Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E03: So It Goes

FormerMod-a1
  • Start Topic

When an NCIS case reveals a connection to Ducky's estranged childhood best friend, he and Special Agent Bishop travel to London for interviews with family and co-workers of his friend. While there, Ducky finds himself reminiscing about the choices he made in his past and the subsequent impact they had on his adult life.

I was skeptical that anyone could pull off a young Ducky but Adam Campbell pulled it off....though I did keep seeing Ilya not Ducky.  One of the best episodes in a very long time.

• Love 5

Really liked this episode.  David McCallum is as sexy now as when I had a 5th grade crush on him when he was on U.N.C.L.E.  Great music in the flashbacks.  I hope Ducky finds some romance in his life.  And I loved the turtleneck.

• Love 4

This was such an entertaining episode, loved the flashbacks...I'll never look at Ducky the same way again.  The actor playing the young version did a great job, and I could happily watch more than just one episode like this.

• Love 7

Young Ducky was almost as pretty as young David McCallum. Young Ducky's friend's wife looked way more like young Samantha Eggar than young Alice Krige. Alice Krige actually looks uncannily like young Alice Krige. She must have the luckiest genes in history or a portrait in an attic somewhere.

I was amused that Tony and Bishop both dinged McGee for being obsessively overprotective because he was still suspicious of ranger guy after he saw the detailed and completely illegal background check they ran before giving their approval. I did, though, think Bishop claiming to know how foot size relates to penis size was a serious clunker. That was was more a Kate or Ziva I'm one of the guys and a sexual force to be reckoned with comment, and one of the few things I like about Bishop is that she doesn't do that.

I did, though, think Bishop claiming to know how foot size relates to penis size was a serious clunker. That was was more a Kate or Ziva I'm one of the guys and a sexual force to be reckoned with comment, and one of the few things I like about Bishop is that she doesn't do that.

Unless the sound cut out and I missed it, I don't think that's what she was doing with it. I thought she was going with "big shoes" (and it seemed Tony turned it sexual with big hands as it faded out).

I really enjoyed this episode. I wonder if this is an exit path for Ducky. Reconnect with an old friend, move back to England, available on video chat.

• Love 1

What a great episode. All the flashback actors were great and I cried at the end. Has Ducky finally found his happy ending? I also wasn't expecting the assistant to be behind the Albanian ring. Just a fantastic episode, minus Abby being annoying and goading McGee into trying to make him jealous? I thought we were past that.

• Love 1

Unless the sound cut out and I missed it, I don't think that's what she was doing with it. I thought she was going with "big shoes" (and it seemed Tony turned it sexual with big hands as it faded out).

The exchange was

McGee: Shoe size. That's a myth.

Bishop: No, it isn't.

Tony: Size 12.

Sounds like she was to me. MMV

Edited by Julia

Yeah, I also thought the writers were still thinking Cote was still there and wrote that line for Ziva to deliver.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed this episode.  Loved the flashbacks (and the associated music).  I thought that actor was a great young Ducky. 

And I thought that final scene between Ducky and Margaret was so well done.  Just amazing acting on both parts and very well written.  That scene in itself would easily make me give this episode a thumb's up.  Nicely done.

• Love 4

I also really liked the scene in the warehouse when the bad guy started running.  Gibbs and Tony just stood there looking at amused and McGee got to be the badass with the gun.

I think the McGee and Abby interplay about other partners will always be part of their relationship.  I know IRL I have friends like that.

• Love 2

Loved this episode.  The young, blonde, British actor playing young Ducky did an outstanding job.  I also enjoyed the mysterious deaths of the Naval officers to promote the corrupt ones.  Interesting plot!

The only thing I thought was odd was when they were talking about going to the war, I kept mentally making Ducky older and sending him to WWII.

The only thing I thought was odd was when they were talking about going to the war, I kept mentally making Ducky older and sending him to WWII.

Me too. I think maybe because pre-TV Duckie was in The Great Escape.

• Love 3

I missed the episode last night because I wasn't home (plan to watch on CBS.com tonight) but all this talk about young Ducky and a younger David McCallum reminds me of one of my favorite lines from NCIS of all time.  I'll paraphrase but it's when someone (Abby, maybe?) asks Gibbs what Ducky looked like as a young man and he replies with Ilya Kuryakin.

• Love 9

I missed the episode last night because I wasn't home (plan to watch on CBS.com tonight) but all this talk about young Ducky and a younger David McCallum reminds me of one of my favorite lines from NCIS of all time.  I'll paraphrase but it's when someone (Abby, maybe?) asks Gibbs what Ducky looked like as a young man and he replies with Ilya Kuryakin.

That was a fantastic line, and the smile on Mark Harmon's face when he delivered it sold it even more.  If I remember correctly it was Kate that asked, but I'm not certain.  I'll have to go back and check. 

Edited by Slider
  • Love 4

Loved last night's episode.  Loved it.  The actor playing young Ducky not only eerily resembled David McC, but he copied his mannerisms very well too.  I didn't watch The Man From U.N.C.L.E., back in the day, but it sounds like I might have to seek out the reruns on Netflix or something!

