Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

A young boy, Danny Solano, is found dead on an idyllic beach in the small seaside town of Gracepoint, spurring a major investigation lead by Detective Emmett Carver, who has just arrived in Gracepoint to fill a high position in the town's police force. That job previously had been promised to Detective Ellie Miller, who, in light of the tragedy, must put any resentment aside and work the case with her prickly new boss. Danny's parents Mark and Beth Solano, and his older sister, Chloe are devastated by the news, which carves a powerfully dark wake through the town as friends become suspects.

• Love 1

So, yes, this was a shot-for-shot remake of Broadchurch so far, especially the opening and the title shot. But I don't care, really. Usually I'm right along with everybody else complaining about remakes when the original was already so good, but it's different this time around.

I wasn't going to make judgements on David Tennant's American accent until I saw the full episode because I can't say anything based on a couple of seconds-long clips. It's really not bad, especially since he's going from a Scottish accent.

If the killer stays the same as it was in Broadchurch, then I'm okay with that because I went into Broadchurch spoiled and had the opportunity to look for any foreshadowing and such and not focusing on the whodunnit aspect. I'm doing the same here, but I'm hoping that since they changed the cause of Danny's death that it's actually

Tom, Ellie's son,

this go-round. It would make things more interesting and in Broadchurch, there was more pointing to

him than his father.

• Love 2

So, yes, this was a shot-for-shot remake of Broadchurch so far, especially the opening and the title shot. But I don't care, really. Usually I'm right along with everybody else complaining about remakes when the original was already so good, but it's different this time around.

I wasn't going to make judgements on David Tennant's American accent until I saw the full episode because I can't say anything based on a couple of seconds-long clips. It's really not bad, especially since he's going from a Scottish accent.

If the killer stays the same as it was in Broadchurch, then I'm okay with that because I went into Broadchurch spoiled and had the opportunity to look for any foreshadowing and such and not focusing on the whodunnit aspect. I'm doing the same here, but I'm hoping that since they changed the cause of Danny's death that it's actually

Tom, Ellie's son,

this go-round. It would make things more interesting and in Broadchurch, there was more pointing to

him than his father.

I agree.  It's shot-for-shot but still very good and well-acted.  I'll definitely keeping watching.

I thought DT's accent was fine.  I couldn't understand his real accent a ton of the time during Broadchurch.

I was disappointed it turned out to be a shot-for-shot remake. It also seemed like Anna Gunn was acting as Jodi Whittaker as Beth.

DT's accent was distracting but I'm not sure if it would be for those who aren't as familiar with his work.

Right now I'm very meh about it.

• Love 1

It was a shot by shot remake of Broadchurch, but I still liked it. It was like a double dose of Broadchurch, which I am totally fine with.

I liked the casting so far, so I do not mind that it is basically Broadchurch. Maybe, if it sticks around long enough it will come into it's own and be different. 

I love love love David Tennent, so while he has success in the UK, I would love to see him have success in the states.

• Love 2

I don't understand the fuss about accents. Lots of people have them, in reality and on TV. Big deal. Sometimes they're strong, sometimes they're weak or watered down having been gone from the old country for decades, and sometimes they're a mix of several backgrounds. I don't see why it matters. Anyone who thinks all Americans sound the same is kidding themselves.

That was a very real depiction of grief, something many TV shows do badly. I see people on TV all the time who are told that their loved one has died, and they sob for 30 seconds and then move on. Yeah, right. This show got it right.

I like the small town newspaper, so realistic to have the reporter taking pictures of the soccer team and the editor snarking to get the names right so the parents don't get mad again. Heh.

Edited by Shermie
  • Love 7

Jack Reinhold (Nick Nolte) is already starting to irritate me.  But I've been kind of down on him ever since Teachers, if not before.

Sometimes Emmett Carver's facial hair looks like a full beard, other times it looks like 3 day stubble.  Which is odd because, Sonny Crockett aside, most American cops don't go for that look (most being clean shaven).

