Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

I love the new H&M ad with Lady Gaga and Tony Bennett.  I may have to buy their album.

I'm always so impressed with Tony Bennett.  I'm not sure how old he is, but he remains relevant, himself, and always a class act from what I've seen.  He has a sense of humor as well that I admire.  Go him!

KFC doesn't appeal to me, but I think this commercial is really funny.  

"....put some jingle in it" karaoke guy, the ugly Christmas sweater lady and her dance moves, and the potluck spread that looks authentic (odd plates with foods you're a little afraid to eat, but you do anyway).

• Love 1

Oh, my God, that KFC bowl looks like puke.  Blergh.

LOL!! When I go to football games there's this hideous concoction I've seen that's a giant pile of French fries covered with what literally looks to be puke. That KFC thing has always baffled me.

I dunno...didn't look like there were enough dishes made with condensed soup.  There's *always* an overabundance of condensed soup casseroles at office parties.

True, but there is a lot of mysterious green stuff.

• Love 1

I dunno...didn't look like there were enough dishes made with condensed soup.  There's *always* an overabundance of condensed soup casseroles at office parties.

And everyone seems to love them!  I finally gave up trying to concoct a from-scratch dish to compete with the soup casseroles . . . so frustrating as it sits barely eaten while everyone scarfs down the "Asian" ramen noodle casserole . . .  now I just bring a vegetable tray or something.

• Love 2

Oh, my God, that KFC bowl looks like puke.  Blergh.

Haha . . . when KFC first came out with that dish, my family joked that it looked like something my son would invent. At the time he was a lunkheaded teenager who would eat huge piles of anything.

• Love 2

Is it poutine?  Poutine is fucking delicious.

Nope. I've had poutine and it is good. I think the puke I've seen is supposed to be green chili but I'm not sure. Now, real green chili over fries might be good but this stuff looks like it was originally another color before it turned green.

They make the holidays look so picture perfect and happy.and i wish they wouldn't rub in your face. So many people in this country cannot afford the food spread all the beautiful gifts, don't live in a perfectly decorated colonial house in the suburbs and relatives that look like models.

They could scale it back and show you can be as happy in an apartment, say, and with what you can afford. .Or spending the day serving a meal to the needy or going to dinner with your friends and having a small gift exchange. Stop being so greedy, quit setting the bar so high and people up for disappointment and depression, just quit.

Someone really needs to tell this to this mom in this Verizon ad.  It makes me wonder where else she has Doug "stand in" for the dad's place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1iLQCE4SjM

• Love 3

Christmas songs seem to have popularity cycles. A few years ago, I couldn't escape the multiple, horrible versions of "Walking in a Winter Wonderland" (I hate that song), and one year it was like everyone had recorded their own version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and every one of them was being played ad nauseum (Sinatra nailed that song. Now everyone please leave it alone). I guess this year it's "Marshmallow World".

• Love 1

As of last night, Pier 1 is still airing their perky instructional videos for adding Holiday Cheer to your home.

An attractive, upper middle class woman drops a paycheck on festive dust collectors and then arranges them so unexpectedly that word makes it back to Pier 1.  The company lauds her creativity, demonstrating how she highlights their products in her yuletide horror vacui.  Once her unique display is Complete, she experiences a brief decorgasm and basks in the schlock.

If you sprinkle a moderate to severe layer of fake snow on your reindeer figurines, you too will have a merrier Christmas.  Go wild and fit in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRIKSVlOy5g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpGY7XSFMBI

• Love 4

OMG! I was just going to post how much I hate that commercial! They show it constantly around here.

I can not put into words how very very much I hate this commercial. Its not just the fact that they run it ten thousand times a day but its so stupid.

The ugly chick (who looks a bit simian to me) says she's "nailing this christmas again". How the hell do you nail this christmas again. This Christmas hasn't happened yet.

I may shoot my TV if I see this one more time.

• Love 1

I really dislike the ad for, I think, Overstock.com where the woman is commenting on all the new furniture and accessories they need in order to entertain for the holidays. New furniture? Really?! If people have an issue with what I have in my apartment, they can stay the hell home.

• Love 3

The Ford ads with the kids talking to Santa on Skype about wanting cars and trucks are a little annoying.  However, I must admit these kids are better than the ones last year.

Anyone who wanted to see a Budweiser holiday ad with the Clydesdales  this year will be disappointed.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/11/24/budweiser-clydesdales-to-be-put-out-to-pasture-for-the-holidays/19492009/

I've yet to see any "Seymore Butts" necklace ads this season.  Kay Jewelers right now is using penguins pressure customers into buying expensive gifts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UekDeKhy_v4

Anyone who wanted to see a Budweiser holiday ad with the Clydesdales  this year will be disappointed.

Their "hip" replacement sounds awful.

But I guess we will get them in some form for the holidays:

As for the Clydesdales, fans shouldn't worry that they are heading to the glue factory. According to a company statement, their next assignment will be an appearance in the brand's Super Bowl ads and they also will be part of holiday ads urging responsible drinking.

I wish they'd just buy even a few ad spots and run one of the old ads that simply had the Clydesdales and a "Happy Holidays" message.  It won't feel like Christmas on TV without those.

• Love 2

Not a fan of Kmart's Joe Boxer ads this year, especially the one with the pregnant women dancing to Santa Baby.  The commercials make Kmart look spiteful since many people didn't care for the Joe Boxer men in boxer shorts commercial from last year.