• Love 1

It was Abby who asked and that is my favorite line of all times!  When he said that, I almost fell in the floor laughing.  Guess I "got it" because I loved The Man from U.N.C.L.E and was madly in love with David McCallum back then.

• Love 1

I'm surprised all the English actors kept straight faces during their dialogue it was so bad. Also could they decide what nationality Ducky is, they said he's Scottish like David McCallum previously, now he's a Londoner?

I liked the plot, I liked that they obviously remembered Bishop couldn't flash her gun about, loved the Abby/McGee part too.

I just checked - David McCallum was born in Scotland and is clearly a very proud Scot, but grew up in London from age 10. So actually this background seems pretty similar to his own.

I loved this episode. I used to watch repeats of The Man From Uncle after school when I was little and just adored it. So young Ducky in his polo neck and his friend looking a bit like Napoleon Solo was fantastic for me. And the romance was quiet and perfect and a little bit 'Love in the Time of Cholera'. I really hope they continue with it, because finally here is a ship on this show I would support.

I was relieved that 'London' was much better than their other fake international outings. It could have been much worse. And the Doctor Who line was nice.

What was the war they kept mentioning? If Ducky was in the British armed forces, he couldn't have been in Vietnam. I had thought maybe he was in the US forces since his mother was American, but this episode made it seem not to be the case. Unless he really was a spy!

Edited by Lebanna
  • Love 1

That was top five NCIS episodes in my book. Please, NCIS, do not leave it there with Ducky and Maggie.

Those flashbacks were awesome. Hard to imagine Ducky looking like that but Mr DVD pulled up a pic from Man from UNCLE and that guy was just about spitting image.

So far I'm really liking S12. S11 was pretty good too. High hopes that we've returned to the NCIS that got us into NCIS.

Forgot to mention awesome lines:

Bishop: I just remembered I haven't seen Big Ben yet! (scuttles away while Ducky and Maggie gaze soulfully at each other after their hands accidentally touch)

Jimmy: What happened to the frog that parked illegally? (snicker)

Seriously, show, can we have a happy ending for D&M? PLEASE?!

Edited by JessDVD
  • Love 3

I admit I can be slow on certain things.  When rewatching the episode, it finally dawned on me about Ducky's name.  Donald Mallard --Donald Duck. (I guess I had never realized what Ducky's first name was). Paying homage to Donald Duck?

Seriously, show, can we have a happy ending for D&M? PLEASE?!

I took that ending to be happy.  (Of course, that's because I'm totally fanwanking that Ducky and Maggie are going to begin a long-distance relationship a la Delilah and McGee.  Ducky will visit Maggie and vice versa.)

Did it strike anyone else that Maggie had red hair?  Younger Maggie's hair seemed to have a lot of brown in it as well, but maybe that was the lighting?  Older Maggie's hair was definitely red.

I know David probably would not want such a workload, but I would totally watch this as a series or even as a limited run series (like Hostages).  Adam Campbell was a fantastic Young Ducky, and British period pieces are very hot right now.  The music was also fabulous. (Probably cost the show some bucks, but it was worth it, IMO.)  I'd love to see more of Young Ducky juxtaposed with Older Ducky, and not just as it relates to Maggie.

My one quibble is that Ducky never got to speak with Angus in the present.  They were obviously good friends, and however Angus might still be processing what transpired in the past with Ducky, I found myself wanting the two men to have a moment to say whatever each one felt needed to be said.  Angus might still have been hurt by what happened, but I think we would have also seen some fondness for his old friend.

Edited by Ohmo
  • Love 2

ha.... yes, I am totally fanwanking the same but would appreciate getting to see some it on the screen since NCIS has had a horrid history with people ever being in decent relationships. McGee and Delilah is a good start, so maybe we'll get lucky here too.

I agree it would have been nice to see Ducky and Angus meet up, and I TOTALLY agree that a Young Ducky spin-off would be awesome. If anyone from CBS reads these boards, please take note!

Agreeing with everyone, loved the ep and the guy who played young Ducky. Just love Ducky full stop and the scene with Palmer and the joke was wonderful. I loved the fact that Bishop looked down after Tony mentioned his shoe size , very funny but i don't think it was a Ziva line or anything, it just seemed like a normal convo to me. And i enjoyed seeing Tony out in the field with Gibbs even though we have only had 2 previous eps, it's seems like a long time since it was just them two.

• Love 1

I was amused that Tony and Bishop both dinged McGee for being obsessively overprotective because he was still suspicious of ranger guy after he saw the detailed and completely illegal background check they ran before giving their approval. I did, though, think Bishop claiming to know how foot size relates to penis size was a serious clunker. That was was more a Kate or Ziva I'm one of the guys and a sexual force to be reckoned with comment, and one of the few things I like about Bishop is that she doesn't do that.

IIRC, they said that everything they found was through social media and not through NCIS sources, so while it might have been a bit over the top and/or obsessive, it wasn't using law enforcement resources, so not illegal.

Quick question:  Did Ducky let the bad guy die or did he save him?  I thought he died but I'm not sure.

