Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

I think it's the bait-and-switch that bugs me.  I love the original one, and get all excited that that's the one I'm going to see, but then get let down when it's the new one.  Also that the little girl picks the "Whew!" kiss for her cookies.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, smittykins said:

I saw the original yesterday, but the station cut it off before the “Whew!” 😟

How can you tell it wasn't the new one? Isn't the new one just the old one with an added on ending? (I haven't seen either this year, so maybe I'm misremembering.)

8 hours ago, janie jones said:

How can you tell it wasn't the new one? Isn't the new one just the old one with an added on ending? (I haven't seen either this year, so maybe I'm misremembering.)

Because in the new ad, the  girl’s hand reaches for the red Kiss about halfway into the song.

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 5
On 12/7/2021 at 12:36 AM, InDueTime said:

I guess this Samsung phone ad is supposed to be cute. But, I personally find the idea of a phone falling in love with its owner creepy. What's going to happen when she inevitably wants an upgrade? Will the phone get depressed? Possibly seek revenge? 

Same here! and she looks about 12 too.  The whole thing is cringy what were they thinking?

• Love 3
On 12/18/2021 at 1:19 PM, Crashcourse said:
On 12/18/2021 at 6:44 AM, Browncoat said:

I think it's the bait-and-switch that bugs me.

Yes, that's my issue with the new commercial.  

Also, it's jarring to hear that horn.

I actually like the horns but I just wish they had made a separate commercial all together with the father and daughter in it.  The idea is sweet and the new version of the song is fun but ITA having it come in interrupting a holiday tradition just seems....wrong *shrug*

Maybe I watch too much t.v. but I've seen both commercials get equal air play but I hate the anxiety I feel wondering if it's going to be the original or the redo...gah too much stress! 😄

• Love 10
35 minutes ago, Dirtybubble said:

I actually like the horns but I just wish they had made a separate commercial all together with the father and daughter in it.  The idea is sweet and the new version of the song is fun but ITA having it come in interrupting a holiday tradition just seems....wrong *shrug*

Maybe I watch too much t.v. but I've seen both commercials get equal air play but I hate the anxiety I feel wondering if it's going to be the original or the redo...gah too much stress! 😄

I know. I'm afraid to continue half the time. More suspenseful than Hitchcock.

• LOL 5
15 hours ago, Dirtybubble said:

I agree with this entire post; I have said the newer commercial should be re-edited into its own ad, too. I have no objection to it in theory, but doing a fake out with the classic bells just pisses me off. And whenever the bells begin, like you, I'm constantly holding my breath, wondering if the buzzkill red kiss-stealing hand will appear or not.

And even with playing both, the newer one is not improving via familiarity with me. I just get annoyed. As I did last year.

• Love 13
8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I agree with this entire post; I have said the newer commercial should be re-edited into its own ad, too. I have no objection to it in theory, but doing a fake out with the classic bells just pisses me off. And whenever the bells begin, like you, I'm constantly holding my breath, wondering if the buzzkill red kiss-stealing hand will appear or not.

And even with playing both, the newer one is not improving via familiarity with me. I just get annoyed. As I did last year.

I'm so glad Corona got the message and went back to the simple palm tree lighting up with the whistled version of O Christmas Tree. Hear that Hershey?

• Love 11

For the record, I hate the new Hershey's kisses jingle bells commercial abodmination probably more than everyone else but for reasons I can't freely express online.  Suffice it to say it's all over the Internet that people don't like it or appreciate the bullshit they pulled last year and are airing again this year.  Make your own dmn NEW Hershey's kisses ad and leave the ORIGINAL CLASSIC one alone!

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

For the record, I hate the new Hershey's kisses jingle bells commercial abodmination probably more than everyone else but for reasons I can't freely express online.  Suffice it to say it's all over the Internet that people don't like it or appreciate the bullshit they pulled last year and are airing again this year.  Make your own dmn NEW Hershey's kisses ad and leave the ORIGINAL CLASSIC one alone!

It could have been such a cute commercial with dad and his little girl baking cookies together. There was no reason to screw with an existing, very beloved commercial in all of it's charming simplicity.

• Love 12
On 12/21/2021 at 11:43 AM, peacheslatour said:

I know. I'm afraid to continue half the time. More suspenseful than Hitchcock.

I swear, my stomach actually gets tied up in knots.  I feel so silly because it's just a commercial, but I dread the thought of the horn playing. 

• Love 5

I can't be sure because I haven't been watching TV in the last few days, but I think the horrible one might not have the conductor Kiss clearing his throat (it does sound like a "him") and tapping his invisible baton on his invisible music stand before they begin ringing. Somebody verify this, but if I'm right that might be the clue that it's about to suck.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, CoderLady said:

I can't be sure because I haven't been watching TV in the last few days, but I think the horrible one might not have the conductor Kiss clearing his throat (it does sound like a "him") and tapping his invisible baton on his invisible music stand before they begin ringing. Somebody verify this, but if I'm right that might be the clue that it's about to suck.

I just saw the new one, and the conductor Kiss did clear his throat.  

• Useful 2

I don't watch a lot of major network TV and miss a lot of commercials, but haven't seen the Coke polar bears in a long time and wonder if those commercials are dead.  Come to think about it, it seems like a lot of the old standards are gone. The Budweiser Clydesdales?

• Love 6

Bumping this thread because I vaguely remembered this from the pinned notes & went back to double-check:

Here's a short and sweet version of posting in the Commercials forum:

• Be Civil with each other. Snark the commercials not each other
  • No politics. This includes all political ads. 
  • Super Bowl Ads can go in the Seasonal Commercials. 
  • Please don't make new topics. The current set fits all needs.

Edited by SoMuchTV
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

In the Super Bowl ad for some kind of electric vehicle, that seemed to be mostly the actual footage from the intro to The Sopranos— were the two people at the end the real Meadow and AJ  actors?

Indeed they were.  And I actually teared up when I saw AJ... 

• Useful 1

I don't think I saw a lot of Valentine ads this year. Maybe I just didn't notice.

The Toyota Super Bowl ad was my favorite: 

The Coinbase ad was bizarre. (There where too many crypto ads for me, but that's for another discussion.) However, it did remind me of this:

Edited by InDueTime
  • Love 3
On 2/15/2022 at 12:08 PM, Browncoat said:

No way am I scanning some random QR code bouncing around on my TV.  That ad both confused and irritated me.

Yeah it was quite annoying.  It was a takeoff of Pong. Which had the honor of being probably w/in the first 5 computer games ever made. Back in the day.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, ForumLou said:

Yeah it was quite annoying.  It was a takeoff of Pong. Which had the honor of being probably w/in the first 5 computer games ever made. Back in the day.

I got that part, having played many many games of Pong back in the day, but with nothing else to go on, I’m not scanning any QR codes.  I barely want to scan the ones associated with something I am familiar with.

• Love 3

Yes, it's September 5th. Yes, I'm posting in the Holiday Commercials thread.

Because, just a moment ago, there was already an Airwick ad that talked about "this holiday season"!

IT'S NOT EVEN MID-SEPTEMBER. Summer is not OFFICIALLY over!

I like the holidays, but this is BEYOND ridiculous!

• Fire 2
  • Applause 2
  • Love 2

But...But...  I just saw a skin care commercial saying something about needing it this summer.

I once saw someone complain about Xmas stuff already out in a store in the mall in JULY.  Well, it was a crafts/hobby shop and they were needlework kits.  Some people (me) would have to start in July to get it done by NEXT Christmas,18 months later.  I see no reason to complain about that, but AIRWICK?  No.  Unless they're promoting Pumpkin Spice Airwick. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Love 1