Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: How Far Down Can I Go

I honestly thought Layla was going to jump off that cliff while she was talking to Will. I was pleasantly surprised when she decided to grab him by the short 'n curlies and twist. Finally something interesting happened with those two. I agree with what was said above, where's Will's BFF Gunnar for all this? <br /><br />I also agree that the people on this show need to talk to each other. I really don't get why Scarlett can't just be honest about why she doesn't want to write with Gunnar.

• Love 1

I guess, to be even more accurate, I should say I hate Layla's storyline because that's what this mess is, her storyline.

It's part of it, but I hate the whole "I'm really gay" storyline too. Even without Layla, I'm over Will.

I don't get Layla's reaction - she's made at Will (and I don't blame her), but if she really wants revenge all she has to do is call a press conference and tell the world that she's filing for divorce or an annulment or whatever because her husband is gay. Bam, she's got sympathetic press. And she may even end up playing Patsy Cline in that movie because Juliette's pregnancy will get in the way of her doing it.

Another thing: when the suits told Jeff that he had to get more female talent, then the very next thing is that Will was saying "find something for Layla." Layla's talented; why didn't Jeff realize that this was a good opportunity for him to do exactly what his bosses told him he had to do?

Another thing: when the suits told Jeff that he had to get more female talent, then the very next thing is that Will was saying "find something for Layla." Layla's talented; why didn't Jeff realize that this was a good opportunity for him to do exactly what his bosses told him he had to do?

I agree.  I actually assumed that was how they were going to get her back on track with some sort of existence outside of Will and give her a motivation to make the reality show work as publicity for herself as well as Will.  As it is, I agree with whomever up thread said Layla's story will likely end with either her or Will dead.  My money is on her.... but only after a protracted and spectacularly public meltdown.

I think I would like Will's storyline more if there was any movement whatsoever towards him coming out and dealing with the repercussions to his career. Him telling Layla he was gay was such a big step for him, only to have the show completely halt any forward momentum in his story by having both the reality show producers and now Layla blackmail him back into the closet. It's kind of infuriating.

Count me among those who actually like Scarlett, or at least the version of her that contributes some of the best music on the show with Gunnar and delivers tough love to Deacon. I wasn't a fan of her storyline last season and am glad they're bringing her back to a place where she gets to interact with other characters more.

I'm pleasantly surprised that Avery looks to be the father of Juliette's baby. I was dreading a drawn-out "who's the father" storyline, plus Avery definitively being the father is the only scenario in which Juliette keeping the baby makes any sense for her character. I'm guessing she's going to use the baby to try to get Avery back now.

I don't have that much of a problem with Rayna's business decisions in this episode. It's a fledgling label and this is the first album release (and the only release for the foreseeable future, with Juliette going off to do a movie and Scarlett's contract cancelled). Yes, she personally has lots of money, especially with her inheritance from her father's estate, but the credibility of her company and her ability to attract artists to her label depends on proving that she can deliver results. Part of what I find interesting about the Highway 65 storyline is Rayna having to confront the business aspect of the music business and come to terms with the fact that being a successful artist and being a successful businesswoman are very different things. But yeah, not the greatest parenting decisions in terms of heading out on a long tour during a period of upheaval in her kids' lives.

• Love 2

Maddie's life also was turned doubly upside down when he signed the contract.

Things are tenfold different now for her, as well as for him and it's obvious they're both in a place where they need each other.

Also, at that point in time Teddy was being extremely restrictive with how much time Deacon got to spend with Maddie. Thankfully, he's woken up and done the right thing.

I highly doubt he would've signed the contract under these circumstances.

• Love 1

I enjoyed Jeff being taken down a notch, but could his behavior really be described as mysoginistic?  Sure, he clashed with Rayna and Juliette. Sure, he can be a complete and total jerk most of the time.  But I took that more as clash of personalities rather than some deep seated hatred of women.  My guess would be there are plenty of male artists he has clashed with as well.

Consider the evidence. He was condescending to both Rayna and Juliette pretty much from the get go and basically drove them both from the label. Juliette in particular he clearly never had any respect for and slings a lot of sexist vitriol at, starting long before she slept with him. In contrast, he seems to have little problem working with Luke, the one male artist of Rayna and Juliette's stature who we've been shown. He signed Will and Layla as promising young artists at around the same time. While he clashes with Will these days, he throws his weight behind ensuring Will's success whereas he wrote Layla off the second her career started to stall. He was somewhat supportive of Gunnar's songwriting career, but made a number of dismissive comments to Rayna about her signing Scarlett. Finally, when he was called out at the meeting for having a problem with women, they showed the women at the table giving looks that seemed to indicate that they agreed. I'm sure he's clashed with plenty of male artists too, but what we've been shown onscreen is a clear pattern of disrespecting women and favoring male artists.

• Love 5

Layla, Jeff and Zoe contribute absolutely nothing to this show.

I think I would like Will's storyline more if there was any movement whatsoever towards him coming out and dealing with the repercussions to his career. Him telling Layla he was gay was such a big step for him, only to have the show completely halt any forward momentum in his story by having both the reality show producers and now Layla blackmail him back into the closet. It's kind of infuriating.

