Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: S02 Vengeance

Spartacus realizes that becoming the leader of a mass of freed slaves can be challenging and he struggles to keep the rebellious group intact when news of Claudius Glaber's arrival in Capua reaches him.

Spartacus and his men liberate a Roman villa, but its slaves are wary. Oenomaus throws himself into the brutal Pits, and Glaber supports Lucretia’s prophecies, despite Ilithyia’s protests.

I think the reason I liked Gods of the Arena so much is that it gave me a much needed break from Spartacus always acting like he is the only one that has ever suffered greatly at the hands of a Roman.  Good for Mira for telling him off and letting him know there are more people in the world then him.  And for Aurelia giving him a very serious reality check with her last breath.  When even Crixus, though personally motivated himself, is more reasonable it is time to pay attention, dude.  I mean at least Crixus' personal motivation involves trying to save a life then destroy a single someone when it is really the system itself that is to blame.

There, had to get that out of my system.  A leader should look after his peeps, not be all I me my all the time.  Everyone in your rag tag group has suffered a lot in life under the Romans too.  Yeah I'm sure he will grow but the writers' choice of making him so self-obsessed which always puts others at risk does annoy me.  I prefer the leader of a revolt to be a little more rational and visionary than this.  So get it together, Spartacus.

Meanwhile, in this corner, returning for Team Roman after her near death experience -- Lucretia the Prophetess (or whatever she is).  Can't get rid of her that easy can you, Ilithyia.  Loved when Ilithyia first saw her and screamed and Glaber's second-in-command asked what was that and Glaber answered something about with Ilithyia who ever knew.  So true.  And they are so made for each other.

In other news, the gladiator games have apparently become a bore without House Batiatus' elite "arena gods."  Too bad Batiatus isn't still around to gloat at that.  (I miss John Hannah already).

Speaking of missing.  Nice for the show to give Andy Whitfield a full card/picture and words of tribute instead of the usual American way of a brief flash of white letters on black that are gone before you notice.

So next week the two episodes start at 7 PM they said on the previews?  Really?  Wow, good thing I caught the previews or I would never know.  SyFy is such a pain with it's schedule changes.

Edited by green
  • Love 2

"A Place in This World"  I noticed and appreciated the title this time around since the theme of the episode seems to be how people enslaved most of their lives can have a hard time coming to grip with sudden liberation.  A very good theme to explore since it is usually overlooked.  Freedom can be a scary thing.  And having found your identity through your owner for years makes it hard to find it on your own that easily.  Because it means you have to accept that you basically spent most of your life to date not really living.   Great to see the twin storylines address this.   The good Doctore isn't doing too well so far.  But at least the younger Nasir is a quicker learner and happy to leave his "Tiberius" incarnation behind sooner than later.  Welcome aboard, Nasir.

Also the former blonde-haired slave woman shows how freedom is pretty complicated if you are female.  It wasn't an age where a woman alone had much chance to survive on their own so "freedom" doesn't make everything peachy keen necessarily.

Agron got a few funny lines in this one including one about finding himself agreeing with the f***ing Gaul, Crixus, at one point.  Also another guy who volunteers to join Spartacus, Agron and others having Crixus' back at the house of ill repute.  "You had me with whores."

Yes Ilithyia.  Not only is Lucretia back but she gets to go around and bless people as they pretty much worship her.  Jealous much?

And old home week wouldn't be complete without the re-appearance of our favorite slime ball in the form of Ashur.  Well he did save the Doctore's life ... but probably not out of altruism.

Still miss John Hannah's Batiatus on the show.  Glaber can never be the schemer Batiatus was.

And again.  Why is Spartacus starting at 7 PM next week?  Will it be at 7 PM the rest of the way?  It's just more late night fare than 7 PM fare.

Edited by green
  • Love 2

Yes to @green's whole post.

Nice to see a bit of backstory on Oenomaus and his early days with the Batiatus family, and how his talks with the elder B. affected him.

Loved the reveal of Ashur under that shawl.  I didn't see that coming, and was delighted.  Also liked the scene with Illythia and Lucretia.  Their scenes together are golden.  

at least the younger Nasir is a quicker learner and happy to leave his "Tiberius" incarnation behind sooner than later.  Welcome aboard, Nasir.

Yes, I like Nasir.  I thought at first that the references to him being Syrian, along with his own references to having a brother, as well as the reference someone (I forget whether it was Agron or Crixus)  made to "the last Syrian I knew back in Capua" were setting up a reveal that Nasir was going to be the brother of Ashur.  But by the end of the episode it didn't seem to be heading that way. 

Why is Spartacus starting at 7 PM next week?  Will it be at 7 PM the rest of the way?  It's just more late night fare than 7 PM fare.

I think that's only for the month of October, while Syfy is doing their 13 Days of Halloween.  Other shows on their channel have gotten shunted to new spots, too.  I don't know if I'll be catching all of the October episodes, because the kids are still up at that hour, and this show is not for little eyes. 

Speaking of not appropriate for 7PM - it looks like the fight scenes season are going back to the level of bloody intensity that they were the first season.  The Gods of the Arena season didn't seem as bad. (I guess it helps when the main deaths of the season are done by poisoning.)   But there was a moment at the beginning of this one that I completely looked away from, and I think my DH may have curled up into a fetal position.  Fighting was brutal.

• Love 2

I agree with green's analysis of life post-slavery.  I don't think I've ever seen it explored to that extent on similar shows. 

I miss Batiatus too.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 2

I thought the look on Ilythyia's face was kind of funny when she was interrupted from slicing Lucretia by the slave girl.  I like jealous Ilythyia; it suits her perfectly.

I think I missed something while I was folding clothes, but when Ashur revealed himself under the hood, was Oenomaus kneeling next to him, or did I imagine that?  How did Ashur save Oenomaus's life?

I don't know many of the new characters' names, but the young princess girl with brunette hair is really annoying.  I don't like her at all and she speaks with a semi-lisp. 

• Love 2

Ashur killed the guy about to kill the Doctore by throwing some knives maybe (missed the details myself) into his back or back of the neck.

The Roman girl's name is Seppia.  Her brother's name is Seppius.  Fun factoid.  All Roman names had a male and female ending so no such thing as a male only or female only name since the root of the name is the same.  Like Julius/Julia and Antonius/Antonia and Lucius/Lucia etc.

Edited by green
  • Love 1

Speaking of not appropriate for 7PM - it looks like the fight scenes season are going back to the level of bloody intensity that they were the first season.  The Gods of the Arena season didn't seem as bad. (I guess it helps when the main deaths of the season are done by poisoning.)   But there was a moment at the beginning of this one that I completely looked away from, and I think my DH may have curled up into a fetal position.  Fighting was brutal.

Well you can watch it for free online to catch up on some episodes if needed.

Also last night -- Friday -- I noticed they had repeats on SyFy at maybe 11 PM?  (or was it 10 PM?).  It wasn't the current episodes and was a single episode so it lags the original SyFy shows some.  Last night they had on the Gods of the Arena one where Gaia is killed by Tullius at the end -- Beneath the Mask.