I'm curious why Gracepoint's Chief of Police hired Emmett Carver.  Carver may have more experience than Ellie Miller, but that may not be that important given that Gracepoint has one of the lowest crime rates in the state (Carver was hired before Danny's murder).  Gracepoint's police would be subject to the mayor and city council, but they'd essentially be a stand-alone law enforcement agency.  No one could order them to hire Rosemont's leftovers.  Political pressure might be brought to bear, but why?  I suppose it's possible the chief is just doing a favor for Rosemont's chief of police.

It's about 370 miles from San Francisco to the Oregon border.  If Gracepoint is about halfway in between, and Renee Clemons from the San Francisco Globe can get there in about 2 hours, she should talk to her doctor about possible lead poisoning in her foot.

Every time I saw Joe Miller, Ellie's husband, I thought it was Robert Carlyle from about 15/20 years back.

• Love 4

New to the story, so it's nice to hear that, even in a shot-for-shot re-do, it's at least a good one.

I'm here for the Anna Gunn and the David Tennant. Yet, I may stay for Mr. Pena and Ms. Kull. Their reactions and recriminations felt right. Cutting enough to hurt, but nothing too scarring. 

I am wanting to try to read the clues as they come, so I am trying to not land on anyone yet.

The San Francisco reporter woman? Can die. That is theft and interfering with a criminal investigation, minimum. She may end up with accommodations less to her liking. From the way his aunt was dealing with those lockers, Owen needs to watch his ass. (Loved Ellie's "Hi, Nick!" as the cop came in and past! )

For being a cop's son, Tom is kind of stupid. Hasn't he watched CSI or any tv shows from the last five years? Even the not-gory ones talk about retrieving information from erased hard drives. Unless we've been lied to and this is where our illusions are shattered.

Oh, and someone needs to smack whoever thought that that hairdo/wig on Jacki Weaver was good. She doesn't have to be her usual fab self, but that hair? Yikes! (If it is important for the character, I can deal, but...wow. Not in the good way.)

Very excited for next week!

• Love 1

Seeing the scene again, I don't understand why the family got so riled up when the daughter saw that Danny had been identified by the press. I mean, it's a small town, people saw the mom run over and collapse, people gossip and half the town probably knew anyway, and regardless, it's hardly going to be a secret by days end anyway. So why freak out at Ellie for "telling" as if she revealed some kind of dirty little secret?

Plus, dumb daughter went to a very public location where lots of people were milling about to place the Stuffed Animal of Remembrance, so don't get mad at the cop or newspaper for revealing Danny's identity.

• Love 10

I liked it too. (and seen the great Broadchurch) If I'd never seen Broadchurch, I'd still think it was a pretty good pilot. I guess I'm just a sucker for a good whodunit...and I suck at guessing who the killer is 99% of the time. 

I was watching with my dad so I use the captions for him and lucky I did because I could barely understand what the hell Nick Nolte was mumbling in the beginning.

That was a very real depiction of grief, something many TV shows do badly. I see people on TV all,time who are told that their loved one has died, and they sob for 30 seconds and then move on. Yeah, right. This show got or right.

Yes...and it was tough to watch.

Also the Michael Pena scene in the morgue(?) was moving. I actually welled up. I can't remember, was that in Broadchurch too?

(Loved Ellie's "Hi, Nick!" as the cop came in and past! )

Ha! me too. I don't think we'll be getting many light moments in the series, so that was nice to have.

and on a personal  note, RE: the sister leaving the stuffed animal- I would never want to put something that belonged to a loved one out in the open like that, I'd want to keep it for myself because it was apart of that person. But that's just me.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 2

It was not a shot-for-shot remake

There was no whale tail at the end of the first episode of Broadchurch.

