Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

It's a small change in the lyrics from Garland's "next year" to Sinatra's "from now on" and using "hang a shining star upon the highest bough" twice instead of using it once and using Garland's "until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow" the second time.  I've heard Sinatra requested the changes for the reason legaleagle mentions. I like both versions but prefer Sinatra's voice.

Oh that explains it.  That song came on last night and I heard that line for the first time, and I was simultaneously like, "Oh that's horrible!" and "How have I never noticed that before?!"

I'm watching TV the other night, but with half an eye on my phone, and I saw a commercial (I think for headphones), and I believe the song is "Marshmallow World. There are a bunch of snowmen and a human kid, who proceeds to turn up the bass on all their headphones and explode their heads, including a smirky younger snowman. Did I see that right? So, Christmas is about budding serial killer children?

• Love 4

I'm watching TV the other night, but with half an eye on my phone, and I saw a commercial (I think for headphones), and I believe the song is "Marshmallow World. There are a bunch of snowmen and a human kid, who proceeds to turn up the bass on all their headphones and explode their heads, including a smirky younger snowman. Did I see that right? So, Christmas is about budding serial killer children?

Yes, it's one of the Target ones.  I was disturbed by the violence against the snowmen. 

• Love 1

At this point, I'd explode my own head if it meant could stop hearing "Marshmallow World" every five goddamn minutes. At the rate they're showing those commercials, nevermind marshmallow worlds, it'll be a padded room that I'm living in before the holiday season ends.

• Love 8

At this point, I'd explode my own head if it meant could stop hearing "Marshmallow World" every five goddamn minutes. At the rate they're showing those commercials, nevermind marshmallow worlds, it'll be a padded room that I'm living in before the holiday season ends.

Watch out-they might bring back "The lights, the lights, the lights....."

• Love 3

I looked it up.  That abomination Marshmallow World was written in NINETEEN FORTY NINE.  I just cannot believe it.

There was a nifty infographic at some point (actually might have been an xkcd) about popular (and by popular I mean overplayed) Christmas songs vs when they were written and most are that old or older.

Although I had never heard of that song before this Target bullshit started so I guess I somehow escaped several earlier decades of misery.

• Love 3

You probably DID hear the song in past decades, but nobody hit you over the head with it, so it made little-to-no impression. Any song can become an abomination if it's played incessantly.  Marshmallow World isn't *that* awful a song - I'd say no worse than the Little Drummer Boy or Do You Hear What I Hear?.  It's just that it's now been overdone & we're fed up.

• Love 4

I agree.  Is watching exploding heads supposed to convince me to buy some Beats headphones?

I have to change the channel whenever I see this Old Navy ad with Julia Louis-Dreyfus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SIYkFlXr1Y

First, who the hell talks to their young children about their aunt's dating/sex life?  Second, how the hell does a bunch of cheap hats and gloves trump a horse?  To top it off, the kids are very rude.  Those ungrateful brats wouldn't get another thing from me ever again.

• Love 7

Hats and gloves totally trump a horse.  A horse is work.  Maybe the kids are mature enough to realize that.  It would explain why the mom thinks it's appropriate to talk about the aunt's love life.

The thing that confuses me about this series of ads is that I can't tell if it's supposed to be Julia Louis-Dreyfus or a character.

• Love 1

You probably DID hear the song in past decades, but nobody hit you over the head with it, so it made little-to-no impression. Any song can become an abomination if it's played incessantly.  Marshmallow World isn't *that* awful a song - I'd say no worse than the Little Drummer Boy or Do You Hear What I Hear?.  It's just that it's now been overdone & we're fed up.

I agree.  My husband was watching something last night and Marshmallow World came on in the background.  As far as I know, I'd never heard this song before this year, and I probably wouldn't have noticed the song in the background of the show if I hadn't recognized it as being from the commercials.

• Love 1

My new favorite holiday commercial is for Wells Fargo. Its very simple, it shows horses traveling through the snow, and then some snowmen give them their carrot noses as a snack. (Sounds weird) I thought it was adorable! The funny thing is, I thought it was for Wachovia bank until I looked it up with the intention of posting it here. Unfortunatley, I can't seem to get it to post.

• Love 3

I can't take that Big Lots commercial (that many have probably mentioned) where the singers tout: "Big Lots! Because we're not gift card people!"

I know mileage may vary, but I in no way think purchasing a gift card is lazy and don't like an ad telling me it is. Especially since I was just in a one of the Big Lots stores and they have gift cards for purchase!

Edited by AltLivia
  • Love 4

I feel like I should shop at Big Lots simply because its so nice to see a woman who isn't stick thin being featured in a mainstream commercial. On first glance I thought the commercial was for Pier1 and was absolutley shocked. Big Lots makes a bit more sense. I doubt Pier 1 will ever go in that direction. Unfortunatley (fortunatley?), I've never been to a Big Lots and always thought they were something like a CarMax. Seeing this commercial I assume they are more like a Target/Walmart type place. The song doesn't bother me too much, though I can see how it would annoy others. To me, the "surface pro 3" jingle is much worse!

