Type keyword(s) to search

Dancing With The Stars [AU] - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Shane got hugely criticised on Twitter for not seeming interested during the first show, so I wouldn't be shocked if he was just overcompensating. He should calm down eventually.

I was only half paying attention, but I really liked Matt's Spice Girls routine.

I was only half paying attention, but I really liked Matt's Spice Girls routine.

So did I, but for some reason, I thought it was supposed to be a Samba and kept wondering when the judges were going to ding him for a lack of content.

Somehow, I think tonight's episode was better than the actual Rio Olympics will be next year.

My favorite dances of the night were easily Matthew's Foxtrot to "The Girl from Ipanema" and Jude's Samba.  I was glad to see Matthew finally get a Ballroom dance, and this one showed that he's as good in Ballroom as he is in Latin.  And Jude brought it in the Samba -- his expression and his hip movement were the best that I've seen from a male celeb in a long time (and I absolutely covet his upper body!).  Larry's Tango was also good.  He got the expression and the character down perfectly.

So next week is Australia's first double elimination?  It's now getting to the point that I don't want to see anyone leave.  I'm even sad that Bruno's tenure as guest judge is over (although I'll look forward to seeing him on the US and UK versions in about six weeks or so)!

So, was it party time in Rio for anyone else tonight?  :)

I thought Jude was not good. He's so awkward. Nice to look at, but awkward. I agree about Matthew though. I love him. If I had to pick a winner right now I'd be split between him and Emma. Both are great dancers, but this show could use a female celebrity winner.

I like most of the celebs, but for some reason Ash really bugs me. She's very talented, but I wouldn't mind her has a shocking elimination in a few weeks. 

Poor Giselle being kicked off in the first two eliminations. 

I thought Jude was not good. He's so awkward. Nice to look at, but awkward. I agree about Matthew though. I love him. If I had to pick a winner right now I'd be split between him and Emma. Both are great dancers, but this show could use a female celebrity winner.

I like most of the celebs, but for some reason Ash really bugs me. She's very talented, but I wouldn't mind her has a shocking elimination in a few weeks. 

Poor Giselle being kicked off in the first two eliminations. 

Yeah, that had to have stung for Giselle.

I agree that Matthew is a contender.  His enthusiasm is contagious, and he really does have a tremendous amount of dancing talent for a non-dancer (he's no Gilles Marini, mind you, but he's really enjoyable to watch).  I wouldn't be surprised to see him make the finals.  I really hope he takes Kym's advice to heart about fixing his slight posture problems.

I know Jude isn't technically the best dancer (neither are Larry or Mat), but I enjoy watching him commit himself every week.  And his Samba really was one of the best male Sambas I've seen in a long time, even though he did screw up a bit towards the end.   I'd like to see him and Larry stick around a bit longer.

Last night's dancing didn't really impress me all that much, to be honest.  I hated all but two of the song choices, for starters, and even the celebs whom I consider to be front runners were letdowns in many ways.  The only three dances that I really liked were Mat's Foxtrot, Ash's Viennese Waltz, and Matthew's Viennese Waltz, although I was particularly disappointed to see that Matthew still has posture issues in Ballroom; I was completely fixated (and not in a good way) by the way his butt kept sticking out throughout the dance.  I'll still be surprised, though, if he doesn't make at least the semi-finals. 

I was surprised that Kelly had to do the Quickstep.  On our version's most recent series, Noah Galloway (who is missing an arm as well as a leg) got out of doing it because the computer in his prosthetic leg couldn't handle the speed and changes of direction required by the Quickstep.

I also couldn't quite get the concept of Larry's Paso Doble.  It looked like a Game of Thrones/Once Upon a Time mashup (and it didn't help that the music selection was hideous!).

Edited by legaleagle53

Well, crap. That's pretty much all I have to say about that result. I mean, it was a given whatshername and Carmelo were going home when they just didn't have anywhere near the fanbase of anyone else, but still.

Did you have another pick to leave? I liked Sam and I felt like she was improving, but she was on borrowed time. Two of the weakest 4 (Jude and Larry being the others) went home. I can't really argue with that. Then again, I can't really judge Kelly easily against her competition. 

Speaking of the double elim, Todd, this was not the week to make a point by giving one of the better dancers a 5. While Ash was my pic for a shock elim at some point, I figured that would be because the audience would not warm up to her as much as others. The judges are supposed to reward technique. I think it was fair to point out Ash is too hard at times and even to take off a point or so, but no way was she the worst of the night. I expect more from judges.

Then on the other end of the spectrum is Kym. That quickstep from Kelly was rough. The best explanation for Kym's score was she was taking Kelly's physicality into account, but I'm not sure that was near perfect even then. They probably should have skipped the quickstep for Kelly.

