Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Jubilex

About Jubilex, from http://pathfinderwiki.com/wiki/Jubilex

Titles: The Faceless Lord, Lord of Sloth, Demon Lord of Poison and Ooze

Home: Undersump, the Abyss

Alignment: Chaotic evil

Portfolio: Poison, Ooze, Sloth

Worshipers: Drow, drug users, poisoners, slothful people

So, unfortunately for Linder and Ava, I guess there's not much chance of it also referring to the biblical Jubilee (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_(biblical)):
...slaves and prisoners would be freed, debts would be forgiven and the mercies of God would be particularly manifest.
Maybe the Jubilex will be Eleanor's father? I'm thinking of the "faceless" part. And the home being the "Abyss." Edited by shapeshifter

Wait that was it? Oh well, as impossible as it was, I was beyond thrilled that Linder was alive in the back of the truck. I was so happy when he and Eva reunited. Now I can hold onto the their happy ending because I don't think that a third season is coming.

In my ending, Marco becomes captain and helps save all those women who are being disappeared.

Boy, did Eleanor get lucky with Sonya's arrival. I don't really care what Marco does with her. As usual this show, it makes absolutely no sense for El Paso PD to fire Sonya for arresting a child murderer. Whatever, writers.

I did not quite get where Daniel and Adriana are planning to publish their story, but I was happy for them.

Farewell to the CIA agent. I hope that he and Robles burn in hell.

• Love 1

My God, is Linder some kin to Hank?  I'm glad he let it go, in the end.  Robles is not the kind that can hide from his own.

I expected Eleanor's father to be much more ragged and weak.  Why would he have glasses after all this time?  And she should have been able to roll him right over.

In the end, this season was about hubris.  The DEA guy wanting his place in the sun.  Buckley thinking he was in charge of everything.  Fausto thinking he could get away with it all this time.  Robles thinking he was untouchable.  Daniel thinking...well, he wasn't doing much thinking at all.   I wonder if TPTB are planning the third season around Cerisole and the female CIA station chief.

That opening sequence with Hank at the truck was a nail-biter.  I was sure that he was going to take one in the chest.  At least he didn't flinch when the time came.  Sonya, on the other hand, leads with her head, like Ryan Hardy from The Following.

Nice ending shot of the bridge.

• Love 1

No way Linder could have survived with all that blood bubbling out for hours but glad he did. Now for a little pink cottage with Eva and the "baby animals" in their future.

This season more or less ended for dramatic purposes after the Red Ridge massacre exposed the government hanky-panky. They should have rounded everyone up in the next two episodes, max.

Let me join in the celebration for Linder and Eva! I was so glad he wasn't dead and they got their happy ending. Yay! Eleanor got her happy (sorta) ending even though she wasn't able to kill her dad herself. I agree that the old man should have been more feeble. She could have broken him with one hand. Maybe one last burst of adrenaline? I really did expect her to castrate him, especially since he was pants-less, and was surprised when she didn't.

Big question: How come handcuffs alone render even the most violent perps immobile? It's like magic! I counted at least 3 occasions in this ep alone where they cuffed someone (Fausto, his sidekick, Eleanor, I'm sure there were probably more), sat them down, put the gun away, and then turned their freakin' backs on these guys to make a phone call. Hello? What? It just doesn't compute that these guys would sit there passively without fighting back, snatching a gun, or making a break for it. Even Eleanor's dad managed to do that! Doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

Still, I hope we get a third season. I like that they're bringing awareness to the border issues that go way beyond the illegal immigration issue.

• Love 4

Really, it seems like unless you are Charlotte or one of the bad guys like Buckley, bullets don't have as much as an effect on human beings, compared to real life.  Not only does Linder survive last week's gunshot, Hank-style, but even Sebastian's daughter manages to pull through at the end, despite being dragged around in the hot Mexican desert.  Impressive!  Still, good for Linder.  If we do get another season miraculously, I almost would be fine with Linder and Eva not coming back, and just assuming they ran off together for good, and got a happy ending.