For that matter,

I don't recall that Walder Frey had any kayaks in Broadchurch either

Oh, and

Broadchurch was south east of London.  Gracepoint is north of San Francisco

So it's almost silly to compare the two.

• Love 5

Some people thought that Ellie had just returned from maternity leave in Broadchurch.  That was not the case, as her younger son is hardly a newborn, not here and not in Broadchurch.  Can the person who wrote the recap (comparison) correct that?

So far I'm underwhelmed by the actors in this (love David Tennant, though).  I think Olivia Coleman was so good in Broadchurch and I'm having a really hard time with Anna Gunn.  Maybe she'll grow on me. 

• Love 8

Really was pretty much a remake of the the first episode of Broadchurch, but I was expecting that.  I'm glad I at least saw Broadchurch, or I would have just pretended it was a crazy Doctor Who episode, starring Ten and his new companion, Skyler White!

That sad... I guess it was fine.  I am curious to see if there will be any big changes from the original version, it seems well-cast, and I do think the setting is good and believable in it's own way.  David Tennant's accent was actually fine, and, unsurprisingly, he seems to already be in the zone.  Everyone else will probably need an episode or two to catch up, but I think they can make it work.  Anna Gunn has a lot to live up too, but I think if anyone can do it, she can (the "Hi Nick!" moment was a good one.)  Only ones I'm not quite sold on is the actress playing the mother (Jodi Whitaker automatically grabbed me in the original), and Nick Nolte; mainly because, IMO, David Bradley ended up being spectacular on Broadchurch.

Honestly, the whole newspaper breaking the story thing, is kind of silly to me, because I would think that between the sister publicly going out to leave the stuff animal at the spot, and all the cops around the family's house, the town would have figured it out anyway, before Tennant made his statement.  But, I guess the fact that the reporting cousin still did it, despite Ellie's protests, was still a major foul on his part.  Of course, with Jessica Lucas' big-city reporter joining the fray, what he did might end up a minor offense.

Still, I'm not watching anything else on Thursdays, so this will do.  As long as they stick to their plan of actually wrapping the case up by the end of the season/series, it should be fine.

Sierramist, in the UK maternity leave is a year so her baby would not have to be a newborn. The youngest child is definitely older than in Broadchurch, and I think Ellie had just returned from a vacation in Florida, but it could have come at the end of her leave.

• Love 1

I haven't seen Broadchurch, so this was new to me and I liked it. I'll have to say I wanted to watch to see the 10th Doctor and Skylar White as Detectives. I really want to know who killed Danny and am interested in finding that out. A lot is going on that town and I guess everyone is going to look suspicious at one point or another. 

• Love 2

I've never watched Broadchurch and never knew what it was about, so I really just tuned in because A) no Thursday shows as of yet and B) Anna Gunn.

I don't even remember anything related to Nick Nolte. Whoops. Anyway, I really enjoyed the stark feeling of the show. It was so quiet and full of tension. The acting was really on par, especially from the family. I'm also one of those people who can never figure out the killer, but I'm definitely along for the ride.

• Love 3

Some people thought that Ellie had just returned from maternity leave in Broadchurch.  That was not the case, as her younger son is hardly a newborn, not here and not in Broadchurch.  Can the person who wrote the recap (comparison) correct that?

In the UK (and other countries) maternity leave can be A LOT longer than in the US. There was a substantial conversation about it on TWoP's Broadchurch thread last year. Ellie had been on maternity for about a year. To wrap up her maternity, she and her family went to Florida as a family vacation. If memory serves, she brought back some Florida souvenirs to the office when she returned.

ETA: what Sarahendipity said.

Edited by Dust Bunny
  • Love 3

Hey Miller, you weren't passed over because you're a woman, it's because you're a piss poor cop. I also saw Broadchurch and then as now, if this was a real investigation she wouldn't be allowed anywhere near it. Especially after her screwup with the reporter

The cheese is practically wafting off Nick Nolte.

