Type keyword(s) to search

Holiday and Seasonal Commercials

• Start Topic

Since it's that time of year again, maybe we can have a topic thread exclusively for holiday ads.  If there's too many threads already, maybe the Mods can take it down.

If anyone can suggest a better title for the topic, let me know.  :)

Just 30 more days until we're rid of the Party City Thriller remix ad.

Edited for grammar.

Edited by InDueTime
  • Love 1

I saw my first Christmas commercial of the year already. Two-plus. Weeks. Ago. It was K-Mart (which makes it either better or worse, since there is no K-Mart here, so I don't have to even consider giving them my business, but at the same time, we used to have K-Mart here when I was a kid and it was one of my favourite stores back then), and it was almost a parody of other stores doing Christmas commercials as early as they do, talking about 'this isn't a Christmas commercial', and 'imagine it's for a birthday. For your entire family. In December.' All the while Santa, elves, coniferous trees, and other signs of Christmas are rushing past the (presumably fake) employee saying all this stuff.

The commercial itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNRcg5NRaXs

Well, that kind of makes sense, since it's for layaway.  Some people will need the head start to get it all paid for.  I read a 'letter to the editor' once that was complaining about Xmas stuff being in stores already in LATE JULY!!!  Well, duh.  The store in question was a craft store.  Yeah, I'm gonna need a few months to embroider that pillow for Xmas. Get over it.

If they want you to buy, gift-wrap and take the stuff home NOW - that's a problem.  But I'm not bothered by layaway ads or crafting kits.

I AM bothered by the damn Pumpkin Spice showing up in everything, though.

• Love 5

I love pumpkin spice and look forward to pumpkin spice products becoming available.  I hoard pumpkin spice Kisses whenever I find them (sometimes they sell out before I can buy them!).  But I hate how it's a Thing now.  Why do there have to be big fucking announcements about it.  Like, now we're permitted to say it's fall because people are selling pumpkin spice-flavored chemicals.

I finally got my hands on a bag of pumpkin spice M&Ms. Target sold out last year and never restocked. And they taste like...chocolate. There might be a slight, slight hint of PS, but it's pretty slight. Oh well. 

I'm pissed at Party City for not having the "Devil Baby" at the end of their commercial this year!  So cute I look forward to seeing it every year. He's in the end of this one;

Ugh.  I saw an ad for how to make meals from your leftover holiday turkey.  It's October!  I don't have holiday turkey yet!!!

Could it have been a Canadian commercial? Because Canadian Thanksgiving (one of the few 'turkey' holidays) is in just a couple days. Or was it an obvious Christmas thing - ie: reds and greens, maybe a tree and/or a star, etc?

Mmm, make turkey stock and put it in the freezer for a soup base later. *drool*  I already put a can of chicken broth in the baking bag with the turkey, so I'll have plenty of turkey gravy. Then simmer the carcass/skin for said turkey stock. I put juniper berries and fresh rosemary in with the turkey, so your stock has a good, herby start. Once it's refrigerated, the fat rises and solidifies and you can just pop it off the top before you freeze the stock.

I'm sorry, what was the topic? ;)

• Love 3

Can we post our favorite holiday commercials? If so, I don't know why, but I've always loved when Peter comes home for Christmas and makes Folger's coffee. I don't even like coffee, but it's probably due to them running it every year throughout my childhood as long as I can remember.

• Love 5

This could also go in Unpopular Opinions, but I HATE the Folger ad! Not Peter, not the nameless sister, but the mother in the original ad. There's just something about the way she says "you're home" that makes me all stabby. Like, oh, I have a daughter? Who cares? My precious little prince is home. Get the coffee cups, Cinderella.

• Love 3

Last week I was in Home Depot and the Christmas stuff was already up. Getting Halloween candy at the grocery store this morning, I noticed that the opposite side of the aisle had Christmas items. Poor Thanksgiving. Just a speed bump on the capitalism highway.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 4

Poor Thanksgiving. Just a speed bump on the capitalism highway.

Of course it is; the only things you can sell for Thanksgiving are turkey, cranberries and table decorations.  You can sell ANYTHING for Christmas.  (Don't get me wrong here; I love Thanksgiving!)

• Love 4

I have this theory: if people of of any race/religion/culture want to become just another part of the American experience, what they really need to do is monetize their big celebrations. Opening restaurants to share food culture is a great start, but if you really want to become mainstream, find a way to make your major religious days profitable for Walmart.

• Love 5

I have this theory: if people of of any race/religion/culture want to become just another part of the American experience, what they really need to do is monetize their big celebrations.

Have you seen the Hannukah and Kwanzaa displays in the stores.   THey found your theory and LIKE it.   Seriously as a kid, I only read about Hannukah.   Now I can get Hannukah fabric at Jo-Anns (would love someone to commission a quilt using that fabric it is GORGEOUS)

Hell, Tide and Cheer should be sponsoring the celebration of Holi with those colored powders and water balloons that people throw at each other.

I initially read this as a list of three, and wondered why Hell was sponsoring Holi. LOL

Also saw a Outback commercial tonight that ended with the silhouette of a kangaroo riding a broom against a full moon. I laughed.

• Love 6

It isn't really I-hate-Christmas-ads season till the first Lexus holiday spot featuring "that" cursed theme.

Heard the Mercedes Benz one last night.   Is that close enough?   It was all about buying your loved one a car for Christmas.

• Love 1

I sincerely hope we're not subjected to that idiot Target broad this year.

I didn't like those either. When they first started, I didn't know that the woman was a standup comedian. Anyway, usually Target Christmas commercials (and their regular ones) are creative and enjoyable. I hope this year's batch are fun.

• Love 1