Infuriating and annoying and unnecessary. Will as gay artist in the country music industry is a much more compelling storyline. Being blackmailed by an angry, vindictive young wife is not original and is unwatchable...mostly because Aubrey Peeples is a one-dimensional actress.

Jeff continues to treat artists badly despite being threatened by MVP. The lack of subtlety and nuance in this character is amazing. In a show about the music business, the lone regular character that actually represents the "business side" of the industry is reduced to a mustache-twirling villain.

Are we supposed to be interested in Zoe? To root for her and Gunnar? This character is a big fail for me. I don't care about her relationship with Gunnar or her career. Why is she here?

And now Rayna sells out so she can have another platinum album. Ugh! We are going to see her making lots of bad choices before she has an epiphany and runs back to Deacon and her girls.

Bye, Tandy.  I know she had a reason why she was leaving, but I choose to to believe she's off to wherever Coleman went off too.  , apparently Brent as well.  What happened to Brent?

I wouldn't mind watching a spinoff with Tandy, Coleman and Brent. I could see it as a funky reboot of "Touched By An Angel."

Who and/or what the fuck is Layla? She's gone from being Eve Harrington to Laura Ingalls to Magic Addicted Willow. All in the course of a year.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 2

You make some valid points. But if you consider all of the evidence, I still wouldn't call him misogynistic.

Juliette - She's undeniably talented, but she has been a PR nightmare for the record label. Her own actions make it difficult for people to respect her.

Layla - Talented as well. But in the words of Juliette herself - She's just a runner up on a tv singing competition. I would hardly call her comparable to Will having the top song in the country.

Scarlett - I think her very public meltdown shows he was right about her all along. She clearly was not ready to handle the pressures of the business.

As for the women in the meeting, I don't know anyone - male or female - who wouldn't take a little satisfaction in seeing their jerk boss get slapped down in front of them.

As for his support of Will, I could see that easily turning if he was outed and sales plummeted as a result.

Juliette may be a PR nightmare, but the particular way in which he displays his disrespect for her - basically calling her a trailer-trash slut to her face at every opportunity - is pretty clearly misogynistic. It could be argued that Layla hasn't had the success Will has precisely because Jeff and the label haven't invested in her like they have in Will in terms of songwriting and promotion. And the message of the scene in the meeting seemed pretty clear-cut to me - his boss says it seems like he has a problem with women, cut to a shot of a female executive giving a knowing look.

You can pick apart individual examples and speculate about how he might behave in situations that haven't been shown if you want to, but there is an overall pattern that has been shown onscreen. There hasn't been a single female artist shown that he's supported or even been able to work with effectively, and there haven't been any male artists shown that he can't find a way to work with even if he doesn't like or respect them (like Will). He may be a jerk all around, but he's more of a jerk to women than to men.

• Love 2

Has this show ever gone more than three episodes without introducing a new semi-major character? Realistic? Maybe. But it makes it difficult to really connect with any of the characters or story lines.

I don't get Layla's reaction - she's made at Will (and I don't blame her), but if she really wants revenge all she has to do is call a press conference and tell the world that she's filing for divorce or an annulment or whatever because her husband is gay. Bam, she's got sympathetic press. And she may even end up playing Patsy Cline in that movie because Juliette's pregnancy will get in the way of her doing it.

Layla said she had no career, & I think it's basically because she came in 2nd place in a "American Idol" type of show & her 15 minutes are up. She may be a good singer, but so are a lot of other singers. It takes more than just a good voice to become a star, & Layla doesn't have the rest. Jeff might be an asshole, but he knows she's not ever going to be in the Juliette or Rayna league no matter how much publicity she gets, so he's pretty much ignoring her.

I would be fine with both Zoe and Layla gone. We already have Rayna, Juliette and Scarlett to care about. I was happy to see the little bit of Scarlett and Gunnar singing together. They are amazing together and I have downloaded all of their songs from season one. Zoe is just forgettable and serves no real purpose.

I knew the baby would be Avery's . No way would Juliette keep a baby fathered by Jeff. And yes, Jeff has turned into a mustache twirling villain. I wish they would dial that back just a bit. Part of working in the music business in getting along with the talent and I can't imagine anyone wanting to work with Jeff. Will works with him because he is desperate. 

I still like and have always liked Rayna. I'm sure her kids would be happier with a stay at home mom, but then again Maddie at least is a teenager and probably doesn't care if her mom is around all the time. Rayna is trying to get her new record label going and it is hard work. I like the fact she discussed what this would take with her daughters. Not all moms are stay at home moms and this show is about the music business. If Rayna were to quit, it would take away the music aspect which wouldn't make sense. I still don't like or trust Luke and I'm not sure why. He just seems so fake.

• Love 1

The whole "Luke sees Rayna as a prize" theory seems likely to me, due to the WAY he proposed, the way he blindsided Rayna with it, and the way he clearly did not think about Rayna's girls. Maddie's dismay and Daphne's reaction tell me they A) had no idea this was coming and B) aren't what we would call delighted at the idea of Luke as stepdad. Luke, Rayna, or both, absolutely should have asked them how they felt about the idea before making it official. Getting engaged to Rayna seemed like a publicity stunt more than anything else. 

• Love 4

What she didn't know was that Deacon gave it a real shot to try to restore their family, especially since she also knows that's what they both want. 

