come on, they're still not going to have Kanan and Hera kiss?

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 1

Ahsoka is Fulcrum!?!  I truly thought it was the Senator.  Well played, show.  So, will SWR finally show us the matchup between her and Vader? 

Dang it!  You killed the Inquisitor!  He was a great villain!  No expectation, no previous SW lore to compare with.  I enjoyed his time.  But I do like that the show is not afraid to kill... at least the bad guys.  But will they kill a good guy?  Or a core character?  Hmm.

And Vader!!!!  I'm happy but scared.  Anakin was such a disappointment of a person.  But Vader is freaking badass,  If JRJ still does his voice, and the character holds true to the original trilogy, then I welcome him as much as I welcomed Yoda or Tarkin.  But if this is the Prequel incarnation... take him back!  Don't ruin my Vader!

Wow, this was an awesome episode! Fantastic season finale, I didn't watch much of Clone wars but I remembered this character.

Now, I'm going to have to Netflix the entire Clone Wars series before S2 of Rebels starts.

I'm going to assume that's sarcasm.

Anyway, here's Dave Filoni's interview about the finale. The Inquisitor's definitely dead, and I think his assessment of Vader is spot on:

StarWars.com: When I was watching Vader in the last episode, I thought about how you really see a different version of him in each Star Wars movie. Do you have an idea of where Vader is at mentally during Rebels?

Dave Filoni: Oh, yeah. You have to. I’ve always believed that Vader has no repentant bone in his body until he realizes his son is alive. Luke is the opportunity that triggers everything that occurs. His awareness of Luke being alive forces him to remember his past in a way that’s uncomfortable for him. It forces him to remember Padmé. It forces him down a path of, “Maybe my son will join me, and together we can rule the galaxy.” Luke really has to get him past that thought, which kind of culminates in that scene on the bridge on Endor, when Vader says, “It’s too late for me.” That realization only happens because of Luke.

Up until that point, I think he’s a destroyer. He’s an incredibly angry, hate-filled destroyer. He hates himself. He hates what happened. He hates all his former friends because he thinks they betrayed him. Anakin Skywalker thinks that he never switched sides. He thinks he’s still fighting the good fight. He thinks Obi-Wan betrayed him. He thinks Padmé betrayed him and that led to her, and their child’s, death. He thinks the Jedi were staging a coup against the Republic. He thinks the Republic was weak, and that’s why it became corrupt and fell apart despite Palpatine’s attempts to save it. Overall, he internally hates himself for everything that occurred because he thinks that he wasn’t strong enough to make things right.

He’s consumed by these ideas and is pretty much trapped. He has no option aside from embracing his new persona — Darth Vader. What we encounter in Rebels now is just a wall of anger and hate — everything that the dark side manifests.

It’s interesting to look at how he might relate to Ahsoka now. She is a living memory of who he was. Even worse, she knew the good person he was.
  • Love 2

This show is severely hampered by its targeted age bracket.  There's no tension, and no point in having violence if the violence is so sanitized and risk free.

I have to, sadly, agree with this. And it ties into Ahsoka for me. She was so effing annoying at first, but she got a chance to grow and mature and it was great to watch. But, she wasn't a cheeky urchin meant to bring the kiddies in, even if she was their demographic. I should be patient and see if Ezra has that chance, and when he and Kanaan were in the old abandoned temple there were some glimpses. But otherwise, some of the antics just come across as childish. And Ahsoka, while the hook for kids, was surrounded by adults--Jedi and Clones--who didn't find indulge in a lot of silly antics.

But, seriously, the thin lightsaber blades bug. Every.single.time. And for all the uproar over that lightsaber in the trailer, one that fires is another thing that really, really bugs me. Stop messing with it! It's cool the way it is!

• Love 1
(edited)

Whoa.

Vader man....

Oh and Ahsoka totally knows who it is.

I didn't realize that Kanan and Hera's talk in the Rebel Blockade Runner corridor was similar to Han and Leia's on Hoth until somebody on Tumblr pointed it out!

Edited by VCRTracking

That is how you kick things off and I know they have Vader and Ashoka face off. You know its going to happen. I think the one part that I have never understood in the Star Wars universe is how the secret of Anikan Skywalker being Darth Vader was such an unknown. As proven in Revenge of the Sith, many knew about Skywalker's betrayal. I can understand Luke an Leia, that was only known to a handful but still and if anything how everyone just reacted like no one knew who was Darth Vader except for the Empire. Even the movies established that Vader hunted down more surviving jedi after his final battle with Obi-wan. Still an awesome episode especially when Vader took out most of the Rebel fleet on his own.

He had been Vader for years. And many new he was Anakin, certainly Obiwan, Yoda and some of the Rebels who were around long enough. There was p[robably fear involved with anyone not calling him Vader.

It was just Luke, Leia and us, the audience, who mostly were kept out.

Finally, this is the Vader we've been wanting to see since the mention of prequels. 

Anakin might not have been shown as the great Jedi and good friend in the prequels, but this is the Vader that is "twisted and evil".  He was brutal, clever, and monstrous.  He was two to three moves ahead of the rebels the entire time, and was only stopped by an inept commander and a tractor beam. 

Look at his accomplishments in only a few days.  He single handedly took down several A wing fighters and a command ship with only a modified TIE fighter with NO SHIELDS.  He removed an inferior, and potentially traitorous, public official while framing the rebels.  He burned a town of refugees just because they had recieved help from the rebels.  And he found the missing apprentice of Anakin Skywalker.

He has evolved beyond the point of calling himself Anakin, preferring to think of him as deceased.

