Type keyword(s) to search

Frozen in Storybrooke: Characters and Story

• Start Topic

She seemed to be given material which was more passive

Yeah that's it. In that sense A&E did follow the movie's formula where Anna was the adventurer and Elsa was more passive and introspective but in the movie that passivity allowed them to build up to THE moment of the film which was given to Elsa in Let It Go. Once can't give Elsa that moment. I have a feeling their Elsa "moment" was the pity party she threw on the beach. I think it's also a lot less interesting to see real actors getting the passive material vs animation.

Elsa, was she was given a single goal... find Anna, which was dragged out for 9 episodes.

The 9 episodes is the killer isn't it? I bet what they were going for was in the film Anna set out to find Elsa so now Elsa gets to find Anna. Except I can't believe no one in that writing room realized how different it is to watch a 2 hour movie in one go vs. 9 episodes over the course of 2 months.

Yeah--Elsa's quest to locate Anna was stretched too long. They should have interspersed it with "normal" scenes like Elsa going clothes-shopping with Emma, while they shared girl-talk, or hanging out in the diner talking to Hook about how weird Storybrooke was. No one would think she wasn't interested in finding her sister if she acted like a regular person once in a while, but I suppose that didn't fit with the plot!plot!plot! style of writing of A&E. Haig did a fantastic job, though!

I agree Elsa's search for Anna dragged out. Reminds me too much of "WAAAALT!" I prefer seeing Anna and Kristoff interact with people in Storybrooke rather than in the Enchanted Forest. The whole fairytale vs. reality clash just works better with Anna than Elsa. Heidi of the Hills in a cynical asphalt world is just a more entertaining juxtaposition. Elsa strutting around in an ice dress is only interesting for so long.

I wish Anna and Elsa would hang out in Storybrooke, or get a portal working to where they could visit any time. I'd love to see a scene where Emma is depressed and she goes to coffee with Elsa for a pick-me-up. Kristoff and David could go to the White Rabbit and watch a hockey game, and Anna and Belle could start a book club.

Edited by KingOfHearts

My biggest problem with Elsa's search for Anna is that it didn't go anywhere. They spent time rummaging through libraries and such but never got any closer to actually finding Anna until the most recent episode, when all at once Elsa gets the necklace back and it's apparently a magic item that grants wishes. At least the plot in Arendelle moved along, with Anna gallivanting across the Enchanted Forest and Elsa learning about her crazy aunt. It would've been nice to see Elsa getting closer to finding Anna; then maybe it wouldn't the wishing star so out-of-the-blue.

• Love 1

I was wondering... do you think there would have been viewership for a "Once Upon a Time in Arendelle" spinoff if it had been made and aired in Jan-Mar?  Or was the Frozen stuff played out by the end of 4A?  What storyline could you have forseen for that?  Do you think the Frozen characters could have sustained 13 additional episodes?

I think there was definitely material there -- for one thing, returning to the kingdom and taking it back from Hans and his brothers who had apparently co-opted the entire military plus Blackbeard -- should have taken more than Anna marching into the throne room and punching Hans, but since Disney is working on a sequel, I doubt Disney would let them play with an entire miniseries of Frozen.

I showed my parents the movie over Christmas, and my mom couldn't understand why all the girls are obsessed with and want to be Elsa rather than Anna. I don't get it either, since Anna is really the star, gets most of the songs (other than the iconic anthem), gets all the action, is much more active than passive, saves the day, and gets the laughs and the guy. I guess for teenage girls, Elsa is the perfect role model for the "no one understands me and appreciates how special I am" phase, but I can't really explain the smaller girls' very strong preference, unless it's the sparkly dress. Anyone have any insight? On Once, I liked Elsa, but in the movie, I'm totally Team Anna.

but I can't really explain the smaller girls' very strong preference, unless it's the sparkly dress. Anyone have any insight? On Once, I liked Elsa, but in the movie, I'm totally Team Anna.

I'd have to say it's just walking around in a sparkly dress like a princess and having magical powers, while belting out their favorite song. She fits the "princess" model more than Anna, and young girls tend to go for that more than bubbly heroines.

As much as I liked the Frozen characters on Once, I think it's just too soon for an entire live-action spinoff show. I really liked the Wonderland series because there have been so many different versions and sequels and continuations on that world that I liked seeing Once's take on it. The Frozen world hasn't been around long enough to have expanded to the point where there would be enough to sustain its own series, I think. There's not much license to play around with the main characters. Plus, presumably there are still Frozen sequels to be made, so then you get into the potential of conflicting with those.

