Type keyword(s) to search

Freak Show Speculation And Spoilers

• Start Topic

I read that they cast the current smallest woman in the world.  Hope she enjoys being in the show. I have mixed feelings about real sideshows but if somebody ENJOYS being an attraction and isn't COMPELLED to be an attraction, then go for it. 

Does anybody get whether Jessica Lange's character has any deformities or is she the owner or something?  I wonder if the third boob on Angela Basset is in the actul show or just something for the poster.  I think I am going to enjoy Angela Basset and Kathy Bates going back and forth again.  IIRC one's character is married to the other's ex so I'm hoping they have a rivalry because that was part of the fun of Coven.  So was the back and forth between Jessica and Angela, so I hope they have reason to be at odds too. 

• Love 1

I read that they cast the current smallest woman in the world.  Hope she enjoys being in the show. I have mixed feelings about real sideshows but if somebody ENJOYS being an attraction and isn't COMPELLED to be an attraction, then go for it. 

Does anybody get whether Jessica Lange's character has any deformities or is she the owner or something?  I wonder if the third boob on Angela Basset is in the actul show or just something for the poster.  I think I am going to enjoy Angela Basset and Kathy Bates going back and forth again.  IIRC one's character is married to the other's ex so I'm hoping they have a rivalry because that was part of the fun of Coven.  So was the back and forth between Jessica and Angela, so I hope they have reason to be at odds too. 

Jessica's either the owner or the ringmaster...Angela is married to Kathy's ex.  I think it's awesome, not only is there the (possible) race issue of marrying interracially, but having your ex leave you( and your beard) for a woman with 3 boobs. I think it's awesome.

The more I read about this season, the more excited for it. It genuinely sounds like it's going to be a serious bunch of craziness.

Oh and here's a Ryan Murphy interview with even more spoilers ... http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/15/american-horror-story-freak-show-ryan-murphy/

"Twisty the Clown" who will make me faint in fear when he takes off his mask?  Well shit, this is absolutely going to scare the shit out of me....I freaking hate clowns.  

• Love 4

I'm one of the people with a clown phobia so I am not excited by the idea of the clown.  But I'll be watching anyway because the whole point of this is to have the crap scared out of me.  My daughter thinks I'm weird because it's my idea of good fun to be terrified by a show/book and she's probably right, but there it is.

I haven't really been scared by AHS since the first season.  Murder House was just so creepy.  Even when there were no big frights happening, I just felt uneasy watching the show the entire time.  And that shot of the dead girl curled up ... I just ... it gives me the shivers even now.  Asylum didn't scare me at all and Coven just made me angry so here's looking forward to being scared again. 

• Love 6

I just wiki'd Edward Mordrake because I was unfamiliar, and that story sounds really cool. I'm excited to see how they pull it off. Twisty though... I don't have a clown phobia, but if he looks anything like that clown from the commercial then I just might develop one.

• Love 1

"Twisty the Clown" who will make me faint in fear when he takes off his mask?  Well shit, this is absolutely going to scare the shit out of me....I freaking hate clowns.  

I'm with you - clown freak me the hell out and I think they're creepy/scary as anything .... I don't know how I'm going to react to this character.

Ryan Murphy's description is enough to make me hyperventilate. 

LOVE the photos of the cast!  I got a good look at Evan Peters "lobster boy" hands.  It appears to be the first 2 fingers and the last 2 fingers simply stuck together.  I wonder if his character is going to follow a similar story line to Grady Stiles Sr. the original and most well known lobster boy?

I have to admit, I would've rather they didn't do that storyline with Jimmy and Maggie to be honest. Unless they genuinely can ensure it won't be a Madison/Kyle/Zoe redux.

Reading the blurbs for the characters, I get the impression that Dandy (Finn Wittrock's character) is gay and finds himself identifying with the freaks because his mother, Gloria (Frances Conroy's character) might not be so accepting of his sexuality. I could be way off though.