I'm adopted, and it may color my reaction to this comment.  In fact, I will admit that I don't know how to separate that fact from how I feel about this type of situation.  But I feel the need to say that if Rayna were to "restore their family", it would be by getting back together with Teddy.  It's natural to romanticize these situations, but Rayna, Deacon, and Maddie were never a family.  I think it's more realistic for Maddie to wish Rayna and Teddy would get back together.  Her life was a lot more calm and stable then.

I'm baffled by the criticism of both Maddie and Deacon. Maddie is fifteen years old, and in the last year, her parents got divorced, her mother almost died, her stepmother was murdered, her grandfather died, she found out her father was someone she'd known and loved all her life but considered a family friend, her mother got engaged in a very public way and with no warning to a guy she's been dating all of about six months, and now she learns that her mother will be leaving home for a year and her father is being forced to go on the road, so she'll be left with one parent only and he's finally being nice, but what she needs is the two parents who are leaving to work together to sort out their crap and create some stability.

Again, this is probably my issue, but I think Maddie's father is the man who isn't going on tour.  I'm not shading Deacon for making a living.  I'm shading the impression that she will be lost without him.  Teddy has always provided the stability (maybe with help from Tandy) in the girls' lives.  I think they really stressed that in the first season.  I understand that she would be enthralled by Deacon.  In fact, I think if she found out her biological father was anything other than a musician, she wouldn't be as interested in him. I also dislike the times Maddie used Deacon to hurt Teddy.  From a young age, I was aware of how easily I could hurt my parents by making a comment that lessened their place in my life. It may be poor writing, I just hate the impression that Maddie so easily moves on from Teddy, and absolutely needs Deacon in her every day life.  And while I don't think Teddy should have gone as far as he did, he would have known the very worst of Deacon through Rayna.  He also knew that Deacon had just relapsed.  I don't know of many responsible parents who wouldn't be reluctant to allow Deacon such a huge part in her life so soon - biological father or not.

Glad it's Avery's baby, and I bet the pro-lifers are thrilled that their mandatory ultrasounds were shown as being justified. This is ABC and all, but still...kinda shame on you, Callie Khouri. Is that really what you want to say?

I kind of winced at that too.  I think they were making abortion look like a whim.  Either Juliette is financially and emotionally prepared to have this child, or she's not - regardless of who fathered it.  She is not involved with either father at this time. 

In other news, I just cannot like Luke.  However, I don't seem to see any of his actions or motives with the dark cast so many others apparently do.  I think he is shallow and I don't think Rayna really loves him enough to marry him so I'm not a shipper on that from.

I haven't liked Luke from the moment he was introduced.  I think I've realized why.  I thought the character and/or writing was inspired by Toby Keith, and his kind of swaggering, in your face "patriotism" really drives me crazy.

• Love 4

Luke being less psycho is part of the tease. The planted some seeds, now they back off. They have a whole season, hopefully, to develop this. So hopefully they will let it grow before he explodes and dangles Maddie over a cliff. I never suspected he might want Rayna's respectability or her old money. I still think he has been in love with her his whole life, and it is that twisted love that makes him snap.

The Scarlett Vortex is back. She's not dating anyone yet is threatening two different relationships. I like Zooey but they need to put Gun/lett back together. I am ashamed to admit Scarlett bugged me so badly in S1 and now she is one of my favorites. 

Anyone else think about Rayna's scene with her first album? She got so huffy about her dad, and acted like her dad had no reason to treasure that record. But we know, and I think she knows, that Lamar actually financed her first album and thus bankrolled and enabled her success. So whatever his faults the man got that album made for his daughter, and she should have acknowledged that instead of continuing to spit on his grave. Typical self-righteous Rayna. I agree that her constant victim act rings hollower and hollower. 

Wish they spent more time making, playing, writing, rehearsing music!

ETA Sad but I must note just being disappointed that there are so many times this show takes the cheap way out. As people have mentioned, they could easily have Will try to be an out country star, or even have him hide it for a while, but his blackmail thing is so tired. It ruins Layla, too, who could have been the female Jeff is looking for, and we could see her try and struggle to create and promote herself as someone at 14:58 of her 15 minutes. Instead, she goes from schemer to simpleton to crazy, desperate schemer. So Will, who last year at least tried to figure out who he was and wanted to be, is trapped in a much more boring storyline.

And Rayna. As others have mentioned, they have made her do so many flip flops. I agree that some of the worst are recently, when the woman who has money to burn and formed her own label for artistic integrity is willing to do anything to get the #1 album and is going on tour for a year out of some sort of career desperation (pardon me, she's had so many career crises my eyes sometimes glaze over, so I don't remember exactly why). 

Nashville has the chance to be, and occasionally is, sublime, but it's too often lame and predictable. I think it really comes down to the writers not having faith that a show more about music and art would sell as much as soap opera cliches. But I think they would be more interesting if they dropped some of the lies and betrayals and scandals. I'm stuck on the characters now, so I guess I am in for the duration!

Edited by Midru
  • Love 1

But I feel the need to say that if Rayna were to "restore their family", it would be by getting back together with Teddy. It's natural to romanticize these situations, but Rayna, Deacon, and Maddie were never a family. I think it's more realistic for Maddie to wish Rayna and Teddy would get back together. Her life was a lot more calm and stable then.