I haven't looked up SyFy's schedule online so don't know if this is the only time they repeat episodes but I think this one was like 4 episodes behind the main double episode night right now.  Two more Gods of the Arena ones then on to the Vengeance season.  Of course they would fall further and further behind with just one episode at this time but it certainly is on later at night.

Edited by green
  • Love 1
(edited)

Spartacus is forced to mediate when the gladiators are close to divide into groups after news of Naevia's fate reaches them. Lucretia exchanges a long-held secret for some information and an attack puts the rebels at risk.

ETA: Sorry, this was supposed to be episode three. Can a mod fix the title?

Edited by Meushell

Well so much for the Doctore not knowing about his wife and Gannicus.  Guy can't catch a break.  And who else but Ashur would do such a thing.  Oh Ashur is there nothing evil you won't do?  At least you, upon threat of death, removed the mark of the brotherhood aka the giant Batiatus "B" from your wrist.  That was a bit of a ouchie for you but I'm not kissing it to make it better for you.

Glaber is no Batiatus.  Totally on the JV Squad for scheming and such.  Ilithyia runs circles around him.  And Ilithyia, Lucretia isn't playing with a full deck half the time these days.  She has no idea why you are so pissed at her.  Neither do I since Glaber already knows what you did to Crassus' niece.  Then I remember oh yeah Big Daddy and everyone else doesn't so guess you do have a point on keeping it on the down low after all.  And, you know, the annoyance of having been blackmailed and made a gopher for House Batiatus in the recent past.

Not cool, Agron.  Might be for the "greater good" but each person has a right to decide what the greater good is and, like Spartacus said, if one person no longer matters then who matters.  Good of Nasir to tell Crixus the truth and volunteer to go along and help too.

Welcome new actor who plays Naevia this season.  Read the original had another project and instead of just changing the script and killing off Naevia between seasons the writers kept the character around and found a good, competent replacement actor for the character.  Good for them.  Nice tender moment from the usually macho Crixus in the mines when he finds her too.

• Love 1

This wasn't one of the better episodes to watch for me.  It was more a transition one and seemed to be more needed for the Roman side of the story to catch up as it were.  

So the Spartacus side of the narrative ended up being a chase through an endless forest forever with occasional Romans dropping in and killing off "red shirt" gladiators.  Good moment when Mira goes all ninja and jumps the Roman ready to kill Naevia though.  Naevia is too messed up from her horrible rape and torment in the recent past to fend much for herself right now but she came out of it long enough to save Nasir's life by the sealing the wound with fire advice.  Slow steps, Naevia.  Takes time for you to heal.  Ashur had his evil bits to throw in on this storyline track too and so like him to kill the Roman officer in charge at the end when Mr Roman went all "duty" on him.  Ashur is for Ashur.

But the main storyline in this episode centered on the Romans since it was the one that needed to advance.  Spartacus just has to see Vesuvius ahead and done and done for their storyline this time around.

Meanwhile you can't keep up with the plots and schemes going on in ye old ludus without a program.  Buy your souvenir "Romans With Plots" program right here folks.  It like there is Glaber, Ilithyia, Lucertia, Varinius, Seppia, Seppius, Ilithyia's daddy and assorted others all skulking and scheming about in ways hard to keep track of.  Trying to figure this out by remembering what I can here.

Let's see, Ilithyia seemed to be rather busy.  Varinius looks a better catch now then boring Glaber but she is pregnant and married to the latter.  But Seppia is flirting with Varinius and no way will Ilithyia lose him to that mere girl.

Glaber wants to remain in good graces with his rival politically (and unknowingly, for Ilithyia), Varinius.  He didn't catch Spartacus but got a silver for Crixus, right?  What?  These guys don't seem to care about Crixus?  Well maybe an offering of human sacrifice will appease them.

On the other hand Lucretia does care very much for Crixus but not in the way you would want given their parting at the time of the massacre .  So things don't look good for Crixus.  Or for poor Oenomaus for that matter.

But they ended up looking a lot worse for "red shirt" gladiator Lucretia chose for human sacrifice at the orgy ... errr dinner party.  And Seppia's "I'm a bad ass" act came crashing down at that point too as Ilithyia showed her what a for real bad ass can do with a sword especially since Varinius was getting so turned on by same.

But that's okay, Seppia.  Your brother, Seppius, will always take you to his bed and truth be known he was getting a little jealous of you looking at other men.

Then Lucretia decided to help Ilithiya land Varinius by bedding Ilithyia's father to talk him into allowing a divorce for Ilithyia.  Which lead to an ever so slight misunderstanding on Ilithyia's part when she sees them in the act.  Which almost lead to an encore of "What I Do With Heads of People That Offend Me."  But turns out Lucretia loves her bestest friend ever and Ilithyia decides to let someone live that evening.  Meanwhile Glaber the Slow-Witted remains clueless about it all.

Whew, those Romans had a busy day.  Now that they caught up with their storyline things are really starting to cook.  Next week, on to Vesuvius it would seem for the rag tag rebel band.  And Guess Who Is Coming to Capua?  (No spoiler attempt here, just meant as a teaser).

Edited by green
  • Love 2

Ah, Ok, thanks.  Seppia and Seppius.  I got an incest vibe from them, although that wasn't uncommon during that time, correct?

Actually it was pretty uncommon I think.  Over a hundred years later Rome was scandalize by the Emperor Caligula having an affair with his own sister.  And the old Republic was far less hedonistic than in Caligula's time.  But then this show tends to show a more Hollywoodized Caligula Era type of Roman society.  Makes for better TV I guess they figure.

Edited by green
(edited)

I like Liam. It's still sad when we jump from Andy to Liam, but I thought Liam did a good job in a very difficult situation. It's still a bit amazing to me, how much Andy and Liam look alike.

Funny how they introduce Donar. Like, "Oh, yeah, remember him? Okay, we wasn't here in the previous seasons, but let's all pretend he was." They had me fooled the first time I saw this. I thought he had been a background character that I had not noticed.

With the rebels, I do like the divide between the men. Rather realistic that they are not all unified. I also like that "You want to lead my men" was basically met with "No, your men were being assholes..." except, in a more polite manner. It also amuses me that after having to share food, Crixus' men went whining to him.

Aw, Glaber. He's all set to put Capula and Spartacus behind him. Basically let others worry about the situation. Then he has to go back.

Poor Naevia. Between seasons, I had wondered what was done with her. I figured she had been sold off, which was bad enough, but I hadn't pictured anything that bad.

I like the scene where Lucretia asks about water.

Aurelia, yikes. Back when the show was first airing, season 2 preview included a shot of a shackled bloodied ankle and foot. It was very surprising to learn that it was her. The way she stood, hunched over and weak, was hard to watch. At least she got away before dying. Being Varro's wife though, I had thought she was going to last longer.