Also had problems believing that Eleanor's father would still be strong enough to break free, and get the upper-hand over her.  But, at least it led to her getting arrested again by Sonya.  But, I got the impression that she's someone who will always be a problem for everyone, as long as she's still breathing.

Surprised that Fausto is still alive, and is being arrested instead.  It was an obvious bit, but I loved watching him finally take his cap off, in the cell.  I guess a symbol of him giving up in some ways.  Liked that Marco made Robles buzz off, and will be getting the credit for it.  I wonder if he'll accept the now vacated captain job or not. 

Looks like Daniel and Adriana are still going to press on this CIA story, and Hank is helping them with Buckley's body.  I'm glad for them, although I know this means they'll probably get into more danger.  And, I wonder what the deal was with Buckley's hints that Adriana tried to take her own life/"hurt herself" in the past.  I wonder what that was all about?

So, if we somehow get a third season, I'm guessing Sebastian will still be in play, and the CIA will continue to meddle.  Maybe we'll visit both Fausto and Eleanor in jail.  I'll guess we'll get an answer from FX soon.

Absolutely unbelievable of Hank to be pulling over that semi with false customs seals in the middle of the night while seriously injured with no backup.  Even more unbelievable to have one driver with a gun transporting, what was it, 10 tons of drugs?  CIA Buckley became near-omnipotent there at the end but was unsurprisingly dispatched by his colleagues -- too much blood for their tastes I suspect.  Linder surviving was just preposterous but I'll give them a pass because I really enjoyed Eva's arc, despite the short amount of time the writers gave it, and I hope we've now seen the last of them.

Everything wrapped up pretty neatly, but the ending could have done with an added scene or two.  Why leave Eleanor's fate up in the air like that, given the show is on the bubble?  Glad Daniel and Adriana got their story, they remain my favourite characters on the show (aside from Fausto).

I really looked forward to this every week, it really is a quality show.  I guess the numbers weren't quite there to make it a lock to return, but here's to hoping.

One last thing:  Am I crazy, or was the diner that Daniel and Adriana met the CIA woman in the same one from Sons of Anarchy last week where Juice and Chibs' scene was?  I noticed immediately and was taken aback, it looked exactly the same.

• Love 2

...I agree that the old man should have been more feeble. She could have broken him with one hand. Maybe one last burst of adrenaline?

Those were the thoughts running through my head too, but not a believable theory. Oh well. Rust Cohle and Martin Hart realistically should've died in True Detective's finale too.

...I counted at least 3 occasions in this ep alone where they cuffed someone (Fausto, his sidekick, Eleanor, I'm sure there were probably more), sat them down, put the gun away, and then turned their freakin' backs on these guys to make a phone call. Hello? What?

IDK. Maybe an attempt at something farcical?

If the show is renewed, I'll watch. If not--well, I won't.

• Love 2

I really did expect her to castrate him, especially since he was pants-less, and was surprised when she didn't.

Fausto had already done that for her. It was how he enticed her to work for him.

• Love 1

Didn't she stab him?

Nope I think she just cut his hands free in order to provoke him, I guess?  It was all a little weird.  I thought she wouldn't have wasted any time butchering him.

ETA: nice touch on the fingernails though.

Edited by pfk505

Hank wants Sonia to wait for back-up, but he takes on that truck all by himself -- and he's just out of the hospital, too.  And why did it take so long get back-up to Sonia?  It's morning before anyone shows up.

Very glad that Linder is alive, Buckley is dead,  and the bad guys are either in custody or will be soon.

Still, this episode felt a little anticlimactic to me.  I hope there's a third season, but I won't be broken-hearted if there isn't.