I hear you, and I'd completely agree, if Maddie had been adopted. But I actually think this situation if very different from an adoption. Deacon was an important part of Maddie's family and she loved him (and he loved her) all her life. Rayna did that on purpose, and Teddy allowed it, which...really good for him, honestly. The implication I got from the conversation Rayna and Deacon had at the cabin last season was that Deacon was always there and close with the kids and that Rayna always incuded him as family specifically so that he and Maddie would forge a close relationship. So that calm, stable life Maddie longs for has always included Deacon. She also knows that he and her mother had a pretty intense relationship and loved each other very deeply, and that they'd gotten back together before everything went to hell. And he's the only one of the three who didn't lie to her. So I think it actually makes a lot of sense that he's the one she'd reach for once this all came to light. She and Deacon are in the same boat; they were betrayed by the people they loved and trusted most in the world. That alone would bond them pretty strongly. Add the relationship they already had, plus their shared love of music, plus the fact that Deacon's her biological father, and it makes a lot of sense to me that they'd be pretty tight by now. I think Maddie loves Teddy very much. She doesn't think he gets her and I think she blames him somewhat for the mess her life is because he was Rayna's co-conspirator, but he's still her dad and she still treats him that way.

Edited by madam magpie

The best thing about the revised date of conception is that Juliette can stop poking her head around corners and face the camera.  She will just be showing early. 

• Love 1

I honestly would have stopped watching this show if that baby was Jeffs. I could not stomach that. Also it would make zero sense with the timeline. As people on here pointed out before, you don't start getting sick and looking pregnant 3 days after you get pregnant. It really only made sense for it to be Avery's. Still, this pregnancy is pretty unfortunate. Neither Avery nor (especially) Juliette is parent material right now.

• Love 2

I agree that Luke looks less skeevy this season, but he's still shallow and manipulative.   His relationship with Rayna is boring and predictable.   I wish the writers would get to the inevitable Deacon/Rayna re-hook-up and let us have some fun watching the two of them work through a relationship, a family, and a mutual career.   

I'm also tired of Rayna and her never-ending melodrama, irregular parenting, bed-hopping, and flip-flopping on just about everything.   Pick a plan (and a man) and stick with it!    I also agree with those who have commented on her singing, which is mediocre at best.   I'd rather listen to any of the other singers on the show.

Juliette, on the other hand, is never boring.   Hayden P has been fabulous on this show.   She has gone through a wide range of emotions and has really developed the character with believable depth.   And she can sing, too.   Avery is also a winner.   I would love to hear more of his singing, too.   He does it so well, and I've loved watching the few times we've been treated to Avery and Juliette singing together.

I don't like Will, and I don't like Layla, but I prefer Layla and her nutso evil-doing.   I can't blame her for going all crazy-eyed on Will.    She was tired of being used, which was probably poetic justice since she's a user herself, but it was still the most interesting thing that has happened to their relationship.

It was lovely to hear a little of Gunner and Scarlett singing again.  Their voices are lovely together, one of the best combinations on the show.  Scarlett's illogical behavior annoys, but her songs have been among the best, IMO, and it's with Gunner that she really shines.    

Zoey can go on a long international tour any time now.

Since the only love depicted on this show comes in triangles, it will be interesting to see what they're going to do with Teddy next.   Whatever happened to the woman that he and Deacon were sharing -- not Rayna, the other one.  Megan?  Gads, this show has way too many characters. 

Loved and have loved every scene with Deacon and Maddie.   She's a teenaged brat, and he's a struggling rookie dad, but they love each other, and their interactions are convincing and sweet.   Even their duets have an emotional connection.   

More singing, please!

• Love 6

As usual, I liked the Scarlett/Gunnar duet. I am glad that her reason for running out was that she needs to figure out who she is before she starts collaborating again (not because she is in looooooove with Gunnar and can't face her feelings). I like Zoey, but the fact that she's so easily rattled by Gunnar and Scarlett spending time together, first on the road trip and then in the studio, is really annoying.

It was painful watching Maddie turn into a sullen teenager with Deacon. I get she was upset and lashing out at him (and that this is normal teenage behavior) but gawd was she a brat at the furniture store. If they're going to fight, can we at least get a make up duet?

• Love 5
I think we'd all be surprised at the level of understanding teenagers have about what things mean.

See, I think it's just the opposite, and not just for teenagers, I don't think anyone has real understanding of many life situations until they've actually been through something similar.  It's why we have support groups.  The younger you are, the less likely you have life experience that's taught you the difference, and the more likely you feel entitled to pass judgment in situations where you have no real understanding.  Sure, Maddie has a good understanding of some of the facts but still has no clue how it must have felt to Rayna.  Even Deacon experienced those years differently, as the alcoholic rather than the person closest to him, and would have a different perspective. 

But it was not right of him to tell Maddie that he proposed and that Rayna rejected him.  He inadvertently painted  himself the victim of Rayna's rejection instead of merely a party to a long, complicated, and emotional situation.  I don't think it was intentional, but I don't think it was entirely inadvertent either.  He is feeling the victim of rejection at the moment which bled into his phrasing.