Entertainment Weekly has 21 photos, including Jessica Lange as Elsa Mars (the boss), Kathy Bates as Ethel Darling (the bearded lady), Evan Peters as Jimmy Darling (lobster boy), Angela Bassett as Desiree Dupree (the three-breasted lady), Michael Chiklis as Dell (the strongman), Denis O'Hare as Stanley, Francis Conroy as Gloria Mott, Jyoti Amge as Ma Petite (a little person), Naomi Grossman as Pepper (a pinhead), Erika Ervin as Amazon Eve, and Mat Fraser as the Illustrated Seal.

Edited to add that Sarah Paulson as Bette & Dot (the siamese twins) is not pictured. Nor are Gabourey Sidibe & Emma Roberts.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

Looking at those pictures, I can't help but view them through a Ryan Murphy-lens, pondering the numerous over-the-top atrocities that could befall these characters. Mainly I'm wondering what hell Evan Peters will be put through, since they seem intent on making it worse for him every season. 

So far I'm feeling pretty confident that Bassett's character will have one of her breasts cut off. Probably by the clown. And he'll probably eat it. 

Jebus, I should not have watched that while I was home alone!  I don't know if I can handle it either, but at least my hubby is home at night and I can run screaming into the other room if I need to.  Also I think most of the opening montages tend to be creepier than the actual show.  I hope...

• Love 1

The opening isn't hitting any triggers for me at all. I don't have even the slightest fear of clowns, though, so that could be why.

I'm not complaining - I've never found the show all that scary and it doesn't have to be. I'm really digging the atmosphere we're seeing, and I have pretty high hopes for the season.

• Love 3

Yep.  Way back in June I posted about hoping for fun, campy horror  (tri-boob, yay!) and not the real horror that sideshow "freaks" had to endure.  Now Ryan Murphy says in his interview that we'll be flashing back to circus cruelty from the '20's.  Sigh.  I still feel sad about "The Elephant Man."  I may not be able to do this.

• Love 2

Yep.  Way back in June I posted about hoping for fun, campy horror  (tri-boob, yay!) and not the real horror that sideshow "freaks" had to endure.  Now Ryan Murphy says in his interview that we'll be flashing back to circus cruelty from the '20's.  Sigh.  I still feel sad about "The Elephant Man."  I may not be able to do this.

I'm wondering the same thing.  I really don't want to miss this season, but may not be able to handle it either.

And see, that is what makes me (slightly) hopeful that I'll actually be scared again at the show this season - the real atrocities ALWAYS are scarier to me than the supernatural stuff.  That's why the only thing that truly unsettled me in Coven was the Kathy Bates things.  

• Love 3

I just read an article where they interviewed Ryan Murphy and he said that there were hints in last night's episode and next week's episode about what next season is going to be about.  I am terrible at picking up clues like that so I was wondering if anyone picked up on any clues.

• Love 1

I just read an article where they interviewed Ryan Murphy and he said that there were hints in last night's episode and next week's episode about what next season is going to be about.  I am terrible at picking up clues like that so I was wondering if anyone picked up on any clues.

Prostitution seemed to be one theme.

Broadway? maybe? (because of the show at the end.)

The TV show Life on Mars, was about a man who travelled back in time, somehow.

Something to do with NASA, and/or space?

I'm awful at this, as well. I didn't see the preview for next week.

Prostitution seemed to be one theme.

Broadway? maybe? (because of the show at the end.)

The TV show Life on Mars, was about a man who travelled back in time, somehow.

Something to do with NASA, and/or space?

I'm awful at this, as well. I didn't see the preview for next week.

Those are actually pretty good speculations.  I did find it odd that she sang Life on Mars seeing how the show takes place in the 1950's and David Bowie did not write the song until around the early 1970's.  So you might be on to something there about space or time travel.  Maybe the great Phillip Glenister will show up in the cast next season.  Now that would be awesome.

• Love 2

I'm thinking futuristic, space, etc. for Season 5.