Edited by Granimal
  • Love 1

The funny thing is, I thought it was for Wachovia bank until I looked it up with the intention of posting it here.

Well, you're sort of right.  Wells Fargo bought out Wachovia.

ETA: And now, after watching it, I want to sing, "Oh-ho, the Wells Fargo Wagon is a-comin' down the street; oh, don't let him pass my door. Oh-ho, the Wells Fargo Wagon is a-comin' down the street; I wish I knew what he was comin' for..."

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 5

I've never been to a Big Lots and always thought they were something like a CarMax. Seeing this commercial I assume they are more like a Target/Walmart type place. The song doesn't bother me too much, though I can see how it would annoy others. To me, the "surface pro 3" jingle is much worse!

I'd say Big Lots is an overstock kind of place. Much smaller than a big box discounter, selling overstock merchandise. I am thoroughly sick of their holiday ads.

• Love 1

I'd say Big Lots is an overstock kind of place. Much smaller than a big box discounter, selling overstock merchandise. I am thoroughly sick of their holiday ads.

Fortunately I haven't seen their ads yet, but yes, your description of the store is right on.  I shop there once in a while, but I much prefer Ollie's Bargain Outlet when I'm in that sort of shopping mood.

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 1

The fact that Wells Fargo bought Wachovia blows my mind. I had to look this up. According to Wikipedia, the last of the Wachovias (those in NC) were converted into WFs in 2011.  I couldn't find any newer information, but I would swear that I had seen a Wachovia as recently as last week (I live in NC). My partner agreed with me. Is it possible they forgot some? And is it possible they have been airing the commercial in NC with the Wachovia name tacked on at the end? I'm kidding, but really it does blow my mind.

To be on topic, I love that Apple commercial  I wish more companies would go the understated route.

Edited by Granimal
  • Love 1

Since this ad has Santa talking about some sports crap, I'm going to put it here. Has Santa saying something bout this game is so important on Christmas day, why are we talking about presents. I don't really celebrate Christmas - but sportscasters all seem to have this attitude and it has always irritated me - sports are NOT the most important thing in the world!

• Love 1
This is the "Marshmallow World" commercial I'm familiar with. It came out last year on The Cooking Channel. Drove me nuts and they are repeating it this year. It must run 6 times an hour.

I can see how that would be annoying after multiple runs although that version doesn't make me too stabby.  Still, I have to admit that if there's one station that song is made for it's the cooking channel (or food network).

The fact that Wells Fargo bought Wachovia blows my mind. I had to look this up. According to Wikipedia, the last of the Wachovias (those in NC) were converted into WFs in 2011

Wachovia was such a strong brand that when First Union bought them out, they changed *their* name to Wachovia.  (It also avoided the dreaded "F.U. Bank" nickname.)  I can easily see WF not wanting to screw with that in North Carolina, home of both the original Wachovia and FU Bank.  I used to work for a guy who said, "'Wachovia' is a Moravian word meaning 'confusion.'" 

Back to the topic of Holiday Ads:  This one makes me weepy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfkGKdXXpVM

• Love 3

I can't take that Big Lots commercial (that many have probably mentioned) where the singers tout: "Big Lots! Because we're not gift card people!"

I know mileage may vary, but I in no way think purchasing a gift card is lazy and don't like an ad telling me it is. Especially since I was just in a one of the Big Lots stores and they have gift cards for purchase!

I was going to say the same thing. Sorry, but maybe I am selfish and picky, but in a lot of cases a gift card is a fantastic gift. You are not a better person for grabbing a random lotion set for ten dollars from Big Lots for me instead of thinking, hey, Janet sure does love her coffee, I see her with a Wawa cup everyday, maybe it would be thoughtful to get her a Wawa gift card!

Also, I don't quite get the lyrics. One line kind of is hard to pick out because she sort of slurs. Is she saying "doing someone's shopping is weird, you catching my drift"? If so, then, well, what do you think gift buying is for?

• Love 1

Hats and gloves totally trump a horse.  A horse is work.  Maybe the kids are mature enough to realize that.  It would explain why the mom thinks it's appropriate to talk about the aunt's love life.

The thing that confuses me about this series of ads is that I can't tell if it's supposed to be Julia Louis-Dreyfus or a character.

What confuses me is that Julia Louis-Dreyfus is doing commercials for Old Navy. In addition to being from a rank of celebrities way above those who usually appear in their ads, she's the heiress to a fortune worth billions, so it can't be for the money...

• Love 1

Love that George lottery commercial. The giant pink sweater cracks me up.

