Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

On 9/25/2018 at 9:36 AM, mmecorday said:

This will be the first Christmas without Toys R Us ads on TV! Remember this one?

They just announced they aren't going out of business!  They're going to rebrand, as something like Geoffrey's Toys, or something like that.

• Love 4

RE: Toys R Us:  They actually did go out of business.  They exited Bankruptcy because going out of business enabled them to do that.  Someone is trying to "revive" the brand, but that likely means it's going to turn in to a "zombie" online-only company, ala Montgomery Ward or Circuit City (visit their sites if you don't know what I mean - it would take a long time to explain, other than to say that it's just a name-only thing, and the current company resembles nothing of their former selves).  I'd love to see a return to their brick and mortar stores, but I don't see it happening, sadly.  The best hope would be for them to either open up "store within a store" boutiques by partnering up with someone who doesn't do a ton of toys (ie: Macy's, or similar) or to co-brand with a store's existing toy department (ie: Target).

• Love 6
5 hours ago, funky-rat said:

RE: Toys R Us:  They actually did go out of business.  They exited Bankruptcy because going out of business enabled them to do that.  Someone is trying to "revive" the brand, but that likely means it's going to turn in to a "zombie" online-only company, ala Montgomery Ward or Circuit City (visit their sites if you don't know what I mean - it would take a long time to explain, other than to say that it's just a name-only thing, and the current company resembles nothing of their former selves).  I'd love to see a return to their brick and mortar stores, but I don't see it happening, sadly.  The best hope would be for them to either open up "store within a store" boutiques by partnering up with someone who doesn't do a ton of toys (ie: Macy's, or similar) or to co-brand with a store's existing toy department (ie: Target).

I had no idea Montgomery Wards still existed, even in website form!  I have fond memories of poring over the Monkey Ward Christmas catalog every year.  Apparently I'd spend the day after Christmas going back through it and listing everything I'd marked and didn't get, at least according to my mother.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I had no idea Montgomery Wards still existed, even in website form!  I have fond memories of poring over the Monkey Ward Christmas catalog every year.  Apparently I'd spend the day after Christmas going back through it and listing everything I'd marked and didn't get, at least according to my mother.

It exists in name only, for the most part.  It's essentially a knock-off of Fingerhut now.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

We loved getting the Sears Christmas catalog. Pages and pages of toys.

• Love 19
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

We loved getting the Sears Christmas catalog. Pages and pages of toys.

It's one of the things I feel sorry that kids today miss out on.  Waiting for the Sears Wish Book to arrive, then pouring over it endlessly, trying to decide what I wanted for Christmas (then not getting any of it :) ).

• Love 11
On 9/23/2018 at 7:55 AM, cynicat said:

I can't help but chuckle at this Halloween Kit Kat commercial.  "I'm sorry for what I did to your face".

This ad got a chuckle out of me. I also like the "Kat lady" one from a while back.

Maybe it's me, but it seems like there were fewer Halloween ads this year than before. Meanwhile, I've seen Christmas themed ads all the way back in August. 

• Love 3

If we’re seeing lots of perfume ads I’d say some holiday is coming up. I was in BB&B yesterday and noted they are stocking up on stupid things I guess you give when you don’t want to put some thought into a gift.

• Love 3

Yes, perfume and jewelry ads count as Christmas commercials.

There's a commercial for green bean casserole with Christmas music that has been playing for a couple weeks.  Before Halloween.  Kill me now.

• Love 4

question: why do so many Christmas ads use little girls rather than little boys? Is it just the whole "dresses and perfume and flowers" image?

Moms make most household spending decisions. Moms were little girls and identify with them. Same reason commercial husbands are too dumb to live. 

• Love 4

I saw a commercial this morning for a spin brush which suggested that leaving Santa a tooth brush was better than putting out cookies for him. I can imagine poor disappointed Santa collecting an electric toothbrush instead of the sweets he's accustomed to. "Ho, ho, ho. Billy's going on the naughty list now."

• Love 3

I saw the commercial when a guy through different ages of his life runs to the window to see if he got a Benz for Christmas yesterday. I don't really understand why he looks when he's like 8; even if there was one, he wouldn't be able to drive it.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Popples said:

I don't really understand why he looks when he's like 8; even if there was one, he wouldn't be able to drive it.

I do. I started lusting after a certain brand of car many years before I could drive. Even if he couldn't drive it, Mom or Dad could and he could ride in it.

• Love 3
On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:28 AM, Haleth said:

There's a commercial for green bean casserole with Christmas music that has been playing for a couple weeks.

You can be comforted (or not) by the fact that the inventor of green bean salad just died. Yes, somebody working for Campbell soup had to invent green bean salad, and then live with the shame for over 60 years! 

http://www.grubstreet.com/2018/10/dorcas-reilly-inventor-of-green-bean-casserole-dies-at-92.html

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Me, too.  It was a Jaguar XKE.

My dad had one. I tried driving it once but I'm so short I had to practically lie down to reach the clutch. And then I couldn't see over the hood. ;-(

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 4

Oh, Christmas commercials.

It seems like there are a lot of retreads this year. I do like the one for a car company (don't know which one), where the girl is in Arizona (?) trying to decorate a cactus or something. In the middle of the night, her parents whisk her away and she wakes up in a snowy area. The one eye-rolly thing is they show her running into the cabin. It's snowing hard as heck, but the three perfectly parked SUVS (whatever brand) don't have a flake of snow on them. lol

I hope GMC has retired that tired campaign of the obnoxious people making fun of their neighbors for buying gifts and decorations while they bought themselves a new SUV. Those make me so stabby.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Me, too.  It was a Jaguar XKE.

But this ad is for Mercedes, which a kid back then would have considered a boring car for really old people. It's only relatively recently that the company has been trying to expand their customer base.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

My dad had one. I tried driving it once but I'm so short I had to practically lie down to reach the clutch. And then I couldn't see over the hood. ;-(

Are you related to me?  Being short sucks. ? I had the same problem with a Ferrari and a Lamborghini. Of course, my husband's Silverado is a pain to drive too. 

Just now, QuinnInND said:

Are you related to me?  Being short sucks. ? I had the same problem with a Ferrari and a Lamborghini. Of course, my husband's Silverado is a pain to drive too. And green bean casserole is icky. YMMV. 

• Love 1
On 11/7/2018 at 12:48 AM, Maximoose said:

Speaking of retreads, any bets on when the Hershey Kisses one will show back up again? It was showing its age pretty badly last year from what I recall

It's not Christmas until the Hershey Kisses chime.

• Love 18