I'd rather they first go (back) to more established worlds like Oz and Neverland, possibly even Camelot or the Hundred Acre Wood. Or just straight up have an entire spinoff set solely in the Enchanted Forest.

My own kid is an Anna fan, then Kristoff, Olaf, and Sven before Elsa. She's not into sparkles, so that might be a reason. She also really like Hans, though, so her judge of character is suspect.

I showed my parents the movie over Christmas, and my mom couldn't understand why all the girls are obsessed with and want to be Elsa rather than Anna. 

Elsa has the power, both regal and magical.  She shapes the story.  She struggles with who she is and what she wants.  I think I'd rather my daughter were into Rlsa than Anna as well.

... couldn't understand why all the girls are obsessed with and want to be Elsa rather than Anna. I don't get it either, .... but I can't really explain the smaller girls' very strong preference, unless it's the sparkly dress. Anyone have any insight?

I can't really speak for the girls who have seen it, but superpowers are always cool. And she's a queen.

----------------------

So I finally saw Frozen, and I guess I would have been more impressed if I hadn't already been completely spoiled on all the plot twists, and hadn't seen the characters on Once. Probably not, but it seemed like the story was influenced by this show. Didn't like the very convenient magic trolls.

Edited by Trini

I'm interested in rewatching the animated "Frozen" to see how many references the "Once" writers managed to cram in, and whether everything was consistent with the original movie.  I wasn't too impressed with it the first time around, but I wonder if I'll actually like it more after "Once".  I actually didn't like Elsa, Anna nor Kristoff all that much when I watched the animated movie, but I really liked live-action Elsa, so maybe my feelings will have changed.

The only way I think they could have done a "Once Upon a Frozen" for this January-March would be if Anna, Elsa and Kristoff entered the Manor house in "Heroes and Villains" and they got sucked into a vortex that Rumple set up.  Anna, Elsa and Kristoff find out that they are on Tattooine with Luke and Leia.  Anna teaches them how to use a light saber and then goes to defeat Darth Vader.  R2D2 can create portals, and they travel back to Arendelle, where they defeat Hans with the help of Luke, Leia and Han Solo, but not before realizing Jabba the Hut came along too.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2

I put the first bit of "Frozen" on in the background while doing other stuff.

I didn't realize it was actually the Rock Trolls who had these lines after Young Anna's accident: "I recommend we remove all magic, even memories of magic, to be safe", and then the Rock Troll says "Listen to me Elsa, your power will only grow.  There is beauty in it BUT ALSO GREAT DANGER.  You must learn to control it.  Fear will be your enemy", accompanied with frightening/ominous imagery in the sky.  Great idea, Troll, to tell her not to fear and then scare her, without any advice how she could control the power.  Why would the Rock Troll ask the King and Queen if Elsa was "born with the powers or Cursed".  As if they didn't already know.  Are we supposed to believe Gerda never once went to the Trolls after finding out Elsa's powers?  She clearly let Young Elsa use her powers freely in the palace when playing with Anna.  I had forgotten Elsa/Anna's mother says practically nothing, and it's mostly the Father who responds to the Rock Trolls's advice, saying he will keep Elsa isolated, and then that "conceal, don't feel" line.  I suppose all this can be fanwanked away, but the adaptation on "Once" wasn't as seamless as I had remembered (I only watched the original movie once this summer, so I didn't remember the details).

Edited by Camera One

It's also the Dad who says "I know what to do!" when Anna first gets knocked out by Elsa's magic and gets the map to find the trolls. The mom never says or does anything to indicate she has any knowledge of the trolls. The whole backstory Once made up with Gerda and the trolls didn't really work with the movie for me. I would have rather her use the wishing star necklace to erase the memories, and then destroying it would restore them.

*I think Grandpabbie says "fear will be your enemy" not memory. Of course, the parents then immediately make Elsa hide away and fear her own powers even more. In the grand tradition of really stupid Disney parents.

*I think Grandpabbie says "fear will be your enemy" not memory. Of course, the parents then immediately make Elsa hide away and fear her own powers even more. In the grand tradition of really stupid Disney parents.

Yes, you're right.  I fixed my typo.  

I blamed the parents fully in my first watch-through as well, but now I think the Rock Trolls were even more of a problem.  The father tells them his plan to isolate Elsa, and clearly, they didn't counsel against it.  "Once" actually made them seem wiser than they really are.  They certainly never said "magic has a price" when they decided they should take Anna's memories of magic.

The mom never says or does anything to indicate she has any knowledge of the trolls.

I agree... I was especially looking at her face, and she seemed completely clueless.  