I think the reason I liked Gods of the Arena so much is that it gave me a much needed break from Spartacus always acting like he is the only one that has ever suffered greatly at the hands of a Roman.  Good for Mira for telling him off and letting him know there are more people in the world then him.  And for Aurelia giving him a very serious reality check with her last breath.  When even Crixus, though personally motivated himself, is more reasonable it is time to pay attention, dude.  I mean at least Crixus' personal motivation involves trying to save a life then destroy a single someone when it is really the system itself that is to blame.

There, had to get that out of my system.  A leader should look after his peeps, not be all I me my all the time.  Everyone in your rag tag group has suffered a lot in life under the Romans too.  Yeah I'm sure he will grow but the writers' choice of making him so self-obsessed which always puts others at risk does annoy me.  I prefer the leader of a revolt to be a little more rational and visionary than this.  So get it together, Spartacus.

Meanwhile, in this corner, returning for Team Roman after her near death experience -- Lucretia the Prophetess (or whatever she is).  Can't get rid of her that easy can you, Ilithyia.  Loved when Ilithyia first saw her and screamed and Glaber's second-in-command asked what was that and Glaber answered something about with Ilithyia who ever knew.  So true.  And they are so made for each other.

You know Spartacus is going off the deep end with Crixus is making more sense than he is. Lol. When the show first aired, a lot of people felt the same you did, especially back in season 1. I like that Spartacus is taking time to grow into his role though. I also enjoy Mira being the voice of reason. Kind of sucks for the people who have to die for him to learn something though.

The whole scene with how Lucretia was found was great. "Kill it! Kill it!" Also, loved Glaber's facial expression when he saw her.

I don't know many of the new characters' names, but the young princess girl with brunette hair is really annoying.  I don't like her at all and she speaks with a semi-lisp. 

It took me a couple of viewing to like her. Maybe she needs to grow on you. Lol. I don't think she's a popular character though.

Ah, Ok, thanks.  Seppia and Seppius.  I got an incest vibe from them, although that wasn't uncommon during that time, correct?

Definitely an incest vibe between these two. I wish they had done more with it.

Edited by Meushell
  • Love 2

Good point about Spartacus growing into his role.  Just wish he did it faster or more stoically or with less whining at least.

Is Donar the one that hangs out around Agron a lot?

I had hoped that Aurelia too would have lasted longer.  She and her son could have been the token "good Romans" that join in the revolt.

• Love 2

Poor Oenomaus (sadly, I still have to copy and paste this guy's name, which is why I usually just say "Doctore"). They did a good job with casting someone who looks like a younger version. His age surprised me though. I always pictured him entering the house at a much younger age. Actually, I pictured him being born there, then being selected as a gladiator trainee by Titus. Batiatus did they they grew up together in that house, didn't he? They seemed like near adults (in that time) when they met.

"A Place in This World"  I noticed and appreciated the title this time around since the theme of the episode seems to be how people enslaved most of their lives can have a hard time coming to grip with sudden liberation.  A very good theme to explore since it is usually overlooked.  Freedom can be a scary thing.  And having found your identity through your owner for years makes it hard to find it on your own that easily.  Because it means you have to accept that you basically spent most of your life to date not really living.   Great to see the twin storylines address this.   The good Doctore isn't doing too well so far.  But at least the younger Nasir is a quicker learner and happy to leave his "Tiberius" incarnation behind sooner than later.  Welcome aboard, Nasir.

Also the former blonde-haired slave woman shows how freedom is pretty complicated if you are female.  It wasn't an age where a woman alone had much chance to survive on their own so "freedom" doesn't make everything peachy keen necessarily.

Chadara's introduction, being raped by her Dominus, is a sad but very telling of her character. Then when she is freed, she isn't treated much better. I enjoy Mira doing her best to look after her though. Reminds me of when Mira looked after Aurelia when she first became a slave.

Nasir though, after being freed, is immediately taught how to fight. Right away, he's given much more of a purpose. That and bonding with Agron over lost brothers probably helped him regain his real identity.

• Love 2

Poor Oenomaus (sadly, I still have to copy and paste this guy's name, which is why I usually just say "Doctore").

Heh, me too.  When I google "Spartacus TV cast" and the Google link page comes up with all the portraits across the screen unfortunately Oenomaus is ID'ed as Doctore.  So his name is the one main name I'm always fishing through old posts to find and it is the hardest to remember how to spell too.  Or i just use Doctore too like you said.

Chadara then.  Didn't know the blonde former slave woman's name so thanks.  Rascus is it that she hooks up with for protection?  Sounds something like that maybe?  Think he is one of the Gauls?

• Love 2

Chadara then. Didn't know the blonde former slave woman's name so thanks. Rascus is it that she hooks up with for protection? Sounds something like that maybe? Think he is one of the Gauls?

I use Spartacus wikia, but to anyone who hasn't seen every episode, it contains spoilers.

Rhaskos. One of the Gauls, yes. He was in Blood and Sand, but he didn't really do anything memorable. In Gods of the Arena, he was the one ordered to rape Diona. In Vengeance, he was the main one who didn't want to share food earlier.

• Love 2

Thanks for the synopsis. :)

I know Naevia had been through hell, but I was upset with her for screaming in the forest.  I was yelling for her to STFU!  She really annoyed me until she came up with the cauterizing idea for that guy's wounds.

That poor redshirt guy.  I thought when Illithya stuck the sword in him, he would finally be out of his misery.  But no.....he was still alive.

Welcome new actor who plays Naevia this season.

I thought she looked different!  The actress was just ok to me, but I know she's supposed to be under duress and so I'll wait to see how she fares in future episodes.  I think I liked the other Naevia better though. 

I think Nasir is becoming one of my favorite characters.  Good for him for telling Crixus the truth about Naevia, and for choosing the side that went after her. 

Crixus, OTOH, I keep waffling on.  I hate him sometimes because of some of the things he's done, but I do like his relationships with several of the others.  (He's not dead, right?  They wouldn't kill him off as soon as Naevia is found, would they?  I should plan to never root for a happy ending for any of the couples in this saga, should I?)

I also liked this exchange (paraphrased):

C: Do you know why I distrusted you?

N: Because I tried to kill Spartacus?

C: Nah, it's not that.  I've tried to kill him a few times myself.

I like the new guy playing Spartacus, but I'm not used to him yet.  There are moments when I'll find myself wondering "who's that guy?" and then I'll remember it's Spartacus.  AW must have made a real impact on me in the role.

Well so much for the Doctore not knowing about his wife and Gannicus.  Guy can't catch a break.  And who else but Ashur would do such a thing.  Oh Ashur is there nothing evil you won't do?

Yeah, poor Oenomaus.  I usually get a kick out of Ashur's villainy, but that was harsh.  

Lucretia isn't playing with a full deck half the time these days.

She's not?  So that's not just an act on her part, then?  I thought maybe she was just doing what she had to in order to get by.  Is she actually going crazy or something?  