I think the AARP commercial is good. First off, the actors are great. Second, it really gets your attention. I think it's an effective PSA.

The lottery commercial is good.

The AARP commercial.... misses the mark to me.  One, it feels like an SNL skit.  Two, it feels more like a how-to for scammers.  (Not that it's giving detailed instructions, but that it's a commercial for a website on How to Scam, like those shorties for buying tax liens etc)

In the second lottery commercial, the white guy (not featured in the one I posted - he's just sitting there) gets this really hideous figuine & he says he's taking it right back.  The black lady across from him grins and happily says, "I put absolutely NO THOUGHT into that."  and he giddily replies, "It shows!"

The kids can't be too mature, since they treat the aunt like crap the moment she's there.  Even if they don't want the horse, they could just say, "No, thank you."  It's the rudeness and ingratitude that bug me.

What confuses me is that Julia Louis-Dreyfus is doing commercials for Old Navy. In addition to being from a rank of celebrities way above those who usually appear in their ads, she's the heiress to a fortune worth billions, so it can't be for the money...

I guess for the same reason Amy Poehler does them.  I guess some people can never have too much money.  I seem to remember Julia Louis-Dreyfus doing ads for Healthy Choice, but I could be wrong.

I was going to say the same thing. Sorry, but maybe I am selfish and picky, but in a lot of cases a gift card is a fantastic gift. You are not a better person for grabbing a random lotion set for ten dollars from Big Lots for me instead of thinking, hey, Janet sure does love her coffee, I see her with a Wawa cup everyday, maybe it would be thoughtful to get her a Wawa gift card!

Also, I don't quite get the lyrics. One line kind of is hard to pick out because she sort of slurs. Is she saying "doing someone's shopping is weird, you catching my drift"? If so, then, well, what do you think gift buying is for?

While I kind of like the Big Lots ads, these are good points. 

Ditto on the gift card preference here!!!

I tell everyone who wants to give me gifts to get me three things, and three things only: nice candles, nice booze, or gift cards.

Sorry, but I'm a picky bitch about gifts otherwise and I prefer shopping for myself---plus, I typically end up regifting those gifts people give me that aren't in my three required categories anyway, because people who think they "know" my tastes often end up offending me with what they think I'd like, actually...that includes my family and friends, who have gradually learned that I'm just not into surprises gift-wise.

Not to sound ungrateful because I always appreciate the attempted gesture, but really, gift cards exist for people like me: we like what we like and would rather pick out our gifts ourselves rather than swap/return/give away yet another gift fail.

Plus, I prefer the convenience of giving gift cards.

I've had people argue with me that gift cards are "impersonal", but what's impersonal about finding out a person's favorite place to shop/eat/play, etc and give them a monetary amount to enjoy at that favorite place?!

It sure beats just plucking out one of those random, ubiquitous gift sets of bath salts/chocolates/make-up, etc you see littering the department stores every season.

• Love 3

I happen to like the Julia Louis-Dreyfus ad for Old Navy. Its actually a nice message. I think her persona, and the fact if you do happen to know she is an heiress to a fortune or a famous actress, plays into the ad and is why it works so well. Its not really clear if we are supposed to think of her as the actress we all know or someone else, but it works either way. Just ignoring who she is, its a "cool" aunt trying to impress a regular family with ponies and all her "boyfriends" when really the mom wins out with nice practical things from Old Navy. For kids it works just on that level even if they don't know who "she" is, a famous actress. Its someone trying to be supercool and extravagant kind of put in her place. For "older" viewers (parents) who do realize who she is, its hey, its Julia Louise-Dreyfuss, why is someone so famous doing an Old Navy commercial? Well in this case the fame works against her, the kids prefer mom. Again you don't have to be famous or buy fancy things, just some nice stuff at Old Navy. You don't have to be Julia Louis Dreyfuss to came out on top at Christmas, just shop at Old Navy.

The singing pregnant ladies on the other hand, hate them.

The Surface Pro 3 jingle, hate it. Nothing worse than a badly done parody song. that one is bad.

Also hate the phone commercial where the guy starts singing the 12 days of CHristmas, then says "wow I really went overboard there", or something like that, and the salesgirl says "YOu did......you really, really did"......ugghhhh, awful. You know what is awful overboard in that commercial, the dialogue pointing out how overboard he went. Its totally unecessary. Just awkward silence, some odd lingering looks and an abrupt segway to something else would have pointed out the obvious awkward nature much more succinctly than the horrible lines written directly pointing it out, not once not twice but THREE times.

This Samsung holiday ad is clearly meant to get us to say "Awww, what a cute couple Kristax (Kristen Bell + Dax Shepard) are!" but I'm not sure it does.

Since I have no idea who either of those jerks are, and don't care, they look like a couple of over privileged asswipes to me.

• Love 3