Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

I'm glad the holidays are almost over just so that I don't have to keep seeing that terrible Duracell ad with the crying kids and Santa getting fired.

Also, this Microsoft Surface ad was way better than that Apple IPad "What's a computer?" ad?

• Love 1
(edited)

I've noticed that the Reese's Easter egg commercial has been updated this year.

Then:

Now:

I'm not sure I like the new one better overall, but I like that chocolate bunny has a more expressive face.

Edited by InDueTime
  • Love 1
On 3/2/2018 at 8:59 PM, InDueTime said:

I've noticed that the Reese's Easter egg commercial has been updated this year.

Then:

Now:

I'm not sure I like the new one better overall, but I like that chocolate bunny has a more expressive face.

I think the animation in the new one is a little better; but they're not really that different. But since they did update it, I guess it'll be running for a few years now!

The Shari's Berries commercial is cute, but the berries are awful.  They taste like chemicals and the chocolate is cheap.  I ended up tossing them in the trash.

• Love 1

I hate the time around Mother's Day. My mother was cold and distant with me while my brother was her favorite. The commercials always show what I did not have. I do not hate Mother's Day nor am I jealous of people who have great relationships with  their mothers it is hard seeing the great relationship shown when you did not have it.

• Love 8
39 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I can't for the life of me figure out what the parrot is saying.

"Shari's Berries, holy shit!" and then "So damn good."

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/9/2018 at 4:10 PM, Bastet said:

"Shari's Berries, holy shit!" and then "So damn good."

I just saw it on TV, and they changed it, the parrot says "Shari's Berries, so frigging delicious!"  I wonder if they got complaints, even with it bleeped?

ETA:  I just saw the version posted above, with the bleeps, so apparently they are running two versions of the ad.

Edited by Moose135

These two Christmas commercials - The child in the Woolworths one looks too old to believe in Dasher, Dancer, Prancer and etc. while i wonder how they got the blonde haired girl to exclaim "Santa" as if the yellow phone was real:

Please don't complain about "Christmas items on sale in September". I worked in retail. We only had limited storage space and the suppliers send an awful lot....

• Love 3
1 hour ago, JacquelineAppleton said:

Please don't complain about "Christmas items on sale in September". I worked in retail. We only had limited storage space and the suppliers send an awful lot....

When I had my flower shop we had to order our Valentine's day flowers in Aug/Sept. if not we wouldn't get the discounts. Of course they didn't ship them until Feb. We had to look at our sales figures YTD and then balance that against what we sold last V-day and on top of that, the day of the week that V-day was going to fall on affected sales. Week days were busy as shit. The weekends? Not so much because people did other things.

• Love 2

I read an article once bemoaning all the early Xmas stuff - and it mentioned a particular store where I shopped as having crap out in July already.  I didn't see that as so egregious because it was a craft store. If you're gonna embroider a Xmas pillow or something, some people HAVE to start in July to get it done.  THAT made sense to me. Other retail stores putting out stuff now would be just greedy and stupid.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Other retail stores putting out stuff now would be just greedy and stupid.

It makes sense if the store has a "seasonal" section and they don't do Halloween or Thanksgiving. It doesn't look good to have empty shelves.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, JacquelineAppleton said:

One of the places i worked at was a bakery and we had to put out our Easter fruit buns early for that reason.

Five months early?  Wouldn't they go bad?

I've already decided where to put the Christmas tree this year...ok, it's a very small house so there is really only one place it could go, but I've thought about it. It's not so much about Christmas, although I do love it, it's more about wishing it was cold outside. Jesus, I loathe summer.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, ABay said:

I've already decided where to put the Christmas tree this year...ok, it's a very small house so there is really only one place it could go, but I've thought about it. It's not so much about Christmas, although I do love it, it's more about wishing it was cold outside. Jesus, I loathe summer.

Are you me? I feel the same way. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Five months early?  Wouldn't they go bad?

Ever read the list of ingredients? Some bakeries don't want to worry at all how long something sits on a shelf (and may put the list on the bottom of the container to keep customers from noticing all of the chemical additives).

1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Ever read the list of ingredients? Some bakeries don't want to worry at all how long something sits on a shelf (and may put the list on the bottom of the container to keep customers from noticing all of the chemical additives).

My bad --  I assumed "bakery" meant a place that baked goodies on site, fresh.

• Love 3

Cracker Barrel puts out its Halloween stuff in July.  I live in Florida, and this always made me happy because it reminded me that Florida's dreadful summer would eventually be over.  Sorry, not a commercial, but there was logic to my madness.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

My bad --  I assumed "bakery" meant a place that baked goodies on site, fresh.

No, they do it too. The same chemicals that'll keep something edible on a shelf for weeks will make it seem fresh for a couple of days.

Just for Christmas in July.  It will go away after this week - until the end of October.  I won't start watching until the day after Thanksgiving...

My TV was out last Christmas so I'm enjoying getting a chance to watch the movies I missed back then and seeing the snow makes me feel cooler in this heat.

Can't wait til Christmastime when I can watch all of the specials I missed last Christmastime!