I really hope we get a third season. C'mon, FX. You picked up that silly piece of shit The Strain for a second season and this show on its worst day beats that show on its best. I do like that it ended in a way that there was enough closure in case it is cancelled, but it still leaves room for continuing stories for a 3rd season. If it is picked up I'd imagine Cerisola, finding Robles and possibly Galvan's trial.......maybe. Plus, Daniel and Adriana's story about the CIA, which also ties into Cerisola.

Shout out to Romina for being a BAMF while being all fucked up. I was sure she was gonna die, but I'm glad she didn't. I don't really care about all the people getting shot or beat to hell and surviving and or miraculously recovering. It's like a tenet of action and cop movies. 

I did think it was pretty funny that Marco, Hank and Sonya were all basically doing shit on their own and breaking protocols and Sonya could get fired and Marco got offered a promotion to be Captain. Ha. 

• Love 3

Holy cats, do they grow 'em tough down around the border, or what?  Hank is made of cojones.  And Linder, he's just made of true grit.  When Hank found him in the truck, I yelled at dh, "it's Linder! He could still be alive!"  Then later when the FBI guy was there with Hank, and in the background a siren started up and then faded into the distance, I yelled, "That's Linder, in an ambulance, he's alive!"

Linder and Eva's reunion - priceless.  I don't care if it's a fairy tale, or what it is.  Just loved it.

Eleanor and Daddy scene wasn't quite satisfying, but I'm glad Sonya took him down.  Agreed, he wasn't as feeble as he should have been.  Acorns. Brrr

Fausto being fooled by the girl was just flat out ridiculous, but who cares as long as it ended that boring walk-and-stumble-athon.

pfk505:  Totally agree with you about the diner looking like the same one from the Sons of Anarchy scene.  That was a weird, weird moment.  I bet it really is the same set.  Didn't you feel like you were having a Couch Potato Syndrome hallucination?

Hoping for another season, but if not, thanks, everyone, for all the great discussion.

Edited by daughtersofanarchy
  • Love 1

Boy, did Eleanor get lucky with Sonya's arrival. I don't really care what Marco does with her. As usual this show, it makes absolutely no sense for El Paso PD to fire Sonya for arresting a child murderer. Whatever, writers.

Wait, was that the issue Sonya was claiming they'd be mad over?

Next season should be more about Sonia and Marco. I think they kind of went missing this season as there were too many sidestories which were just dragged endlessly. Eleanor, Galvan, Robles, the reporters, the CIA, the DEA, the conspiracy theory, I hope we won't see any more of them, if next season comes.

• Love 2

Wait, was that the issue Sonya was claiming they'd be mad over?

I thought so, but now I think fauxphysician is right that she was worried that they would fire her for killing Eleanor's father.

For a start, I really wish the Reviewer of this show would actually like it a bit, it is annoying to say the least, keep reading in almost every review she is not enjoying it.

The finale was too much of a happy ending for the Bridge standards, but as the showrunner told to Sepinwall, FX wanted it this way..
Overall I think the season was good, better than season 1.
However, as Trois already mentioned, they need to use better Sonya and Marco and their dynamic. Fausto is a great character, Eleanor is interesting (and Potente rocks)  but I had the feeling we got more time with then than our main characters. Sonya and Marco have a great chemistry, the actors too, use it instead of throwing  it away, it is a shame.

Would love to see at least another season, preferably on Netflix, released all episodes at once.

• Love 3

I'm not sure why she'd be in trouble for killing Eleanor's father. He was strangling her, and paid no attention to Sonya ordering him to stop.

Would the issue be that she was in Mexico with a gun? Or that they wouldn't believe that the father was trying to kill Eleanor?

• Love 1

I really hope we get a third season. C'mon, FX. You picked up that silly piece of shit The Strain for a second season and this show on its worst day beats that show on its best.

So true, but I guess the question is: How many eyeballs did the show capture? Sadly, The Strain did better: http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/fx-tv-show-ratings-33426/

I did think it was pretty funny that Marco, Hank and Sonya were all basically doing shit on their own and breaking protocols and Sonya could get fired and Marco got offered a promotion to be Captain. Ha.

