Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

On 11/18/2018 at 1:34 PM, Bastet said:

So in the numerous countries without Halloween, is it Christmas season year-round?

Come to think of it, I have never been out of the country in November or December.  So I indeed have not experienced how early this stuff starts elsewhere, but I know it's too damn early here.

I was in Rome over Thanksgiving weekend back in 2006, and I didn't notice any premature Christmas celebrations or commercials going on.  They do have a huge Christmas market on the Piazza Navona in early November, but by the time I got there, it had been over for a couple of weeks -- I had just missed it!

Edited by legaleagle53
6 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

I was in Rome over Thanksgiving weekend back in 2006, and I didn't notice any premature Christmas celebrations or commercials going on.

Watching the news on France24 (the French-in English-version of the BBC WorldNews, which is on a number of PBS digital services in the US) yesterday, they showed that the Christmas lights along the Champs-Élysées were lit yesterday (Thanksgiving Day).

On 11/17/2018 at 1:01 PM, scarletine said:

I hate Hobby Lobby, and will never shop there, but dammit...I love this commercial.

I'd only seen the short version, where she sees the sheep being shorn and then takes the quilt out so it won't be cold.    The longer version explains it better.

On 11/18/2018 at 3:49 PM, kariyaki said:

Well, I don't know how it is everywhere. But that's what I remember when I was in the UK for awhile a few years back. Solid Christmas everything as soon as Halloween was over. I was taken aback about how early they start it there, but they have no Thanksgiving, so... that's just how it is. They also had no idea what Black Friday was either, I kind of envy them that they're spared that horrid sales tradition.

DD moved to England some 18 years ago.  Back then, the restaurants were encouraging holiday bookings for office parties, etc., in late October/early November, but the merchandise wasn't so prevalent that early.  I asked her, without Thanksgiving, how do they know when to start shopping?  In some areas, Guy Fawkes is the signal.  "Remember, remember the 5th of November."  In more recent years, they've started having the earlier and earlier Christmas creep just like we do.

I love the  Heathrow bear adverts.  

First try with attaching a video.  Did it work? Yes!

2018;

2017: 

2016:

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I'd only seen the short version, where she sees the sheep being shorn and then takes the quilt out so it won't be cold.    The longer version explains it better.

DD moved to England some 18 years ago.  Back then, the restaurants were encouraging holiday bookings for office parties, etc., in late October/early November, but the merchandise wasn't so prevalent that early.  I asked her, without Thanksgiving, how do they know when to start shopping?  In some areas, Guy Fawkes is the signal.  "Remember, remember the 5th of November."  In more recent years, they've started having the earlier and earlier Christmas creep just like we do.

2018;

2017: 

2016:

So adorable! I love how he is so inept with the shortbread displays! And the baby bears...squeee! 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, OmegaX123 said:

I don't watch much TV lately, has anyone seen the creepy incest-ish Folgers commercial yet? Or did they stop using that one because of people either complaining about the implications or shipping Peter and his sister?

Because you asked ...

• Love 3
On 11/24/2018 at 4:31 PM, zoey1996 said:

2018;

2017: 

2016:

Those bears are adorable. I lived in London for awhile, and always felt like they did Christmas so well with the street lights, mince pies and spiced wine, and some really heartwarming ads on TV. Also, there's nothing like hearing Slade's "Merry Xmas Everybody" in every shop along Oxford Street. 

This YouTube channel does yearly compilations of Christmas ads from the UK. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, spaceghostess said:

Eeek. WTF is with all the eye contact? That's what pushes it over the line.

Haven't seen that Folger's coffee commercial in several years.  At first the I though the guy was a young Joel McHale.  I always hated how big brother just came from WEST AFRICA and he smells the Folger's as says "AH! Real coffee!" . 

Um, isn't the west African region one of the top producers of finest coffee in the world?  I'm pretty sure they had some locally grown coffee there.  Bet it was better than middling Folger's.

• Love 6
49 minutes ago, HighMaintenance said:

Haven't seen that Folger's coffee commercial in several years.  At first the I though the guy was a young Joel McHale.  I always hated how big brother just came from WEST AFRICA and he smells the Folger's as says "AH! Real coffee!" . 

Um, isn't the west African region one of the top producers of finest coffee in the world?  I'm pretty sure they had some locally grown coffee there.  Bet it was better than middling Folger's.

Yep, it's like coming home from Vienna and going "AH, real pastry." Lame.

• Love 5
On 11/27/2018 at 3:01 PM, Brattinella said:

Oh, I remember a hellish experience with Cold Duck.

Me too.  My mother wanted to celebrate when Tiny Tim and Miss Vicky got married...maybe on The Tonight Show? Johnny Carson?  So mom, my sister-in-law (my brother was in Vietnam), me, and Mr. Kemper (who I was dating at the time) watched and celebrated with the Cold Duck.  My sister-in-law went home and hugged the toilet for hours; future Mr. Kemper and I were extremely hung over.  My mother was fresh as a daisy the next morning.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, HighMaintenance said:

They're not saying otherwise; they're just suggesting that Folger's smells better than any other "coffee" the West African fellow tried. That could have just been some dreck at fast food joints. And why is he commenting on the smell? Would his opinion be different after he tasted it?

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, Kemper said:

Me too.  My mother wanted to celebrate when Tiny Tim and Miss Vicky got married...maybe on The Tonight Show? Johnny Carson?  So mom, my sister-in-law (my brother was in Vietnam), me, and Mr. Kemper (who I was dating at the time) watched and celebrated with the Cold Duck.  My sister-in-law went home and hugged the toilet for hours; future Mr. Kemper and I were extremely hung over.  My mother was fresh as a daisy the next morning.

