Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

I saw my first Christmas commercial of the year already. Two-plus. Weeks. Ago. It was K-Mart (which makes it either better or worse, since there is no K-Mart here, so I don't have to even consider giving them my business, but at the same time, we used to have K-Mart here when I was a kid and it was one of my favourite stores back then), and it was almost a parody of other stores doing Christmas commercials as early as they do, talking about 'this isn't a Christmas commercial', and 'imagine it's for a birthday. For your entire family. In December.' All the while Santa, elves, coniferous trees, and other signs of Christmas are rushing past the (presumably fake) employee saying all this stuff.

The commercial itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNRcg5NRaXs

I see your KMART ad, and raise you this priceless gem

http://youtu.be/9PVhIMr4ScI

I'm not even sure where to begin.  But let me start by saying I can't tell you the last time someone purchased underwear for me as a gift, I also can tell you I've never bought a grown man underwear as a gift.  Second, what song are they playing with the bells at the beginning.  Third, just no, just no no no on this commercial, there has to be a better way to sell boxers than men thrusting and shaking their junk at me.  I like my boxer ads old school, put Marky Mark into some Calvin's and call it a day.

Here's the first Target holiday ad this year.  I'm surprised they didn't put a Black Friday/2 Day Sale ad out first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gDbpUIGX7M

Halloween is over....let the Christmas ads begin!

As far as I know there's like 3 or 4 Thanksgiving commercials tops.

I imagine they'll start airing those crescent roll commercials soon.

There's also the McCormick ad where the uncle sneaks around the kitchen and putting his nasty fingers in the Thanksgiving food.

Speaking of annoying Kmart holiday ads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nQTu9m2IYw

I am biased because I love Christmas!!! I've already started watching Hallmark Christmas movies (Yea, I'm one of those people) but I saw some online poll the other day where the majority of people thought stores should wait until after Thanksgiving to start putting up Christmas stuff. I for one put up my decor the day after Thanksgiving so I like that the stores have Christmas up early so I can go ahead and buy my replacement lights, new stuff, etc and have everything I need to spend the weekend decorating without having to wait until December. I also only have a few more people to shop for and have already finished shopping for my kids and husband with 90% of it already wrapped. Now, I am 110% against Thanksgiving Day shopping at midnight and black friday in general. Thank god for Layaway. I might miss out on some deals but you will never catch me in a store the Friday after Thanksgiving or on Thanksgiving. 

Also, I'm such a sap that it really doesn't take much for a Christmas commercial to make me cry. I like the folgers commercial with the big brother coming home to surprise everyone. It's been a year since I've seen my own baby brother (he is in the Navy) and if he surprised us like that I would be a bucket full of tears! 

• Love 2

It's November 5, I am officially sick of Christmas commercials - especially jewelry. Usually this doesn't happen until mid December.

I used to work at a hotel, they played Christmas carols 24 hours a day from the day after Thanksgiving until the day after New Years.  Around December 5th I wanted to strangle everyone. Fucking Jingle Bell Rock.

Edited by RealityGal
  • Love 4

I see your KMART ad, and raise you this priceless gem

http://youtu.be/9PVhIMr4ScI

I'm not even sure where to begin.  But let me start by saying I can't tell you the last time someone purchased underwear for me as a gift, I also can tell you I've never bought a grown man underwear as a gift.  Second, what song are they playing with the bells at the beginning.  Third, just no, just no no no on this commercial, there has to be a better way to sell boxers than men thrusting and shaking their junk at me.  I like my boxer ads old school, put Marky Mark into some Calvin's and call it a day.

i think it's really, really cute  myself.

• Love 10
  I like my boxer ads old school, put Marky Mark into some Calvin's and call it a day.

Seriously, pick Ben Cohen or Rob Kazinsky as your spokesmodel, show him walking around the house for 60 seconds in your brand of underwear, and I will buy some out of gratitude whether or not I ever actually wear them.

Seriously, pick Ben Cohen or Rob Kazinsky as your spokesmodel, show him walking around the house for 60 seconds in your brand of underwear, and I will buy some out of gratitude whether or not I ever actually wear them.

Y-A-S-S...yass to Ben Cohen, I'll just buy them to imagine him in them :)

i think it's really, really cute  myself.

I think it must have been a win, so you're in the majority.  I personally don't like the idea of ding-a-lings waving, thrusting and gyrating at me.  But like I said, I'm in the minority, because I think it was a big winner for KMart.