Very insightful and well said.  To his credit, I think Deacon did realize after that he shouldn't have told her that but I have a feeling  Maddie is still going to let everyone know exactly how she feels about it.

What he needed to do was calmly say something like, "Honey, your mom knows exactly how I feel about her. It's her choice to make and we both need to respect it. You don't have to like it, but you have to respect it and find a way to live with it." Or something.

This would have been perfect, I think, or anything reassuring her that he did his best without spilling about the proposal.  I'm willing to give him somewhat of a pass on it too--he looked so lost sitting on the floor that morning but somehow still managed to pull himself together enough to not lose his patience with Maddie until then.

when the woman who has money to burn and formed her own label for artistic integrity is willing to do anything to get the #1 album

The way I understand it is the success of the label is riding solely on Rayna's album right now.  Sure, things may be better when the inheritance goes through but she has to make it that far without losing the house her kids live in.

• Love 2

Rayna James would be able to get a substantial inheritance loan against her father's estate, so her house is not in any danger at all.  In fact, she now has two lovely houses in Nashville. 

• Love 2
It was painful watching Maddie turn into a sullen teenager with Deacon. I get she was upset and lashing out at him (and that this is normal teenage behavior) but gawd was she a brat at the furniture store. If they're going to fight, can we at least get a make up duet?

I thought the furniture store scene was hilarious! That whole exchange was fantastic...and so confusing for Deacon. I loved when Maddie said about not wanting the dresser, "Did I say that?!" And he was genuinely like, "I'm not sure." And "I don't do short and stubby." Ha! It was just supposed to be funny. However, I agree that if we've got Maddie and Deacon at his house with guitars, I want to hear them play together. Always.

See, I think it's just the opposite, and not just for teenagers, I don't think anyone has real understanding of many life situations until they've actually been through something similar.  It's why we have support groups.  The younger you are, the less likely you have life experience that's taught you the difference, and the more likely you feel entitled to pass judgment in situations where you have no real understanding.  Sure, Maddie has a good understanding of some of the facts but still has no clue how it must have felt to Rayna.  Even Deacon experienced those years differently, as the alcoholic rather than the person closest to him, and would have a different perspective.

Children can be incredibly empathetic, though. That's what I mean about their understanding being surprising. We think that we need adult experience to truly grasp hurt or heartbreak, but we really don't. Their capacity for empathy doesn't mean they know how to cope with hard things or how they feel about them, though; they lack the life experience for that for sure. But they often get the emotional implications and the gravity of a situation. I don't think any of us needs to have lived with an alcoholic, or even known one, to understand how painful an experience that would be. Even as an adult, if I had no life experience with it, I might not understand why alcoholics behave the way they do or why the people who love them stay or what it means to be an enabler or any of that. But to grasp that Rayna is very scared and hurt because she spent a decade living with an alcoholic, I think you just need to understand sadness and disappointment; Maddie has that in spades. She doesn't know how to cope, though, and has no idea what to do about the sadness and disappointment she feels, where to put it, how to move beyond it, or how to reconcile the two seemingly contradictory sides of her mother. That's where her parents need to help her and talk to her about it constantly. I think Deacon did help her, and Teddy did last week too. Rayna is failing miserably right now, though.

As for the money, Rayna was looking at office space. She doesn't seem to be hurting for money at all. I see no reason that she has to go on a year-long tour to promote this album. She could play smaller venues; she could do a short club tour. She could use some creativity and put together a cool band and do some kind of throwback tour. There's more to life than arenas. Just last week, I went to see Martina McBride play at a small club in California. That was one of the best shows I've ever been to, and on the tour she's doing right now, she's playing everything from the Ryman to this tiny club. She's a pretty huge star who (with her husband) is real force on the music scene in Nashville, but whose career has ebbed and flowed. She once played arenas, but now she's got more of a niche audience and her music reflects that. It's much more "this is the kind of music I want to make and I'm not willing to sell out to do it." But I think Martina has much less ego that Rayna seems to at the moment. It's not that Rayna wants to work that bothers me, it's that she has no ability to see more than one option and she's willing to sacrifice some very important things to do it. She's not a struggling single parent. She doesn't need money or even fame. She's a huge star. She also has a couple of really lost kids at home, but is willing to put them aside to seek out the money and fame she's suddenly decided she needs. It's kind of gross, I think, and also really contradictory to the Rayna of season two, who canceled that whole tour with Juliette because Maddie was falling apart. I'd like Rayna to find that woman again and embrace her, rather than this shallow person she is with Luke Wheeler. The kids don't need her to be a stay-at-home mom. They just need Rayna to be a stablizing, available presence. Teddy can help with that, but right now, Maddie's admission to Deacon said exactly what she needs; she needs her mother not to leave her. (And I'd say she needs Rayna much, much more than she needs Deacon, though Maddie herself likely wouldn't be able to conceptualize that.)

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 1

Really she needs all 3 of her parents present in her life and communicating with each other regularly. This is a hard situation for anybody, most of all a teenage girl whose been through all Maddie has in the last year. It's a wonder she's not cutting herself in the bathroom during lunch. (And Daphne, we've seen little bits of the impact this has had on her, but really? She's just totally cool with her Mom leaving for a year? Or does she keep a flask in her lunchbox?)