Edited by Camera One

II showed my parents the movie over Christmas, and my mom couldn't understand why all the girls are obsessed with and want to be Elsa rather than Anna. I don't get it either, since Anna is really the star, gets most of the songs (other than the iconic anthem), gets all the action, is much more active than passive, saves the day, and gets the laughs and the guy. I guess for teenage girls, Elsa is the perfect role model for the "no one understands me and appreciates how special I am" phase, but I can't really explain the smaller girls' very strong preference, unless it's the sparkly dress. Anyone have any insight? On Once, I liked Elsa, but in the movie, I'm totally Team Anna.

I'm team movie Anna as well. Back when I was a kid, she's a princess I would have identified with: awkward, but witty and determined. But when I watched it with my 7-year-old niece, she would constantly interject the viewing with "I'm Elsa". I don't get it either, but maybe it's just that Elsa's magical powers and the fact that she can build an ice palace are cool. Also, I have that noticed younger boys like my 3 and 5-year old nephews love the film for Olaf, Sven and Kristoff (and Marshmallow, according the the 3-year-old).

Like I've said, I fell in love with Once's version of Elsa, Kristoff, Anna and Sven. Yes, Anna could be a little too much, but when I randomly picked up an US magazine at a hairdresser and learned that Elizabeth Lail graduated from UNC, which is near me, I couldn't help but like her.

I would have liked to see more of how Elsa, Anna and Kristoff defeated Hans and his brothers. I do think there is more that can be done in Arendelle. I can imagine them encountering all the Hans Christian Anderson and Scandinavian fairy tale characters there. I would love to see a Jack Frost storyline.

Edited by ABitOFluff
  • Love 1

I watched Frozen again during a long flight and I noticed something that was changed from the movie. In Once, it was established that Elsa and Anna's mother was the ruling monarch of Arendelle, having inherited the throne from her father (after her two older sisters disappeared/urned/died). In the movie, Elsa and Anna's father is established as the King of Arendelle. This is not explicitly stated by a character, but is nonetheless made clear by: during "The First Time in Forever" Elsa looks up at a portrait of her father at his coronation (he is wearing a more masculine version of the crown Elsa later wears and is caring the orb and sceptre; the girls' mother is not in the portrait), when the family arrives to see Grand Pabbie, the rock trolls are saying "It's the King" (not it's the Queen), and the King is also the one giving the orders about shutting the gates of Arendelle etc. 

This stood out to me as they seemed to be otherwise keeping very close to the movie canon. I wonder why they decided to change it? I have to assume it was because they wanted Ingrid to really be a queen due to the Snow Queen moniker.

This stood out to me as they seemed to be otherwise keeping very close to the movie canon. I wonder why they decided to change it? I have to assume it was because they wanted Ingrid to really be a queen due to the Snow Queen moniker.

I think it's also because they wanted a sister relationship to copy parallel Elsa and Anna, and King Agðar wouldn't have allowed for that.

What's possibly even more surprising is that they were allowed to change the Queen's name, from Iðunn to Gerda, despite the former being literally set in stone in the movie.

Now that they've confirmed that there will indeed be a "Frozen 2", does anyone want to sign a petition to have A&E write the script for the sequel?

Frozen 2: Anna and Elsa go on a Really Cool Adventure but We're Going to Let All of That Fun Stuff Happen Off Screen and Only Focus on Hans and How the Good Guys Mistreated Him in the Past Which Justifies His Bad Behavior in This Sequel.

• Love 6

I was thinking that maybe Elsa could find the diary of her mother saying that Anna too will gain magical powers when she turns 18, but Elsa hides this secret from Anna because when you betray someone, you can never regain their trust because you make them see the worst of you.  Anna meets a woman in the mountain who is actually her aunt The Snow Queen, Original Recipe, who reveals that Elsa was hiding the truth from her.  Anna becomes enraged and her latent power goes out of control.  Except her power is fire, not ice.  The aunt manipulates Anna to terrorize the kingdom of Arendelle, trapping it in a ring of fire.  This creates a Glowing Cinder, who becomes Frozen 2's singing sidekick.  Anna also sings the future hit song "Let It Burn".  Elsa and Kristoff set off on a road trip to convince Anna to come back home.  At the end of the movie, we find out the only one who can defeat The Snow Queen is Hans, who now wants to be a Hero, and his Act of True Redemption vanquishes The Snow Queen, who we find out was an innocent victim of society's discrimination as she was bullied as a child and called The Abdominable Snowman.  The movie ends with Anna and Elsa talking before Anna's wedding with Kristoff.  Which we don't see because that's for Frozen 3.  The End.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2