Last night's dancing didn't really impress me all that much, to be honest.  I hated all but two of the song choices, for starters, and even the celebs whom I consider to be front runners were letdowns in many ways.  The only three dances that I really liked were Mat's Foxtrot, Ash's Viennese Waltz, and Matthew's Viennese Waltz, although I was particularly disappointed to see that Matthew still has posture issues in Ballroom; I was completely fixated (and not in a good way) by the way his butt kept sticking out throughout the dance.  I'll still be surprised, though, if he doesn't make at least the semi-finals. 

I LOVED the music and costumes. Overall I really enjoyed the show. Mat was a real surprise for me. That was lovely and looked effortless. I completely agree about Matthew's posture. I think the costumes for him didn't help. He could have used a jacket and probably to be wearing something in the same color scheme as Masha. The stark contrast made his lines stand out, which was not to his benefit this week. I still enjoyed his performance and his love for Masha, even though it's clear neither of their significant others should be worried.

I completely agree about Matthew's posture. I think the costumes for him didn't help. He could have used a jacket and probably to be wearing something in the same color scheme as Masha. The stark contrast made his lines stand out, which was not to his benefit this week. I still enjoyed his performance and his love for Masha, even though it's clear neither of their significant others should be worried.

Yeah, I thought it was ridiculous that Edwina even went there.  Hello -- it's common knowledge that Matthew's openly gay and was known to be such even before he won his gold medal at the Beijing Summer Olympics in 2008.  What on earth was Edwina playing at by joking about a possible romance between him and Masha?  It's called acting, Edwina dearie, and Matthew happens to be a natural at it.

Edited by legaleagle53

Yeah, I thought it was ridiculous that Edwina even went there.  Hello -- it's common knowledge that Matthew's openly gay and was known to be such even before he won his gold medal at the Beijing Summer Olympics in 2008.  What on earth was Edwina playing at by joking about a possible romance between him and Masha?  It's called acting, Edwina dearie, and Matthew happens to be a natural at it.

The fact that a man and a woman can act like they are in love for the sake of the dance is often lost on U.S. audiences, so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a point lost on Australian audiences as well. Some people still believe these pros fall in love with their partner every. single. season. Anyway, Edwina was awkwardly pointing out a lot of significant others throughout the show. I'm not sure what the point of any of it was. 

• Love 1

Emma needs to win. Purely in that this version hasn't had a female celebrity winner since I think 7 seasons, longest streak of no female winner in any version I'm aware, at least the English speaking versions.

Plus, she's likeable and has great ability and performs well, but with the Australian public's past of picking the cute, mildly talented male celeb over a fantastic female (a.k.a people like Tamara Jaber, Haley Bracken, Zoe Crammond, and Ricki-Lee Coulter being utterly robbed), I'm expecting another man to win, because apparently Australian can't fully back a female celeb. If any woman does it, it'll be Emma. Ash is too polarizing and I can see her making 4th or 3rd place at best.

I wouldn't really have a problem with an Emma win, although she's not my favorite.  That would be Matthew, with Mat second and Larry a close third.  Matthew is the best male dancer left (even though he still has posture issues in Ballroom), and Mat and Larry are by far the most entertaining.

I do think, though, that it will be Emma, Matthew, and probably Larry or Mat in the finals.

I wouldn't really have a problem with an Emma win, although she's not my favorite.  That would be Matthew, with Mat second and Larry a close third.  Matthew is the best male dancer left (even though he still has posture issues in Ballroom), and Mat and Larry are by far the most entertaining.

I do think, though, that it will be Emma, Matthew, and probably Larry or Mat in the finals.

i just think this version is LONG overdue a female win after so many seasons of the cute, charismatic male winning. In no universe should Rob Palmer, Manu Feidel, and Cosentino have won. I can vouch for David Rodan last year because he was actually good. But Emma is great and has a cute personality and I see no reason why she can't win. Lord knows the judges can't give Ash her due even though she's quite a good dancer as well.

Edited by PBGamer89

i just think this version is LONG overdue a female win after so many seasons of the cute, charismatic male winning. In no universe should Rob Palmer, Manu Feidel, and Cosentino have won. I can vouch for David Rodan last year because he was actually good. But Emma is great and has a cute personality and I see no reason why she can't win. Lord knows the judges can't give Ash her due even though she's quite a good dancer as well.

Considering Mat and Matthew have both been in the bottom 2 while Emma and Ash have not, I'd say right now the women are the front runners. I think the judges have been harsh on Matthew in recent weeks and lenient on Emma. She's good, but she sometimes looks hesitant or even like she's forgetting what comes next. Honestly, no outcome would surprise me at this point. 

New cast for Season 17 of DWTS AU.

