Type keyword(s) to search

Star Wars Rebels - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The announcement for the last season of Clone Wars happened before the big forum upgrade, and even so there isn't a date other than it will be on the Disney streaming service. It was mentioned here in Rebels and now a topic has been created to speculate and chat about imo a terrific Star Wars show:

I’m so bummed I never knew about this show before it ended. Thank goodness for Disney+. I was bumming around looking at Star Wars stuff and saw the show. I wasnt a huge fan of Clone Wars when I found it on Netflix until the end, so I thought I’d give this show a chance. And I’m so glad I did. I’ve watched it twice now end to end.

I have so many thoughts about the show-the characters were amazing. My favorite scenes are always when the group is completely together, showing their trust in each other. So much growth for everyone over the seasons. I thought everyone was going to be wiped out at the end of the show, but I was surprised it was just Kanan.

Speaking of Kanan-he might be my favorite Jedi. So crazy that a Jedi with emotional ties was able to successfully teach another Jedi AND have a family to boot. It would have been fun for Kanan and Yoda to talk about his emotional ties and how successful he was as a Jedi Knight without the rules of the Jedi.

I think the relationship between Kanan and Erza was the relationship I always wanted to see between Anakin and Obi Wan. I think the teases of Erza being tempted by the darkside were even better than Anakin’s. Could you imagine if Kanan had survived and he helped Luke raise a new batch of Jedi? Maybe Ben Solo wouldn’t have turned darkside. Either way, I love that Hera and Kanan fully committed to raising Erza. I know Sabine and Zeb felt like their kids too-but were older and could hold their own, but Erza was totally their kid and they owned it.

I wish they had started the actual visible romance between Hera and Kanan earlier- I had always assumed “Mom and Dad” were together unseen but I was surprised when Kanan started actually talking about it in season four. I wonder if he knew Hera was pregnant.

I loved the small Easter eggs, like Sabine being the creator of the rebel phoenix, or seeing the rebel phoenix in smoke trails when the kids steal a ship to rescue Kanan. I also love how Erza stands in his last shot is exactly how Kanan stands in his last shot. 

I went searching for interviews after I finished the series and I liked that Dave Filioni (who I will now watch anything he does Star Wars) said that this show ended a Saga, but started another with Sabine and Ahsoka. I hope we get Sabine and Ahsoka’s wild adventure looking for Erza. Or even a prequel of Hera’s and Kanan’s adventures before Rebels. I would love to see them on their own and then eventually adding Zeb and Sabine.

I would love someone from Rebels actually physically showing up in the live action shows/movies. I keep waiting to hear Sabine’s name in The Mandalorian.

This show is definitely top five Star Wars things to love for me. I hope it gets enough views on Disney+ for them to try another series. And I hope Filioni is in charge of it.

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Love 1

Rumors are FLYING online that there’s going to be a sequel series to Rebels-and that it’s coming out this year! 

Although I’m slightly disappointed because I really wanted a live-action sequel. I’m hopeful we’ll see Sabine and Ahsoka on the Mandalorian next season, and I’ll take a series any way I can get it.

The search for Erza is apparently on!

I am WAY late to this Star Wars: Rebels party but  I'm getting through the 2020 Pandemic by binge-watching my way through the whole Star Wars saga -- canon movies AND TV shows -- in chronological order according to the official Star Wars timeline.  (And to think, I only signed up for Disney+ because I wanted to see "Hamilton".)

Today I got the the two-part finale of season 2 of Rebels with the show-down at the Sith Temple between TeamRebels (including Ahsoka -- now referred to as "Lady Tano" -- as well as the enemy-of-my-enemy formerly known as Darth Maul) vs. a trio of wanna-be-Siths, who were all rendered irrelevant when Darth Vader himself showed up.

Damn.  That was GOOD.  I knew of course that Vader could not die in the fight but every other character was legitimately at risk and that made it SO exciting.

In the end there WERE consequences.  Ezra did NOT turn the the dark side (or whatever "side" Maul is now on) as I feared he would, but Kanan is now blind and . . . unless I'm mistaken . . . Lady Tano walked back into the collapsing temple after Vader staggered out and I assume that means she is now trapped within, keeping guard, and that we will never see her again.  (If I'm wrong, DON"T tell me!  I'm diving into Season 3 now.)

This is such a thrilling ride.

And now my watch is ended.

Damn.  That was GOOD.  Kanan's sacrifice . . . words fail me.  I can't think of the last time a Star Wars death affected me that strongly.  Wait . . . yes I can.  Kanan's sacrifice is right up there with Vader turning on the Emperor in order to save his son.  As we learned in the last episode of "Rebels," Kanan's sacrifice also saves HIS (unborn) son.  Whoa.  The symmetry.  ("All of this has happened before and will happen again.")

