Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E02: Puzzle With A Piece Missing

• Start Topic

Kind of.  She was diagnosed with spina bifida when she came over from Africa.  She had surgery at GSM.  According to the spina bifida website, the condition is permanent and the surgery is simply to close the spine to prevent infection.  The child will need a wheelchair, crutches, etc for life.  Zola is just fine, thanks to the miracle surgery she got at GSM.

I have Spina Bifida and my legs are just fine. The hole was close to my neck and it affects my right arm and my ability to hold my head up for longer than a couple minutes at a time. There are several kinds of Spina Bifida.

• Love 1

I dislike Ameila so much (is that She-Shepard's name?).  I dislike the character and the actress.  I gave up on PP well before she joined so I don't have any carry over of good or bad will from there.  Just really wish she was gone.

I didn't think it was possible to loathe a character as much as I loathe April and Jo. But Amelia has taken the title - I detest the actress too!

I couldn't understand why they made CS a regular so quickly... Now it's obvious that she's taking over the "smartass" half of Cristina's character. (Can't you just hear Cristina talking about wanting to have sex to the point of a stroke?)

I guess Maggie is taking over the "Cardio Queen" half. I don't dislike her (anyone who tells Meredith off is my new BFF), but I wish the writers would come up with an original idea once in a while.

• Love 2

I thought Maggie was appropriately modest and low-key about locating the genome when everyone pooh-poohed the possibility because Yang had already tried.  I even understood the explanation.  And it makes sense that the hospital gravevine would pass along the inaccurate perception that "Maggie did what Cristina couldn't."

I totally applaud the addition of someone to this hospital staff who is not a drama queen!  She cried in private, she apologized like a big girl, she took a deep breath and said, "Yes, sir" when she wanted to argue, she stood up for herself, she stepped out instead of stepping in, she didn't throw one single tantrum. . .when have we ever seen the likes of this before?

I predict Amelia will blurt out the baby daddy news about Richard.  That one's a born blurter.

Paging Dr. Davis, Dr. Geena Davis. . .

• Love 6

Did Meredith become an attending this season? Fellowship is two years, right? I guess that would make sense seeing as it's been two seasons since her residency ended. 

Mer has been an attending since the start of season 9.  She didn't do a fellowship.  Neither did Bailey.  However, I'm almost positive that Richard mentioned that he did a fellowship when he was reminiscing to Bailey in the season 2 finale scene when Bailey informed him that Denny died.  I don't know if general surgeons do fellowships in real life, so I can't say which is the more realistic scenario.

I couldn't understand why they made CS a regular so quickly... Now it's obvious that she's taking over the "smartass" half of Cristina's character. (Can't you just hear Cristina talking about wanting to have sex to the point of a stroke?)

They often had similar lines. I always noticed it when I was watching Grey's and Private Practice back to back.

I didn't mind Maggie but there was too much of her -- and Jo. More interested in the relationship between Maggie and Richard once she finds out that he is her father than the one between Maggie and Meredith.

• Love 1

I haven't watched in years, but I tuned in last season to see Christina's final episode and just when I was getting sucked back in, they threw in the Maggie character. At which point, they lost me again, because GAH! The total disregard for timeline continuity was the reason I quit this show in the first place. The only reason I watched tonight's was because my friend guested as one of the patients, so I felt great satisfaction when Meredith validated my ranting by pointing out that she would have remembered her mother having another child when Mere was FIVE. Validated and never need to watch again (until another friend lands a role).

• Love 1

It sure seems like history was being rewritten when Amelia mentioned how she could never relate to her siblings and it wasn't until she met Meredith that she felt a true kinship (or something like that).  On Private Practice, Amelia and Addison had been best friends after they had become sister-in-laws and when they did a cross over episode, Amelia barely knew Meredith when she visited Seattle.  At least that is how I remembered it.

• Love 3

It sure seems like history was being rewritten when Amelia mentioned how she could never relate to her siblings and it wasn't until she met Meredith that she felt a true kinship (or something like that).  On Private Practice, Amelia and Addison had been best friends after they had become sister-in-laws and when they did a cross over episode, Amelia barely knew Meredith when she visited Seattle.  At least that is how I remembered it.

Yeah it was said a few times on PP that Addison and Amelia were incredibly close, and that Amelia got on with Addison better than she got on with any of her sisters. 

I'm still hoping for a little update on how Addison is, or at least how Henry is, via Amelia at some point.

• Love 1
I totally applaud the addition of someone to this hospital staff who is not a drama queen!  She cried in private, she apologized like a big girl, she took a deep breath and said, "Yes, sir" when she wanted to argue, she stood up for herself, she stepped out instead of stepping in, she didn't throw one single tantrum. . .when have we ever seen the likes of this before?

I can see where you come from, but it was too much Maggie in too little time for my taste. She came off pretty Mary-Sue-ish as a result, like the show forced me to like her. But subtelty has never been Grey's forte... I don't "hate" her, but I hope her introduction will not be to the detriment of the other characters. It always pisses me off when a new character overshadows the "originals", like they are the writers' shiny new toy they play with while the others are stuck in the cupboard.