There are so many ways that Rayna could have the expanded media presence she needs for the label that wouldn't involve her being away for the better part of a year. She could arrange for the tour dates to happen during her "off" weeks with the kids - maybe being home Sunday thru Friday on her "on" weeks and then back out for Friday night; radio and TV appearances can be done remotely, she can hire an internet/social media wrangler to be her presence on the interwebs, etc., etc., etc. 

And what about the Rayna of season 1 who cancelled her part of the all-important NYC leg to be back in Nashville after her Dad had his first heart attack?

• Love 1

She's not the same Rayna Jaymes in season 1, we all fell in love with.(At least I did) I loved that tough smart business woman, taking control of her career, dealing successfully with slimy business men and taking the biggest chance of her lifetime starting her own label and most of all being a great MOM.  Part of season 2 and now 3 she's became a Stepford kind of woman just going through the motions expressing no feelings, what happened to that Rayna Jaymes, you can't know about my private life.  She wanted to discover other artists, sign them to her Highway 65 label and be there for them giving them her knowledge of what to do and how to become a star. She will be on tour for a year, has put her children's lives in second place behind her wanting to be that number 1 country music star again.  Wonder what's going to make her change soon or will she go the route with (slime ball) LW money means everything. Wasn't that Lamar's philosophy making lots of money, always being away from his family (daughters).

I wish there were more scenes of Juliette and Rayna working together. I really enjoyed their team take down of Jeff in the season finale, and I was hoping for more of them crushing the music industry. I'm not super interested in this whole audition story line. 

• Love 1

There's more to life than arenas. Just last week, I went to see Martina McBride play at a small club in California. That was one of the best shows I've ever been to, and on the tour she's doing right now, she's playing everything from the Ryman to this tiny club. She's a pretty huge star who (with her husband) is real force on the music scene in Nashville, but whose career has ebbed and flowed. She once played arenas, but now she's got more of a niche audience and her music reflects that.

I remember reading that Martina's touring was limited to the time her children were out of school, so they could accompany her.  I think it really affected her career, and in my opinion she has the best voice out there.  But it was what the McBrides chose to do as a family.

For sure, though when they were small she took them along and, now that they're older, they also stay at home without her sometimes. They weren't at this show, for instance. And her husband is a sound guy so he usually goes too. And they run a whole recording studio and sound engineering school. So they're super busy with music and a business like Rayna is. Clearly it helps that they're all more well adjusted than the people on this show, but her creative solutions are my point. None of the decisions she made because of her kids ruined her career or really even diminished her star power. It just changed. Once you're super famous and have control over your direction, there are many ways to have a successful, fulfilling career as a musician that don't involve leaving your sad, struggling children behind for a year. Clemgo offered a bunch of ideas too. Rayna used to care about her children more than she cared about being famous. Deacon even mentioned it in the pilot, her wanting to tour less since the kids were in school. And hell, when Teddy was being a creepy embezzler, she threatened to yank them out of school and bring them on tour so she could keep an eye on them. Rayna has all options available to her, she's not struggling, she's super famous, she's rich and can fly back and forth easily, but she chose not to. It's arenas and number ones or nothing for her, and I say, "Jesus, Rayna. Check the ego and get some perspective."

(Martina is all-around AWESOME. Anyone who gets the chance to see her should, especially this big-ish band, soul covers tour she's doing right now.)

Edited by madam magpie

There's no doubt in my mind that Luke keeping Deacon on that tour is all about Rayna. He's not being a muture professional; last week he had a driver take him to the Bluebird solely so he could punch Deacon in the face!

If Deacon could prove that, it might get him out of the contract.

Deacon, to Luke: "Is this some kind of punishment?" I have the same question!

ETA: I meant for myself: Am I being punished by having to watch so much Luke Wheeler?

Edited by dcalley

I've heard of Martina McBride but never paid much attention to her life or career. Married to a sound guy for over 20 plus years changed her life and career around her kids and after all these years still performing on her terms. What a breath of fresh air to read what her and her husband thinks what's most important in their lives, their three daughters.

Something has to happen soon to make Rayna come out of this fog she's in and realize this is not me. I can't believe the series would string us along through October, November up until December to have Rayna realize this is so wrong. That's putting us through hell to watch no chemistry what so ever between Rayna and LW. I'm not good at not knowing, really gets me wanting to get even with whom ever is writing these episodes.

Yes, it is some kind of punishment LW wants to stick it to Deacon reminding him Rayna Jaymes is going to marry him. The only hope I have is that Rayna finds out what LW is doing and she tells him to stop. I want him to tell her to her face it's only business that's when the trouble will start between her and LW.

I see so many comments about the issue with Rayna leaving her children behind ("y'all can come visit me on tour whenever you want"!), but no comments on Rayna getting engaged and then adding 40 concert dates and committing to touring for a year.  Not the move of someone who wants to launch a new life with a new husband.  It's not like she is 22 and planning a first wedding that take a year to plan and allows the engaged couple to mature a little.  Is this a way to avoid the planning of even a small wedding and new relationship? 