Good point.

I'm not sure why she'd be in trouble for killing Eleanor's father. He was strangling her, and paid no attention to Sonya ordering him to stop.

Would the issue be that she was in Mexico with a gun? Or that they wouldn't believe that the father was trying to kill Eleanor?

I think it was all about the gun. IIRC, in the first season they made a big deal about how neither she nor Marco could carry a gun when they were in each other's countries.

I thought the show ended with a big fat whimper.

Sons of Anarchy

Charlotte didn't actually die; she managed to crawl out of the house à la Hank and run to California, where she's now a cop in Charming.

Edited by dubbel zout

If it is picked up I'd imagine Cerisola, finding Robles and possibly Galvan's trial.......maybe. Plus, Daniel and Adriana's story about the CIA, which also ties into Cerisola.

These issues might percolate in the background but I think they'd go with a separate, new case as the centerpiece. This isn't a totally serialized show but operates more like The Killing.

Sonya, who literally interprets all rules and regs, thinks she'll get fired because she has no jurisdiction in Mexico yet pursued a fugitive there without notifying the Juarez authorities and ended up using deadly force as well. That's why Marco thinks they need to let him take responsibility for Eleanor and the events leading to her capture, just as he did, for the same reason, with the shootout in the motel room.

"why does Sonya talk like that"

I suppose I don't have an ear for it. I didn't think Sonya/Kruger spoke with any kind of a noticeable German accent. Her accent was kind of generic, which itself I guess would not be typical for El Paso. With all the criticism of her accent and her miscasting, I tried listening for the accent but there were only a handful of times where the rhythm of Kruger's speech or her pronunciation of d's and t's sound slightly German.

I really hope we get a third season. C'mon, FX. You picked up that silly piece of shit The Strain for a second season and this show on its worst day beats that show on its best. I do like that it ended in a way that there was enough closure in case it is cancelled, but it still leaves room for continuing stories for a 3rd season. If it is picked up I'd imagine Cerisola, finding Robles and possibly Galvan's trial.......maybe. Plus, Daniel and Adriana's story about the CIA, which also ties into Cerisola.

I too fervently hope for a third season. I know a lot of people can't stand this show, but for me, espcecially this second season, it's been pretty great.

YAY for Linder and Eva!

Don't mean to offend anyone who liked this episode, but I thought it was pathetic.  It was just full of strange directing choices - like why was Eleanor's skirt so transparent?  Who made sure her Daddy had corrective lenses, since I assume his original glasses probably wouldn't have made through his years of abuse)?  Why was Linder even in that truck?  Why was Linder wearing scrubs at the end?  At least he and Eva had a happy ending.

If it does get another season, I'll probably watch it, but I've come to hate Sonya - her writing is so inconsistent (she's all by the rules except when she's not), she's an awful detective, why can't she just use her phone as a phone without that stupid earbud? 

I suspect the old guy had glasses for watching tv.  Recall when Eleanor visited him while in the care of Fausto?  There was a tv sitting in front of his cage. I guess Fausto provided him something to do to keep him from going insane.  Just guessing.

I wonder what Cesar will do now.  Will he find a new line of work of hook up with Ray to start a new business?

What's to prevent the remaining crooked CIA agent from getting Eleanor out of custody again?  Will Monty stay out of it?  

I do hope there's another season.

Why was Linder wearing scrubs at the end?

If I had to guess, he walked out of the hospital without permission and, his own clothes being drenched in blood and probably discarded, he nabbed some scrubs from a supply closet. I've seen the trope in lots of other shows.

Cesar and his family can only enjoy their lives if Cesar gets them out of El Paso pronto. I wonder if Hank is giving him a pass since he didn't just shoot him, although that was only because everyone had to find out where the ledger was.