Now, since she's there, I guess we have to deal with her. I'm more interested with her relationship with Richard than Mer, it'll feel less like a re-hash of Lexie's SL.

So after last week angsty ending, Mer and Derek's issues are swept under the rug so we can concentrate on Maggie. Bleh.

Callie and Arizona...pfff....same old, same old.

I understand why Alex didn't tell anything to his current boss, after all, nothing was sure about his place on the board, so he was cautious not burning his bridges too soon. It is just like when you want to change jobs: better to find a new position before you quit, otherwise you risk ending up unemployed. I hope he'll be the one to get the seat on the board, first because Bailey irks me lately, and second because it is time something good comes his way (beyond Jo, who I still can't manage to like). It is actually one of the SL I'm interested about.

• Love 1

I miss Lexie.

I'll keep watching, because I almost always do, but I really hate the way the writers have foisted on us a stalker for a sister. The actress gives the character some charm and competence, but that doesn't negate the insane way Maggie went about meeting her sister. She couldn't try a tactful email first?? A phone call, an intermediary, a letter? My sympathies are with Meredith on this one.

And, yeah, the patient wanted to die, and she should have been allowed to. But that scene was creepy, imo. This new character creeps me out, altogether. Yeah, I know they'll paper over her flaws, and they'll make Meredith eat crow she doesn't deserve to have to eat.  And I know that I won't stop watching. But I protest. I don't like this turn of events any more than Meredith does! Leave Meredith alone, Maggie, and move on to hating Richard, 'cause that's gonna happen, too.

• Love 3

And, yeah, the patient wanted to die, and she should have been allowed to. But that scene was creepy, imo. This new character creeps me out, altogether. Yeah, I know they'll paper over her flaws, and they'll make Meredith eat crow she doesn't deserve to have to eat.  And I know that I won't stop watching. But I protest. I don't like this turn of events any more than Meredith does! Leave Meredith alone, Maggie, and move on to hating Richard, 'cause that's gonna happen, too.\

I feel ya! Especially the part about Meredith being made to eat crow. We know it's coming.

I haven't watched this show in ... 2 years? maybe? I didn't watch last year at all even though I knew Sandra Oh was leaving. I figured --- being Grey's Anatomy -- they would probably kill her in some horrible way and I just wasn't interested in seeing that. My problem began when characters like April and Jo and the rest of the interns had more screen time than characters like Meredith Grey. IMO she is the Grey in Grey's Anatomy. I accept no substitutions.

...And this ep is an example of why I stopped watching. Who the hell is this Maggie? Another long lost sister for Meredith? Seriously? Oy! And I am supposed to care so much about this new character that an entire episode is devoted to her point of view? say what? I kept checking to see if I was indeed watching Grey's.

Oh and the ambush at the end ---"Hey! I'm Ellis Grey's daughter too! Love me love me love me!"  Um yeah. I am on Meredith's side here. This chick came out of nowhere and expects Mere to "feel" sisterly love or some shit. No. Just NO!

In my secret little heart I always wanted it to come out that Meredith was really Richard's daughter and not Thatcher's. Oh well.

• Love 2

My problem began when characters like April and Jo and the rest of the interns had more screen time than characters like Meredith Grey.

I'm with you when it comes to the interns but I definetly don't think April has gotten sufficient screentime this past season. Her relationship with Jackson was a major storyline last season but I found the actual screentime given to either of them was at a minimum.

I'm okay with Maggie though her circumstances are too contrived and far-fetched for my taste. Nevertheless, I welcome the injection of a new focal point. Characters do lose appeal with time or grow stale with time.

This show is a soap opera and like long-running soaps, new characters are flushed in and out, much to the chagrin of many of the viewers . The fact is, the show has captured an audience and the chances are good that most long-term viewers won't quit watching. It's new viewership that they're hoping to get, younger viewers. And what better way than bringing in interns for some new blood?

I hope they bring in a crop of more interesting interns, however.

• Love 1

I'm with you when it comes to the interns but I definetly don't think April has gotten sufficient screentime this past season. Her relationship with Jackson was a major storyline last season but I found the actual screentime given to either of them was at a minimum.

I agree with you, April has never gotten more screen time than Meredith, not even at her own wedding s/l. Majority of the time she get 30 second to two minutes of screentime. lol.  

Edited by gator12

I'm just catching up, so I'm late to the comment party for the episode.  I'm not sure what else I can say about this episode, but I decided that I'm just going to go along for the ride for the remainder of the series, since I know that if the original cast members are gradually leaving the show for whatever reason, new characters have to take their places.  I like Maggie okay so far.

I did love the return  of 'original' Bailey.  I hope she's here to stay.  I loved her few scenes.  (paraphrasing, I think)  'I'm sorry. They caught me, so I threw you under the bus'.

Edited by BooksRule