James Rees

Cassandra Thorburn

Constance Hall

Miguel Maestre

Olympica Valance

Sir Curtly Ambrose

Michelle Bridges

Denise Scott

Samuel Johnson

Courtney Act

Jett Kenny

For the non-Aussies, my breakdown - legit celebrities - Sir Curtly Ambrose (cricketer), Michelle Bridges (Fitness Expert from Biggest Loser AU), Denise Scott (Comedian - LOVE HER), Samuel Johnson (Cancer charity philanthropist/fundraiser/Actor/Gold Logie Winner), Courtney Act (Reality Star - Australian Idol/RuPaul's Drag Race/Celebrity Big Brother UK)

There because of more famous familial connections - Cassandra Thorburn - Karl Stevanovik's (breakfast TV host) ex-wife - recent high profile divorce, Jett Kenny - Lisa Curry and Grant Kenny's son (both where Olympians and the nation's golden couple of a big part of the 80s and 90s).

Well I guess I've heard of: Constance Hall - first out in Big Brother 5/Mummy Blogger.

I have zero idea who the heck these folk are: James Rees, Olympia Valance, Miguel Maestre

A quick search shows Olympia Valance would be in the more famous familial connection category - she's Holly Valance's half sister. James Rees seems to be a children's performer/knock off version of the Wiggles/Hi-5 and Miguel Maestre is a chef (and hot - allow me some superficiality lol)

I am surprised their are no Rugby (either League or Union), or AFL players this seasons. There is normally at least one or two per season when on channel 7 (and AFL players normally do pretty well - two have won and most others have performed quiet well (its a sport whose moves and general play compliment ballroom dancing in a weird fascinating way).

Edited by Robert
  • Useful 1

Really enjoyed the first epi of DWTS AU. It was like DWTS Classic, without all the crazy props and lightshows and muckin' about. No extra dancers in the routines. The cast is likeable. The drag queen is excellent! The hosts are alright. The judging is... 

Tristan: He needs to grow into it. He is not a natural. I think his scores matched Sharna's all but once. He got more relaxed toward the end. 

Sharna: She wants to be positive. She has never been my fav, but whatever. It was a bit hard to take her telling the one's with lots of personality but no technique that they had to work on their technique.

Craig: The harsh one. I like him. I laughed a couple times. I mean if you are gonig to throw out 1's and 2's (which I have never seen before), you might as well go all in.   

• Love 1

It seems pretty clear that the Top 2 will be - or they want them to be - Courtney Act and Samuel Johnson. But, it's warranted because both are awesome. However there are 2 others who have potential to be dark horses - Jimmy Giggle (especially - dude can move) and Holly Valance's sister.

I'd attached clips, but I think they're only available to Aussie viewers at the moment. But Courtney at least does post vids on her instagram.

• Love 1

Oh snap, they are trying everything to avoid having a lesser talent win like the notorious last US season. Can't believe Olivia and the athlete woman went out while FAR worse dancers remain. Looks like they have made if fool-proof for next week with the judges getting the final say on the ouster.

Love quite a few of these contestants even though I have no idea who they are. 

Tristan has disappointed me as a judge. "Yeah, I loooved it."

Enjoyed having the older comedian woman back as the sidekick! Keep her and get rid of the other guy, he doesn't add much.   

11 hours ago, TVbitch said:

Looks like they have made if fool-proof for next week with the judges getting the final say on the ouster.

And it worked - Sir Curtly was out last week.

Also last week - the judges danced! Tristan was largely forgettable, but man if Craig didn't LIVE his Miss Hannigan in the "Easy Street" dance! 🤣

5 remain and Jimmy could be next to go -- so my dark horses are flailing, but my proposed Top 2 probably *will* be the Top 2.

Although now Constance is coming up in the ranks ad could be a worthy 3rd placer.

• Love 2

I love Craig Revel Horwood. He is a tough judge, but gives very precise reasons and does it with humor. And his drag dance was freaking awesome. He gave Courtney a run for her money! Can we steal him for the US version?

Totally bummed that Jimmy had to quit. Jett was running on fumes. Craig and Tristan riffing on how Jett sat in a chair for much of his dance was hilaious. 

I am enjoying this series much more than any recent US season. The cast is very likeable and there is a lot of humor.  

• Love 2

I tried watching Dancing With the Stars New Zealand but didn't even make it through the first episode. It was like a "public access" version. I thought the hosts, dancers, judges, and celebs were all rather boring. 

• Love 1

All of this season's dances are now up on YouTube. I just binged the first two weeks, and I have to say that the music choices were terrible even by this franchise's standards. And I'm not really enamored of the fact that Australia's attempt at a same-sex male couple consisted of a male pro and a drag queen. Same-sex male dancing doesn't have the same impact when the male celeb looks so much like a woman that I'd never know that I wasn't watching a woman if I hadn't been told. Austria, Italy, and Ukraine did same-sex male couples SO much better -- and drove the general point of same-sex couples home so much better, too!