I got the feeling Luke wants to keep Deacon under his eye, and keep Deacon away from Rayna's life, keeping him away from the Rayna/Deacon love child.  We all saw how unhappy Luke was to hear about THAT issue. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2

You think Luke "fame whore" Wheeler wants a small wedding?? I see stallions and carriages and something rivaling Will and Kate if he's given any say, complete with paparazzi so the pictures make the front page of People and his BBQ sauce handed out as gifts.

But ohhhh yes. The fact that Rayna seems to keep having to talk herself into this marriage should be a red flag for any semi-sane person. She'd have to possess at least a teensy bit of self-awareness for that, though.

• Love 1

Is it weird that Deacon yelling at Maddie was one of my favorite parts of the episode?  I even like her, for a bratty TV teen, but she was getting on my nerves, too! 

The Avery/Juliette scene was intense.  Will Juliette tell Avery about the baby, now that it could be his?  Or could it be the British guy's?  I've lost track of the time line, here ...

Will trying to help Layla out with her career, because he feels guilty, was kind of sweet.  I was feeling bad for Layla ... until she turned psycho!

I can't tell if Luke keeping Deacon on the tour really is business (which would be legit, really - why should he have to go looking for another guitar playing right before his tour?)  ... or if he wants to keep an eye on Deacon and keep him away from Rayna (or are they all on the same giant tour?).

I liked Zoey in the scene with Avery - first signs of a personality I've seen from her!  But then she got blah, again.  The inevitable triangle with Scarlett and Gunnar is going to annoy me.

Jeff is a slimy worm.  Yuck. 

I miss Lamar.  :(

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 1

I was feeling bad for Layla ... until she turned psycho!

But that's what writers do to the womenfolk when they can't figure out how to develop their character.  Layla was a sassy, ambitious, relatively talented teen when we saw her, and I was all set for a Nashville version of "All About Eve".  But that would have taken some plotting that would have been more complicated than marrying her off to the closeted cowboy and having her go psycho.  Has Layla been in any scenes except with Will lately? 

You think Luke "fame whore" Wheeler wants a small wedding??

That's what I was saying -- it takes time to plan an event, even with a full-time wedding planner.  And Rayna is not showing signs of wanting to spend time or energy on even a small wedding, let along what LW probably wants to validate himself and maybe get his face on some Jordan almonds. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2

Glad it's Avery's baby, and I bet the pro-lifers are thrilled that their mandatory ultrasounds were shown as being justified. This is ABC and all, but still...kinda shame on you, Callie Khouri. Is that really what you want to say?

To further this point, first trimester ultrasounds are trans-vaginal, not over the belly.  For someone who thought they were 4 weeks, they definitely would have used that method.  Considering that this was a BIG topic of debate in Virginia last year, and considering how traumatic that can be for rape victims, I am horrified that this was shown SO incorrectly in a way that justified a Anti-choice position.  /soapbox. 

That said, the difference between a 4 week fetus and an 8 week one is pretty stark.  I, like Juliet, mis-guessed by conception date by a month, and the doc saw my little guy and was like… NO WAY is that (in my case) 5 weeks. 9 weeks has limbs differentiated and visible.  5 weeks is a dot.  Its very clear.  

On another note, I'm glad that the manipulative, ambitious & conniving Layla has turned back up.  She was so odious when she first appeared on the scene, and I love a good villain.  This show needs one, especially now that Jeff Fordham won't be intertwined with everyone's lives.  

• Love 4

Everyone seems to think Luke is going to be a bad guy, but he seems to vanilla to me to be a bad guy. He's just boring and doesn't understand Rayna's family history the way Deacon does. How many episodes do we have to suffer through before she realizes that too?

I think Avery just needed to have some payback sex so he can get past the cheating and move on with Juliette. Which they must, because True Love.

--And "Ruke"? That was pathetic! They had "Luna" and "Layna" sitting right there.

Right? Those were my exact thoughts too.

I don't know what the law is in TN, but the Virginia debate ended up with a mandated ultrasound for anyone seeking an abortion, regardless of how far along they are. So the over the belly procedure, as dumb as it is for those who aren't far along, it may be accurate within the law.

In an interesting and disturbing turn of events, my internet searching is telling me (according to the Kaiser Foundation) that Tennessee doesn't have a mandatory ultrasound law at all. A bill was introduced in 2013 but looks like it was set aside, and there appears to be a 2014 ballot measure in the works to ban abortion altogether but it hasn't passed yet. If that's true, I'm even more appalled by that storyline because not only did they basically say that abortion is done on a whim and if the uninformed, incapable women could just be enlightened by an invasion of privacy they'd make the "right" choice, but they had no reason to even mention it except to shove this highly sensitive and divisive issue into the mold they wanted to fit their crap storyline. I've been baffled for a long time that Connie Britton is on this show and has her name attached as an executive producer, but now, given how politically active she is on women's issues, I'm stunned. Also it makes them look really stupid.

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 4

I don't really get what the problem is? This story line made a lot of sense for Juliette. She wanted an abortion when she thought it was the child of an evil mutant alien. And the ultrasound informed her that it was not. How is this a pro-life agenda rather than a decision based on good information?

