Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Test: Have You Taken It?

Ffiferoo
  • Start Topic

Abstract, I hope there's room on the show for both you and Joe the good-looking firefighter. Because... hello? Good-looking firefighter! 

Did you win the mock game? Are you allowed to say?

• Love 2

It was just a demo game without score keeping, so I'm not sure. I think I answered the most questions in my group of 3, though. I wasn't nervous as long as the buzzer was in my hand. It was like going back 20+ years and being the confident smart kid in high school again.

You should all take the online test and go to an audition if you get the chance. It was a lot of fun. Not easy if you have introvert tendencies, though. Timidity is discouraged, to put it mildly.

• Love 2

Abstract, where was your audition?  I went to Kansas City and had the 11:30am slot on Tuesday.

Sad to say, you will NOT be seeing me on tv.  I stunk up the joint on the written test.  It was like a nightmare!  The online test was like it was written for me (41 out of 50 correct answers).  The in-person written test was like someone knew exactly what I didn't know and zoomed in on those topics.

Well, it was fun to try, and I can now say I'm a three-time in-person audition loser. ;-)  They did say that over 70,000 people took the online test, 3000 (I think) were asked to audition in person, and 400 will appear on the show.

We aren't allowed to say what questions were on the test, but one tidbit was that Alex recently signed a two-year contract.

And we got Jeopardy pens and earbuds as lovely parting gifts.  I was too tired to do anything but drive back to my mom's house in Western Illinois after the test, but Kansas City looks like a fun city to be a tourist in.  I particularly would like to tour the Negro League Baseball Museum.  So if nothing else, I've got another city for my bucket list.

My prediction is that Jane, a 30-something tall cute former lawyer now do-gooder, makes it on the next season.  They begin filming in late August.

• Love 1

Sorry things didn't go better. That written-test experience sounds like it came out of a classic dream so many of us have. Are you sure you weren't dreaming?

400 people scheduled to be on the show? By my math, at 3 people per show (not even considering returning champs), that's over 130 shows. How long are these contestants stockpiled?

Not sure, peeayebee.  They did say we are in the contestant pool for 18 months starting that day.  So the next time I'm eligible to take a test is December 31, 2016.

It was very much a nightmare - a humbling one!  After they graded the tests, they called us to the front for a simulated game, and my suspicion -- based on how well Jane, my tablemate, had done (four of us talked about answers during the break while they were grading the tests) -- is that they called us to the front based on highest test scores first.  The questions during the interview portion were longer, they asked people to speak up and smile.  By the time I was called -- second from last in the entire room! -- the interview portion was short, the game was shorter, and no prompts to smile or project our voices.  So I think I'll be a very enthusiastic viewer, but not a contestant.  At least this time around.

I was in Atlanta. They told us nothing about how many people had been chosen to audition or how many would be invited to the show. The enthusiasm from the show people did not wane during the entire process. I was in the last group called up, and there was no difference in how we were treated vs. the earlier people.

• Love 1
(edited)

Keep trying, Chicago-you sound like the kind of fun person I'd love to see on the show!  (And you're also from my neck-of-the-woods--I'm in the western 'burbs.)

Edited by just prin
  • Love 1
(edited)

Hi, I auditioned with ChicagoCita in Kansas City. :) *waves hi* 

You definitely stood out to me - not just because we chatted while they graded the tests - but Maggie seemed to really like you, and your story was funny!

And now I'm regretting saying "please" after calling a category. They never told us not to - hope it doesn't disqualify me! :P

I'm not sure the order meant anything at all. Several of the groups seemed arranged so that they'd have two guys and one gal in the middle.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by J-Wife
  • Love 3

There is a lot of speculation that when you are called to play in the mock game has some bearing on: 1) how well you did on the test and 2) the likelihood you will get the call.  The common theory is if you are called first, it's good and last is bad.  I don't buy it.  I knew more than 45 of those questions, and I was somewhere in the middle.  I got "The Call" as did another girl who was in the same mock game as me.  

• Love 2

I've heard some speculate that it's just the order the producers have their list of auditioners, either the order in which our names were "drawn" for the audition or the order in which we confirmed our attendance. One guy said that he was a late addition to that session, after they allowed him to switch cities or something, and he was the last called up. He said he got the impression his name was "written in crayon" at the bottom.

Here's something I've been wondering about contestant confidentiality. If someone wins multiple days and has to travel more than once to tapings, how do they explain that to their family and at work without giving away that they're winning?

I just took the in person test in Florida and I'm also curious about the order that contests are called. I was in the second group, and I'm pretty sure I didn't ace the test. They say that 35/50 is considered "passing", and I probably got that score exactly. Does anyone else who made it onto the show remember having a score in that range? Or did you all get 45+ correct? 

And also, does anyone have an idea as to whether your test score affects being a contestant vs alternate if you get the call?

I went to an open audition in Dayton 20+ yrs ago. We had the 50 question quiz to fill out and you had to get 45 right to go to the next round.....I got 44..;-(.  I will never forget what Boxing Day is.

