Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Test: Have You Taken It?

Ffiferoo
  • Start Topic

I looked at the Tuesday + Weds tests in preparation for taking it Thursday.  I've been taking it for years and those were the easiest ones I'd ever seen, I was psyched for Thursday.  Then when it came I choked, got 30 I think.  My magic number is now 2017.

I did notice something which those of you who are on JBoard might want to bring up over there (I'm not registered there and don't have time to add another forum right now).  People were bitching and moaning about their new website.  I didn't have registration trouble.  My wife and I both take the same test on our own computers every year.  In years past we'd been in different rooms, but this time we were in the same one.  This year, start times between the two were staggered by about two minutes. If I was interested in cheating (which I was not), we would have had almost two minutes to discuss each question before the lagging screen had to answer.

I'd steals ome from The Most Interesting Man in the world ads. "Well, you know, Alex, I did once parallel park a train."

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1

A friend of mine recently got the word that she's on the show.  So exciting!  Anyone have any idea about how long between taping and airing?  Just regular shows--I'll do the math if there are any tournaments in between.

That's exciting for her! Let us know how she does and what she wants to share about her experience.

I'm so jealous that she has time to prepare her anecdotes -- in Olden Tymes, taking the test in person, they told you you passed the test and immediately gave you paperwork that included three anecdotes. I had nothing! And at least one of my things got disqualified for being too controversial. 

I'm so jealous that she has time to prepare her anecdotes -- in Olden Tymes, taking the test in person, they told you you passed the test and immediately gave you paperwork that included three anecdotes. I had nothing! And at least one of my things got disqualified for being too controversial. 

About five years ago--the last time my husband was invited for an in-person audition after passing the online test--you had to come to the audition with your stories prepared.

I wanted to say something about the place I worked, but it was an advocacy organization and they wouldn't get into it. (I was right out of college, and had had literally no interesting life experiences yet! So I am very sympathetic toward the people with terrible "stories.")

A friend of mine recently got the word that she's on the show.  So exciting!  Anyone have any idea about how long between taping and airing?  Just regular shows--I'll do the math if there are any tournaments in between.

It was around three months back in 2010; I taped in late February and the show was aired mid-June. It may be less nowadays, though, since a recent show mentioned the death of David Bowie.

Congratulations! Go with your first instinct re the questions, be quick on the buzzer when you play against other players and most of all try to relax and enjoy the experience. You've made it to a place many people only dream of. Good Luck!

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I just got an email inviting me to audition in July.  Can anyone tell me what to expect?  Thanks.

Congrats! There's an in-person test (on paper last I heard) and a mock game. There's a thread here that may or may not be helpful. My husband's been in the pool a couple of times. You'll get a Jeopardy pen. They're kind of crappy as pens go but neat nevertheless.

2 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

I just got an email inviting me to audition in July.  Can anyone tell me what to expect?  Thanks.

I auditioned last summer (no call from Hollywood yet, darn it!).  There's a form to fill out - do it before you get there.  And you may want to scout the location before your scheduled time, so you know where you are going. You'll get your picture taken -- smile!  The pre-test is on paper, but the answers are displayed on a screen just like the show, and you don't have to write the questions in the form of a question. Then you will be called up, three at a time, in random order, to chat a bit and play a very short version of the game.  Be cheery, bubbly, outgoing. Speak up! There is no mic, so you need to project your voice.  You are being recorded, and that recording appears to be a large part of their decision process.  I got both a Jeopardy! pen (great for impressing folks!) and a really crappy set of ear buds in a tiny, zippered Jeopardy! blue pouch.

And when you get back, tell us how it went!

• Love 3
(edited)

Don't freeze up during the mock game.  And pray you don't get stuck playing the mock game with the guy who runs the board in a certain category you know little about.  Both happened to me in my recent audition, which is why I'm not waiting by my phone with baited breath for the phone call.  Maybe next time...

Good luck!! :)

Edited by wallflower75
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, just prin said:

What happens to all the "cheery, bubbly, outgoing" auditioners once they hit the J stage? Must be the "Oh my god, I'm actually here" reality/horror. ;)

I think that's part of it. Plus they realize they're actually on the show and the gloves come off. Everybody's in it to win it, no more Mr./Ms. Nice Guy.

Back from my audition.  It was a lot of fun.  I did really well on the written test- much easier to write the answers than have to type them.  I can only think of 3 that I missed. The mock game was fine- I don't think they actually let the first to buzz in answer all the time- it seemed pretty evenly spaced.  It seems they are more concerned about using the buzzer, calling out the clues quickly, and speaking up, so I did ok.  The interview was fine, but I certainly do not have as many interesting anecdotes as some of the others.  Hopefully I am not too boring for the show.

Interesting fact: I was talking to one of the other prospective contestants who was back for his second try.  He said that at his first audition after the written test they called out a couple of people and they went outside and did not return.  I guess they bombed the written test.  Never occurred to me, but I guess some people have a whole bunch of "helpers" when they take the online test.  There is not enough time to google anything, but if you have your pub quiz team standing by they could certainly help with the answers.  No one in my group was asked to leave.  There were about 24 people in my group, and there were 2 other auditions today.

• Love 7

Im just discovering this thread and was going to comment re: time from taping to airing...my kid was on Kids week in 2013 and they shot in the first week of Feb (online test halloween week, callbacks 1st week of Dec 2012) and it aired in August. Of course, that's a designated event so the turnaround time seems to be quicker with then general airings. I'm considering taking the test now. We had a great experience with the crew and I wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

Whenever people find out I was on Jeopardy, they invariably ask if I did any studying in preparation for the test or before appearing on the show. My answer is always the same - not really. Because you either know it or you don't. There's not a whole lot of in between. Oddly enough, many of the answers to the questions are just snippets of information I learned way back in grade school or high school and never used (or even thought about again) until they popped up in a given category like Geography or the Periodic Table, for example. 

Of course nowadays with the internet a wealth of information is as close as your smartphone but that's not going to help you when you're actually in there auditioning. So it just boils down to your own personal wealth of information stored inside that big file cabinet in your head and how quickly you can pull it out.

Good luck, 3 is enough. Hope you're selected.

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Anyone taking the online test this week? I'm all over that bad boy tonight. 

I was going to do it yesterday, and then remembered at 8:14pm. So I'll try for tonight at 9pm!

7 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I was going to do it yesterday, and then remembered at 8:14pm. So I'll try for tonight at 9pm!

Not sure what time zone you're in but it's 5 PM Pacific, so it'll be 8 PM on the East coast :) I wouldn't want you to risk missing it again!

Weird, I got an email on Oct 2 with the dates Oct 3, Oct 4 and Oct 5! And the corresponding EST times 8pm, 9pm, 10pm.

Just checked the website and it looks like the dates in the email were off by a day. Thanks everyone!!

I definitely blanked on some - 'river horse', for example - but I think I was a decent first attempt. I'd be beyond shocked if I did well enough for an audition, but it was fun to do the online test :)

I know sometimes people will post the questions (or answers) - if anyone knows where I could find that, I'm curious to see. I'm terrible with remembering the questions.

7 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Holy balls in looking at that list I am going to be in trouble tonight.  Just looking at question 2, I knew it, but I don't know if it would have come to me in 30 seconds.

Even worse, you only get 15 seconds! That is definitely the worst part. A few of them came to me seconds after time ran out, but you have to forget about that and focus on the next question.