• Love 2

Well.  I was actually relieved that Crixus lived.  I thought Lucretia would want him dead and soon. Too bad for that other guy, though.

It is honestly disturbing watching Naevia.  She's understandably extremely traumatized by what happened to her, and the show isn't dismissing that part of the story.  Kudos for them for that, even though it's unsettling to watch.

And kudos to Mira, as well.  Because when you're being reminded of how horrifying the circumstances for slaves could get via one character, it's good from a story-telling POV to have another who kicks some ass. Granted, Mira wasn't raped and repeatedly assaulted and subjected to hard labor in the mines.  But she has been treated in a manner that stripped her of bodily autonomy and was essentially offered up to be raped back when they first sent her to Spartacus.  And I'm not meaning to mitigate the horror that the men were subjected to, either - it's just that we've already been seeing them fight against it and kick ass sometimes.  I appreciate that they're showing that the women could, too.  

Mira standing by Spartacus' side when they heard the sounds in the woods was a nice little moment.  Visually framed well, too, with the lighting.  Much better camera work than the slo-mo blood-spurting the showrunner seems so fond of.

Oh, Nasir.  Not that I'd expect medical care to be the best during a fight in the woods in ancient times, but ouch.  Nasir's gonna carry that scar for the rest of his life.  It was a nice moment for Naevia, though, to be able to help tend to him.  

And I ain't gonna lie - I cheered when we saw that those sounds in the woods were Agron and the others.  Apparently I really care that Spartacus' little group survives.  (I'm not spoiled, but I may be begging for reassurances that this group isn't going to die before the end of the season.)

Ashur is a weasel, but it's not like he didn't warn those soldiers that the gladiators were better-trained.  

I do still love both Lucretia and Ilithya (my gosh, do I ever spell her name right twice in a row?) but most of the other folks at the ludus are really bugging me.  I can't stand Glaber or Seppia or her creepy brother or Varinius.  And I realize I'm not supposed to like them anyway, but I find myself wishing the scenes would switch back to the people I actually like.  I think the starkness of the different lives is starting to get to me.  The women in the ludus are trying to make better lives for themselves in the ways available to them, but I can't feel much concern for them when it's shown against the awful situations Naevia and Mira live with.  And again, I don't mean to minimize the men's lives but this episode really highlighted the women, I think.   (I realize I should probably have some pity on Seppia, given the creepy brother situation, and maybe I would if the show introduced her at a different time.  Right now, I can only contrast her and the others to Naevia and Mira.)  So Ilithya's little games weren't as amusing to me as usual.  I'm curious about how she'll end up ridding herself of Glaber, though, since she seems determined to do so.

• Love 2

In an ironic twist of fate, a gladiator from the house of Batiatus will stand in the way of Spartacus trying to free Crixus from Roman captivity. Ilithyia's scheming puts her marriage to Glaber at risk.

Spartacus and his rebels train hard to keep their new sanctuary safe while Glaber's forces are made stronger with the enlistment of some new deadly recruits. Lucretia and Ilithyia become close again.

I enjoy the back and forth of Spartacus and Crixus supporting each other. I also enjoy Crixus' speech when the Gauls wanted to know his plans. It's almost on the line of "Holy crap, I can't even mourn on my own without these guys bothering me."

Well so much for the Doctore not knowing about his wife and Gannicus.  Guy can't catch a break.  And who else but Ashur would do such a thing.  Oh Ashur is there nothing evil you won't do?  At least you, upon threat of death, removed the mark of the brotherhood aka the giant Batiatus "B" from your wrist.  That was a bit of a ouchie for you but I'm not kissing it to make it better for you.

Glaber is no Batiatus.  Totally on the JV Squad for scheming and such.  Ilithyia runs circles around him.  And Ilithyia, Lucretia isn't playing with a full deck half the time these days.  She has no idea why you are so pissed at her.  Neither do I since Glaber already knows what you did to Crassus' niece.  Then I remember oh yeah Big Daddy and everyone else doesn't so guess you do have a point on keeping it on the down low after all.  And, you know, the annoyance of having been blackmailed and made a gopher for House Batiatus in the recent past.

Not cool, Agron.  Might be for the "greater good" but each person has a right to decide what the greater good is and, like Spartacus said, if one person no longer matters then who matters.  Good of Nasir to tell Crixus the truth and volunteer to go along and help too.

Welcome new actor who plays Naevia this season.  Read the original had another project and instead of just changing the script and killing off Naevia between seasons the writers kept the character around and found a good, competent replacement actor for the character.  Good for them.  Nice tender moment from the usually macho Crixus in the mines when he finds her too.

Ashur getting a sore arm while Oemomaus has barely flinched from the whip was amusing. Ashur, the man you are whipping outlasted you. That's just pathetic. It sucks that Oemomaus learned the truth about Melitta/Gannicus, but I suppose it had to happen. As for Ashur and the "B," well, I admit, I hate Ashur, but I felt sorry for him there. Also, I always turn away from that scene. Yech!

I like Glaber (as a bad guy). He and Illithyia seemed to love each other in the beginning of season 1. I kind of wonder if the writers changed their relationship, which we started seeing in season 1, to avoid Batiatus/Lucretia comparisons.

Aw, new Naevia. The only issue I had with the change of actress was that, since they announced the change before this season started, the death fake didn't work. Of course, that had nothing to do with the actress herself and it is certainly not her fault. The show did have a flashback between Crixus and new Naevia. (I don't recall seeing it this time though, so I think Syfy cut it), which gave the idea that maybe the new actress was just hired for flashbacks.

I like the whole scene of the mines. Mira putting herself in danger to help save the mission, and she gets herself out of danger, along with information and a map. Yea Mira! Spartacus telling the miners to survive long enough for him to return for them. Then Naevia. She seems to be in a sort of shock as they go through the mines. Pushing out what is really happening around her probably helped her survive, and it takes Crixus being in danger to break her out of that state. I also kind of wonder who the random person was who tried to defend Naevia when the group approached her. Mira navigating with that little map, in near darkness, while being pursued. Funny that Spartcus tells her to hurry, then takes her to take a breath and think. I guess he realized that rushing her won't help. Lol.

She's not?  So that's not just an act on her part, then?  I thought maybe she was just doing what she had to in order to get by.  Is she actually going crazy or something?  

Back when this first aired, people wondered, "Is she faking it, or is she actually crazy?" Now you get to wonder. :)

I like Nasir as well. It's pretty amusing how he first gets our notice with attempting to kill Spartacus, and now he's one of the most loyal men.

• Love 1

Is it wrong that all the anti-Naevia guys getting killed kind of amuses me? I mean, I get their frustration and all. Still, when you compare them to every other rebel, Spartacus and his group on the run, Crixus and his captured group, they really come across as whiny.

Love Mira's jump attack. She continues to be awesome.

So does Nasir. He learns they are going to use fire to close his wound, and he responds with how he's to be branded like a true Gladiator. What a great attitude.