• Love 4

I agree, this is not a 'shot for shot' remake.  A lot of similarities, for sure, but I recall so many other shots and details in the original first one.  Danny Latimer was a paperboy, for one.  Alec Hardy (now Emmett Carver) wasn't a total asshole.  The original didn't have the artsy-fartsy shots this one aimed for.  I think that whole opening sequence of "dad going down Main St. running into all the suspects/characters" was an addition, wasn't it?  

I do like the prettier scenery.  England was so gray and bleak looking.  

I don't understand the fuss about accents. Lots of people have them, in reality and on TV. Big deal. Sometimes they're strong, sometimes they're weak or watered down having been gone from the old country for decades, and sometimes they're a mix of several backgrounds. I don't see why it matters. Anyone who thinks all Americans sound the same is kidding themselves.

I think the issue is remaking a British show into an American show, and hiring an all American cast, with the exception of the male lead who has a Scottish accent IRL and must now use an American accent for the remake. I expect I will get used to it after a while, but it is grating to me (I watched Broadchurch but not Dr Who) to see David Tennant and hear him speaking in the 'wrong' accent. I wouldn't have that problem if they had hired any other actor for the role.

Edited by Quilt Fairy

Really liked it. That scene when the Solanos are told about Danny was very well done and hard to watch. I know I teared up watching the family get the news. So far I'm liking all the actors in their roles. Anna Gunn is doing a good job and I had my doubts because I loved Olivia Colman but I'm already seeing Gunn as Ellie. As for David Tennant's accent, I think he did a great job. I miss that sexy Scottish accent but still loving DT in the role.

Looking forward to how this will be compared to Broadchurch. Even though it was pretty much the same script it felt different. I knew I was watching the same scenes but they felt new and fresh to me. Not sure why yet if it's just the actors or the different locale. Anyway, really enjoyed it.

• Love 1

I liked it. It's kind of like watching the same play with a different cast - which I also enjoy. The Doctor Detective's accent was fine to me - not that there's a standard American accent, so that's always going to be subjective.  I'm looking forward to watching it unfold.   

Edited by random chance
  • Love 2

I really enjoyed Broadchurch, so I went into this not quite sure if I'd like it, but I did.  

The show seems well cast.   I'll try not to make comparisons to the original British actors, since Gracepoint is peopled by Americans with American dispositions, habits, and mannerisms.    Even Nick Nolte was okay for the part.  Looking like the world's oldest hippie, he fit right into the setting.

Sometimes I like to know who did it at the beginning.  Picking up the clues and watching the process of narrowing in on the bad guy is fun, and I usually enjoy seeing a show re-made just for interest's sake, even though I almost always prefer the original.  

Thought it was well done. Olivia Colman was loads better in the Ellie Miller role, but it's early days yet, and maybe Anna Gunn will grow on me.  

Not identical to Broadchurch , but certainly very similar.  That's not a problem for me; I like watching what different actors do with the characters.

I was disappointed in how bad/silly some of that was, having heard good things about 'Broadchurch'. But I'm somewhat intrigued by the mystery, so may keep watching.

I think the actors are all fine, with the exception of David Tennant, who seems out of place, and to be playing it over the top.

• Love 5

It's like you hear a song for the first time and any covers later on are not gonna measure up, for the most part. It's only one episode in, but imho, I like Broadchurch better so far - the casting, cinematography, score and just, everything all adds up better than Gracepoint.

Even one of my favorite actors, Nick Nolte, doesn't seem as menacing as Game of Thrones Frey w/a gajillion wives. And like someone above said, Olivia Colman plays the part better, she manages to be devastated but more competent and her comedic bits are funnier, ease the tension more. Anna Gunn I don't think is a natural when it comes to funny. Could be Colman has better chemistry with Tennant.

British Columbia small town subbing in for California small town is beautiful as is Dorset, but Dorset just plays the part better.

And tell me the soundtrack on Broadchurch is not more haunting.