My experience involved me, a bottle of Cold Duck, and a hillside covered with succulents that I became intimately close to.

• Love 5

From Wiki:

The wine produced was given the name Kaltes Ende ("cold end" in German), until it was altered to the similar-sounding term Kalte Ente meaning "cold duck". The exact recipe now varies, but the original combined one part of Mosel wine, one part Rhine wine with one part of Champagne, seasoned with lemons and balm mint.

Sure doesn't taste like any of those ingredients, does it?

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

From Wiki:

The wine produced was given the name Kaltes Ende ("cold end" in German), until it was altered to the similar-sounding term Kalte Ente meaning "cold duck". The exact recipe now varies, but the original combined one part of Mosel wine, one part Rhine wine with one part of Champagne, seasoned with lemons and balm mint.

Sure doesn't taste like any of those ingredients, does it?

Thanks for the info.  I can only remember the taste as it came back up.

• Love 7
5 hours ago, smittykins said:

Just saw the Corona Christmas tree ad!  Still waiting for the M&Ms and Santa.

We've been dealing with three sick kids this weekend, so we've been planted in front of the TV. We've seen the M&Ms and Santa several times.  And is it my imagination, or did they redo the Hersheys bells? The end when the last one goes "whew" seems different. 

4 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

We've been dealing with three sick kids this weekend, so we've been planted in front of the TV. We've seen the M&Ms and Santa several times.  And is it my imagination, or did they redo the Hersheys bells? The end when the last one goes "whew" seems different. 

They did re-do/update it. The new one has been playing for a few years now; I'm not sure how long.

• Love 1

Kohl's seasonal ad, with the tag line, "give joy, get joy" had me puzzled for a few days. I thought they were offering the Chinese New Year's greeting, "gong hei fat choi." The woman doing the voice over may need to learn to enunciate a little more. And I apologize if something was supposed to be capitalized, I wasn't sure.

• Love 5

Don't know if it's been covered, or if anyone else feels the same way,  but I detest that smug, smirking son of a bitch in the Buick commercial who says that what he wished for is already under the tree and they pan to a new SUV with a tree tied to the roof....just want to smack him

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Don't know if it's been covered, or if anyone else feels the same way,  but I detest that smug, smirking son of a bitch in the Buick commercial who says that what he wished for is already under the tree and they pan to a new SUV with a tree tied to the roof....just want to smack him

Any commercial where someone gets a car as a Christmas gift annoys me. 

• Love 12

That awful Jim Carey movie was so bad I can't even look at stills from it.

Jim Carey needs to distances himself from Christmas movies. I heard his turn as Scrooge was pretty disastrous too.

The Nordstrum ad where everyone is running around the store at a manic pace is doing WONDERS for my anxiety. Like getting ready for Christmas isn't stressful enough!

• Love 4
3 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

We took the kids to see the new Grinch movie. It was pretty good. Funny and cute. The Jim Carrey abomination I refuse to look at. I still prefer the original one. 

Girlfriend and I went to see it tonight - for obvious reasons, we were interested in seeing Fred the Moose.  We really enjoyed it as well, never saw the Jim Carey version.

• Love 3
17 hours ago, jcbrown said:

The IHOP commercial with the guy sniveling over his stolen Grinch pancakes is incredibly annoying. Doesn't help that I don't understand why anyone would order green pancakes and I understand even less why people have to keep trying to reinvent The Grinch. The perfect version was already made in 1966.

A friend took her daughter there for Grinch food (we don't have IHOP in our area).  It was incredibly underwhelming.  It looked terrible and nothing like the menu.

17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That awful Jim Carey movie was so bad I can't even look at stills from it.

I was dead-set against it, but won tickets when it was in the theater, so my husband convinced me to go.  It remains the only time that I got up and walked out of a movie, about 15-20 minutes in.  I had nothing invested in it, took my popcorn and drinks, and we left.

• Love 5

Cindy Lou Who "was no more than two" but they always age her up in recent adaptions to make her part in the plot plausible on film, whether she's done by Taylor Momsen or Cameron Seely. Taylor's a surname and Cameron is a boy's name on a girl but Cindy Lou Who is a girly girl. Dr Seuss would have been impressed.

2 hours ago, funky-rat said:

A friend took her daughter there for Grinch food (we don't have IHOP in our area).  It was incredibly underwhelming.  It looked terrible and nothing like the menu.

I was dead-set against it, but won tickets when it was in the theater, so my husband convinced me to go.  It remains the only time that I got up and walked out of a movie, about 15-20 minutes in.  I had nothing invested in it, took my popcorn and drinks, and we left.

I LOVE Jim Carey in The Grinch.  It’s my 3 year old grandaughter’s favorite.

My whole family saw the new Grinch movie and loved it too.

No chance I’m eating green pancakes though.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jacqs said:

Cindy Lou Who "was no more than two" but they always age her up in recent adaptions to make her part in the plot plausible on film, whether she's done by Taylor Momsen or Cameron Seely. Taylor's a surname and Cameron is a boy's name on a girl but Cindy Lou Who is a girly girl. Dr Seuss would have been impressed.

Cameron is also a surname.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, jcbrown said:

I understand even less why people have to keep trying to reinvent The Grinch. The perfect version was already made in 1966.

Why did someone remake Miracle on 34th Street? Ripping off something that was already successful is safer than writing something new. So is casting a big name to star in it instead of an unknown, even if the big name doesn't really fit the role. They're guaranteed a profit. At least, that was the theory. Smartphones have made it possible for disappointed audiences to quietly pass the word before they've even seen the whole movie.

• Love 4