I don't think they said, My guess is that Ducky would have saved him once he was sure the guy was incapacitated enough that he wouldn't pose a threat.

I agree it would have been nice to see Ducky and Angus meet up, and I TOTALLY agree that a Young Ducky spin-off would be awesome. If anyone from CBS reads these boards, please take note!

They need to so something like the Young Indiana Jones adventures with Ducky narrating his adventures to Palmer in the morgue.

• Love 2

I could watch an entire series of just Ducky stabbing bad guys and then coldly talking them into giving up their secrets before they bled to death in front of him.

Cold murderous Ducky was so fun to watch.

I may be a bit disturbed, though ;)

• Love 4

Did it strike anyone else that Maggie had red hair?  Younger Maggie's hair seemed to have a lot of brown in it as well, but maybe that was the lighting?  Older Maggie's hair was definitely red.

Since her hair would likely be quite grey, I suspect she went with redder hair dye

I just finished watching this ep--clearing off my dvr, but I am not going to delete this one just yet, because it is definitely worthy of at least one rewatch.

I liked the DC stuff with the guys almost as much as Ducky'storyline. Seeing McGee be the badass with the gun reminds me exactly why I am loving this show like I haven't in the last several years of the Ziva era, because the writers are remembering that ALL of the characters deserve some decent facetime.

But, oh, the Ducky stuff!! So, so good. They really nailed the whole '60s vibe in not just the clothes and soundtrack, but also the camerawork. The way they filmed the dancing at the farewell party was right out of To Sir with Love.

The only thing I didn't go along with was the casting of Alice Krige. I love her and thought she had fantastic chemistry with David, but she is 21 years younger than him. Not quite believable as his contemporary.

• Love 1

she had fantastic chemistry with David, but she is 21 years younger than him. Not quite believable as his contemporary.

This is just part of a long standing Hollywood tradition of devaluing actresses after they get "old" or LOOK "old".

We are conditioned by the ages of actresses playing certain types of roles to believe that a woman DM's age actually looks like that. A woman 15-20 years younger than Kridge would play someone Kridge's age.

If they'd cast someone DM's age, people would think she was "too old" for the part (and many would definitely also think she was not "attractive", and be turned off by any hint of romance) Maggie Smith is actually YOUNGER than McCallum, but if they'd cast someone like her, people would have thought she was supposed to be his elderly aunt or something.

60 year old Kridge was also too young to play the matriarch on Tyrant. (Her younger son on that show has to be 40'ish if he left the country 20 years earlier. Would a teenage Brit actually be married to a Middle Eastern prince?)

It's plain old Hollywood sexism.

• Love 3

This is just part of a long standing Hollywood tradition of devaluing actresses after they get "old" or LOOK "old".

We are conditioned by the ages of actresses playing certain types of roles to believe that a woman DM's age actually looks like that. A woman 15-20 years younger than Kridge would play someone Kridge's age.

Sad but true. Clint Eastwood said in interviews that he was asked to replace Meryl Streep in Bridges of Madison County because she was too old for the part, even though she was the same age as her character in the book and he was over twenty years older than his.

I thought they looked well together, maybe because Duckie's aged so well and Alice Krige, thank god, actually allowed herself to age without intervention and looks like a beautiful older woman. Duckie's actual mom, though, was practically age appropriate. She was the awesome Nina Foch, who played the rich socialite who chased Gene Kelly in An American in Paris, and she was ten years older than David McCallum. Since there probably aren't a lot of hundred year old actresses still doing broad comedy, I thought it was a pretty good choice ;)

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

You are absolutely right--Angela Lansbury played the mother in The Manchurian Camdidate, and she was only three years older than the actor playing her son.

Speaking of Ducky's mum, I loved her phone call in the flashback, especially with the corgi reference! They had lots of great lines in the script, not just about the bow ties, but with him not wanting to be a heart surgeon because he did not want to do any more dissections.

But, oh, the Ducky stuff!! So, so good. They really nailed the whole '60s vibe in not just the clothes and soundtrack, but also the camerawork. The way they filmed the dancing at the farewell party was right out of To Sir with Love.

Yes, I thought the same thing while watching!  The school dance is one of my favorite scenes in 'To Sir With Love.'

It just occurred to me that, if Ducky was just getting out of med school in 1969, he must be, what, around 71? IOW, ten years younger than David is. That, at least, pins down his age for the first time on this show, I believe.

I just finished watching this ep--clearing off my dvr, but I am not going to delete this one just yet, because it is definitely worthy of at least one rewatch.

I liked the DC stuff with the guys almost as much as Ducky'storyline. Seeing McGee be the badass with the gun reminds me exactly why I am loving this show like I haven't in the last several years of the Ziva era, because the writers are remembering that ALL of the characters deserve some decent facetime.

The only thing I didn't go along with was the casting of Alice Krige. I love her and thought she had fantastic chemistry with David, but she is 21 years younger than him. Not quite believable as his contemporary.

I am new to the show - in the last year have probably watched 250 of the 281 eps. And until I read this post (and thought "wha?") it never occurred to me that Ducky was more than 65 years old. Then I IMBD'd it and HOLY SHIT! 81!!! wow.