• Love 2

I definitely didn't mind David Tennant's American accent here, because I struggled mightily to understand him in Broadchurch.  And could never freaking figure out how to turn on the captions on my TV, so that didn't help LOL.

I love Anna Gunn, but for some reason I just couldn't get into her in this.  After being so connected to her as Skylar, I think it just felt like too much Anna Gunn too soon for me.

• Love 1

I watched this last night.  I don't know how I feel about it since I watched Broadchurch.  It was SO shot by shot it was distracting.  That said, I adore Anna Gunn having just seen her in an off-Broadway play this past summer.  

However, I think I'll keep watching.  

I'm glad to see Jessica Lucas, she played the annoying reporter; yes, the reporter was annoying in Broadchurch too.

• Love 1

I loved it and am excited to have what feels like a great summer mystery to me (we're having another heat wave here in sunny SoCal!). 

I have not seen nor heard of Broadchurch before visiting this thread; now it is invoked at every turn, which is annoyingly distracting for someone like me who watches this as a stand alone.  So I'll go away now and watch this show in solitude ...  ;-)

• Love 5

Liked the pilot, not loved but liked it enough.  I never watched Broadchurch but IDK, this who-done-it theme seems to be similar with alot of new shows this season so I feel like I've seen this show before.  And I still see Skylar White in Anna so hopefully that will pass.  Not seeing Dr. Who in David Tennat so I'm happy for that.

I am so baffled why they felt a need to remake this show - it was just on last year and it was so good and, it was in English, so why the remake?.  Olivia Coleman was a revelation.  

Is there really so much absence of any original creativity and we need to remake something just one year later?  Actually, I think the answer to that may be "yes" given the pure dreck of the new season's network shows which I have, so far, found utterly dreadful.  They are putting zero effort into any of them - my opinion only, of course.  

Maybe it is just that the good writers, etc are going to cable shows instead; that's what I would do if I was in that business and had a choice.  

I hope for the sake of the actors, etc., this version does well - I'm not watching anymore given I know the ending - I find it tough to watch remakes of mysteries when you know the end - 

• Love 2

I loved it and am excited to have what feels like a great summer mystery to me (we're having another heat wave here in sunny SoCal!). 

I have not seen nor heard of Broadchurch before visiting this thread; now it is invoked at every turn, which is annoyingly distracting for someone like me who watches this as a stand alone.  So I'll go away now and watch this show in solitude ...  ;-)

I think there are so many comparisons because we're discussing the pilot.  As this show progresses, there will be less of that, I would think.  Hope you hang in there.  I love to read comments from people who haven't seen Broadchurch .

I am so baffled why they felt a need to remake this show - it was just on last year and it was so good and, it was in English, so why the remake?.  Olivia Coleman was a revelation.  

Is there really so much absence of any original creativity and we need to remake something just one year later?  Actually, I think the answer to that may be "yes" given the pure dreck of the new season's network shows which I have, so far, found utterly dreadful.  They are putting zero effort into any of them - my opinion only, of course.  

Maybe it is just that the good writers, etc are going to cable shows instead; that's what I would do if I was in that business and had a choice.  

I hope for the sake of the actors, etc., this version does well - I'm not watching anymore given I know the ending - I find it tough to watch remakes of mysteries when you know the end - 

So you know the ending for Gracepoint?  I read in a couple of places that the ending will be different.  I hope so because I thought the ending for Broadchurch was kind of weak.

• Love 4

I confess, I didn't think David Tennant was anything special in either version.  Broadchurch was the first thing I had seen him in, but as roomtorome noted above, Olivia Coleman was the standout of that series for me.

I think I'll still give Gracepoint another look next week, though.

• Love 1

Anna Gunn isn't really working for me in this role.  She seems kind of bland.  I've never seen her in anthing else, so I don't know if it's just how she's playing Ellie or if she's actually kind of bland. 