I suppose that on some level I had to know Kanan's death was coming because in the original Trilogy we are led to believe that all the other Jedi (other than Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda) are dead.  But Kanan's death still hit me really hard.  And then my mental calculus kicked in and I told myself that Ahsoka had renounced being a Jedi so maybe SHE could survive the series and Ezra was just a padawan -- not a full Jedi -- so maybe HE would survive the series . . . but actually I was just waiting to see them both fall in the final few episodes.  So color me surprised that the show-runners found an out for both of them and that they left the door open for those characters to return, while giving us a plausible explanation for why they are not around during the original trilogy.  (I can't recall if either of them popped up in the Force Awakens/Last Jedi/Rise of Skywalker trilogy and if they do, don't tell me.  I don't want to know.  My re-watch of the remaining content -- Rogue One/Original Trilogy/Mandalorian/Sequel Trilogy -- is about to begin.)

Bottom line . . . this was a terrific series.  I frequently forgot I was watching an animated show because the voice actors and the animators did such a good job.  I also completely forgot I was watching a "children's" show.  (Seriously, can we all just admit that that descriptor NEVER fit Star Wars?)  

But now that the series is over I find that one of my questions remains unanswered.  I loved the recently-released, live-action "Mandalorian" series and therefore I was delighted to find the Mandalorian culture featured in "Clone Wars" and "Rebels".  When they first turned up in "Rebels" I assumed I would see some episodes that would bridge the gap between the peak of Mandalorian culture that we saw in "Clone Wars" and the struggling remnants of Mandalorian culture we see in "The Mandalorian," but that turned out to NOT be the case.  There are still many, many unanswered questions about the Mandalorians' fate at the end of "Rebels".  I guess I will have to be satisfied with the hints given in this series, particularly the civil war we saw break out when one of the clans joined forces with the Empire.  It was nice to see the other clans come together to defeat that threat, but I guess we are left to assume that that moment of unity among the clans was fleeting and that eventually the Mandalorian culture (if not the whole planet) is destroyed by the emperor in retribution for their uprising.  I now look forward to my rewatch of "The Mandalorian" because I will be looking for call-backs in that series to what I learned about Mandalore in "Clone Wars" and "Rebels."

But back on the topic of Star Wars: Rebels . . . damn, that was GOOD.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
On 9/5/2020 at 6:49 PM, WatchrTina said:

But now that the series is over I find that one of my questions remains unanswered.  I loved the recently-released, live-action "Mandalorian" series and therefore I was delighted to find the Mandalorian culture featured in "Clone Wars" and "Rebels".  When they first turned up in "Rebels" I assumed I would see some episodes that would bridge the gap between the peak of Mandalorian culture that we saw in "Clone Wars" and the struggling remnants of Mandalorian culture we see in "The Mandalorian," but that turned out to NOT be the case.  There are still many, many unanswered questions about the Mandalorians' fate at the end of "Rebels".  I guess I will have to be satisfied with the hints given in this series, particularly the civil war we saw break out when one of the clans joined forces with the Empire.  It was nice to see the other clans come together to defeat that threat, but I guess we are left to assume that that moment of unity among the clans was fleeting and that eventually the Mandalorian culture (if not the whole planet) is destroyed by the emperor in retribution for their uprising.

Some answers are provided in episode 5 of 'The Book of Boba Fett' which was basically another episode of the Mandalorian. And I think more will come in season 3 of that show. And if you haven't done it already you should put Ahsoka's upcoming show on your waiting list.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, KeithJ said:

I started rewatching this before Ahsoka drops and I really don't remember Ezra being such a horrible character in season 1.

He! A lot of people feel the same about Ahsoka in season 1 (though I quite liked her). I started rewatching Rebels too and I think they relied a tad too hard on the annoying teenager trope. I think it helps to view him as a catalyst for Kanan to deal with his own demons. It gets better once the underlying trauma is explained. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, KeithJ said:

I started rewatching this before Ahsoka drops and I really don't remember Ezra being such a horrible character in season 1.

I started re-watching prior to the Ahsoka show too and it's not just Ezra who is tough to swallow. Zeb and Chopper...ugh. It feels way more like a kids show than Clone Wars ever did. And watching it again, after finishing Bad Batch, it's hard. I'm on season 2 and it's tough going. 

8 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I think it helps to view him as a catalyst for Kanan to deal with his own demons. It gets better once the underlying trauma is explained. 

It does help. And knowing the story for Kanan helps watching it now. But I remember it was tough watching it when it first aired. 

• Like 2