• Love 3

I wouldn't call it a pro-life agenda. I'd call it an irresponsible unintended message. The entire pro-life point of the mandatory ultrasound laws revolves around the idea that women make decisions to get abortions based on the fact that they don't understand that they are killing babies. If they could just be made to see, say the pro-lifers, what the truth is, they will change their minds. Meanwhile there's no actual evidence to support this, and the entire argument ignores the reality that most women who get abortions don't make the decision lightly at all. They're very aware of what's happening and often pretty upset about the whole thing. Forcing them to view an ultrasound, wait longer, listen to religious counseling, etc. just adds to the emotional distress of the experience. On this show, the story basically validated the pro-life side by saying, "Whew! It's so lucky the great state of Tennessee makes women get ultrasounds before an abortion or Juliette might have aborted Avery's baby. The horror!" She looks right at the image and changes her mind on the spot; the moment is essentially a pro lifer's wet dream. There were plenty of other ways to tell the same story without even introducing the idea of a mandatory ultrasound. How about Juliette just goes to the doctor and finds out how far along she is that way? You know, like most pregnant women do.

Were this just some random soap opera or a show not helmed by women who have long been vocal about women's rights and issues, I personally would be annoyed but not care that much. But when Connie "UN Ambassador for women's rights/hardcore Wendy Davis supporter/Planned Parenthood advocate" Britton and Callie "Thelma and Louise" Khouri do it, it's very weird. Not to mention that it now looks like they were wrong and the state doesn't even require an ultrasound in the first place. So they also seem unable to do even the teensiest bit of research for their script. It took me all of five minutes to find the info, but they're such poor storytellers and researchers over there at Nashville, that they can't even be bothered to check?

Edited by madam magpie
  • Love 10

Forcing them to view an ultrasound, wait longer, listen to religious counseling, etc. just adds to the emotional distress of the experience.

And cost.  Ultrasounds cost anywhere from 200 −1000 dollars pre-insurance. For what is not a medically necessary procedure.  

How about Juliette just goes to the doctor and finds out how far along she is that way? You know, like most pregnant women do.

Word.  To this and your entire post.  

Edited by fib
  • Love 2

I loved the screaming hissy fit both Juliette and Avery had when she tried to sneak up and leave his stuff on his door step.  It was a childish and excessively irrational, emotional outburst from both of them which underscored how much they still care about each other, even though they are both pissy and fit to be tied.  Both HP and JJ sold me on that scene.

• Love 4

It has long been my understanding that doctors confirm how far along a woman is before performing an abortion, due to regulations about when they can perform abortions and out of safety concerns.   That confirmation has generally been done via ultrasound.  Because Juliet had *not* been to her own doctor for that evaluation, it was necessary to be done prior to the abortion, so I didn't see that as promoting an anti-abortion agenda.  Sloppily done?  For sure, but that's this show for you.  But I didn't see it as political or totally inaccurate.  It's important to confirm how long a woman has been pregnant before performing an abortion, and obviously Juliet had no idea.  

I'm completely over Will and Layla.

It must seem to Maddie right now that "everyone leaves", and while I think Rayna could have made a much better choice, I think Deacon is stuck in a contract he can't afford to break, and wouldn't leave if he didn't have to.  In fact, he seemed more than okay with the idea that Luke would kick him off of the tour.  Deacon gets gigs at the Bluebird, sure, but we haven't seen him be super wealthy, and (if I remember correctly, a BIG "if") I think he signed that contract at a time when he really needed it, financially and emotionally.  But now Luke is just being an ass.  At least Teddy and Maddie seem to be in a better place, so she won't be totally lost.  Girl is being a bit of a brat, but I think she's earned the right - it's been a tough year for her!

• Love 3

Girl is being a bit of a brat, but I think she's earned the right - it's been a tough year for her!

Word.  I found it totally irresponsible of Rayna to accept a surprise marriage proposal from Luke when her family is in full on upheaval mode.  Her daughters need stability, not surprise stepfathers-to-be who they've met once. That Luke didn't understand this and put Rayna on the spot in front of a huge crowd speaks poorly of him, as do his actions ever since. Maddie is being treated badly: by her mom (for not keeping Luke in an appropriate role til things settle down), by the man who's raised her (Teddy has been cruel to Deacon on purpose, repeatedly), and by her Deacon (leaving, though its not in his control). I'd probably have been worse at her age. 

• Love 2

It has long been my understanding that doctors confirm how far along a woman is before performing an abortion, due to regulations about when they can perform abortions and out of safety concerns.   That confirmation has generally been done via ultrasound.  Because Juliet had *not* been to her own doctor for that evaluation, it was necessary to be done prior to the abortion, so I didn't see that as promoting an anti-abortion agenda.  Sloppily done?  For sure, but that's this show for you.  But I didn't see it as political or totally inaccurate.  It's important to confirm how long a woman has been pregnant before performing an abortion, and obviously Juliet had no idea.  

Thanks for bringing this up.  I believe that this is the case, especially for pregnancies that are less than 6 weeks.  It's often done before and after the procedure to make sure that it was successful, because very early abortions sometimes don't work.  However, I don't think that this is common knowledge and it was very annoying to me to see this on screen without explanation.  How many TV shows and movies have used this trope where the woman goes to the office and changes her mind at the last minute?  I am sure that this happens occasionally, but the entertainment business would make it seem like it happens all the time.  The scene made me think that Nashville is not being as creative as it could be.