Tried the online test a couple of times and did ok but not good enough.....yet.

• Love 1

Answer: yes, 4 times a bridesmaid, never a bride.  I think I suffer from "too bland and boring in the anecdote department" - seriously, one year my group was on fire, and then just my luck, some grandmotherly type self-deprecatingly said she must be "the most boring person who's ever been in the contestant pool", so I couldn't even use that tactic.  It got so bad that the last time the contestant coordinator said she recognized me and I frankly didn't know what to say, unsure whether or not it would do more harm or good to say airily "well, that would be because I've paraded past you since it was in-persons in the Milford Plaza.  You haven't bitten the lure for the past decade", so I just smiled mysteriously and said nothing (either way, whichever way I go would traditionally be the wrong tack to take).  

I keep trying to convince my father to try out for Sports Jeopardy though.  He decimates those "sports trivia" books, and probably has the anecdote area covered also, as he's actually played myriads of sports over the years, lol.

It's almost time to find out how much I don't know! Anyone else (re-)taking the test next month?

I'm going to try this time. The last time I tried, my PC wasn't compatible with their website (running Windows XP). I have a new Windows 10 laptop, so I can be humiliated by my vast lack of knowledge.

• Love 1

I signed up!  I don't have a shot in hell of getting on, but it's fun :)  I tried out the practice test and only got about 50%.  Some of the questions had things that I really don't care that I don't know.

• Love 1

I took it yesterday too. I knew the answers on a couple that I just blanked on. Then there were some I had no idea about. I wish I knew how I did. Maybe I should have had my sister jot down the question so I could look it up later.

Actually, there was one question I took a WAG on, then afterwards I started to google it and before I could finish typing, the top google choice was what I was looking for, which made me think that other people who had taken the test had googled that.

• Love 1

I waited all day to take the test, signed in and got the countdown timer. When it reached 45 seconds an error box popped up with an error code saying the test data failed to load and that I should contact customer service. Yeah, like that would do any good.

Edit: It took me a good 10 minutes to locate an email address for the mythical "customer service". We'll see what they say. I'm gonna guess they'll let me take it tomorrow at the 11 PM opportunity. And the same thing will happen again LOL

Edited by Tabasco Cat

I took the sample test with no intention of taking the real test. I'm more on the Wheel of Fortune or Pice is Right scale. I know my limits and I'm not afraid to admit it. I answered a few of the questions correctly which made me happy. First thing, hats off to anyone passing the test on a computer. It's seems so hard to read the question, type in an answer and do it all in the time allotted. Granted, the average Jeopardy contestant is super smart and already has the answer but to actually type it in is really impressive. Good luck to all of you smart people out there.

• Love 1

I took the sample test with no intention of taking the real test. I'm more on the Wheel of Fortune or Pice is Right scale. I know my limits and I'm not afraid to admit it. I answered a few of the questions correctly which made me happy. First thing, hats off to anyone passing the test on a computer. It's seems so hard to read the question, type in an answer and do it all in the time allotted. Granted, the average Jeopardy contestant is super smart and already has the answer but to actually type it in is really impressive. Good luck to all of you smart people out there.

People on Wheel of Fortune have a better chance of making some real cash anyways :)  All they have to do is answer one puzzle and they win at least as much as a third place contestant on Jeopardy.  (I think the minimum is $1,000 on Wheel of Fortune - it's been awhile since I've watched.)

I just generally like trivia, so that's why I take the test.  I know I don't have a shot, but if magically everything was in my wheel house, I'd consider an in-person audition.  I'd probably show up with purple hair and have my tattoos showing, just to see the reaction.

• Love 2

I took it yesterday (Wednesday.)  Per the recaps on another board, I got 45 out of 50.

It's been 8 years since I've had an audition -- I'm due, doggone it!  (And just in case any of TPTB are reading this...since 2008 I've lost about 80 lb., gotten a nice haircut, and had my teeth fixed.  So maybe I'm a little more telegenic?!) ;-)

I took it yesterday (Wednesday.)  Per the recaps on another board, I got 45 out of 50.

It's been 8 years since I've had an audition -- I'm due, doggone it!  (And just in case any of TPTB are reading this...since 2008 I've lost about 80 lb., gotten a nice haircut, and had my teeth fixed.  So maybe I'm a little more telegenic?!) ;-)

• Love 1

Took the test Tuesday.  I think I did okay--I'm not going to jinx myself by looking at the answers, if for no other reason than I don't know if I'll remember what I answered!  I've taken the test each of the last three years.  First year, I thought I did pretty good, but no dice.  Last year I knew I did terribly.  This year?  Well...we'll see.

I think I did okay on the test but I should have done some rudimentary research or skimming of the boards first. Of COURSE there was an Upton Sinclair question I didn't know. But there seemed to be more pop culture than what was on the practice test, and that is my best scope of knowledge. I took the Thursday test.