The only reason why he is no longer chasing them is because the Emperor pulled on his leash.  If the Emperor hadn't decided to send another Inquisitor to hunt them down, then Vader would be chasing them, thus making the season only 3 episodes long.  And make no mistake, Vader might be backing off for the moment, but he is definitely going to track down his apprentice before this season is over.  The Big Fight between them will happen in this show, it's just a question of when.

And they got James Earl Jones for the voice, which is amazing. Also, Sam Witwer did a terrific job as the emperor. 

It was so good to see Ahsoka again. It was also a treat to see Vader being ruthless, calculating and cruel. To hear him talk about the apprentice and then actually say Obi-Wan's name out loud was disturbing.

I want to see more of Ahsoka, please and less of the rag tag group. 

That, that was really great.

I can't believe Disney netted James Earl Jones to reprise his iconic role. I'm grateful they did. Truly.

And if I didn't squint my eyes and read the credits, I honestly would have thought Ian McDiarmid also guest starred. But nope. Sam Witwer, man. That guy. He's a gift to fandom.

Yeah. The episode. Wow. Vader was great. Felt bad for Tua, but that's the Empire for you.

Can't believe Ahsoka didn't know. I really hope there's a book that explains just how she kept her down during Order 66, and why Vader would believe her to have perished.

Hope the Inquisitor is someone new. Not that I didn't like the old one, but I'd like a little variety.

• Love 1

From what I understand, the end of September. So Disney is just teasing us with Darth Vader and Ahsoka. On the other hand, they did say they couldn't return to Lothal, so I have a feeling Season 2 will be debating whether to join the rebels or not and continuing Ezra's training. And, Kanan, may I remind you? "Do or do not. There is no try."

It sucks to be a clone.

Wolffe is suffering from PTSD. They probably all are to an extent, but when Kanan pulled out the lightsaber, Wolffe's reaction was almost pure panic.

Based on that and Kanan's tone when he told his story and brought up the chip, it sounds like a lot of clones were killed by some pissed off Jedi. Sad thing is, the clones and Jedi really could've helped each other. The Jedi were on the run and hunted down from the Empire. The clones had a choice of serving the Empire (until they were spit out for being "too old") or being on the run and hunted down by both the Empire and the Jedi. Ahsoka saw the reasoning to work together, but her transmissions to Rex were hidden by Wolffe. To be fair, aside from the PSTD, the last time Wolffe saw Ahsoka he got his butt kicked.

Gregor doesn't seem to be…um, completely sane. Then again, last time we saw him was in the middle of a giant explosion. There might be some brain damage there. Still, I like the way he and Zeb interact.

Rex is still Rex, though, er Rex dear, when you are in hiding, you probably should not go admitting to complete strangers that you have a birth number. However, I think that's just Rex being himself and believing that no one would be looking for them anymore. He seems to be the only clone that Ahsoka tried to contact. I wonder if that means anything. Is he the only one she trusts, or is it simply that he might be the only one who is able and willing to help.

• Love 1

I am rather enjoying the conversations about the Clone Wars.  For years, Yoda and Obi said nothing about them.  Now, finally Kanan is talking about what it felt like when after years of fighting along side the clones that they suddenly turned on the Jedi in an instant.  Most of the time, Kanan tends to pout like a little kid stuck in the bad times, but with the clones, his reactions feel reasonable, especially when Wolf sells them to the Empire. 

After hearing the clones' side of it, I'm rather curious about the gap between the Clone Army and the Empire.  Who was with the Empire who wasn't already with the Clone Army?  And what the heck happened there?

I got to see this episode at NYCC two weeks ago and it was great.  An awesome battle capped off by the emotional reunion of Rex and Ahsoka.

I finally saw this with the now 13 year old son. I can't believe they brought up the implant chips--I barely remember that episode from Clone Wars. Was it with one of that groups of clones that was sort of followed (and the members kept getting killed? Fives, Heavy, Six etc). With the, as son said, Giraffe necked freaks from Camino. Wasn't Wolf Plo Koon's lieutenant? Which makes me wonder if Rex knows what happened with Anakin. That would be tough. Kudos to showing the aftermath for those clones. Especially since we occasionally got stories about what the war (and loss) meant to the Clones. And just goes to show what the clones got out of it. Nothing. The Clone Wars and this episode really helped cement how much the Jedi and Clones were betrayed and destroyed. And that it is really, really difficult to come back from that.

That being said, I could have totally done without the Zeb as bait part. Dragged on for too long, though I guess they were going for building a bridge between Kanan and the Clones. I dunno. Bored me.

But was it so heartbreaking to see Rex and Ahsoka. And I'm glad we got to see it. But this was the first time that Kanan's moodiness absolutely made sense. The way one of the clones (can't remember the name) called him General out of habit and then Commander. 

Also, it's interesting to see the groundwork being laid for the organization of the Rebels. 

• Love 1

The episodes dealing with the chips and Order 66 made up the first four episodes of The Lost Season that debuted on Netflix.  Fives was involved in it.

Edited by benteen

I'm really enjoying S2 so far. It's interesting to see the formation of the Rebel Alliance and i'm enjoying the growing cast. Still haven't watched The Clone Wars but I'm fascinated by the way the show is connecting the two shows and building this in between universe.

I'm glad Hera finally took front and center and I loved all things B-wing fighter.  Reminded me of The Clone Wars.  Great battle in the beginning and I liked Quarrie the fat Mon Cal (he was voiced by Corey Burton who did Count Dooku and others on TCW).

On the Rebels Recon, LFL's Pablo Hidalgo said that Wolffe and Gregor remained behind after Rex left and now live on that AT-AT.

• Love 2