But they ended up looking a lot worse for "red shirt" gladiator Lucretia chose for human sacrifice at the orgy ... errr dinner party.  And Seppia's "I'm a bad ass" act came crashing down at that point too as Ilithyia showed her what a for real bad ass can do with a sword especially since Varinius was getting so turned on by same.

But that's okay, Seppia.  Your brother, Seppius, will always take you to his bed and truth be known he was getting a little jealous of you looking at other men.

It took me a while to warm up to Seppius and Seppia, and honestly, their scenes together amuse me more than with anyone else. I do like Seppia's reaction as Acer (the red shirt) manages to get his head up to look at her.

Poor Acer. When I think of an example of violence on this ship, this scene is what comes to mind. Just tied up and helpless as they cut him to death.

That poor redshirt guy.  I thought when Illithya stuck the sword in him, he would finally be out of his misery.  But no.....he was still alive.

Though it wasn't her intent, Illithya did Acer a favor. The way they were cutting on him though, I don't think he would have survived much longer.

It is honestly disturbing watching Naevia.  She's understandably extremely traumatized by what happened to her, and the show isn't dismissing that part of the story.  Kudos for them for that, even though it's unsettling to watch.

And kudos to Mira, as well.  Because when you're being reminded of how horrifying the circumstances for slaves could get via one character, it's good from a story-telling POV to have another who kicks some ass. Granted, Mira wasn't raped and repeatedly assaulted and subjected to hard labor in the mines.  But she has been treated in a manner that stripped her of bodily autonomy and was essentially offered up to be raped back when they first sent her to Spartacus.  And I'm not meaning to mitigate the horror that the men were subjected to, either - it's just that we've already been seeing them fight against it and kick ass sometimes.  I appreciate that they're showing that the women could, too.  

Mira standing by Spartacus' side when they heard the sounds in the woods was a nice little moment.  Visually framed well, too, with the lighting.  Much better camera work than the slo-mo blood-spurting the showrunner seems so fond of.

(I realize I should probably have some pity on Seppia, given the creepy brother situation, and maybe I would if the show introduced her at a different time.  Right now, I can only contrast her and the others to Naevia and Mira.)

Naevia was handled very well.

I'm pretty sure Mira was raped, and probably for years. A different situation than Naevia though, and of course, no one handles things the same way. I suspect that's part of why she's quick to protect other women. She doesn't want them to go through what she went through (like sending Aurelia to do a chore when Ashur took an interest in her) and is able to sympathize with them when they are punished/abused/etc. (like she's doing with Naevia now).

Seppius doesn't really come off as creepy to me. The way she teased him about being "woefully unattended" in an earlier episode, I got the impression that she enjoys his not-so-brotherly affections. I don't think she even really considered other men until talking to Illithya.

• Love 2

I think I have officially fallen in love with this show.  Or at least with this season of the show.  I feel as if the previous two seasons were just groundwork and they came together in this episode, at least in my mind - because realizing that Spartacus is now leading his band with Oenomaus, Crixus, Agron and Gannicus all in the mix?  That's a pretty good payoff right there. 

Crixus doesn't like Agron, Agron doesn't think much of Gannicus, Gannicus isn't impressed with any of them, and Spartacus has become the voice of reason.  This is an entertaining pack.

Mira is awesome.  Her response when Gannicus was telling Spartacus that the slaves wouldn't be able to do much:  "Did you miss the part where we burned down the arena?"  Well, she gave all the credit to Spartacus, but she totally should have said "we", because she did more than her share in making that happen.

I love Agron and Nasir together.  Agron on his own is one of the characters that I alternately like and dislike - more on the "like" side, since he brings some comic relief.  But he and Nasir light up the screen when they smile at each other.

And Crixus and Naevia - they really may break my heart.  I may have shed a tear when she first sees him arrive safe and sound at their sanctuary and runs to him. But Naevia has apparently moved into a new stage of dealing with her PTSD.  I'm not sure he's the best one to teach her how to fight, though.  She should get Mira to do it instead.  

Sorry to lose Chadara (sp?),  even though I knew she was the one who stole the map.  

Meantime, over at the villa...  people are being murdered like there's a season finale in sight.  I thought sure Seppius would last another episode or two.  I'm guessing this means Glaber is going to try to bed Seppia.  

And Ashur actually raped Lucretia.  Of course, that was horrible.

A couple of questions:

Who was down the well?

Did the elder official say that Ilithyia would be inheriting her father's duties when she came of age?  I feel like I missed something there.  

• Love 3

A couple of questions:

Who was down the well?

Did the elder official say that Ilithyia would be inheriting her father's duties when she came of age?  I feel like I missed something there.  

Question 1: "The Egyptian" was down the well.  That's how Ashur referred to him anyway.  Apparently he is the biggest bad ass of the bad ass ex-gladiators Ashur recruited into his private little army.  And these guys are suppose to be ex-gladiators cause only such can fight fellow gladiators at an equal level though Varinius mentioned at the arena that the only gladiator to earn his freedom in Capua was Gannicus.  I'll go with continuity error and/or fudge factor rather then make up something in my mind to explain why these guys are running around loose in Capua.

Question 2: The official said that Ilithyia's son would.  And meant he would be inheriting her father's wealth and titles at that point giving him access to becoming a Senator easily etc.  Probably because he would be the one male "blood" heir of age to her father at that point.  And I think they are assuming he is a son because he "kicks hard" as they mentioned in an earlier episode.  Anyway it is bad news for Glaber who would have rather been the one inheriting everything.

As for this episode.  Man did Ashur have a field day.  When you feel sorry for Lucretia you know Ashur's been a bad bad boy.  Then he finally gets to be his dream of an alpha gladiator making mincemeat of three of Glaber's men.  And gets to shrug it off mentioning he was considered the least in the ludus which, when you win like that, is more a bragging right then humility.  Then he gets his own micro-army to lead of evil ex-gladiators featuring "the Egyptian" and "tatoo guy" amongst others.  And, bonus round, he gets a super cool golden serpent bracelet as a freebie off of Seppius.  Could things go any better for our favorite slimeball?

Speaking of bad asses, Glaber the Formerly Clueless is feeling all big and bad this episode.  No more Mr Nice Glaber.  And though he will never be the master schemer running intricate subroutines in his mental software brain like Batiatus.  Well he at least does learn that Ashur, with some muscle backing him, knows how to take down a rival Roman for him when needed.  Further he has brought Ilithyia to heel.  And with Varinius fled to Rome and Seppius "undoubtedly" killed by the Spartacus bunch who is top dog in Capua now?  I present to you Glaber the Mighty.

Meanwhile back at Lucius' ruined temple hideaway.  Oenomaus, I understand you are pissed off at Gannicus.  But let me tell you that 2000 years later we use a phrase that it "takes two to tango" and Gannicus is taking the whole guilt on himself 100% to leave you with a pure and unsullied vision of your late wife.  The wife that took the wine and key and went to Gannicus on her own free will.  But Gannicus won't tell you those details cause he feels guilty and cause he views you as his brother.  So give the guy a break.  He just helped save your life.