I know we're talking about Christmas commercials, but I noticed this year that they did not bother showing the M&M Halloween commercial this year.

"Put your hand down."

I see that just about every year, but they didn't show it this year.

"Marshmallow World" has kind of a retro vibe; is it a new song?  It's pretty damn ear-wormy, but I do think the commercial is cute.

If we are talking about favorites:

I may be biased, though -- I just polished off a hunk of cheddar.

Edited by beadgirl
  • Love 3

There's a holiday-themed commercial for QVC now. I swear the song that accompanies it goes something like "the snow on the ground is falling faster now." What? Are we talking some weird kind of snow that falls upwards like the rain in Vietnam according to Forrest Gump?

And thanks for getting "Marshmallow World" stuck in my head, y'all.

"Marshmallow World" has kind of a retro vibe; is it a new song?  It's pretty damn ear-wormy, but I do think the commercial is cute.

If we are talking about favorites:

I may be biased, though -- I just polished off a hunk of cheddar.

Best commercial ever. Santa at our house is lactose intolerant, but Mrs. Claus (and let's be honest, I do 99.999% of the Christmas shopping/wrapping/stocking stuffing) would be quite happy with a cheese tray and a glass of pinot noir.

• Love 1

We leave Santa a few cookies, the reindeer get some carrots but Santas favorite is chick fil a chicken nuggets. Gotta keep the big man happy :)

I had never heard the Marshmellow World song until a few years ago. My husband made me a mixed cd with that song on it and I think it's cute :)

I've had the Dean Martin version of "Marshmallow World" in the Christmas playlist on my ipod for years now. :)

I saw the Hershey's Kisses bell choir on TV this afternoon.  I usually wait until at least after Remembrance Day before I start thinking about Christmas, but I'll allow it. :)

• Love 2

Who is that car commercial aimed at?   If you can afford a BMW or a Lexus for someone else, you are not going to suddenly decide to buy one as Christmas present based on an ad.    

And add me to the list of folks who got "Marshmallow World" stuck in their head.    THank you ever so much.

• Love 2

My guess if you want to know who the luxury auto ads are aimed at, simply track down the "previously-owned" on the titles of all the second hand lux models on sale this time next year.

Granted I find both Melissa Joan Hart and Anthony Anderson annoying in anything.  But are the Wal-mart ads they are doing supposed to be selling stuff that you find desirable?  The stuff looks like it was yanked from the set of a rent to own ad.

Edited by heebiejeebie

I saw the Christmas palm tree Corona ad last night.  It made me happy because it's one of my favorites, and I hadn't seen it in years.

This is my fav, by far.

Infinity is now doing their own give-a car-for-Christmas ads, too. I don't remember seeing them before this year.

I've never heard Marshmallow World before this season, and if that's the original version, I can definitely understand why the song never caught on - the whole thing just kind of whimpers along with almost no melody and a bunch of horrible key changes. Or is this Target once again taking a normal song and trashing it into something that makes me want to stab my ears with a blunt object, like those infernal tone-deaf kids slaughtering well-known rock songs for back-to-school sales every year?

• Love 2

I think this qualifies as a holiday commercial - Flo comes from a dysfunctional family - and they are having a holiday meal. Flo is apparently the only successful member, one sibling has a baby, one is "blogging", dad & mom are fighting and all are played by the same actress. I didn't realize that at first, hadn't looked at the screen.

• Love 3

And another first of the season... Jane Seymour butt necklaces! Yay!

Seymour Butts are back? Oh dear...

I've had the Dean Martin version of "Marshmallow World" in the Christmas playlist on my ipod for years now. :)

I saw the Hershey's Kisses bell choir on TV this afternoon.  I usually wait until at least after Remembrance Day before I start thinking about Christmas, but I'll allow it. :)

This has always been the unofficial 'it's really Christmas season' signal in my household - well, this, Christmas Daddies (a Canadan holiday telethon thing), and the Santa Claus Parade (specifically the one in I believe Ontario, Canada, the one that gets aired on YTV and possibly CTV, unless the CTV one is a different one that happens somewhere else).

Ha, I knew the holidays were on the way when I saw my first Seymour Butts jewelry commercial.

My favorite holiday commercials have always been the ones with food in them.  I don't care if they are for products that I would not normally buy or recipes I would never make (such as marshmallow-topped casseroles), they all look good in the commercials.  Butterball turkeys, McCormick spices, Pillsbury crescent rolls, etc.  If the people or the music in them are annoying, I just concentrate on how good the food looks.  Bring 'em on! 

• Love 3