Absolutely unbelievable of Hank to be pulling over that semi with false customs seals in the middle of the night while seriously injured with no backup.

And then he stepped up into the back of the truck without even using his hands for balance. I'm 38 and have never been beaten to near death and I can't even do that.

• Love 1

Next season should be more about Sonia and Marco. I think they kind of went missing this season as there were too many sidestories which were just dragged endlessly. Eleanor, Galvan, Robles, the reporters, the CIA, the DEA, the conspiracy theory, I hope we won't see any more of them, if next season comes.

I agree. I think the flaw in this show was focusing on overly complex plot lines and arty directorial choices, rather than actually, you know, developing characters the audience could get care about. And I don't mean they needed to like them - I'm thinking of characters on The Sopranos or The Wire - but I guess that distinguishes the great shows from the average ones. For me, Marco is the only one that sort of fits this. Sonya, after two seasons, is still a complete cipher.

I did think this was a weak ending, whether for the season or the series, with a lot of unrealistic and ridiculous actions on the part of most of the characters.

Ms. Lark, totally word to your comment about turning one's back on perps. I kept shouting at the TV," Turn the F--k around!" Really, the handcuffed perps were so very polite.

I also hollered at Hank when he went to open the back of the truck, "Stand behind the door when you pull it open, not in front of the opening - you don't know what's in there." And Linder, who is apparently made of iron, still lives and breathes. I loved that.

Really want a third season. When will we know, does anyone have any idea. Aren't renewals and cancellations usually announced while the show is still being aired?

Want more Hank, Marco, and Sonya, working together, with subplot action by Daniel and Adrianna. And I agree with the poster who asked where they planned to publish their article.

Edited by Catherinewriter

I recently read an article about how the friendship of Rory and Paris from Gilmore Girls was the last great teenage platonic friendship, and when I was watching this episode it occurred to me how great the friendship of Adrianna and Daniel is. It might be the only truly platonic male/female friendship on TV right now. It surprises me how much I have grown to care for both of them, even Daniel, even though I've always hated Matthew Lillard. I won't go so far as to say this show has made me like ML, but it has made me really respect him as an actor. I'll even miss watching him if the show is not renewed. He does some amazing work on this show.

• Love 3

My husband can't believe this show is in danger of cancellation.  I told him I thought it was because of the first season, that cockamamie David Tate plot.  We had no guarantee the writers wouldn't get silly again.  They almost did -- I still can't make sense of the banking crisis as the impetus for involvement with the cartel. 

I feel bad for the actor who played Eleanor's father.  Its one thing for Walter White or Alan Harper to be shown in their underwear -- they get the big bucks. 

I too was balking at the magically undeadly bullets for the 'good guys'.  Who all didn't die from a torso shot?  Hank, Romina, Linder...?  But Buckley was dead before he hit the ground.  And Sonya keeps getting knocked out from head injuries and wakes up fine.  

I would've liked some come-uppance for Robles, as long as they're wrapping it up in a bow.  

I don't even notice actor's native accents anymore.  It seems like half the actors on tv are from elsewhere now.  

I hope we get another season if, for nothing else, we learn what Marco's ideas are for taking care of Eleanor.

If it is cancelled at least we know Linder and Eva are going to go off and live happily ever after with baby animals.

• Love 1

No, not that she arrested Eleanor, but that she shot someone--the Father-- while in Mexico....IMO anyway

I'm thinking it was when she and Marco went looking for the prosecutor's   notes and the two/three  Mexican cops burst in and she ended up killing a cop in Mexico when she is not legally allowed to carry a gun in Mexico

No, not that she arrested Eleanor, but that she shot someone--the Father-- while in Mexico....IMO anyway

I'm thinking it was when she and Marco went looking for the prosecutor's   notes and the two/three  Mexican cops burst in and she ended up killing a cop in Mexico when she is not legally allowed to carry a gun in Mexico