Summary of Crixus/Agron relationship:

Crixus:  Yeah like thanks for saving my life, bro.

Agron:  Yeah cool, like finally you say something sensible.

Crixus:  Except you still lied about Naevia being dead and I never would have been captured if you hadn't wimped out of the rescue party to the mines.  So there is still that.

Agron:  Eh, f**king Gauls.

The writing about the women in the group continues to be outstanding.  Very good writing/acting showing Naevia's post-traumatic fallout.  Mira tries to show Chandara (sp?) how to take charge of her life but Chandara can't make the adjustment.  When Gannicus wisely deflects her advances she ends up with Donner who thinks she just wanted a one night stand.  Or at least that was what he wanted.  So Chandara can't cope and decides to flee and try some Plan Z or something and Mira is forced to shoot Chandara.  Though when Lucius congratulated her on an excellent kill shot she says she actually was just trying to wound her and missed.  And tells the others that the reason for the betrayal was because Chandara never felt she "belonged" with the group which was sweet of her to say instead of just leaving it that she was a traitor period.

Edited by green
  • Love 4

Regarding the Oenomaus/Gannicus beef:  Ashur told Oenomaus about Melitta and Gannicus, but did Ashur tell the whole story about the two of them being forced to have sex?  Or did he only tell Oenomaus that Melitta died because she went to Gannicus' cell with the poisoned wine?  I think if Oenomaus had known the whole story, he wouldn't have felt so betrayed and been so pissed with Gannicus--or his wife, for that matter. 

• Love 4

This is one of my favorite most episodes of the series.

From the early "reveal" of the return of Gannicus complete with the rock star music motif theme they give him to the Capua arena falling down in flames what is not to love.

And just when Glaber can' t be any more out-schemed and humiliated by Ilithyia and company?  He gets to look up from his seat in the arena and see Spartacus staring at him.  Whizzzz, hot new scarface look for Glaber compliments of his favorite Thracian.  Then he runs into Albinius (Ilithia's father) whilst following the local fire exit signs of the day (cough) and daddy-in-law got a timber half-crushing him and asks please can Glaber help him so of course Glaber lifts the timber and ... what?  Really, Glaber?  He did say "please."  Does that not mean anything to you?  Oh I see, all crazed-eyes Glaber has finally gotten a clue. 

And Ilithyia, that won't be good for you.  Cause your hot new high climber Varinius isn't thrilled to learn that the old Senator won't now be able to dissolve your marriage and no way does he want to raise Glaber Junior either so back to Rome for Varinius leaving the "happy" couple of Glaber and Ilithyia still "coupled."

Meanwhile Former Gladiators 1, Romans 0.  After a sort of early rough reunion between Gannicus and Oenomaus anyway.  And Rasskus (sp?) doesn't live to see the win.  But given how it had been going, a massive win for Team Ex-Slaves.  I mean the whole f**king arena as Agron would say.  It was a glorious moment.

Guess most of the cuts in this episode to fit SyFy's schedule were between Gannicus and the prostitute cause I remembered a lot longer "visit" shall we call it from the download.  But I also remember an even deeper connection between them at a personal level since Gannicus seems to really like her as a person in her own right too as I recall.

Nice to have a basically feel good episode you can cheer some during.  Good one, show.

Edited by green
  • Love 3
Question 1: "The Egyptian" was down the well.  That's how Ashur referred to him anyway.  Apparently he is the biggest bad ass of the bad ass ex-gladiators Ashur recruited into his private little army.

Thanks.  I thought maybe I should have recognized the guy from one of the earlier seasons but couldn't place him.

Question 2: The official said that Ilithyia's son would.  And meant he would be inheriting her father's wealth and titles at that point giving him access to becoming a Senator easily etc.  Probably because he would be the one male "blood" heir of age to her father at that point.

Okay, that makes sense.   Thanks again. :)

Summary of Crixus/Agron relationship:

Crixus:  Yeah like thanks for saving my life, bro.

Agron:  Yeah cool, like finally you say something sensible.

Crixus:  Except you still lied about Naevia being dead and I never would have been captured if you hadn't wimped out of the rescue party to the mines.  So there is still that.

Agron:  Eh, f**king Gauls.

Yep.  And that's the show I love.

• Love 1

Ashur didn't tell Oenamaus that Melitta and Gannicus were originally forced to have sex. 

Speaking of Ashur's gang, the guy who played Gnaeus is in it.  He was also Liam MacIntyre's stunt double.  

Also, the guy who got his head stomped on in the bar was the same guy who played Caberus who Gannicus slew at the end of GOTA.  He was the big guy who got his lower jaw torn off.

A lot of people, especially guys, hated the way Naevia was written and played after GOTA.  It's almost like they thought the writers would have come up with a completely different storyline for her if Lesley Ann Brandt had stayed.

• Love 2

A lot of people, especially guys, hated the way Naevia was written and played after GOTA.  It's almost like they thought the writers would have come up with a completely different storyline for her if Lesley Ann Brandt had stayed.

Having seen all the episodes online I have to say I actually like the new actor better.  She just seems to have more true grit to her. 

If they would have made the storyline different then I'm glad the first actor left the role cause the writers are writing Naevia totally awesome this season dealing with real issues and being a far more complex, well-rounded human being. 

First season to me Naevia was too much shown as a mere plot device in the Crixus/Lucretia/Naevia storyline to move Crixus's development along.  Not a real person in and of herself.  But now she is showing the first glimmerings of coming back from a fate worse than death and coming into her own.

I don't mean to demean the first actor in the role.  I mean I hope she could have played Naevia as she is written going forward.  I hope she would have that range for a real human Naevia who is showing up in her own right starting with this season.  But I already know the second actor does.

Edited by green
  • Love 3

Gannicus leads the captive Ilithyia to the rebel camp. Ilithyia, pleading for her life and the life of her unborn child, reveals to Spartacus that the child she carries is not Glaber's, but his own child, conceived the night that Lucretia tricked her into laying with Spartacus. Ilithyia tries to convince Lucius to send word to Capua of her whereabouts, however, Spartacus enlists him to deliver a message to Glaber. Mira attempts to save Spartacus the burden of killing Ilithyia, but is stopped short. Meanwhile, Glaber and Ashur scour the town for clues about where Gannicus has taken Ilithyia, laying waste to every brothel, with Ashur collecting goods from every corpse. Lucretia tries to bring to bare with Seppia but gets nowhere, and turning to Ashur for help. But Lucretia notices while being raped that among Ashur's horde of jewels and gold is dead Seppius' gold twin snake armlet. About to confront Seppia with the news of Glaber being responsible for her brother's death, they are interrupted by Lucius and his message from Spartacus. The message is that in exchange for a wagon filled with arms and armor, the Rebels will release Ilithyia. Glaber appears to agree to the terms. At the agreed time and place, Glaber meets Spartacus with the wagon. After a heated exchange of words by hero and villain, treachery is revealed and the wagon is filled with Ashur and his mercenary band, including a burly and lethal Egyptian warrior, and an all-out battle occurs. Lucius is killed, but Spartacus and most of his men escape, and Glaber returns to Capua without Ilithyia. Lucretia finally reveals the depth of Glaber's vengeance and murderous deeds to Seppia. At the end, Spartacus releases Ilithyia in the woods after revealing to her that Glaber had no intention of saving her.