And except for the newest Hallmark Keepsake Ornament - no Christmas commercials.

Merry Christmas-in-July!

28 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

And the Hallmark channel is already playing Christmas movies.

They preempt their usual programming for that Christmas dreck every July, then give us a return to normalcy for a few months, and start it up again -- for almost all of November through January or something awful like that.  It's all stunningly awful, but they've done it for years now, so obviously the ratings justify it.  Go figure.

Since this about commercials, the ads for the "Christmas in July" shitfest on Hallmark bug me because a) um, no (see the whole "shitfest" thing), b) even if I wanted to watch Christmas-themed programming at some point in my life, no entire month would be the time, but certainly not July, c) this specific strain of the genre is particularly awful, and d) I live in a climate where it's 90-100 (and occasionally hotter) in July, and I vastly prefer summer to winter, so watching even non-crap set in "winter wonderland" wouldn't be appealing this time of year.

• Love 7

Cracker Barrel puts out its Halloween stuff in July.  I live in Florida, and this always made me happy because it reminded me that Florida's dreadful summer would eventually be over.  Sorry, not a commercial, but there was logic to my madness.

That's why I never understood why people take their summer vacations in Florida! Go in winter, people, unless sweating through your clothes is your idea of paradise.

Back to school ads are hitting the airwaves hard these days. That means those Party City commercials will be airing soon.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

They preempt their usual programming for that Christmas dreck every July, then give us a return to normalcy for a few months, and start it up again -- for almost all of November through January or something awful like that.  It's all stunningly awful, but they've done it for years now, so obviously the ratings justify it.  Go figure.

Since this about commercials, the ads for the "Christmas in July" shitfest on Hallmark bug me because a) um, no (see the whole "shitfest" thing), b) even if I wanted to watch Christmas-themed programming at some point in my life, no entire month would be the time, but certainly not July, c) this specific strain of the genre is particularly awful, and d) I live in a climate where it's 90-100 (and occasionally hotter) in July, and I vastly prefer summer to winter, so watching even non-crap set in "winter wonderland" wouldn't be appealing this time of year.

I swear last year they started mid October. Just when I'm in the Halloween mood my DH is watching that smarmy crap on Hallmark.

I didn't want to point this out for fear of being called an ELITIST but putting on Christmas movies and music on in November must work for the average person - which the kind of person on these forums isn't as we are a lot more invested and intellectual in the issues.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, mmecorday said:

That's why I never understood why people take their summer vacations in Florida!

We did just to find out if my husband can stand the heat when we retire there in a few years.  (Incidentally it was hotter at home.)

18 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Back to school ads are hitting the airwaves hard these days.

I miss the Staples "Most Wonderful Time of the Year" and Alice Cooper back to school commercials.  2 more weeks!

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I miss the Staples "Most Wonderful Time of the Year" and Alice Cooper back to school commercials.  2 more weeks!

Lots of Staples stores have been closing, we may not see the commercial this year.

On 7/20/2018 at 12:02 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

I noticed early this week they'd already stopped on their Movies & Mysteries channel.

Yup.  They did the Christmas stuff on that channel first.  Now it's Hallmark Channel's turn.  And because it's just one week for Christmas in July, I've thoroughly enjoyed it, especially because as I said, outside of the Hallmark Christmas Keepsake Ornament commercials, there's been no Christmas commercials. 

I fully admit that I'm being a crotchety old woman who hates technology, but the Office Depot ad where mom and kid do all their shopping from their tablets makes me sad.

Not only because my only baby graduated high school in 2016, but also because I just loved school shopping.  Both when I did it for myself with my mom as a young lass on the first day of school with the lists I got from each teacher, and taking him during August with the one list that was mailed home in the summer.

Technology is great.  It also makes stuff less fun.

• Love 10

Mojoween, I agree with your thoughts. I know things have changed exponentially since I was a child (back in the 1950’s) and am so glad for this technology that makes everything so much easier. Just like I’m talking to you right now! However, I do also know that we’re losing the personal touch with our families, friends and neighbors. It’s to easy to just email or text our loved ones rather than pick up the phone to talk and hear their voices. I’ve also noticed that our young people are already losing their social skills. That, to me, is the worst part of this social media stuff. I don’t have the answer to this delimma but hope our children with our grandchildren can find a good balance. 

• Love 2
On 8/8/2018 at 4:17 PM, mojoween said:

I fully admit that I'm being a crotchety old woman who hates technology, but the Office Depot ad where mom and kid do all their shopping from their tablets makes me sad.

Not only because my only baby graduated high school in 2016, but also because I just loved school shopping.  Both when I did it for myself with my mom as a young lass on the first day of school with the lists I got from each teacher, and taking him during August with the one list that was mailed home in the summer.

Technology is great.  It also makes stuff less fun.

Picking out my lunchbox was the highlight of my fall.

• Love 13
12 hours ago, JacquelineAppleton said:

@Gam2 @mojoween and remember the old saying "familiarity breeds contempt"? being able to easily contact your family and friends just more quickly reminds you of their stress-making or irritating characteristics.

That's why I love email and texting, I don't have to talk to them unless I feel like it.

• Love 4