And for some reason, she reminds me of Joanna Kerns (the mom on Growing Pains), so that is not helping.

• Love 6

I think there are so many comparisons because we're discussing the pilot.  As this show progresses, there will be less of that, I would think.  Hope you hang in there.  I love to read comments from people who haven't seen Broadchurch .

So you know the ending for Gracepoint?  I read in a couple of places that the ending will be different.  I hope so because I thought the ending for Broadchurch was kind of weak.

You're right, the ending for Gracepoint is different than Broadchurch. The killer is different this time around. That was announced very early on, even before shooting began I believe.

Very depressing first episode.  I mean, I knew what the mystery was going to be going in, but I still found it very depressing.  I found it to be a little slow in the action, but I guess it will pick up in the episodes to come.  David Tennant does a decent job as the out of town detective, but really, he needs a shave and a haircut.  I don't like the bedraggled look on him.

Just a couple of random things.  I would not have even known that was Nick Nolte if I hadn't read it here before watching the episode.  Also, Danny's mom looked so young that she could be his sister.  Finally, I didn't think that the actress playing Ellie was very good.  The part where she was kicking the lockers was absolutely hilarious and that's definitely not what they were going for there.  I have seen Broadchurch, and while I thought that it was majorly overhyped and not nearly as clever as it was made out to be, I definitely preferred the acting in the original.  Ellie and David Tennant's characters in Broadchurch had chemistry right away, even though Ellie was pretty hostile towards him, and that seems to be lacking in this version.  I'll still tune in because I like David Tennant, but I'm hoping this gets better.

• Love 2

I also didn't watch Broadchurch, but not for lack of trying! It's not available on Hulu, Netflix or Amazon Prime. I really do want to see it.

I didn't have a problem with Tennant's accent. I was a little annoyed with the opening scene with the dad walking down the street and knowing/talking to EVERYONE, but that's why I don't like super small towns. I like some anonymity. It also does seem like a really weird coincidence that the police department hired someone who has experience and skills to solve a murder one week before the murder. I wish he had been brought in after the murder because they knew they were in over their heads.

• Love 1

Even one of my favorite actors, Nick Nolte, doesn't seem as menacing as Game of Thrones Frey w/a gajillion wives.

This isn't really spoilery, but, just in case:

I didn't think David Bradley was particularly menacing on Broadchurch. I thought he came off as really pathetic, even in the beginning. That said, I do think the association with Walder Frey on GoT made him instantly seem like he had to be the villain.

I thought it was pretty good, but I have never seen Broadchurch so I have no preconceived opinions about it. 

As for why they would re-make a British show - not everyone gets BBC America. (I do, but that's beside the point). I think it's naive to think that these days anyone can watch anything they want. Not everyone has a cable package that includes BBC America, or a satellite dish, and hell even if they can watch it online somewhere how would they know about it? We're not quite a global TV community, just yet. We're getting there but we've not yet reached the point where foreign TV shows are universally accessible.

My main concern is that, despite the promise of making this a 10-and-done miniseries, the Fox network will try to keep it going if it does well enough. See: Under the Dome. That's sort of the nature of broadcast networks, they don't really do limited-run series anymore, it's not profitable. If they can find a reason to keep this thing going as long as possible, they will.

• Love 6

I haven't watched the first episode yet, but I loved Broadchurch.  What I don't understand is why, when there is a big, hit British show that US networks want to bring over, why don't they just import the original?  I know that BBC America does that, but why couldn't Fox have just aired Broadchurch?  American shows go overseas and do well, why wouldn't the reverse hold true?  It's not even as if there is a language barrier.  I would think the novelty alone might bring viewers in at leas at first.  It's just unfortunate that American network execs keep trying to "Americanize" these imports with remakes (Coupling, Life on Mars, etc.) because they usually end up ruining them in the process.  

I'm not saying that is the case here, since I haven't watched it yet. 

• Love 5