Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

I'm really on the fence about this show so far...

On the plus side, I've never seen Maggie Q in anything else before, so I was kind of curious about her and so far, I like her in this.  And I like creepy subject matter as much as the next person, so the show's premise might keep me interested as long as they don't show people being horrifically murdered or tortured every week.

I'm not sure what to make of Dylan McDermott's character.  Does he know that he has a problem with his own stalkerish behavior and is he trying to overcome it (kind of like how some people who have problems of their own are drawn to the field of psychology) or punish himself?  Or does he just get some perverse pleasure from working in this department and will his stalking escalate?  I guess I'm mildly interested in seeing how this is played out.

On the negative side, I was annoyed by some of the things already mentioned in previous posts. 

I'm going to bring up something that will probably get me flamed here, so I'm hesitating to say it, but here goes.  The interaction between Dylan McDermott and Maggie Q regarding her breasts was unnecessary and offensive.  But the conversation where he said that he thought she might be open to physical compliments because of the way she was presenting herself wasn't, well, completely wrong.

I was really starting to get annoyed when I first saw Maggie Q's character in the low cut silk blouse with her very visible bra thinking, "why the hell is a woman working in a department like this wearing something so inappropriate?" so I was glad when McDermott's character addressed it later.  But then looking back on it, it did seem like kind of a pointless waste of time in the episode.  I'm not sure what the point of it was, but maybe they'll revisit the idea of Maggie Q's character intentionally inviting attention to herself in future episodes as others have speculated.

What's with the opening/closing of the curtains in Maggie Q's place?  Do stalkers appear only at night?  Is this some ritual to give us a hint that (oh no!) someone is/was/will be stalking her on every episode.  Maggie, close the curtains and leave them closed--you don't seem to be home much anyway.

This.  Was really annoying to me.  It did seem kind of ritualisic the way she methodically went from window to window closing all of those flimsy see-through curtains.  Why didn't she at least have wooden blinds or something that would provide more privacy??

I did enjoy Maggie Q's kick-ass takedown of the teenaged stalker at the end, but it did seem very unrealistic and stupid unless, like others have speculated, her goal was to make him come after her.  I guess I'm interested to see how she deals with that in future episodes, so I'll keep watching for now...

• Love 2

I run hot and cold on DM.  I was a fan of the Practice, and enjoyed him in Steel Magnolias but his recent roles he comes off as smug.  This was no exception.  My "new fall show to test" slate has filled up, but after this, I doubt I'll be back for seconds. 

I will probably watch for a while just because I love Maggie Q, and Dylan McDermott is easy on the eyes even if he won't be winning any acting awards soon.

My biggest issue witted show if Maggie's character had been stalked before why walk around in a house while it's dark out curtains open, locking windows and doors while half dressed?

Working around stalkers would make me so paranoid my house would be locked up tighter than a prison!

• Love 2

My issue is more with Maggie Q's cliche tough gal cop who can handle herself but has secrets. I'm sure she'll grow on me but I was more interested in Dylan McDermott and Elisabeth Rohm's final scene then I was in anything else happening throughout the episode.

Except for maybe that bit with the college stalker kid at the end... who's the actor playing him?

...one appears to be something of a stalker himself and the other is clearly a victim of being stalked herself.

Which is why this show is doomed to failure.  Because it is possible to ask too much of the process of Suspension of Disbelief.

I found this painfully stupid.

Thank you.

Who talks to their boss like that even if they're thinking it, especially on their first day on the job?

Especially on their first day on the job!

Sheer curtains?  Really??

Which were carefully and thoroughly closed in an earlier scene, but casually left open just when StalkerBoy comes a-visitin!

Would someone actually think they could dress provocatively [...] but think that only attractive and respectful suitors should be allowed to take notice and make comments?

Sorry -- aren't you describing a significant portion of womankind?

he never really looked longingly or wistfully at his son...

Most of the photos on his wall didn't even include his son's image.  They depict the wife!

• Love 1

Except for maybe that bit with the college stalker kid at the end... who's the actor playing him?

Erik Stocklin. A year ago, he played a guy who stalked an Asian shrink on the ABC Mistresses, so he's got a bit of typecasting going on.

I totally did not pick up on the idea that Beth intentionally attacked Perry so that he would stalk her instead of Eric.

I don't know where to go on this one.  I don't quite agree with any of the gratuitous comments, because if you ARE going to show this kind of crime being as brutal as possible in displaying it is probably necessary to communicating the gravity of the situation.  And I even sort of buy where they are coming from with Dylan McDermot's character.  He's creepy as shit, but assuming the kid actually IS his, they're toeing the line on a setup that slightly justifies his behavior--although not really since in reality he'd have legal recourse he could take rather than being an assmunch who follows them around to see his unacknowledged kid from a distance.  Clearly the one totally over the top area is Maggie No Last Name's vigilante sidelining.  

There's a ton that just plain sucks though.  Are we supposed to believe Maggie would have sheer curtains?  The moment I saw that I was "what the fuck"?  As for her sexy unbuttoned blouses?  It just sounds like a Hollywood writer's idea of how to show an unapologetic cop rather than how an actual unapologetic cop probably would act.

I dunno.  It wasn't worthless, but there are flaws you can drive a truck through.

Also, Elisabeth Rohm?  Still can't act her way out of a paper bag.

• Love 4

I really liked Dylan McDermott on "Dark Blue". Did not see "Hostages" (Yet). He plays Detective Jack Larsen,that transfers to follow his son, Ethan, and ex, Amanda Taylor.. So he had stalking issues of his own.

Also Detective Beth Davis, (Maggie Q., who was on "Nikita" ,which I haven't seen) (yet), who has been stalked, it seems by the way she makes sure her place is secured at night.

Team is rounded out by Profiler Janice Lawrence and Ben Caldwell. Janice seems to like Jack.

COTW2, well one of them had College student Perry Whitley harassing Eric for sleeping with someone. Eric Bates looked familiar. I had seen him on "The Secret Life of The American Teenager". But in my book he could kick Perrys butt. Liked Beth having a "talk" with Perry. But she left curtain open and he is watching her. Is she setting him up?

COTW1 is the guy that throws gas on girls. He toasted one in her car,Kate Edwards. Not cool! What set him off? I thought maybe instead of backing up her car, ( I know she was scared), she should have gunned it and hit him.

Lori Carter was attacked in parking elevator.Then after hospital visit, taken back to her place to change by Police, and she was attacked there as they waited outside? No one heard her muffled screams? Larry Myers was a stalker. No one saw the rolled up carpet he crawled out of??

The ceiling peep hole I would have thought would be easy to see? Also the comment,"Looks like we have DNA, lots of the sticky stuff!" I figured that Curt Wild(Wedell Brey on "Bones")Gym instructor, was a suspect by being a known actor(to me).

Also like John M Jackson as Douglas Jefferies, He played on "JAG" and "Bones" as the leader.

Cases kind of ran together, have to watch a 2nd time.