I also really dislike one of Macy's holiday commercials.  It's the one with a man at a jewelry counter buying a ring to propose to his girlfriend.  The female salesperson practically throws herself at the customer, letting him know where to find her if the girlfriend tells him no.  

• Love 2

Not a fan of Kmart's Joe Boxer ads this year, especially the one with the pregnant women dancing to Santa Baby. The commercials make Kmart look spiteful since many people didn't care for the Joe Boxer men in boxer shorts commercial from last year.

I don't mind the men's Joe Boxer ads but I hate the pregnant women's version. Ick.

• Love 3

The Hallmark ad where the young guy is all sulky because he can't sleep with his girlfriend at her parents' house. Give me a break. Anyway, he tries to tiptoe into her bedroom with a card, but goes into the parents' bedroom by mistake. The dad rips open the card and reads it. The whole ad is just ridiculous and the boyfriend looks and acts like a drip.

• Love 2

I've been hearing Marshmallow World for years, but never knew that's what it was called until people started complaining about it here. I always just knew it as "that other obnoxious song that gets played constantly in my store and which I can't understand a word of." (To distinguish it from "that one obnoxious song that gets played constantly in my store and which I can't understand a word of," which I later learned to be "Christmas Wrapping.")

me ether. I never even noticed it in the commercial till people here talked about it. :)

I don't mind the men's Joe Boxer ads but I hate the pregnant women's version. Ick.

I disagree-that one had me laughing too! But I bought my warm, fuzzy pajama bottoms at the dolla store.

I like the Big Lots commercials. They don't make me want to run out to a Big Lots, which I guess is the point, but I enjoy the singing and dancing girl group. The costumes and lyrics are silly, adding to the fun. These gals have a retro, Motown vibe to them when they wiggle and shake their fingers at us.

• Love 1

At times I have suspected myself to be an over-worrier and now, dammit, I think there's an ad this year that may provide proof.

The McDonald's ad with the man who carries a wrapped, flat present box to a group of children, where it then gets set on a coffee table, opened by said children and an adorable puppy jumps out. Every time I see this ad I find myself looking for the small print on the bottom of my screen.  You know, the warning: "Hey kids!  This is a fake box. There's a hole in the table, children.  No actual puppy, or any animal for that matter, could be put in such a small box, especially one without air holes, be wrapped in shiny paper and live.  So do not do this, kids.  Do not surprise your family or your friends with a living creature you think will pop out oh so cutely like on the TV as this will instead result in tears and suffering.  Do not try this at home!!!"

In how many homes is sweet little Bobby, wrapping paper and scissors in hand, being told to step away from the family kitty cat?  (Bobby!  I said now!)

Or maybe it's just me.  *sigh*

And that Budweiser Clydesdale article is beyond depressing.

Guys, this just might be the holiday season where I realize I'm getting old.  Crap.

(And Bobby? Get the fuck off my lawn!)

Edited by amaranta
  • Love 6

Budweiser would have better luck buying microbreweries instead of trying to court hipsters, who are ironic about everything. Except. Craft. Beer.  They won't stoop to drinking Bud Light, because every hipster worth his weight in fucked-up facial hair knows that a mature reverence for ingredients and techniques is what separates the brahs from the dudebros.

On a side note, it's always weird to hear companies declare that they're rebranding themselves and pursuing a specific demographic.  I thought that was supposed to be secret, behind-the-scenes stuff.  I anticipate lots of fodder for the "Commercials That Annoy" thread.

• Love 3

Budweiser would have better luck buying microbreweries instead of trying to court hipsters, who are ironic about everything. Except. Craft. Beer.  They won't stoop to drinking Bud Light, because every hipster worth his weight in fucked-up facial hair knows that a mature reverence for ingredients and techniques is what separates the brahs from the dudebros.

Well, Budweiser could do whatever it is that Pabst Blue Ribbon did to get hipsters to drink it "ironically."  

• Love 2

I loved the Budweiser Clydesdales. Fuck the Belgians who bought out Budweiser and the young hipsters they're trying to attract.

I also miss Frankie and Louie.

What a big mistake! Budweiser's Clydesdale commercials were THE BEST of all commercials.

• Love 2

The latest Red Bull commercial features Santa's reindeer waiting outside for Santa on Christmas Eve because apparently the dude's always late. One of them goes inside to check on him and Santa flies out of the cottage with Red Bull wings and the bag of toys over his shoulder. I usually hate Red Bull's advertising, but the one poor reindeer that goes "And... and us?" when Santa starts flying away just gets me. Oh, the feels, little reindeer friend! (at least they now get Christmas off!)

• Love 1

This is a sweet commercial.  Not really centered around Christmas but has a Christmas feel to it.  Call and talk to a friend or loved one, don't text them.  Hear their voice....

Also check out those crazy 80s hair styles and OMG a land line phone?!  What they heck is that =)

Edited by Dirtybubble

and one year it was like everyone had recorded their own version of "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" and every one of them was being played ad nauseum (Sinatra nailed that song. Now everyone please leave it alone). 

At least it wasn't Judy Garland's version.  That one is the most depressing, thoughts-of-suicide-inducing version of the song I've ever heard.

• Love 1

It's a small change in the lyrics from Garland's "next year" to Sinatra's "from now on" and using "hang a shining star upon the highest bough" twice instead of using it once and using Garland's "until then, we'll have to muddle through somehow" the second time.  I've heard Sinatra requested the changes for the reason legaleagle mentions. I like both versions but prefer Sinatra's voice.