About Jessica/Elsa's legs could she be a victim of

the Dr. from season 2 who cut off that girl's legs? I watched that season sporadically, and don't remember, but was he the Nazi doctor, and she's German, so they could've crossed paths before.

• Love 2

My wild guess is that next season will be something along the lines of American Horror Story: Cult with a 70s setting. 

I agree.  The thing with the Bishop not wanting the freak show there made me think of tent revivals and how inherently creepy I've always found them.  I started thinking that maybe next season will delve deep into spirituality (although they've touched on that a bit with "Asylum").  Maybe deal with some "end times" type stuff.  

Either that or a creepy take on housewives and Tupperware parties.  A homicidal Tupperware lady who stores the bodies in plastic tubs that burp when you seal them.

• Love 4

There are so many cults to choose from so I think we'd get a sampling of the more prominent ones if this is indeed the direction they end up going next season. Jim Jones and the PT, maybe Children of God, Eternal Values, Heaven's Gate, etc. I can see Ryan Murphy playing with any of those and others. Things about space could be touched on depending on which cult/s RM ended up going with. 

• Love 1

My speculation for this season is that Bette and Dot are going to end up getting Elsa's tent and Elsa is going to be pissed. I'm thinking about the line the twins have about the rule being the bigger the tent, the bigger the star. Something like that. They're either going to take Elsa's tent or they're going to build a bigger one that makes Elsa's seem cozy in comparison. 

My other prediction is that Jimmy and Dot are forming some sort of attraction connection and that this will further divide the twins since Bette will feel like Dot is getting everything and that this is what will ultimately lead to Bette killing Dot.

• Love 2
My other prediction is that Jimmy and Dot are forming some sort of attraction connection and that this will further divide the twins since Bette will feel like Dot is getting everything and that this is what will ultimately lead to Bette killing Dot.

I agree with you about Jimmy and Dot but I don't understand how one twin could kill another and not die herself.  They share too many organs I would think.  Unless maybe it's some murder/suicide thing.  Either way it probably won't happen til the end of the season.  Sarah Pulson is just way too important to AHS to just let her go early.

• Love 1

Does anyone remember the 1977 horror movie The Sentinel?  It was severely criticized for using real "freaks" in the climax. Scared the shit out me when I first saw it and I would never watch the ending again.

That movie scared me to death!  I was pretty young when I watched and recently found it online.  It's really bad acting, but, yeah, the freakiness of it all is still there.  I'm amazed as no one ever knows what I'm talking about if I mention that movie.

• Love 3

That movie scared me to death!  I was pretty young when I watched and recently found it online.  It's really bad acting, but, yeah, the freakiness of it all is still there.  I'm amazed as no one ever knows what I'm talking about if I mention that movie.

I was a teenager when I saw it and had no idea what was coming.  I'm glad someone else has seen it- I was starting to think I was the only one. :)

• Love 1

I agree with you about Jimmy and Dot but I don't understand how one twin could kill another and not die herself.  They share too many organs I would think.  Unless maybe it's some murder/suicide thing.  Either way it probably won't happen til the end of the season.  Sarah Pulson is just way too important to AHS to just let her go early.

I guess it's possible that Bette could somehow render Dot inoperable-- she doesn't need Dot's prefrontal lobe for the shared organs.

Also, there is something weird going on in the intro animation that makes me suspect that story arc will take a sharp turn.

This is my far out prediction for Twisty and Dandy: Dandy kills the picnic girl, Twisty kills Dandy, Mom - seeing this - kills Twisty, rescuing orphan kid to be the new Dandy.

I like this....according to the IMDB (from what I remember) the actor that plays Dandy, Finn I believe, & Frances Conroy are suppose to be in all 13 episodes so whatever happens wont happen until the very end.

My theory is that Dandy is still pissed Jimmy turned him down to join the freak show so he seeks his revenge by killing each freak off episode by episode.  I specifically remember in the previews for the up coming season that our sweet Ma Petite meets her demise sooooo.....every freak might?  Well we know what happens to Pepper =(

Edited by Dirtybubble