(Description from Wikipedia.)

Nice interaction between Lucius and the rebels.

Aww, Gannicus. I know you think you are giving them an honorable death, but they are really not going to agree with that assessment. Of course, Oenomaus knowing about him and Melitta doesn't help things. Still, Crixus' "Why is he doing this?" I mean, really, I know Ganicus' intent, but all he is really doing is showing Rome that the rebellion is wrong.

Ok. I admit it. I felt sorry for Glaber in this episode. Illithyia's treatment of him is just cold.

Mira is great in this episode. She shows herself to be a great leader, and she was smart in how to take out the arena. She picked the spot to burn, and she realized the support beams should be broken down. The burning of the arena is such an awesome scene. I think it was made better in that we saw it being built in Gods of the Arena.

Cossutius (aka, the one who took joy in raping Diona and watching her die) finally dies. I've read that he was to be killed with the spear going through his mouth, but it was too expensive. I was disappointed to hear that. Still, I do kind of like the idea that he didn't die right away. I imagine he laid there, watching as his fellow Romans left him, then could do nothing as the flames came closer and closer.

Bye bye Albinius. It does seem like Glaber's first reaction was to help, then sort of went, "Wait a moment," then killed him. I do enjoy Albinius' reaction when he realizes that the guy he's been pissing on is going to kill him. You know Albinius, you'd still be alive if you hadn't made Glaber return to Capua in the first place.

• Love 2

I think most of my post is going to be replying to others. Lol.

Glaber must have been tired of all the scheming around him because he really does take it up a notch this episode, combined with hostility and aggression.

Bye Seppius. You weren't very popular anyway.

The fight scene between Spartacus and Gannicus is kind of amusing. I mean, it's basically...

Gannicus: I'm not with you. Foolish rebellion.

*Stuff goes missing*

Gannicus: *To self* Hmm, while they are panicking, I'm going to take this time to leave without saying anything.

Spartacus: Did you steal from us?

Gannicus: Why would you suspect me?

Everyone else: Duh.

Mira is awesome.  Her response when Gannicus was telling Spartacus that the slaves wouldn't be able to do much:  "Did you miss the part where we burned down the arena?"  Well, she gave all the credit to Spartacus, but she totally should have said "we", because she did more than her share in making that happen.

I love Agron and Nasir together.  Agron on his own is one of the characters that I alternately like and dislike - more on the "like" side, since he brings some comic relief.  But he and Nasir light up the screen when they smile at each other.

And Crixus and Naevia - they really may break my heart.  I may have shed a tear when she first sees him arrive safe and sound at their sanctuary and runs to him. But Naevia has apparently moved into a new stage of dealing with her PTSD.  I'm not sure he's the best one to teach her how to fight, though.  She should get Mira to do it instead.  

Sorry to lose Chadara (sp?),  even though I knew she was the one who stole the map.  

And Ashur actually raped Lucretia.  Of course, that was horrible.

Yes, she could have said "we." I actually didn't catch that she didn't. I guess I just put "we" in place of "you" whenever I watched.

Agron took a while for me to like as well. In Season 1, he didn't really stand out that much. This season, I liked him early on as one of Spartacus' generals. Adding in a relationship with Nasir, a very likeable character, certainly helps. Speaking of Nasir, I enjoy how, while still bandaged, he comes out to the group, ready to go wherever they are headed.

Crixus and Naevia were handled very well. I enjoy him teaching her to fight. It adds a little something to their relationship. Mira is still learning to fight herself, and now she's taken up with learning the bow and arrow. I think Mira is a little too busy to be teaching. :) It would be nice to see more Mira/Naevia scenes.

Also, yikes Mira. Couldn't you just point out Chadara's actions instead of shooting at her? I mean, there were enough people next to her to grab her. It is nice to see that Nasir wasn't the only one who reacted though. Mira felt bad that she actually killed her. Donar, having rejected her after their one night stand, also looks sad about her death.

Ashur may be somewhat of a victim of circumstance, but he really is easy to hate.

Question 1: "The Egyptian" was down the well.  That's how Ashur referred to him anyway.  Apparently he is the biggest bad ass of the bad ass ex-gladiators Ashur recruited into his private little army.  And these guys are suppose to be ex-gladiators cause only such can fight fellow gladiators at an equal level though Varinius mentioned at the arena that the only gladiator to earn his freedom in Capua was Gannicus.  I'll go with continuity error and/or fudge factor rather then make up something in my mind to explain why these guys are running around loose in Capua.

Meanwhile back at Lucius' ruined temple hideaway.  Oenomaus, I understand you are pissed off at Gannicus.  But let me tell you that 2000 years later we use a phrase that it "takes two to tango" and Gannicus is taking the whole guilt on himself 100% to leave you with a pure and unsullied vision of your late wife.  The wife that took the wine and key and went to Gannicus on her own free will.  But Gannicus won't tell you those details cause he feels guilty and cause he views you as his brother.  So give the guy a break.  He just helped save your life.

I think that's why these new ex-gladiators annoy me, especially when I first watched the series. Theokoles seemed to have his reputation earned by people talking about him beforehand. These guys just showed up out of the blue were all "Look, we're the new badasses."

As for Oenomaus and Gannicus, I'll get to that in the next quote. :)

Regarding the Oenomaus/Gannicus beef:  Ashur told Oenomaus about Melitta and Gannicus, but did Ashur tell the whole story about the two of them being forced to have sex?  Or did he only tell Oenomaus that Melitta died because she went to Gannicus' cell with the poisoned wine?  I think if Oenomaus had known the whole story, he wouldn't have felt so betrayed and been so pissed with Gannicus--or his wife, for that matter. 

Ashur kind of hinted at it. He kind of pointed to a room and said they performed for entertainment there, or something on those lines. Then he emphasized the whole willing relationship aspect, and the night of Melitta's death. Honestly, I missed the first bit the first time I saw the episode, so I can only imagine that Oenomaus did as well. The guy was just tortured after all.

That's why Gannicus kind of bugs me with this. I know he doesn't want to put any blame on Melitta, and he might not want to share that she (and he) was/were raped, but he's begging for forgiveness without being honest about the whole thing. At this point, telling the whole truth isn't betraying her. It would explaining a whole lot to her husband.

It'd probably also redirect a lot of Oenomaus' anger. Even after finding out a lot of what Batiatus did, he put a lot of blame on Ashur for it. (Not that Ashur isn't a scumbag in his own right, but I do believe Oenomaus gave him more than his fair share of blame.) If he knew the truth about the rape, he'd finally realize what kind of person Batiatus was.

This is sadly, very true. There were even people angry with this episode that Naevia didn't kill herself.

Having seen all the episodes online I have to say I actually like the new actor better.  She just seems to have more true grit to her. 

If they would have made the storyline different then I'm glad the first actor left the role cause the writers are writing Naevia totally awesome this season dealing with real issues and being a far more complex, well-rounded human being. 

First season to me Naevia was too much shown as a mere plot device in the Crixus/Lucretia/Naevia storyline to move Crixus's development along.  Not a real person in and of herself.  But now she is showing the first glimmerings of coming back from a fate worse than death and coming into her own.

I don't mean to demean the first actor in the role.  I mean I hope she could have played Naevia as she is written going forward.  I hope she would have that range for a real human Naevia who is showing up in her own right starting with this season.  But I already know the second actor does.

I find I prefer Naevia 2 as well. I don't know if it has to do with the actress. Like you said, Naevia 1 was sort of a background character. She was there for Crixus to fall in love with. In Gods of the Arena, she took backstage to Diona. (Nothing against Diona, she was a well written/acted character.) Naevia 2 seems to be more of a character, especially now that she's learning to fight. It was in this season that she really got my attention.

• Love 3
There were even people angry with this episode that Naevia didn't kill herself.

Wow, that's harsh.  I think the character of Naevia is a tricky one to develop, but they're doing a decent job with writing her and the actress is doing a fine job.  I haven't seen anything beyond what we're getting on Syfy, but I can't imagine that anything in the unedited versions would warrant that kind of hatred towards her.   

• Love 2

Wow, that's harsh.  I think the character of Naevia is a tricky one to develop, but they're doing a decent job with writing her and the actress is doing a fine job.  I haven't seen anything beyond what we're getting on Syfy, but I can't imagine that anything in the unedited versions would warrant that kind of hatred towards her.

Her character is supposed to be battling a lot of inner demons. Some people have no tolerance for that soul searching sort of storyline.

I watched Spartacus on Stars, all seasons but the prequel. It is one of my all time favorite shows. I stumbled upon it on TV the other day and watched some episodes. It's much better unedited. The stomping scene in the bar was chopped way down. It's still good though.

I enjoyed seeing them in action again, love me some Spartacus and Gannicus.

• Love 1
Her character is supposed to be battling a lot of inner demons. Some people have no tolerance for that soul searching sort of storyline.

I have to admit that the new Naevia got on my nerves the first couple of episodes, especially when she was screaming in the woods and attracted the Roman soldiers.  I realize that she had PTSD but she had to know that everyone's lives were in danger when she screamed.  It's nice to see her gradually becoming herself and warming up to Crixus and learning how to fight.

• Love 1

Okay, I'm officially done with Ilithyia.  Letting her slave be crucified was just too much.  I get that Ilithyia has gotten herself into an awkward position, and that the villa types don't really understand that the slaves are as human as the Romans are and have as much right to live, but damn.  There's a line, and she crossed it when she stood there silently and let that poor girl be killed.  And by crucifixion, no less.  That is a horrible way to die, slow and tortuously painful.   (And yeah, I remember her ordering the doors closed when the massacre was going on.  But this felt worse.)

And Ashur - his use of rape as punishment for Lucretia last week was horrible enough, but now with giving her the red wig to wear,  I don't even.   Is he just demented now?  Does he think she has feelings for him - other than wanting him dead, that is?   I honestly no longer know whether half the people in that villa are sane.

I said before that I was impressed with how they handled the PTSD aspects of Naevia's rape and abuse in the mines and I am, but now with Lucretia being raped regularly - this season is really playing up the treatment of women.  I have mixed feelings on it, because on the one hand, it's starting to feel exploitative. (Don't ask me why now, after two seasons of assorted rape and consent issues.  And in a show that's all about sex and violence anyway, maybe I shouldn't let it bother me, but it does.  Maybe it's the fact that it's part of two significant character stories now, rather than a part of the times and setting.) On the other hand those times probably were that bad.  And the writing/directing doesn't seem to be trying to be titillating with the subject, at least in the version I'm seeing on Syfy.  I don't know if the unedited version does.  

Anyway, they're recognizing it as something traumatic.  I was angry when they wrote Melitta and Gannicus' rape as a lead-in for a romance, so while I think the stuff with Lucretia and Ashur is taking the theme past the point of story-telling and into the realm of exploitation, at least I'll admit they're handling it well as far as showing it as an ugly experience.  And I'm pretty sure Lucretia's not going to be falling for Ashur.  (I haven't seen future episodes/seasons beyond anything currently airing on Syfy, but I think I'm safe in speculating there.)  

I did love Lucretia trying to get Gannicus to do her dirty work.  And of course she was planning to kill him afterward.  Of course.  At least he seemed to be smart enough not to trust her.  Still, I wasn't sure what he was up to when he was going all Mothman in the moonlight.   I was surprised he chose to kidnap Ilithyia.

As for the gladiators/slaves:

I loved the gladiators' mission at the beginning, to get the new slaves from the ship.  Luckily, those guards weren't good at their job, because the gladiators weren't exactly well-hidden on that little dock.  

Agron's a good fighter, but he's not very bright.  He should have realized that someone in charge might possibly speak the language of the slaves. 

I like how Agron was just a big fraternity guy around, but when he saw the one guy hurting Naevia he immediately went to stop the guy.  And then there's Crixus watching them fight, perfectly content to see Agron getting thrown down the steps and beat up, until he catches Naevia's eye and pieces together what must have happened and goes after the guy himself.  Great scene.  I like both Agron and Crixus more and more each week.  And Agron leading his people in swearing loyalty to Spartacus was nice.

Not enough of Mira or Nasir in this ep.  But I noticed that when the big lunchroom brawl 'o' slaves started, they both joined in.  I think Nasir actually growled when he threw himself into the mix.

• Love 3

Well, gee.  I did not expect that.  So is Ilithyia's baby really Spartacus', or was that a tactic to keep him from killing her?  She seemed to believe it was true.

Best moment of the episode:

Spartacus:  I'll need three men to go with me.
Agron: I'll go with you.
Crixus:  Me too. (looks sideways at Agron)  In spite of the company.

Those two, I tells ya.

Nice to see Oenomaus feeling well enough to volunteer.  And I like his relationship with Spartacus.

As soon as the gladiators reached the town and saw Glaber's men, I told my husband, "If they open that wagon, they deserve to die."   And of course they open it.  Well, Agron did.  I think someone - probably Spartacus - called out to him not to.  Really, even if Glaber still loved Ilthyia, he wasn't going to hand a bunch of armor and weapons over to his enemy.  

Poor Lucius.  But he did a good job playing Ilithyia while she thought she was playing him.  

Seppia is ancient Rome's equivalent to the particular kind of teenage girl I hate on other TV shows.  At least I know on this show they're more likely to kill her off than give her superpowers and two boys to fight over her.  And now that she knows Glaber killed Seppius, maybe she'll do something about it.

• Love 2